2017-2018 University of Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone accepted get a call? They said today was the day it looks like those deferred heard. Maybe acceptance calls going out tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone accepted get a call? They said today was the day it looks like those deferred heard. Maybe acceptance calls going out tomorrow?
I think they've been releasing all decisions on the same day

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they've been releasing all decisions on the same day

I've only seen rejections and deferrals posted here for Jan 8th and 22nd decision days. Makes me wonder if any acceptance calls have gone out this month or if they are waiting to do them all in February for Dec/Jan interview days.

Reactions: 1 user
I've only seen rejections and deferrals posted here for Jan 8th and 22nd decision days. Makes me wonder if any acceptance calls have gone out this month or if they are waiting to do them all in February for Dec/Jan interview days.
it's also possible that those who were accepted didn't post here

I do wonder if there’s a chance they have generally been holding off on acceptances until they have their entire post-interview applicant pool to look at.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

Our apologies. We have learned today that some of our communication messages sent out yesterday were not received.

If you still have not received an email regarding your application decision, please be sure to login to the application site (click here), select the status tab, and click on communication status. This will show all the communication history sent from our Office of Admissions and Recruitment.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

With regards,

Dr. Fogerty
Associate Dean, Admissions and Recruitment
University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix

Last edited:
Accepted! So excited, I loved everything about this school! OOS interviewed 1/22

Reactions: 5 users
Does it mean something if we haven't heard anything by now?

Alternate list after January deferral

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m on the alternate list, too. A bit bummed because this is my top choice, and now I have no clue what to expect.

Rejected yesterday after a 1/22 interview. OOS, LM70. Hang in there, those of you that got deferred yesterday! I think it does mean that there is some glimmer of hope for you still!

Does anyone know if the number of alternates this year is similar to previous years (~40-50?) It seems our chances of being pulled off the waitlist are pretty low if 10 is about the maximum number of students expected to withdraw this year...1/4 at the very best :(

Congrats to those accepted!

If you are on the alternate list, just know that things still move around. Somewhere in mid April people have to drop all other acceptances and pick one place to commit to so there still could be movement.

I have one more exam of med school and then I'll have a bit more time to answer questions. If you have any that I'd be able to answer, please feel free to message me.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can get in-state tuition after a year or two if you begin as OOS? Thanks!

When I was accepted I was told as OOS you can expect to pay in-state tuition after 2 years.

This is going to depend a lot on your situation.

Some students HAVE gained in-state tuition but it was due to a number of factors:
1. Originally from Arizona
2. Has a spouse working
3. Family is from Arizona
4. Strong intent to establish residency here

And so on. If you're fresh from another state with no connections whatsoever, it will be very difficult to establish residency as they will essentially ask you to find some sort of job or something (which is kinda hard as a med student), pay taxes as an AZ resident, and convince them that you are here to stay

You can establish residency after 1 year unless its changed to 2.

You would need to have changed everything over to AZ and be able to proof that you are independent from your parents if they don't live here (i.e. show bank statements).

Hey all. I was accepted to this UAPhoenix in December. OOS applicant. I truly fell in love with this school when I interviewed- the students/faculty/support staff are just incredible. After going over my acceptances a million times, I've made the hard decision to withdraw my acceptance here so I can attend an in-state school. I hope withdrawing my acceptance early-ish means one of you here gets an acceptance call and has the chance to get started on all the necessary preparation for matriculation. Also, because the committee and Dr. Fogerty read this thread- thank you so, so, so much for the opportunity to attend UAPhoenix. Thank you Dr. Fogerty for an unforgettable acceptance phone call that brought me and my spouse to tears. It was definitely not an easy decision to choose to withdraw from Phoenix, and that is due in large part to you and to the UAP community.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey all. I was accepted to this UAPhoenix in December. OOS applicant. I truly fell in love with this school when I interviewed- the students/faculty/support staff are just incredible. After going over my acceptances a million times, I've made the hard decision to withdraw my acceptance here so I can attend an in-state school. I hope withdrawing my acceptance early-ish means one of you here gets an acceptance call and has the chance to get started on all the necessary preparation for matriculation. Also, because the committee and Dr. Fogerty read this thread- thank you so, so, so much for the opportunity to attend UAPhoenix. Thank you Dr. Fogerty for an unforgettable acceptance phone call that brought me and my spouse to tears. It was definitely not an easy decision to choose to withdraw from Phoenix, and that is due in large part to you and to the UAP community.

Good luck in your future endeavors! <3

I just withdrew my acceptance as an out of stater and wanted to echo the sentiment above. Dr. Fogerty and his committee know the right way to go about medical school admissions. They were so kind, humble, and communicative throughout this entire process-- genuinely a breath of fresh air. All the best to the UA- Phx community and hope to see you guys in residency!!

Reactions: 3 users
Was wondering the same thing. I haven't received mine, but I also haven't signed the matriculation form yet.

Same here. Assumed they'd send the offers whether or not we signed these though, given cost clearly plays a role in an accepted deciding to attend.

Does anyone know if there was any waitlist/alternate movement last cycle at all? I’m considering rescinding my position on the alternate list since I don’t have one of the pre-req courses met (Human Physiology) and don’t really want to take the course this spring with a little-to-none chance of being accepted off the alternate list.

Does anyone know if there was any waitlist/alternate movement last cycle at all? I’m considering rescinding my position on the alternate list since I don’t have one of the pre-req courses met (Human Physiology) and don’t really want to take the course this spring with a little-to-none chance of being accepted off the alternate list.
+1

I believe the final spot offered last year was the week before class started.

Doea anyone know anything about waitlist movement for this year? Really loved the school and the area when I visited, so placing all my hope in this school .

Doea anyone know anything about waitlist movement for this year? Really loved the school and the area when I visited, so placing all my hope in this school .
Seconded. Getting nervous about moving plans and all that :dead:

Just gave up my acceptance. Good luck to everyone! I loved this school immensely but couldn’t pass up the other offer I had!

I got the call from Dr. Fogerty last night! Accepted off of the alternate list!! Good luck to all who remain :) I'm in shock that I get to be a part of this amazing community.

Congratulations! Mind sharing your stats and how you felt about the interview?
I got the call from Dr. Fogerty last night! Accepted off of the alternate list!! Good luck to all who remain :) I'm in shock that I get to be a part of this amazing community.

+1 similar stats lm 75 felt pretty good about the interview

Anyone know how many people are on the alternate list?

I called a couple of weeks ago and they wouldn’t tell me. I joked that it was especially cruel for us because we are scientists and love to have data!! Lol

But feel encouraged that they are at least tapping into the waitlist!! There’s going to be a lot of movement at med schools across the country over the next week. Good luck!

I've been trying to go through the posts to see if this has been answered but I gave up at of 6...so many long posts by that banned member with no real info.

Am an incoming MS1 here and want to revisit the questions about the curriculum condensation as well as the testing schedule. Can any current students chime in?

Also want to know if the vast majority of students live right next to campus or if there are any other neighborhoods that have been popular.

Again sorry if it's been answered.