2017-2018 Tulane University Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you haven’t been rejected that means they probably want to interview you, and are waiting for people to cancel so more spots become available

I was an applicant last year. I'm not sure how true this is, because they did not reject me last year until April.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed here over four weeks ago and still have not heard anything- do you think that it's too late to send a letter of interest? The more I think about this school, the more I really think that it is the right fit (especially because I want to pursue an MD/MPH). Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here over four weeks ago and still have not heard anything- do you think that it's too late to send a letter of interest? The more I think about this school, the more I really think that it is the right fit (especially because I want to pursue an MD/MPH). Any advice would be much appreciated!!
I would be surprised if they had time to review it before a decision was made... perhaps if you do it after being placed in "acceptance range"

I'll be interviewing on Friday :)

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 10/2 and still waiting. Any idea why some people have heard back and others haven’t?? Does this mean bad news?

Interviewed 10/2 and still waiting. Any idea why some people have heard back and others haven’t?? Does this mean bad news?

It says on the pamphlet that each application is assigned to a committee of 4 people. So I'm guessing each committee has their own timeline.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 10/20 and was given a turnaround time of 2-3 weeks. Fingers crossed I hear back soon, but going off of the previous posts on this thread, I guess it could take longer than that. If I were to guess, timing must depend on who you interviewed with and who is assigned to review you application.

Last edited:
I interviewed on 9/28 and I want to take my girlfriend to the medical schools I’ve been accepted to because her opinion of the city matters too (she will prob move with me) The only thing is that she only has time to do this during Thanksgiving or part of her Christmas break. I keep thinking I’m about to get a decision from Tulane soon but at this point it’s getting more and more difficult to plan. I know that typically the only way to get a decision expedited is if you have a deposit due at another school, but do you think this would be a reasonable situation as well? I mean, it’s not like I interviewed recently!

I interviewed on 9/28 and I want to take my girlfriend to the medical schools I’ve been accepted to because her opinion of the city matters too (she will prob move with me) The only thing is that she only has time to do this during Thanksgiving or part of her Christmas break. I keep thinking I’m about to get a decision from Tulane soon but at this point it’s getting more and more difficult to plan. I know that typically the only way to get a decision expedited is if you have a deposit due at another school, but do you think this would be a reasonable situation as well? I mean, it’s not like I interviewed recently!
It probably can't hurt to call the admissions office and explain the situation. I'm sure they've had to deal with this situation before and it's one I am also dealing with but with a little bit more wiggle room. The worst they can say is "this week" again. In theory they'd want to make sure your girlfriend got to see NOLA :laugh:

You said either thanksgiving or christmas break. That's long enough time and I think you should get a decision prior to then. I wouldn't bother them about this. And you have until March to decide which medical school you want to attend so can't imagine your gf won't have time post-Christmas to visit the school you're thinking of attending.

Process is also arduous on the other side of the ocean. I would be courteous and remember, patience is virtue

Am I at a disadvantage if I interview in January? :/

You said either thanksgiving or christmas break. That's long enough time and I think you should get a decision prior to then. I wouldn't bother them about this. And you have until March to decide which medical school you want to attend so can't imagine your gf won't have time post-Christmas to visit the school you're thinking of attending.

Process is also arduous on the other side of the ocean. I would be courteous and remember, patience is virtue

What you say is true and I know it's definitely not easy for them. That's why I've been waiting it out even though plane tickets have been going up everyday. It's just that the other schools require a deposit ($1000+) by 12/15 that is non-refundable. So the most ideal and the most cost-effective thing to do for us is to visit Thanksgiving break so that we can make the decision by 12/15, which is coming up sooooon.

Edit: Meh, I'll prob end up waiting it out. Just ranting on this forum. /RANT.

Last edited:
What you say is true and I know it's definitely not easy for them. That's why I've been waiting it out even though plane tickets have been going up everyday. It's just that the other schools require a deposit ($1000+) by 12/15 that is non-refundable. So the most ideal and the most cost-effective thing to do for us is to visit Thanksgiving break so that we can make the decision by 12/15, which is coming up sooooon.

Edit: Meh, I'll prob end up waiting it out. Just ranting on this forum. /RANT.

So are you trying to decide between Tulane and those other schools? So since those other schools are DO, so I would personally recommend Tulane (assuming you get in) regardless.

So are you trying to decide between Tulane and those other schools? So since those other schools are DO, so I would personally recommend Tulane (assuming you get in) regardless.

I would want my girlfriend to be just as comfortable in New Orleans as she would be at the DO school. It’s actually more important we make the decision jointly rather than MD vs DO even though I’ll be the one getting the degree. And even though I know she’ll love NOLA, I think it’s only fair she feels included in the decision making by spending the time and $ to visit. Im 30 years old and this is the girl I’ll probably get married to.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have some data on the Tulane waitlist? The MSAR says 250 are waitlisted but it does not give any insight as to how many are accepted. I am just wondering how optimistic/pessimistic I should be at this point haha

Does anyone have some data on the Tulane waitlist? The MSAR says 250 are waitlisted but it does not give any insight as to how many are accepted. I am just wondering how optimistic/pessimistic I should be at this point haha

191 matriculated last year. I think the movement on the waitlist depends on how many people decide to withdraw post acceptance. It depends on the year, I think.

I would want my girlfriend to be just as comfortable in New Orleans as she would be at the DO school. It’s actually more important we make the decision jointly rather than MD vs DO even though I’ll be the one getting the degree. And even though I know she’ll love NOLA, I think it’s only fair she feels included in the decision making by spending the time and $ to visit. Im 30 years old and this is the girl I’ll probably get married to.

Yo just visit NOLA anyway. Worst case you and the GF spend a few days in an amazing city you don’t end up living in. Especially if not visiting would mean you wouldn’t be comfortable taking an acceptance should it be offered down the line. The sad truth is that we can’t force AdComs to make a decision and I doubt calling would change that. Go for the visit, hope for the acceptance, enjoy the time off.

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone called recently that interviewed 4-5 weeks ago to see what’s up?

Reactions: 1 users
Just flew in to NOLA! The last flight I sat next to a woman whose late husband graduated from Tulane SOM. Needless to say we talked half of the flight!

Reactions: 10 users
Acceptance range today. Interviewed on 9/28. Another friend I interviewed with got accepted today

Acceptance range today. Interviewed on 9/28. Another friend I interviewed with got accepted today
I am sorry my friend.. I know you have been waiting forever. Hopefully there will be movement for those in range. At the very least you are out of non-decision post interview limbo.

Does anyone know when the next batch of IIs might go out?

I am like 75% sure every one-post interview is either waitlisted or accepted until the class is finalized. Maybe someone else can verify?
No, they reject some too. Acceptance range folks have a good chance of getting in as season wears on

Reactions: 2 users
I am like 75% sure every one-post interview is either waitlisted or accepted until the class is finalized. Maybe someone else can verify?
If I remember they said that they score each applicant from 1-5. 3 and above is acceptable. The closer to 5, the more likely you're going to be accepted outright. Below 3 is rejection. I imagine no one who's earned an interview is below 3 unless their interview goes VERY poorly.

If I remember they said that they score each applicant from 1-5. 3 and above is acceptable. The closer to 5, the more likely you're going to be accepted outright. Below 3 is rejection. I imagine no one who's earned an interview is below 3 unless their interview goes VERY poorly.
The interview does indeed have to go pretty badly. Or they find out you lied in your app or something.

I interview here next month and signed up to stay with a student host. I have now been second guessing if I should just get a hotel or stay with the host. I can see pros and cons with both. Any suggestions?