2017-2018 University of California - Riverside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone know the chances of receiving an II if we're from Cali but not the Inland Empire (no ties either)?

Just got the secondary but deciding whether or not to submit :/

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know the chances of receiving an II if we're from Cali but not the Inland Empire (no ties either)?

Just got the secondary but deciding whether or not to submit :/

On the same boat. My LizzyM is ~75 and I'm wondering if it is worth the time and money to apply to this school. I read a post about how they strongly favor IE resident and save 24 seats for those who graduate from UCR undergrad.

Anyone have a comment on this?

Reactions: 1 user
On the same boat. My LizzyM is ~75 and I'm wondering if it is worth the time and money to apply to this school. I read a post about how they strongly favor IE resident and save 24 seats for those who graduate from UCR undergrad.

Anyone have a comment on this?
People not from the IE do get in, but odds aren't that great. You're right in basically half the class being reserved for UCR alumni. They're also very mission focused and don't really seem to care about stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
For everyone that got secondaries, what are your stats?

Verified 7/24
Secondary Received 8/1

MCAT 505
sGPA: 3.27
cGPA: 3.56

CA resident, not from IE.

Feels like most of you have higher academic stats than me, so I'm guessing it was EC's/Experiences that got me a secondary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone! I am a current medical student at UCR. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about the application process, UCR or even Riverside in general. Good luck everyone!

Hi Everyone! I am a current medical student at UCR. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about the application process, UCR or even Riverside in general. Good luck everyone!
Thank you!
1. Why Do you think you got admitted to UCR? Are you an IE resident? Thanks!

Does anyone have any insight on how many secondaries are sent vs. how many IIs? I am a SoCal native but not the IE. I applied last year and did not get a secondary, but this year I did.

Does anyone have any insight on how many secondaries are sent vs. how many IIs? I am a SoCal native but not the IE. I applied last year and did not get a secondary, but this year I did.

do you mind sharing how your app changed from last cycle?

• 1) "Please list any Scholastic Activities that you have been involved with (including honors and awards)"
how are others answering this prompt? simply listing titles of activites/honors/awards or discussing each in complete sentences?

2) "Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.)"

if most hardships/challenges were discussed in several of the other prompts, can this one be left blank? just unsure because the personal statement prompt at the end says optional, however this one does not.

thank you!

• 1) "Please list any Scholastic Activities that you have been involved with (including honors and awards)"
how are others answering this prompt? simply listing titles of activites/honors/awards or discussing each in complete sentences?

2) "Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.)"

if most hardships/challenges were discussed in several of the other prompts, can this one be left blank? just unsure because the personal statement prompt at the end says optional, however this one does not.

thank you!

For one I just listed them, for two I spoke about a different challenge / hardship experienced because I had mentioned my go to challenges in the other prompts as well

Called them just now and neither person was in the office. I'm going to sit on this application until one of them gets back to me (this activities thing is the last thing to do; my essays are done). If I had to guess, I'd say this is UCR's version of UCI's activities--reprint only your most important activities from the primary to focus adcom's attention on them, but "we have all the activities to look at also".

EDIT: UCR Med Admissions got back to me--we list our most important 4-7 activities in order of importance; they do have all 15 (or however many you entered) activities to look at if they want; and Description can be filled with a variety of things from activity title to position held to even 1-2 descriptive sentences (that field doesn't look very inviting for full sentences though).

Only tagging people who asked about it on this page: @sboardclark @dr. hermione @Seiken_ @ScreenName23

Btw submitted!

can we add activities not listed on the primary app?

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend (back in 2012) got an II here with a 31/32 MCAT (old) and a GPA I think around 3.6-3.7. She had no ties to IE. Not exactly sure how common that is.

I have no ties to the IE, so I have no idea if it's worth me even applying here

My friend (back in 2012) got an II here with a 31/32 MCAT (old) and a GPA I think around 3.6-3.7. She had no ties to IE. Not exactly sure how common that is.

I have no ties, I got a secondary and my GPA and MCAT are much lower than most people on here. I say it's worth a shot if you fit their mission and you have the money.

do you mind sharing how your app changed from last cycle?
I took some classes to improve my GPA a little bit (still low, but basically my sGPA went form 2.89 to ~3.2), as well as did a lot of clinical work/was a research assistant for a pediatrician in Colombia.

For the non-academic activity prompt, are they looking for something like research or completely unrelated to school?

For the non-academic activity prompt, are they looking for something like research or completely unrelated to school?

I feel research would still be related to academics. I would suggest work experience or community service.

I feel research would still be related to academics. I would suggest work experience or community service.

I'm so mad at myself for misunderstanding this prompt. I did mine on personal event fml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so mad at myself for misunderstanding this prompt. I did mine on personal event fml

Don't stress out just yet. If you were able to answer the question using a non-academic experience, then it is still fair game. If the experience was "the single MOST important" activity then I'm sure they'll consider it. Plus, this is just my belief, I could be wrong. Who knows what will be the deciding factor for each applicant.

I did a personal event as well that is what I interpreted because non-academic tells me everything outside of school.

I did a personal event as well that is what I interpreted because non-academic tells me everything outside of school.
I did something similar for the "most important moment" question and talked about a family moment that had personal significance for me. Welp.

Same. I took the question literally and talked about a family moment that had personal significance for me. Welp.
I talked about a family event as well. This should not be something to worry about.

I talked about a hobby lol...now I'm second guessing what they wanted. I took it as anything outside of school

Yup. Got an email at 10:02 PST stating, "Our Admissions Committee has concluded its evaluation of your application to the UCR School of Medicine. Unfortunately, we are unable to take further action on your application. With 90+ applications for each seat in our class, the committee had to make many difficult choices and turn away a large number of exceptionally strong candidates."

I'm honestly not surprised given I have a low LizzyM (63.5) but after I got a secondary from Davis, I guess I just assumed that I'd get one from Riverside and Irvine too.
just got a secondary! I'm not an IE resident and didn't go to UCR though (I'm from LA). does anyone know how their screening process works? o_O

Their pre-secondary screen is definitely not heavily / exclusively stats-based as I have quite a low LizzyM (definitely lower than most ppl on this thread and others I know who got rejected pre-secondary from Riverside with much higher LizzyM values). Nevertheless I got a secondary after waiting around a month for it following my primary AMCAS verification. I am also not from Southern California but am very, very nontraditional.

Looked it up and all i could find was this:
"The UCR School of Medicine Admissions Committee evaluated 2,423 applications for the inaugural class, invited 725 applicants to submit secondary applications, and interviewed 212 applicants using the Multiple Mini-Interview (MMI) format." Could not find more recent data though, but I'd imagine the statistics are probably similar to more recent years.

Looked it up and all i could find was this:
"The UCR School of Medicine Admissions Committee evaluated 2,423 applications for the inaugural class, invited 725 applicants to submit secondary applications, and interviewed 212 applicants using the Multiple Mini-Interview (MMI) format." Could not find more recent data though, but I'd imagine the statistics are probably similar to more recent years.
There were 5504 apps for the 2016 app cycle, with 246 interviewed, all IS. Couldn't find any info about how many secondaries were sent out. But I imagine the total number of apps only grows each year.

• What experiences or activities have prepared you to work with medically underserved communities?
Are we suppose to write an essay or can we do bullet point of a few activities we've done and how that prepared us?

I would write an essay...bullet points (although clear and concise) can suggest laziness and inability to compose a narrative for the question asked.

By applying, do you mean adding it to your primary AMCAS school list, or applying via secondary submission? The difference is, of course, financial with the secondary costing $105 so if you have the money then sure, why not? Can't get in if you don't apply! If you fit their mission, even with no current ties to IE, I would apply.

for the list question does anyone know if we also list things like college sports and organizations or is it more for research?

for the list question does anyone know if we also list things like college sports and organizations or is it more for research?

I listed research, awards, and scholastic organisations. I would list awards you have gotten through sports if any but I do not think that sports themselves fit the question.

By applying, do you mean adding it to your primary AMCAS school list, or applying via secondary submission? The difference is, of course, financial with the secondary costing $105 so if you have the money then sure, why not? Can't get in if you don't apply! If you fit their mission, even with no current ties to IE, I would apply.

Applying with the primary. I haven't selected it as a school yet. Their mission seemed very IE specific so wasn't sure I would qualify, but might give it a shot

Anyone else have a message that says interview not scheduled with a lock icon on their status page?

Anyone else have a message that says interview not scheduled with a lock icon on their status page?

Yes, and the consensus is that it does not mean anything. I believe everyone that submitted a secondary has this.

Yes, and the consensus is that it does not mean anything. I believe everyone that submitted a secondary has this.
awesome, I figured as much just wanted to double check. The silence from all of these school can be deafening

II. complete 7/17.
Available dates are 9/9 and 9/23 which are Saturdays, which is nice.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you feel that the primary care centered curriculum would hold anyone back from pursuing specialties outside primary care?

I am DYING for a UCR Interview. One of my top choices - my cousin went here for undergrad and I visited him all the time. The program really aims to teach you to work with underserved populations.

C'mon Scotty Highlander, get me some lovin

Long time lurker, but II. Complete 7/11. LizzyM 72. Non-URM. Grew up in IE and UCR Alum so I applied Haider. It looks like they do two sessions of interviews a day, no idea how many interview spots there are each session though.

People who got IIs: did you get an email or just check the portal?

anyone know if they are strict about submitting the secondary "within 2 weeks"?

anyone know if they are strict about submitting the secondary "within 2 weeks"?

It is not a strict deadline, they won't rescind the secondary if you don't submit it by a certain date. Submitting it as early as possible shows genuine interest in the program and will move you through the process sooner.