-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2017-2018 Tulane University Application
Started by gyngyn
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted466839
Looks like IIs have not been sent out for awhile...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey anyone have any advice on the interview or what to expect?
Sorry for the rejection! And thank you for posting these details, it's really helpful to those of us still waiting.Rejected pre-II last Friday, complete 08/21, LizzyM 67, Canadian.
All good in the hood!
Glad to hear all is good in the hood - hopefully that means other doors are opening for you.
Best wishes on the rest of the cycle!
Acceptance range, 10/6. Received email a few minutes ago. Good luck to everyone else!
Hey anyone have any advice on the interview or what to expect?
Standard Why Tulane and introduction to begin with, a little overview on what they offer at the school (>20 student run clinics) and also what makes New Orleans a great place to live/learn. You realize early on that the interview day truly is a student-run affair, which is pretty neat.
Then you have your patient simulation interview where they film your interaction and the admissions committee reviews it (I've heard that if you get in you're able to watch the video). Then you go onto your faculty interview followed by lunch with your student interviewer in a very informal setting.
After lunch you tour the medical school and walk between buildings for a bit. We weren't taken into the hospital which was kind of disappointing, though we did have a large group. The best part was getting feedback from a myriad of students there who all seemed to love the culture and curriculum and seemed genuinely happy.
Fingers crossed!!!Looks like IIs have not been sent out for awhile...
So the MPH is something you can sign up for if you get accepted. Is the MBA the same way or is that something you need to sign up for when you apply?
D
DJ Khaled's Pet Tiger
I'm MD/MBA, and I can tell you that you can sign up at any time. Just might end up taking more than 4 years if you don't sacrifice the summer before Med schoolSo the MPH is something you can sign up for if you get accepted. Is the MBA the same way or is that something you need to sign up for when you apply?
Is anyone still waiting to hear from an early October interview? I'm approaching 6 weeks of silence :/
Yep. 10/02 over here!Is anyone still waiting to hear from an early October interview? I'm approaching 6 weeks of silence :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've had the same red exclamation point for 2 months now...
Ditto
I had the red exclamation point up until the day before my II. Keep hope alive!I've had the same red exclamation point for 2 months now...
Green checkmark since early August over hereGreen checkmark since early September. Anybody else in this position? I am trying to stay hopeful!
Good to know! They should really just get rid of this red checkmark green checkmark thing, seems to be driving everyone crazy hahaI had the red exclamation point up until the day before my II. Keep hope alive!
What has been the standard decision turn around time after interviewing this cycle?
What has been the standard decision turn around time after interviewing this cycle?
Pattern seems to be 5-7 weeks :/
I interviewed on 10/27 and according to this thread, they just finished beginning of October :/
Applied very late to this school and just discovered that I have a green check mark!! 😀
How late did you apply? My app was finished in mid September and my check mark is still red
Ill see you there dec 8th!
II today for Dec. 8th!! next day available wasn’t until mid Jan.
Also, I had a green check mark for at least a couple months. Don’t lose hope!
Dang, those are just about my exact stats too. Feeling bummed for you and pre-bummed for me. :-(Rejected pre-interview II, ~70 lizzyM, OOS, green checkmark on 10/12. Really bummed, but best of luck to everyone else
Hope the rest of your cycle is going ok!
how late is late?Applied very late to this school and just discovered that I have a green check mark!! 😀
I also applied mid september!How late did you apply? My app was finished in mid September and my check mark is still red
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how many ppl they accept each year? (Not matriculants)
Does anyone know how many ppl they accept each year? (Not matriculants)
According to MSAR they interview ~580 students for ~190 spots. Med schools often give out around 2x the number of acceptances as there are seats. So looking at maybe ~400 acceptances.
According to MSAR they interview ~580 students for ~190 spots. Med schools often give out around 2x the number of acceptances as there are seats. So looking at maybe ~400 acceptances.
Do you know if they over accept people in the beginning? I'm wait listed, so I want know how that normally works so I can better understand my chances. So maybe they'll accept 350 people right after interviews, then as people withdraw, MAYBE another 50 people from the wait list will get called?
Any other late sept/early october interviewees still waiting to hear back? it seems like theyve forgotten about us..
Yup
Me too! interviewed 10/6 and haven't heard anything
My bad, I haven’t interviewed - I submitted in mid September.Me too! interviewed 10/6 and haven't heard anything
Sorry
Do you know if they over accept people in the beginning? I'm wait listed, so I want know how that normally works so I can better understand my chances. So maybe they'll accept 350 people right after interviews, then as people withdraw, MAYBE another 50 people from the wait list will get called?
Well schools are required to have offered acceptances equal in number to the seats of the incoming class by mid-March. So I would say that they offer many more acceptances after that date, and probably some of the first ~200 decline their acceptances before March 15.
This is where I got that information: https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf
II today! First MD school to offer me one and i’m pretty shocked honestly (OOS, ORM, lower stats, but strong ECs)
Only issue is that the earliest and apparently ONLY interview date left is for March... should I hold out for a potential opening or just take the date? They seem pretty hostile towards rescheduling
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Only issue is that the earliest and apparently ONLY interview date left is for March... should I hold out for a potential opening or just take the date? They seem pretty hostile towards rescheduling
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
II today! First MD school to offer me one and i’m pretty shocked honestly (OOS, ORM, lower stats, but strong ECs)
Only issue is that the earliest and apparently ONLY interview date left is for March... should I hold out for a potential opening or just take the date? They seem pretty hostile towards rescheduling
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Take it. I wouldn’t leave it bc that date can get occupied as well and then you’ll be SOL
Lol, you have no idea how fast those dates get filled up. Also how many people do they interview per day?II today! First MD school to offer me one and i’m pretty shocked honestly (OOS, ORM, lower stats, but strong ECs)
Only issue is that the earliest and apparently ONLY interview date left is for March... should I hold out for a potential opening or just take the date? They seem pretty hostile towards rescheduling
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This is me wanting to be you!II today! First MD school to offer me one and i’m pretty shocked honestly (OOS, ORM, lower stats, but strong ECs)
Congrats!
Take that date!!!
Lol, you have no idea how fast those dates get filled up. Also how many people do they interview per day?
I didn't count specifically, but it was somewhere around 20.
+1 I think my group was close to this if not more.I didn't count specifically, but it was somewhere around 20.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That’s a lot of people! How many times a week do they interview people+1 I think my group was close to this if not more.
Was the patient-physician part a med student acting as a patient or was it a simulation?Standard Why Tulane and introduction to begin with, a little overview on what they offer at the school (>20 student run clinics) and also what makes New Orleans a great place to live/learn. You realize early on that the interview day truly is a student-run affair, which is pretty neat.
Then you have your patient simulation interview where they film your interaction and the admissions committee reviews it (I've heard that if you get in you're able to watch the video). Then you go onto your faculty interview followed by lunch with your student interviewer in a very informal setting.
After lunch you tour the medical school and walk between buildings for a bit. We weren't taken into the hospital which was kind of disappointing, though we did have a large group. The best part was getting feedback from a myriad of students there who all seemed to love the culture and curriculum and seemed genuinely happy.
I’m not sure :/ maybe someone else can answer this. My guess is once a week because if they interview this many then that makes about a hundred a month and they interview 500-600That’s a lot of people! How many times a week do they interview people
The interviewees sign a non-disclosure agreement. If you’ve had patient contact in the past then you should do fine. We just can’t tell you anything about it.Was the patient-physician part a med student acting as a patient or was it a simulation?
I’m not sure :/ maybe someone else can answer this. My guess is once a week because if they interview this many then that makes about a hundred a month and they interview 500-600
Hm... my student host is also a student interviewer and she said they interview on all days of the week. The week I interviewed, late sept, they had 3 interviews that week
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K