2017-2018 University of Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if there are others in the same boat as me. I am IS in Arizona, and have decent scores (LM 70) and ECs, very much in the range of those that have been accepted at Tucson and/or Phoenix.. I have received IIs from other schools including some state schools, but was rejected by Tucson and have heard nothing from Phoenix. Given that there are about only 40 interview slots remaining in Phoenix, I don't really fancy my chances here. It just seems that Phoenix is being IS hostile compared to state schools elsewhere, and I am just not sure why I didn't even merit an interview at Tucson. Would have loved to go in-state, but I believe I am destined to matriculate elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if there are others in the same boat as me. I am IS in Arizona, and have decent scores (LM 70) and ECs, very much in the range of those that have been accepted at Tucson and/or Phoenix.. I have received IIs from other schools including some state schools, but was rejected by Tucson and have heard nothing from Phoenix. Given that there are about only 40 interview slots remaining in Phoenix, I don't really fancy my chances here. It just seems that Phoenix is being IS hostile compared to state schools elsewhere, and I am just not sure why I didn't even merit an interview at Tucson. Would have loved to go in-state, but I believe I am destined to matriculate elsewhere.
Have you really looked at your PS and secondary answers? Both of these schools are very mission driven and that usually directs their IIs and acceptances. Perhaps your ECs and PS don't match their mission and goals? I've interviewed at both and have been accepted at Tucson and am expecting to hear from Phoenix next month. If you have any questions you can PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
Similar stats here. I was rejected outright from Tucson (my undergrad) and interviewed at Phoenix, waiting to hear back. I’m really unsure why I didn’t get an interview at Tucson, I’ve been having luck elsewhere and I know my app is solid.

Tragic. While certainly there is much more to an application than the things you listed, that level of service in Arizona indicates that you are much more likely to give back to the AZ community in the long run. Yet Phoenix is one of the few in state schools in America that has given out more interviews to out of state students this cycle than to in state applicants. Shame on UA Phoenix for being an outlier in this sense.

I implore the admissions committee and leadership at UA Phoenix to reassess their priorities and give more Arizona applicants a chance. You are a public institution and one of your biggest priorities should be to train future health care providers and leaders who serve Arizona. There are dozens of greatly qualified IS applicants who are being rejected because of the misguided priorities of this school.

You have 40 interviews remaining. The vast majority of these should go to in-state students. I have zero doubt that there are enough qualified IS applicants to warrant my opinion that these interviews should go to in-state applicants.

Addendum: Let there be no doubt that admissions committees discuss target numbers during their meetings for how many OOS/IS students to interview and ultimately accept. The admissions office can decide who they want to give these final 40 interviews to. In previous years, the interview ratio has been 50/50 for IS/OOS. This year, the school is treading dangerously towards giving MORE OOS interviews than IS and the school will have to give out 30 IS interviews and 10 OOS interviews to meet previous averages.
That’s based off you reading and though? That is speculation unless you have real access to the stats

That’s based off you reading and though? That is speculation unless you have real access to the stats
I'm sorry--I don't completely understand your comment. Are you saying that the interview ratio is speculation? I am basing it off of the numbers that UA Phoenix has made public: MD Program - Applicant Snapshot

Also, even if UA Phoenix did not make this public, we can all access it through an MSAR subscription. All medical schools publish their IS/OOS interview ratios through MSAR. Phoenix is on the short-list of public institutions which have granted more interviews to OOS candidates. Great accomplishment!

Honestly, if you are a borderline candidate, it's becoming clear the best option is to relocate to another state instead of apply as an Arizona resident. It's one of the worst states to be an in-state resident, and it's a little bizarre since unlike California, there aren't that many applicants. Of course, many people can't simply "move to another state" due to finances/family/etc, but it's becoming more and more evident that both Arizona schools are moving in the direction of being more and more favorable towards OOS students. Phoenix has been this way for several years and now Tucson is coming closer to the 50/50 IS/OOS ratio. It's a shame, but there is very little applicants can do about this since admissions offices set these target numbers.

Last edited:
Can someone maybe highlight the differences between the Tucson and Phoenix schools and which one you preferred or think is better and why? I couldn't find too many threads comparing the two or at least recent ones.
Feel free to PM me about this. I interviewed at and was accepted to both. It may take me a couple days to get back to you though.

The anticipation today is killing me... Praying I get accepted here so I can drop my future interviews and be done with this crazy process!

The anticipation today is killing me... Praying I get accepted here so I can drop my future interviews and be done with this crazy process!

My thoughts exactly. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected this morning via email. OOS, ORM with LizzyM~68. Interviewed 12/4. Best of luck to the rest of y'all!

Wondering the same. I interviewed on 12/4 as well and haven't received an email and no portal update either.

Is it advised to send a letter of interest? Probably not... I don't know

Anyone accepted today?

Still waiting for my rejection email or acceptance phone call...

Reactions: 2 users
Same. This is the second time for me. I interviewed 11/28.

Im guessing I shouldnt have high hopes for this. Lol.
I've only gotten deferrals this cycle, I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up either lol

Anyone accepted today?

Still waiting for my rejection email or acceptance phone call...
I’m still waiting for my rejection email or acceptance phone call, too. I was interviewed in October, so it’s been quite a wait...Been checking my email and making sure my phone’s ringer is turned up all the way all day. Getting by with the knowledge that some people have been accepted as long as 10-12 weeks after deferrence.

I’m still waiting for my rejection email or acceptance phone call, too. I was interviewed in October, so it’s been quite a wait...Been checking my email and making sure my phone’s ringer is turned up all the way all day. Getting by with the knowledge that some people have been accepted as long as 10-12 weeks after deferrence.
Seems like we all got deferred at the same time, so here's hoping for you!! And let's hope we get good news after a deferral in the future too!

lol the updated admissions tracker is kind of absurd. This is the first year that the IS/OOS interview ratio was skewed pretty significantly in favor of OOS students, with almost 40 more interviews going to OOS students. This will definitely encourage more out of state students to apply next year, creating a slippery slope where IS students are hurt in the long run. I have nothing more to add here. It's clear this admissions office doesn't care about this issue.

lol the updated admissions tracker is kind of absurd. This is the first year that the IS/OOS interview ratio was skewed pretty significantly in favor of OOS students, with almost 40 more interviews going to OOS students. This will definitely encourage more out of state students to apply next year, creating a slippery slope where IS students are hurt in the long run. I have nothing more to add here. It's clear this admissions office doesn't care about this issue.
It might help to look at the fact that 157 of 799 (19.6%) IS applicants received an II whereas 192 out of 5982 (3.2%) of OOS applicants received an II. While this process may seem discouraging at times, this isn't a massive injustice by any means lol

Edit: not to mention that they need to over interview/accept for OOS applicants as they will often not accept their position

It might help to look at the fact that 157 of 799 (19.6%) IS applicants received an II whereas 192 out of 5982 (3.2%) of OOS applicants received an II. While this process may seem discouraging at times, this isn't a massive injustice by any means lol

Edit: not to mention that they need to over interview/accept for OOS applicants as they will often not accept their position

Look, I'm not looking to get into a huge argument over this. The reason they get so many out of state applicants, in my opinion, is because people from California and other surrounding states know that compared to most state schools, UA Phoenix is pretty friendly to OOS students. Of course, it's an incredible longshot for OOS students, still. But that's the case with applying to medical school overall.

Nothing is a "massive injustice" and certainly some of my posts have been overly dramatic. However, looking at the trends over the years, it is my opinion that Arizona in state schools are becoming more and more friendly to OOS students. Many years ago, Tucson only accepted in-state students. The landscape has shifted significantly since then. My opinion is that both schools will move to simply accept the bare minimum of IS students required by law, which is 50%. If you look at the vast majority of state schools across the country, however, their incoming classes are much higher than 50% IS students, which is the source of my frustration. My belief is that in-state schools should fill their classes with around 70% IS students.

Anyways, there is nothing I can really do about this, to be honest. The forces at play and the dynamics that determine who is admitted or not admitted is well beyond our control as individual applicants. Best of luck to everyone.

Deferred again for the 2nd time. Next update February 19th.

I still haven't received the email in my personal email. I saw the message in the communication status on the portal and read it there - maybe check their portal.

I still haven't received the email in my personal email. I saw the message in the communication status on the portal and read it there - maybe check their portal.
I already sense some bad news waiting for me

Yep, also deferred on the portal. I hope they cap the number of times you can be deferred, it sucks being strung along.

Reactions: 3 users
Rejected post II today by e-mail around 11:00 west coast time. LizzyM ~75, OOS but have significant ties to Arizona and the university (uncle used to be on faculty here and brother is a recent alumnus). Pretty crushed by this one.

Hopping on the deffered ride. Also on the portal.
I kinda wish they would just reject me. Better than having my hopes up.
Too bad I really like this school, but the feeling is not mutual. lol

Strange that the deferred emails didn't come through but are on the portal.

Hopping on the deffered ride. Also on the portal.
I kinda wish they would just reject me. Better than having my hopes up.
Too bad I really like this school, but the feeling is not mutual. lol
Same. I remember seeing one of Dean Fogerty's posts saying a deferral is a good sign so I suppose things could be worse. But plz UA... I luv u.

It doesn't seem like anyone is being accepted. Maybe the class is full?

It doesn't seem like anyone is being accepted. Maybe the class is full?

We were told at the interview today that there are still acceptances to give out, and that our group would hear back on 2/19.