2017-2018 Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay I am looking there as well. But the drive was manageable?

During year 2, yes. Your "in class" time gets cut in half during OMS-II. I would say it would probably be better to live closer to campus during year 1 because you have required lab time every day.

Okay I am looking there as well. But the drive was manageable?
Drive from LODO is 45 minutes in rush hour. Anywhere you live in Denver is going to be 800+/mo. Not sure what Parker is exactly.

Members don't see this ad :)
In case anyone else runs into this, my provider did not have a stamp so I emailed rvusentryMD and was told to have her write a letter on official letter head stating she did not have a stamp or produce another form on offical letterhead.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Just withdrew my acceptance to RVU. I hope it goes to one of you fine folks!!!

I booked the Radisson (it's in the list they give on the portal) because they offer free shuttle service to/from airport and the school, hopefully it's reliable
I can confirm that the shuttle was very reliable from the Radisson. There was a group of 5 or 6 of us that took the shuttle and we were the first to arrive on interview day!

Withdrew my acceptance to SU. Didn't get a good vibe during interview day and the uncertainty with rotations was problematic. Hope me seat goes to one of you peeps.

Drive from LODO is 45 minutes in rush hour. Anywhere you live in Denver is going to be 800+/mo. Not sure what Parker is exactly.

Ya I would hopefully avoid rush hour. I’m planning on 1,000 a month. I have the HPSP through the navy so I’m budgeted for a nice apartment. I went to college in Colorado so many of my friends live in Denver and some want to do a 2 bed 2 bathroom with me.

Are the recorded lectures and online materials compatible with an iPad Pro?

Reactions: 1 users
Any hotel recommendations for the Colorado campus? I plan on flying in the night before. Also, would you guys recommend getting a rental car or just uber to campus on interview day? Any insight would be appreciated!

Did you have your interview yet? If not, I recommend the Radisson! They have a complimentary shuttle service that picks you up from the airport to the hotel (and back), and from the hotel to RVU (and back). + anywhere within a 5 mile radius of the hotel. :)

UPDATE: Nevermind, I figured it out. :p

So... I completed the background check on 12/3 but the report still hasn't shown up as completed on my RVU page... should I contact the school? I haven't done the drug test yet. Also, I paid for it already, but when I log-in to studentprecheck, there's a button that says "continue to complete the order"... but when I click on it, it starts me over from scratch. -.- any advice?

If anyone is interviewing on the 17 and wants to split a rental car or uber. Holla.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know who is in charge of the Facebook page but to whoever it is, do you think we should be more careful in who we add? It seems two people were recently added only to advertise their house that's for rent.

I don't know who is in charge of the Facebook page but to whoever it is, do you think we should be more careful in who we add? It seems two people were recently added only to advertise their house that's for rent.
A questionnaire can be added. I'm going to add on to the Utah campus, it would probably help for Colorado as well.

Interviewing on February 1st AM! Wondering how they structure their interviews? Thanks!

I've cancelled my interview with RVU-CO due to high cost of living in the Denver/Parker area. Hopefully, one of you waiting will receive an invitation soon!

Whelp, throwing down that second deposit sure hurt! Hahaha. Exciting though:)

Reactions: 5 users
Whelp, throwing down that second deposit sure hurt! Hahaha. Exciting though:)

I'm gritting my teeth and waiting a few more days to do it. XD

I do appreciate how RVU staggers them, though. Not all schools are that nice about it!

Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew my app post-acceptance before paying the second deposit. I loved this school but got in somewhere higher up on my list. Good luck to everyone else!!!!

Just withdrew my app post-acceptance before paying the second deposit. I loved this school but got in somewhere higher up on my list. Good luck to everyone else!!!!
Congrats! That's awesome. Do you have any advice for the interview? And will they ask questions about GPA, MCAT? Or is it more general?

Congrats! That's awesome. Do you have any advice for the interview? And will they ask questions about GPA, MCAT? Or is it more general?
This interview was super chill. I interviewed back in October but they told us that they had accepted ~90% of the people they interviewed at that point. If they interview you, they want you, and you basically just have to be normal during the interview haha. I didn't get any questions about my GPA or MCAT. I got the standard "why DO", "why RVU", "why medicine" and some hypothetical scenario questions like "what would you do if xyz". It was mostly conversational...there's 2 interviewers and I can't speak for all of the panels of interviewers, but mine were really awesome and I actually had fun during this interview more so than during any other. I'm sure you'll do great-- good luck! :)

Sad to lose you but congrats! Where are you heading?

Just butting in real quick- but when I sat for my interview the first thing they said to me was more or less "We're not gonna ask you about your GPA or MCAT. If you are sitting here, you were already evaluated to be qualified to attend here and become a physician. We want to learn about you as a person and if you're a good fit for this school."

The interviewers don't know your mcat/grades at the time of the interview :)

Reactions: 2 users
A questionnaire can be added. I'm going to add on to the Utah campus, it would probably help for Colorado as well.
I think the older students who are trying to pass off their places might be ok since they’d be third years we could ask questions to, but that other lady was weird lol

Anyone interviewing AM on February 1st at the Utah Campus??

Interviewed on 1/11 at the SU campus, waiting to hear back is the hardest part of the process!

I hear you! Interviewed 1/5 and they said that we should hear back this week.
I know! I've been checking my email every five minutes, and keeping my phone on the loudest possible ring tone.

Accepted to the SU campus! That school is in such a beautiful location! I interviewed on 1/3/18 and just received the call.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted to the SU campus! I'm so excited!!! The RVUCOM curriculum is by far my favorite, and I got a great vibe during my interview.

It's funny how the cycle works, because I applied to SU in December after a comment in this thread--and now, it's my first acceptance!:soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
So. I was supposed to interview on 1/17. My flight from New Orleans was canceled due to inclement weather. Admissions said they would be happy to reschedule me. Debating whether it's worth it anymore since I already put a 2k deposit down elsewhere. Someone convince me.

So. I was supposed to interview on 1/17. My flight from New Orleans was canceled due to inclement weather. Admissions said they would be happy to reschedule me. Debating whether it's worth it anymore since I already put a 2k deposit down elsewhere. Someone convince me.
Which campus? I can't speak of SU, but I loved CO (in terms of the state, from what I know both awesome schools). I'd say whether you should attend or not has to do with how satisfied/happy you are with the other school you paid your deposit at. I really hate the way DO schools handle their deposit situation as many end up at schools they may not have attended because of the $2,000 deposit. Hopefully this changes in the future. If you can swing the money to attend the CO interview and potentially another deposit, I think it's worth attending. RVU spreads out their deposit decently so that's a bonus. I'm very grateful that I don't have to put down the final deposit that is $1,000 until May. The first deposit is $250, second is $750.
Colorado is an awesome state to live in and I really dig their rotation situation. Going will either a.) solidify your confidence and decision to attend where you've paid your deposit or b.) have you end up at a school that you may be happier at.
My only disclaimer that I don't feel was portrayed well online is that the campus is nothing special. Sure it's newer, but it's tiny and nothing to be wow'd by except maybe the anatomy room. The wow factor at this school truly comes from the people and learning environment- and that for me is much more important. The state had a decent impact on me as well considering I see myself being very happy in Colorado which is also important. The students are very active and go on plenty of excursions together from what I gathered. Ultimately, I just felt it was tight-knit and supportive there.

I too had to reschedule my interview last minute which blowed, but I'm so glad they were willing to work with me and that it ultimately had no influence on my subsequent acceptance :)

How did people send out thank-you emails to the interviewers? They didn't provide us with contact info

How did people send out thank-you emails to the interviewers? They didn't provide us with contact info
I just looked them up on the RVU website and found their email address that way. You should have a paper with their name, picture, and bio in your folder if you didn't get their name.

I just looked them up on the RVU website and found their email address that way. You should have a paper with their name, picture, and bio in your folder if you didn't get their name.
This is what I did, too!

Obviously anecdotal, but I sent my thank-you letter to the general admissions email. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they had done this, and it seemed reasonable to me. If I'd had the idea to email the interviewers individually, I probably would have done that instead though! But it didn't seem to adversely affect me too much :)

Obviously anecdotal, but I sent my thank-you letter to the general admissions email. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that they had done this, and it seemed reasonable to me. If I'd had the idea to email the interviewers individually, I probably would have done that instead though! But it didn't seem to adversely affect me too much :)
+1

I both looked up their personal emails on the RVU website and sent an email to admissions office. The ones I sent to my interviewers were more personal and the one to admissions was more general. I received a reply from the admissions office saying they would forward to my interviewers, so I think it makes it there either way. Good luck!

I interviewed yesterday 1/17 (I think you were supposed to be with my group) and here are a few take-aways that may help you decide on whether to take an interview or not.

Personally, I was impressed with the school. Their actual facilities were not jaw dropping, but they were adequate for a smaller university and the feeling of the building was conducive to learning. The biggest plus about the school IMO is the faculty and the environment the RVU community has. Faculty seems to be all-in on providing quality education to turn out the best physicians possible. My interviewer, as well as some of the other faculty, were very encouraging and emphasized on helping students succeed; it was a very positive environment. They let us sit in on one of their classes and watching the faculty interact with the students in the manner that they were was very encouraging. I have interviewed a few other places and this was by far the most relaxed atmosphere in regards to how the students carried themselves and how the faculty interacted with students. At other schools, I may have had a student or two approach me or our group and say something, but as my group waited to be brought in to the admissions department, we had probably 5-6 students stop and say something encouraging in about a 10min time frame. Their security guard was even extremely encouraging! if that does not sound like a positive environment to learn in, I don't know what is.

Clinical rotations- 3rd year seemed to be pretty planned out for the most part. You will most likely not be in Parker for your 3rd year from the sounds of it. You're matched with a region along the I25 corridor and you stay in that region for the entire year. 4th year seems to be VERY student independent. You basically plan out yourself where you are going to do your rotations and can basically do them anywhere in the USA and have some options for overseas. They emphasize getting shadowing and other medical exposure opportunities during years 1 & 2, but don't seem to help set that up for students. I would say outside of the general education, it is very student driven- that works for some people and doesn't for others.

Overall, I would reiterate the student driven part. They have very low requirements for community outreach and shadowing during years 1 & 2, but definitely encourage their students to get involved. I personally find the rotation style to my benefit as I thrive off making personal connections with people in the community and growing my name or "brand" in the community that way. It also allows for students in their 4th year to find out where they might want to apply for residencies and have "try outs" for them. The RVU community is amazing and the faculty seem to only want success and support for their students. Only drawback... they do not have a fitness facility on campus :(

Hope this helps! I am excited to hear good news back from RVU. I think it would be a great fit.

Reactions: 7 users
As a current RVU-CO student, I wanted to offer again to answer anyones questions about the school. Feel free to shoot me a private message. RVU has taken good care of me so far ;)

Does RVUCOM-CO hold a second look event?

For those of you who have been accepted to RVUCOM- Colorado campus, what were your stats? If you don't mind me asking!