2017-2018 University of California - Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally Secondary received.

Sent app August 25th. LizzyM 70-74

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it too late to be expecting a secondary in September?

I was verified in June and requested a secondary in mid August. A few days later I received a secondary and then got an II two weeks ago. Advocate for yourself and best of luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
I was verified in June and requested a secondary in mid August. A few days later I received a secondary and then got an II two weeks ago. Advocate for yourself and best of luck :)

Congrats! Stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
As a current MS1 at Davis I wanted to respond to an earlier post.

To "hypothetically" claim that a school (Davis) has a 10% USMLE fail rate is plain wrong. I'm not sure why you're slandering a school especially without having actual data behind your claim.

Yes, the class sizes have increased. That's actually due to UC Davis' commitment to the underserved and wanting to help meet the needs of the growing physician shortage. They purposefully added 10 spots starting this year and yes, two or three students from prior years have joined my class. But really, our class sizes are still so small that professors know us by our individual names.

The anatomy slides aren't shared because the curriculum uses Netter, a copyrighted resource that is one of the best and most widely used/thorough guides for students learning anatomy. The school has given us Netter index cards, Cadaver based-anatomy lab, and recommended atlases that provide more than enough resources for learning Anatomy.

Professionalism tends to be taught at a professional school... The curriculum was designed by experts with our best interests in mind. In fact, they actually completely revamped our physiology course and purposefully integrated STEP exam questions in our curriculum/ assessments to prepare us for the boards. Of course it's not perfect, but which schools' curriculum is?!? Every medical school is constantly seeking ways to improve their curriculum (as they should be).

The faculty and staff absolutely dote on us here, they're constantly asking us for feedback and giving us an over abundance of resources. The professors have even volunteered their time to help my class study when they found out about our personal study sessions for anatomy. It's a school that genuinely cares about your happiness and well-being as a medical student and a school that strives to turn you into the absolute best physician you can be.

Reactions: 10 users
Here's a hypothetical:

Imagine a medical school that now has a 10% USMLE fail rate - true fail, not even just a 'bad' score - among its most recent class of test takers. Say that the same medical school has an average score that has dropped for four consecutive years.

Say that this imaginary school's class sizes are growing in part due to the number of students required to retake courses, trickling down from one or even two years ahead.

Imagine that this school holds students back for 'research years' as a tool to falsely inflate a high 'match rate'.

Now imagine that the same school has faculty that use instructional resources they are not allowed to share with students outside of the classroom (anatomy slides, for example - the most visual class of all, btw) and that their solution to the problem would be to front load the anatomy class, without moving any other coursework out of the way.

Say that the faculty who build the completely filled Mon-Fri, 9-5 calendar are accountable to no one, as the dean for curriculum is only hired upon their approval.

Imagine that an example of one of your many required classes would be an hour long lecture on how to write an email (and - oh yes - they will be taking attendance) all while you have five classes of medical science to study for and later be tested on.

Yikes! As an MS3 at UC Davis (feel free to check my post history), I'd like to hash out some of these claims and lay some fears to rest. Please PM me with any questions or concerns you may have.

First off - the match list hasn't been posted yet this year because the registrar's office is notoriously slow to post it. The year before's list was great (class of 2016), and it took several months. I do know that like 5 people from the last class matched into ortho, though ‍♀️

I will also say that EVERY class is different including culture and make up of class. The class of 2016 was particularly studious and killed Step. Class of 2017, to my knowledge, did less well. The class of 2018 did tremendously. There are ebbs and flows every year.

The number of students is actually growing because to my knowledge UCD had been losing revenue by letting MS4's graduate early, as they are wont to do after Match day.

Front loading the anatomy class was to reduce stress on students during Bloxk1, not because of slides. This train of logic does not make sense.

I can't speak to an hour long class on writing an email, as I was not required to attend such a lecture during my first two years. We had nothing of that sort.

My two cents: every medical school has curricular issues and drawbacks. UCD has an involved student process to get feedback on courses and what to do better. There are excellent courses and awful ones, as you'll find in every medical school... however, the majority of the heavy lifting in terms of learning and studying has to be done BY THE STUDENT, and UCD supports that greatly with OSLER and a supportive community. Anecdotally; I got a 250 on Step 1 using both UCD curricula and prep materials throughout the year. I know a UC Davis now PGY-1 who got a 262 off of only studying school curriculum during the year and using prep materials during dedicated. Oh, and the clinical training I've received thus far has been excellent all around.

Hit me up with your questions and concerns!

Reactions: 9 users
There are good things and bad things about davis but overall the experience has just been "okay" so far if anything imo but it depends on the person...make your own decisions based on the info you get and your own interests. I'm sure y'all know when a school fits you!

Just interviewed yesterday. I was really sold on Davis, especially the people. Everyone I met was really friendly and likeable. The MMI had lots of acting situations and I don’t feel like preparing helped me respond at all. Just go in and have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Transmitted in mid-June and still no secondary.
I have ties to UC Davis that were not stated in my primary, but cannot express without a secondary.

Should I bother remaining hopeful for a secondary at this point?

Transmitted in mid-June and still no secondary.
I have ties to UC Davis that were not stated in my primary, but cannot express without a secondary.

Should I bother remaining hopeful for a secondary at this point?
I'm in a similar situation, I sent an email explaining my ties in mid-July but no response yet (which also means no rejection!)

I don't know if the email helped my case at all but I'd say it doesn't hurt! But also, don't lose hope yet as they don't do silent rejections and they keep sending secondaries through December. :)

I received a secondary within 24 hours of being verified. I think their screening process has to do something with your activities!

Hey guys! I interviewed yesterday and absolutely loved it, but I can't stop worrying about whether my II was a mistake. Submitted 8/2, II 8/3 (less than 15 hours later), and received the "completed" email 8/14. I can't imagine a school would waste resources on an accidental invitation, but I still feel like it's a possibility. Any ideas?

(I'm new here, but it seems y'all like stats, so: LizzyM 75 and I live 20 minutes from the school, yippee!)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I interviewed yesterday and absolutely loved it, but I can't stop worrying about whether my II was a mistake. Submitted 8/2, II 8/3 (less than 15 hours later), and received the "completed" email 8/14. I can't imagine a school would waste resources on an accidental invitation, but I still feel like it's a possibility. Any ideas?

(I'm new here, but it seems y'all like stats, so: LizzyM 75 and I live 20 minutes from the school, yippee!)
Hey, I'm just going to tell you that you are literally my exact twin....I had the same situation...the same interview day..pretty much the same stats...and the sameeee impression! LOL but we can only sit and hope for the best!

I do believe, however, that it was not a mistake! You must have something that stood out and i hope the same for myself. I don't know how I feel about the interview but we should stay positive lol! Let's see what will happen on Oct 15!

Lol! First you are by far not the first applicant to be paranoid. Second guessing and doubting when something good happens is common amongst applicants. Heck i did it.
I cant stop you from worrying but rest assured that admissions puts so much effort into the process that I highly doubt that such a mistake would be made not to mention go unoticed all the way through your interview.
BTW we are glad you all enjoyed your visits. Good luck in the app cycle!

I was hoping someone can shed some lights into this matter!

I really enjoyed my time interviewing at UC Davis and I recently engaged in new activities that align with their mission. I know that the FAQs said that you can update through the portal but one of Deans said updates aren't usually taken seriously? Should i still send an update? would it hurt?

Thank you!

Still haven't gotten a secondary since they received it July 7th. I grew up in NorCal and have received all other UC's secondaries. Is there anything I can do to get a secondary or does Davis do silent rejections?

Still haven't gotten a secondary since they received it July 7th. I grew up in NorCal and have received all other UC's secondaries. Is there anything I can do to get a secondary or does Davis do silent rejections?
Is your home residency in norcal? What are your stats?

Current residency not in norcal :/, but childhood is. LizzyM ~72-73

It seems that most people who have received secondaries are NorCal residency.. For example, none of my SoCal friends received Davis secondaries (n=7). Stats are all in range and competitive.

It seems that most people who have received secondaries are NorCal residency.. For example, none of my SoCal friends received Davis secondaries (n=7). Stats are all in range and competitive.

I don't think having NorCal residency matters that much. I'm from SoCal, verified on 9/13, and received a secondary on 9/14. I think they screen with extracurricular activities because my stats are no where near some the people here. I guess we may never know their process!

I don't think having NorCal residency matters that much. I'm from SoCal, verified on 9/13, and received a secondary on 9/14. I think they screen with extracurricular activities because my stats are no where near some the people here. I guess we may never know their process!

I agree with you 100%, and from what I've seen on past UCD threads, it seem like they look for specific activities when screening apps.
+2 on being a SoCal who received a secondary the day after my app reached them.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Sorry this may sound very neurotic! But I loved Davis so much after my interview that I just went back to double check my secondary! but then under the prerequisite tab, I don't see any of my added courses...at the very end I saw this "
Your time period to submit your supplemental application has expired."

I had issues filling out this section before and I definitely remember inputting courses in! Does anyone else have the same issues? seeing the same thing after interview or complete?

Sorry if this bothers anyone! and thank you for your inputs!

Hello all,

Sorry this may sound very neurotic! But I loved Davis so much after my interview that I just went back to double check my secondary! but then under the prerequisite tab, I don't see any of my added courses...at the very end I saw this "
Your time period to submit your supplemental application has expired."

I had issues filling out this section before and I definitely remember inputting courses in! Does anyone else have the same issues? seeing the same thing after interview or complete?

Sorry if this bothers anyone! and thank you for your inputs!
my prereq section looks the same as yours so i think you're probably fine as i also remember completing this section. i was complete in late july and have not heard back still.

my prereq section looks the same as yours so i think you're probably fine as i also remember completing this section. i was complete in late july and have not heard back still.
Thank you for checking! Really appreciate it! I heard they still interview a lot more people so crossed my finger for you and others who are still waiting :)

Hello all again,

I have a quick question hoping someone can answer, especially those who interviewed. Does anyone remember what the deans or admission officers say about updates? I saw on their website that updates are accepted even though previous years, Davis did not allow them. I wonder if the deans said something differently and whether we can send updates.

Thank you!

Hello all again,

I have a quick question hoping someone can answer, especially those who interviewed. Does anyone remember what the deans or admission officers say about updates? I saw on their website that updates are accepted even though previous years, Davis did not allow them. I wonder if the deans said something differently and whether we can send updates.

Thank you!

Quoted from the secondary FAQs:

"Only when applicants are invited to interview will the Admissions Committee accept updates. Updates MUST be sent via the Message Center in the applicant portal and follow the character count limit. Attachments and additional letters of recommendation will not be accepted."

So in short, don't send updates unless you've been invited for an interview.

Quoted from the secondary FAQs:

"Only when applicants are invited to interview will the Admissions Committee accept updates. Updates MUST be sent via the Message Center in the applicant portal and follow the character count limit. Attachments and additional letters of recommendation will not be accepted."

So in short, don't send updates unless you've been invited for an interview.

I was invited to interview and actually interviewed but at the same time, I remember hearing something about updates on interview day but I can't remember so i'm trying to ask if anyone remember.

Thank you for your inputs nevertheless :)

I was invited to interview and actually interviewed but at the same time, I remember hearing something about updates on interview day but I can't remember so i'm trying to ask if anyone remember.

Thank you for your inputs nevertheless :)

Ohh I see. Well if it helps, I don't remember hearing anything conflicting on my interview day. Maybe someone else heard differently as well?

Wow! That's so great! I'm thinking of doing the same. My primary was done in June, but I still have not received a secondary from Davis. What did you write in your email?

Still waiting, complete email 7/31. Been two months now no II. I have low stats strong story and extracurriculurs, NorCal resident, no other interviews yet :(
This school is my number one

Did you guys apply as disadvantaged? They interview through March so I’m thinking they are getting to the high stats right now and will get to people like me later in the cycle...I hope

Did you guys apply as disadvantaged? They interview through March so I’m thinking they are getting to the high stats right now and will get to people like me later in the cycle...I hope
i don't have high stats :/ LM mid-60s, and no i did not apply as a disadvantaged applicant. i am non-traditional with my greatest strengths being my research background (have close to 15,000 hrs of research and LOTS of publications), PS, ECs, letters, etc. Hopefully, Davis takes a holistic approach like they say they do.

Nope didn't apply as disadvantaged. I feel I'm a normal competitive applicant. 515 and 3.8. EC are solid. Yea id love to go to Davis. So close to home.

I applied disadvantaged and am from the bay. LizzyM ~70 urm, still no II and complete early July. Really want a chance here

Alright. It's 9/29 and I was verified something like 6/5. Is it safe to say that I'm not going to get a secondary from here?

I'm thinking about contacting the Admissions Office and just requesting a decision on whether or not they're gonna send me a secondary or just reject me at this point.

Alright. It's 9/29 and I was verified something like 6/5. Is it safe to say that I'm not going to get a secondary from here?

I'm thinking about contacting the Admissions Office and just requesting a decision on whether or not they're gonna send me a secondary or just reject me at this point.

They will probably tell you that they're still looking at your application.

In all honesty, I'd assume it's a silent rejection if I were you. Are you from Norcal / do you have ties to Davis, etc? Davis seems to have a unique prescreening process that isn't exactly metrics based. You can try calling Davis if you want, but I agree with the above poster who said that they will probably just tell you that they're still looking at your app.

In all honesty, I'd assume it's a silent rejection if I were you. Are you from Norcal / do you have ties to Davis, etc? Davis seems to have a unique prescreening process that isn't exactly metrics based. You can try calling Davis if you want, but I agree with the above poster who said that they will probably just tell you that they're still looking at your app.
Davis doesn’t do silent rejections, even pre-secondary.

There seems to be a lot of discrepancy in "theories" of who actually gets a secondary, so I'll share my 2 cents and hopefully some of you can add. My MCAT score just came in this week and it seems like I got an "automatic" secondary because the email came the same time as the "application received" email. Stat wise, I'm on the low end with LizzyM 63. uGPA 3.7; gradGPA 3.9; mCAT 503. SoCal. EC's: Pending master's thesis in bio + TA; 3 years hospital volunteer + leadership; 3 years scribe experience. Pretty standard premed EC's. I was trying to figure out if I should do a secondary for this school after hearing how much they favor NorCal. Went searching on reddit/sdn and could not find a straight answer of how they screen 2°. Based on UCD website, seems like they initially screen based on EC's. Can anyone add to this?

There seems to be a lot of discrepancy in "theories" of who actually gets a secondary, so I'll share my 2 cents and hopefully some of you can add. My MCAT score just came in this week and it seems like I got an "automatic" secondary because the email came the same time as the "application received" email. Stat wise, I'm on the low end with LizzyM 63. uGPA 3.7; gradGPA 3.9; mCAT 503. SoCal. EC's: Pending master's thesis in bio + TA; 3 years hospital volunteer + leadership; 3 years scribe experience. Pretty standard premed EC's. I was trying to figure out if I should do a secondary for this school after hearing how much they favor NorCal. Went searching on reddit/sdn and could not find a straight answer of how they screen 2°. Based on UCD website, seems like they initially screen based on EC's. Can anyone add to this?
So I also have lower end stats,l LizzyM score of 60. I did 3 years of tutoring in underserved community as well as 3 years of volunteer to Big Brother Big Sisters. I have research but no publications yet. I am researching at an Ivy League school for a year and got a letter of recommendation from a doctor here. I thought it was an MCAT screen out or a GPA screen out... but I think it has to do with ECs because I got a secondary almost within seconds of getting the application recieved email.

Davis doesn’t do silent rejections, even pre-secondary.
Right, thanks for the clarification! They send post-secondary, pre II rejections starting around Feb - at least according to last year.
So I also have lower end stats,l LizzyM score of 60. I did 3 years of tutoring in underserved community as well as 3 years of volunteer to Big Brother Big Sisters. I have research but no publications yet. I am researching at an Ivy League school for a year and got a letter of recommendation from a doctor here. I thought it was an MCAT screen out or a GPA screen out... but I think it has to do with ECs because I got a secondary almost within seconds of getting the application recieved email.

I think an equally impt question is, among those who have received secondaries, how do they determine who gets IIs? I don't think any of us will ever know haha. At least to receive a secondary, it doesn't seem heavily stats based but more a factor of ECs, diverse experiences, fit with school's mission, and geography with preference seemingly awarded to those from norcal/ties to Davis. In general, do stats play a really impt factor after they've prescreened for secondaries? I'd assume they do given they don't appear to play as much a factor pre-secondary.

Last edited:
No love from here....weird. I thought this would be somewhere I'd have a very good chance at an interview. I guess no school is a safety school!

No love from here....weird. I thought this would be somewhere I'd have a very good chance at an interview. I guess no school is a safety school!

When were you complete?

When were you complete?
Mid-August. I've gotten love from Top 10s/Top 20s, but nothing here. Guess this process really is unpredictable.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

For those of you who got interviews.. Did you find out via the portal or through email?