2017-2018 Tulane University Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You should have gotten an email to set up a Gibson account after you were accepted

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted by email just now! Will be withdrawing. Let's make a deal...If one of you gets my spot... I get a spot on your couch come next Mardi Gras! :p Best of luck to those waiting.

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted by email just now! Will be withdrawing. Let's make a deal...If one of you gets my spot... I get a spot on your couch come next Mardi Gras! :p Best of luck to those waiting.
were you waitlisted?

Hey Tulane, you can accept me. I have no future plans and could spend the next four years in NOLA. Just saying...

Reactions: 5 users
Financial aid blew so I withdrew. Good luck y’all

Reactions: 4 users
Loved Tulane but that financial aid was savage... Gonna withdraw at end of the week. Best of luck to those waiting to hop on the train!

yay congrats!! would you mind telling us roughly when you interviewed?

236 sounds about right. It was either that or 233. . . IDk

Oh wow that's impressive! Idk why but I thought it was sub-230?

On interview day, they told us the average STEP 1 score is 233. Keep in mind though, as with every school, these numbers are self-reported by students who choose to share and thus cannot always be trusted.

Reactions: 1 users
What does "financial sucks" actually mean? Like there was no scholarship?

Reactions: 1 user
What does "financial sucks" actually mean? Like there was no scholarship?
I define it as 100 percent straight loans. With that ungodly cost of tuition. Or you could call it true sticker price.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how many seats/acceptances are left :/

Got mine late yesterday. The email was weird though. It said I was missing information and that I needed to complete my to do list online, but it was actually a notice that the award package was available.

How soon after you were accepted did you get your Gibson stuff?

I got my email about Gibson maybe a few days after I got my acceptance. It didn’t take long

I got my email about Gibson maybe a few days after I got my acceptance. It didn’t take long
Hmm...been about a week for me. I'll give it a few more days and then maybe email. I've gotten the MD/MPH email, but that's the only follow up I got post-acceptance.

I just got my award letter. No aid with 88K year to borrow is very harsh so I will be withdrawing.

Reactions: 2 users
I just got my award letter. No aid with 88K year to borrow is very harsh so I will be withdrawing.
That's steep! If they accept me off of the WL I am sure that is what I will be paying.

So I'm reading through this thread and it seems like people got rejected from the waitlist...does Tulane usually do this?

So I'm reading through this thread and it seems like people got rejected from the waitlist...does Tulane usually do this?
Yeah I didn't think that it was a trend in years past. . . Here's an excerpt from the WL email.

Your application has been placed in this category. This is not a ranked alternate list, as is used by many schools, but a pool of acceptable candidates from which the committee may subsequently choose.

Your application will remain active and eligible for selection until you are offered a place in the class, (there is really nothing about rejections . . .) classes have begun (which will happen in early August) or you withdraw from our Acceptance Range. It is possible for someone in the Acceptance Range category to be offered a place in the class at any time. However, most movement from this category will not occur until after we have completed interviews in February with the peak activity occurring during the month of May.

Yeah I didn't think that it was a trend in years past. . . Here's an excerpt from the WL email.

Your application has been placed in this category. This is not a ranked alternate list, as is used by many schools, but a pool of acceptable candidates from which the committee may subsequently choose.

Your application will remain active and eligible for selection until you are offered a place in the class, (there is really nothing about rejections . . .) classes have begun (which will happen in early August) or you withdraw from our Acceptance Range. It is possible for someone in the Acceptance Range category to be offered a place in the class at any time. However, most movement from this category will not occur until after we have completed interviews in February with the peak activity occurring during the month of May.
I was one of those people rejected off the waitlist. Hopefully it was just a mistake haha but I doubt it. The email basically said you will no longer be considered for this cycle but had no mention of alternate list or anything in it. I may try to call them and follow up!

Just called and they said because of the volume of applicants they decided to shorten the waitlist this year so people can start making other plans instead of waiting around for several more months.

Just called and they said because of the volume of applicants they decided to shorten the waitlist this year so people can start making other plans instead of waiting around for several more months.

Wow. Tulane Admissions. Much niceness. So kind

Last edited:
Hmmm. I wonder how many they rejected off the waitlist then? There seems to be quite a few of us who are still holding on.

Thank you for finding out this information, and I'm sorry to you and all those who received the bad news.

Hmmm. I wonder how many they rejected off the waitlist then? There seems to be quite a few of us who are still holding on.

Thank you for finding out this information, and I'm sorry to you and all those who received the bad news.

How many do you think are still on the waitlist?

How many do you think are still on the waitlist?
That's really hard to say. I believe there has to be quite a few of us left since there has been a good number of candidates reporting that they are withdrawing, thus needing to replace those seats. It also depends on how many have already been accepted. I really wish I had a better idea.

I don't want to be a party pooper or anything, but keep in mind that we need about 100 people to withdraw before they start pulling off from the waitlist.

I don't want to be a party pooper or anything, but keep in mind that we need about 100 people to withdraw before they start pulling off from the waitlist.
Not necessarily. They have already pulled people off of the waitlist. The first one I recall was back in January. Plus, I also heard that there is a 66% acceptance rate post-interview, which includes the waitlist. Unless this year is different, which is completely possible.

Not necessarily. They have already pulled people off of the waitlist. The first one I recall was back in January. Plus, I also heard that there is a 66% acceptance rate post-interview, which includes the waitlist. Unless this year is different, which is completely possible.
That's true too. Huh!

I'm not really sure what Tulane means by "we had a large volume of applicants, so we decided to shorten the waitlist this year." So were there like 300 waitlisted people and they shortened it to 250 (which was how many people were waitlisted last year)? So in a sense, they're not actually shortening the waitlist, they just failed to reject more people to begin with?

That's true too. Huh!

I'm not really sure what Tulane means by "we had a large volume of applicants, so we decided to shorten the waitlist this year." So were there like 300 waitlisted people and they shortened it to 250 (which was how many people were waitlisted last year)? So in a sense, they're not actually shortening the waitlist, they just failed to reject more people to begin with?
I was wondering the exact same thing. Did they interview more people this year? Are they actually being courteous to us applicants about not making us wait so long by shortening the list? I have no idea. I wish I could take this as a good sign for those still on the waitlist, but there is no way of knowing until it all shakes out.

I was wondering the exact same thing. Did they interview more people this year? Are they actually being courteous to us applicants about not making us wait so long by shortening the list? I have no idea. I wish I could take this as a good sign for those still on the waitlist, but there is no way of knowing until it all shakes out.

Well they saw something in us to keep us around...right? Haha

That's really hard to say. I believe there has to be quite a few of us left since there has been a good number of candidates reporting that they are withdrawing, thus needing to replace those seats. It also depends on how many have already been accepted. I really wish I had a better idea.

Btw I hate that I'm this neurotic, but I checked the fb group and there's almost 300 people. I know that a lot of the members are 1st and 2nd year students but still...

Btw I hate that I'm this neurotic, but I checked the fb group and there's almost 300 people. I know that a lot of the members are 1st and 2nd year students but still...

Facebook pages for previous years' entering classes so we can compare. Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems like we still have quite a lot of seats left to go until it's filled
Screenshot_20180407-111625.png

Last edited:
Facebook pages for previous years' entering classes so we can compare. Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems like we still have quite a lot of seats left to go until it's filled View attachment 231631

I'm glad I'm surrounded by people who are as neurotic as me. Brings a tear to my eye :)

I'm glad I'm surrounded by people who are as neurotic as me. Brings a tear to my eye :)
No one in my grad program is applying. . . You all are the only ones that understand :drowning:. I am also glad that the neuroticism is not unique to myself. I mean we can't help but be neurotic when we are this close to securing a spot in a school that will lead to an extremely rewarding career.

No one in my grad program is applying. . . You all are the only ones that understand :drowning:. I am also glad that the neuroticism is not unique to myself. I mean we can't help but be neurotic when we are this close to securing a spot in a school that will lead to an extremely rewarding career.

I'm in my 30s. My peers think I'm silly for going back to school and my mom wants me to be a PA so she can have grandchildren. Y'all are all I've got. I hope we all get in Tulane, or at least the majority of us.