2017-2018 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hm, interesting. When I contacted them, they said it had to be done by then! I'll be slightly annoyed if we just had to be registered by then, because I would've put registration off until later to save the money.

Either way, it's a bit annoying that they make us begin this process so early because you have to pay for the services when you register. Most schools don't require the background check and all of that stuff until matriculation; I loved RVU but I'm still waiting to hear from a school higher up on my list, and it sucks that I had to spend the $140 to get the process started before hearing from the other school.
Which is a super valid point. I wonder if that is a possible reason that they have their first deposit so low. I feel like a lot of other schools have a much higher deposit by December 14th.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Which is a super valid point. I wonder if that is a possible reason that they have their first deposit so low. I feel like a lot of other schools have a much higher deposit by December 14th.
I didn't think of that-- that could definitely be why.

Are they still sending out interview invites? I haven't been rejected on the portal (submitted 9/26, FILEC 10/27) but I also haven't heard a peep! Just wondering if interviews are still happening or if my chances are shot for this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they still sending out interview invites? I haven't been rejected on the portal (submitted 9/26, FILEC 10/27) but I also haven't heard a peep! Just wondering if interviews are still happening or if my chances are shot for this cycle.
Yes, RVUCOM-SU is still extending interview invitations and will continue to do so for the next couple months. Sit tight, you should hear something soon.

Yes, RVUCOM-SU is still extending interview invitations and will continue to do so for the next couple months. Sit tight, you should hear something soon.
Thanks!

I actually only have my application submitted to the CO campus, but I've been debating submitting to SU as well. I don't know why I didn't just do both at the same time, but I wasn't thinking, obviously. Is it too late to submit the secondary? Thanks for all your help!

Thanks!

I actually only have my application submitted to the CO campus, but I've been debating submitting to SU as well. I don't know why I didn't just do both at the same time, but I wasn't thinking, obviously. Is it too late to submit the secondary? Thanks for all your help!

I would submit the secondary. You never know unless you try!

Is there a deadline for the immunizations? I was accepted in September, so far I have completed the drug test and background check. I am assuming I am at about the same place as others accepted around the same time as me.

Is there a deadline for the immunizations? I was accepted in September, so far I have completed the drug test and background check. I am assuming I am at about the same place as others accepted around the same time as me.
Just has to be done by matriculation (or at least be in process if you have to redo something like Hep B).

Sorry if this was already addressed, but does anyone remember where to send thank you notes for our interviewers from the CO campus?

Sorry if this was already addressed, but does anyone remember where to send thank you notes for our interviewers from the CO campus?
To admissions; they'll forward them to the right person

Does anyone know where I can find a list of Colorado’s clinical sites for third year and how much time is allotted for dedicated board prep?

Any reason this tax bill will affect us anymore negatively being at a for-profit school? No change to our financial aid eligibility? Someone on Reddit said there's a lower cap on max loans meaning some people, especially MD/DO Ph.D, will have to take private loans likely. Anything else that would affect us during these four years? Obviously there's the whole interest deductions and all that. Trying to read it myself but man there's a reason I didn't go into law. It doesn't really affect my decision to go here, just whether or not I need to find a way to get some other private loans down the road. And unfortunately I can't do the HPSP

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can find a list of Colorado’s clinical sites for third year and how much time is allotted for dedicated board prep?
is it in the packet that we got at interviews? I remember hearing how much dedicated prep time but I can't remember if that was reading it as well in the curriculum overview

Members don't see this ad :)
is it in the packet that we got at interviews? I remember hearing how much dedicated prep time but I can't remember if that was reading it as well in the curriculum overview
Found out from a current student they give you about 6 weeks (though can vary slightly depending how you set up your schedule).
I didn't notice a list of actual rotation sites for 3rd year but I'll have to double check. Seems they split up Denver into certain zones and that many students are able to rotate nearby the school from the student I spoke with (off SDN) :)

People that interviewed on 11/28, we should hear back tomorrow (12/4), right?
Anxiously waiting...

Last edited:
Does anyone know what were RVUCOM's average Step 1/Complx 1 scores? Where can I find this information?

Send them to the office of admissions.

Thanks!

It's not too late.

ACCEPTED to CO campus!!!!! :D :D Interviewed on 11/28

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Accepted to CO Campus! Just got the call! At a loss for words! Interviewed 11/28.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted to CO. Interviewed on 11/29.

How long did it take you guys to see your completed background check accounted for on the portal? PreCheck already did mine and I saw the report and everything, but pre-med paranoia is kicking in as I wait to see that little check mark on the portal....

How long did it take you guys to see your completed background check accounted for on the portal? PreCheck already did mine and I saw the report and everything, but pre-med paranoia is kicking in as I wait to see that little check mark on the portal....
After you posted this I went to go check my portal, which wasn’t loading. I thought maybe it was undergoing an update. Anyways...I went to go check my portal today and it now says “jenzabar university” and doesn’t look anything like RVU portal even though it’s an RVU link o.o will post picture later. It is so bizarre....

After you posted this I went to go check my portal, which wasn’t loading. I thought maybe it was undergoing an update. Anyways...I went to go check my portal today and it now says “jenzabar university” and doesn’t look anything like RVU portal even though it’s an RVU link o.o will post picture later. It is so bizarre....
6hnvad.png
[/IMG]

That used to happen to me last year. It had something to do with the URL. If I actually clicked on the link it would work but if I tried typing it in or copying it then I would get sent to that website. Also happened on my phone... I don't know if that's what is going on for you though.

Good luck!

That used to happen to me last year. It had something to do with the URL. If I actually clicked on the link it would work but if I tried typing it in or copying it then I would get sent to that website. Also happened on my phone... I don't know if that's what is going on for you though.

Good luck!
Thanks for letting me know! I was so confused lol. I am on my phone and don’t have my laptop with me so I’ll try that when I get home.

I got on a computer and was able to check, mine showers up within a few days. It was kinda hidden though. On the buttom right corner of the acceptance tab under “file status” it has a completion date next to background check and drug screening

I made my first deposit payment but I'm wondering if I have to pay the background check/drug screen fee if I'm still unsure if I will be attending next year? Can I go through those items when I know for sure that I'm going to CO next year? Rocky Vista is my first choice for DO schools however I'm still waiting to hear back from my state MD schools.

I feel the same way, but when I emailed admissions, they told me that they would like accepted students to be registered for the drug test and background check by the date that the first deposit is due (I've already paid for everything, I just hadn't actually gone to do the drug test). I figured I would rather be safe than sorry, even if I had to shell out even more money.

Rejected to the SU campus on the portal today.

Last edited:
I got on a computer and was able to check, mine showers up within a few days. It was kinda hidden though. On the buttom right corner of the acceptance tab under “file status” it has a completion date next to background check and drug screening
Mine still doesn't show up :( Maybe they don't send them the results until I complete my drug test? I haven't done that yet so that could be it...I'll call by next week if it doesn't show up. Thanks for letting me know!
I made my first deposit payment but I'm wondering if I have to pay the background check/drug screen fee if I'm still unsure if I will be attending next year? Can I go through those items when I know for sure that I'm going to CO next year? Rocky Vista is my first choice for DO schools however I'm still waiting to hear back from my state MD schools.
Can confirm what the above poster said-- I'm in the same shoes as you and it sucks to lose the money, but it's what it is.

Mine still doesn't show up :( Maybe they don't send them the results until I complete my drug test? I haven't done that yet so that could be it...I'll call by next week if it doesn't show up. Thanks for letting me know!

Can confirm what the above poster said-- I'm in the same shoes as you and it sucks to lose the money, but it's what it is.
Just do it. It's not worth losing a solid school's acceptance over $140.... My .02, anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
Just do it. It's not worth losing a solid school's acceptance over $140.... My .02, anyway.
I am! I've just had finals going on so it's been really busy. I'm planning on going tomorrow.

Utah's Facebook group page has been renamed "RVUCOM-SU Class of 2022" for anyone wanting to find it

Hi, does anyone know if a stethoscope is included in the tuition? I want to get one for christmas but don't want to if its included.

Hi, does anyone know if a stethoscope is included in the tuition? I want to get one for christmas but don't want to if its included.

I don’t think anything is included. They said they have a day where different vendors come out so we can buy stethoscopes and otoscopes and all that jazz. I’m asking for a Christmas stethoscope too:)

Is there a facebook group for the CO campus? All I seem to find is a group for SU.

I was accepted to the CO campus last week! Yay! Still waiting to hear if I got accepted to any DO schools closer to home. I'm sure it's already been posted somewhere in here but can someone fill me in on what needs to be submitted to hold my spot? I know I have to pay the first deposit in 30 days, but what about the matriculation agreement, photo release form, and the background check and drug screening? Are those due at the time of the first deposit? Thanks in advance!

I was accepted to the CO campus last week! Yay! Still waiting to hear if I got accepted to any DO schools closer to home. I'm sure it's already been posted somewhere in here but can someone fill me in on what needs to be submitted to hold my spot? I know I have to pay the first deposit in 30 days, but what about the matriculation agreement, photo release form, and the background check and drug screening? Are those due at the time of the first deposit? Thanks in advance!
There's some conflicting information about this, so you can call and ask, but I was told I had to have the background check & drug screen completed by December 14th, as well as pay the first $250 deposit.

Others have said they were told they just had to register for the background check & drug screen. This might be the case for you since you were just accepted and December 14th is in 4 days haha...I would call and clarify.

You do need to sign the matriculation agreement, but I don't believe the photo release form is necessary yet.

Dang this is an awesome find! I was wondering how hard this would be if someone didn’t have a PCP. Great find.
Yeah, I don't have a PCP either so I was a little concerned. Glad I found this and could help others!

If you go through a PCP your insurance might cover them. I went through a lab for one only to get the booster from my PCP and have him tell me he would have done them and they would have been covered with my insurance. Kinda sucked throwing away 100 dollars to a lab. Plus you will probably have to find a PCP anyways for the matriculation physical.
Unfortunately I don't currently have health insurance. I know I will need to get it before matriculation, but I really need to get started on the titers within the next few weeks so I'll need to be paying out of pocket.

Thanks!

I submitted my secondary to RVU-UT on 11/22 and received my II two weeks later on 12/5! Interviewing tomorrow. I think it's definitely worth a shot to submit the secondary!

Awe gotcha that makes sense then. You might not need it before matriculation but if you do get on a plan you may want to see how that plan works with the school insurance. Some plans qualify to have the school insurance waived others don't. I know a lot of us did just about everything to find ways around being forced on the expensive school plan but for some people it was the way to go.
Thanks for the advice!

So, we're good as long as we have a date next to our background check & drug screen, right? All that's left is to pay the deposit?

So, we're good as long as we have a date next to our background check & drug screen, right? All that's left is to pay the deposit?
That’s my understanding yes :) said the titers arent due for several months near the time of matriculation.

Waiting to hear back results for drug screen. How long did it take to find out for you guys?

just kidding... takes 24-48 hours and you have to request a copy from precheck as they don't post the results.

Time to make that deposit

Last edited: