2017-2018 Tulane University Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any recommended hotels near the school to stay in prior to the interview?
I would strongly recommend utilizing the option to stay w a student. You should get an email before your interview date. If you prefer to stay in a hotel the holiday in on loyola avenue is very close to the school.

I would strongly recommend utilizing the option to stay w a student. You should get an email before your interview date. If you prefer to stay in a hotel the holiday in on loyola avenue is very close to the school.

I see the benefits of staying with a student...but can't staying with a student hurt you as well? Being too loud in the morning? Blow drying your hair, going in and out of the house? If you stay with you a student, aren't you on their schedule? I feel like everyone has a routine and staying with a student puts you on their routine...which can hurt you.

I see the benefits of staying with a student...but can't staying with a student hurt you as well? Being too loud in the morning? Blow drying your hair, going in and out of the house? If you stay with you a student, aren't you on their schedule? I feel like everyone has a routine and staying with a student puts you on their routine...which can hurt you.

This is partly why I booked a hotel. I don't want to have to worry about unnecessary things as you mentioned; there's a lot of benefit to having a private room and your own personal freedom. But I'm also staying for an extra day before/after and taking some time to check out the city and I didn't want to relocate frequently as the student housing is only available for the night before your interview. The Holiday Inn quoted me at a cheaper price than the Aloft hotel (which was the only other place that got back to me) so I just booked with them.

Just got a pre-interview rejection email, actually very much appreciated they say this now and not wait until March.

Best of luck to everyone else!

Just got a pre-interview rejection email, actually very much appreciated they say this now and not wait until March.

Best of luck to everyone else!
Sorry. But it is good that they let people know instead of dragging it out

Also received a rejection this morning. Complete 7/14. Best of luck to everyone!

My application was finally verified by AMCAS on Friday. Will Tulane at this point extend a secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was finally verified by AMCAS on Friday. Will Tulane at this point extend a secondary?

I would think so but I would try to have a quick turnaround on it since they seem to be giving out a lot of II

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone ever received confirmation about Tulane receiving their CASPer?

Rejection this morning as well. Bummer, but good luck to everyone as they complete their application cycle here!

Reactions: 1 users
my checkmark became green between 9-10pm at night, strange I submitted at 8ish pm 7/25 so maybe they do it around the same time

rejection email this morning. best of luck everyone.

rejection email this morning. best of luck everyone.

Tulane definitely yield protected here. They probably thought you were much more likely to go to a top institution rather to go to their school. As an URM with your stats you have shots at top 30 schools. This is a good thing so keep your chin up!

Reactions: 3 users
Tulane definitely yield protected here. They probably thought you were much more likely to go to a top institution rather to go to their school. As an URM with your stats you have shots at top 30 schools. This is a good thing so keep your chin up!
That's what I was thinking, they know they're a backup school.

anyone submit 7/26 and get the checkmark yet?

I know it's probably somewhere in this feed but about how long after the green checkmark is a decision made?

I know it's probably somewhere in this feed but about how long after the green checkmark is a decision made?

Seems like anywhere from one day to the end of the cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm debating on if I should stay with a med student or get a hotel room. Any advice?

Yield protecting a 509 4.0? Even URM, c'mon. Crazy talk. There have been some people 520+ getting interviews.
True. Well I didn't know their MCAT, but with the stats listed I would have assumed they'd at least get an interview this early. Anyway, who knows. :shrug:

Yield protecting a 509 4.0? Even URM, c'mon. Crazy talk. There have been some people 520+ getting interviews.

The idea that Tulane could be a "safety school" for any applicant is quite simply ludicrous. A friend of mine from my alma mater goes to TUSoM and she serves as a student interviewer. She said that during the application process, TUSoM screens heavily for fit and for students that demonstrate a commitment to their particular mission. She said that's also why Tulane interviews a comparatively small number of applicants as well, compared to say Georgetown, which interviews more than double the number of applicants than TUSoM for a similar class size.

Reactions: 7 users
The idea that Tulane could be a "safety school" for any applicant is quite simply ludicrous. A friend of mine from my alma mater goes to TUSoM and she serves as a student interviewer. She said that during the application process, TUSoM screens heavily for fit and for students that demonstrate a commitment to their particular mission. She said that's also why Tulane interviews a comparatively small number of applicants as well, compared to say Georgetown, which interviews more than double the number of applicants than TUSoM for a similar class size.

Maybe it shows that Tulane really values MCAT scores. The GPA is amazing but maybe they want a higher MCAT for an OOS applicant. Idk if he was OOS but assumed it for the sake of my argument

Maybe it shows that Tulane really values MCAT scores. The GPA is amazing but maybe they want a higher MCAT for an OOS applicant. Idk if he was OOS but assumed it for the sake of my argument

My MCAT score is meh for an OOS candidate so it is probably not the case since I got an interview.

Isn't Tulane private? So OOS vs IS shouldn't really matter, no?

Reactions: 2 users
Y'all are probably right haha just spitballing possibilities. The med school application process is just so random

Y'all are probably right haha just spitballing possibilities. The med school application process is just so random
Tell me about it! I feel like it's one big Wheel of Fortune wheel that ADCOMs are spinning at times. "We're going to take <spins wheel> out of state applicants named Matt with an MCAT equal to the circumference of this freshly picked grapefruit.":rofl:

Reactions: 7 users
Tell me about it! I feel like it's one big Wheel of Fortune wheel that ADCOMs are spinning at times. "We're going to take <spins wheel> out of state applicants named Matt with an MCAT equal to the circumference of this freshly picked grapefruit.":rofl:
dude that has gotta be one giant grapefruit