2017-2018 University of California - Riverside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it okay to leave the section that asks about further information that I would like the committee to know in addition to my personal statement? They say it is not mandatory but I have heard that even if something is optional, you should still write something. Also, I do not really have much to add since they had many questions, so I am just scared now...

Members don't see this ad.

Is it okay to leave the section that asks about further information that I would like the committee to know in addition to my personal statement? They say it is not mandatory but I have heard that even if something is optional, you should still write something. Also, I do not really have much to add since they had many questions, so I am just scared now...
Definitely not required. Usually if they emphasize that a prompt isn't mandatory it's really not.

Reactions: 1 user
"Please list any scholastic activities that you have been involved with"

Did you all just list them without explanations? Not sure if they want us to give a brief description

Members don't see this ad :)
I recall last year their website indicated that they specifically were looking to recruit students who intended to remain in the IE area but I notice this year the language states "Inland Southern California". I wonder if their scope has broadened or if perhaps too many people just didn't know exactly what "Inland Empire" meant.

Just added this school to my primary. Hope it's not too late. Congrats to people who received secondaries or II!

I'm lagging on this secondary because I'm having touble with the first two questions. My "MOST" important event/activity is one of my most meaningful activities discussed in my primary and the accomplishment I am "MOST" proud of was briefly discussed in my personal statement. This accomplishment aligns with their mission perfectly. I also have an award I received which I can write about but it is not the one I am most proud of.

Would it be too redundant to write about these activities again? They're asking for the "MOST" in both questions so not sure how to approach this. Any input is appreciated!

I'm lagging on this secondary because I'm having touble with the first two questions. My "MOST" important event/activity is one of my most meaningful activities discussed in my primary and the accomplishment I am "MOST" proud of was briefly discussed in my personal statement. This accomplishment aligns with their mission perfectly. I also have an award I received which I can write about but it is not the one I am most proud of.

Would it be too redundant to write about these activities again? They're asking for the "MOST" in both questions so not sure how to approach this. Any input is appreciated!

I think if you talk about them from a different angle that feels fresh then it shouldn't be a problem

How heavily does this school screen primary apps? Cause I submitted last Friday and just got the secondary

How heavily does this school screen primary apps? Cause I submitted last Friday and just got the secondary
It really depends on the applicants, I think. Some got a secondary way faster than others. I would say they liked your stats and your ECs and essays so far. Good luck!!!

Are there any current students and/or applicants willing to look over my secondary essays?

Has your education been continuous since graduation from high school?
-did anyone find out if this question applies to post-undergrad gap years? (i.e. since we graduated)

Please provide a list of those activities that were most important to you in terms of developing your academic, social, and overall personal growth. Please list those activities as indicated below. Limit your responses to the space provided, dragging the most important activities to the top.

-can we add new experiences since the primary application? any consensus as to how much they want us to write per experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
II earlier today as well. Complete 07/11! :) Anyone know what the interviews here are like?

Has your education been continuous since graduation from high school?
-did anyone find out if this question applies to post-undergrad gap years? (i.e. since we graduated)

Please provide a list of those activities that were most important to you in terms of developing your academic, social, and overall personal growth. Please list those activities as indicated below. Limit your responses to the space provided, dragging the most important activities to the top.

-can we add new experiences since the primary application? any consensus as to how much they want us to write per experience?

I spoke about what I've been doing since I graduated (non-trad student here). You can also speak about summers where you did not take classes.

Yes, of course, it does not state it has to be things prior to applying. I think the open ended questions are asked to allow us to interpret the question the way we see best and to allow us to incorporate many experiences.

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY PROMPTS!!!!!?!?!? WTF RIVERSIDE!!!! Okay I'm done ranting.

Reactions: 4 users
I want a II SO BAD

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I know it's hard (I'm dying from the wait myself) but dude, you have 11 II's already. I think you're already in an excellent place. A lot of people are still hoping for their first one.

Reactions: 1 users
I know it's hard (I'm dying from the wait myself) but dude, you have 11 II's already. I think you're already in an excellent place. A lot of people are still hoping for their first one.

Yes yes, I am grateful. But if UCR sends me an acceptance, I'm ready to give up all other schools :)

Yes yes, I am grateful. But if UCR sends me an acceptance, I'm ready to give up all other schools :)
Yeah I have no empathy for you either bro :p Take my secondary, I'll take your 11 interviews

II, im from inland empire, went to school in Bay area!

Edit: secondary received and submitted 7/12, app complete 7/12

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
First II!! So excited!! Secondary received 7/6, complete 7/17. Living in IE but did not go to UCR undergrad.

II! Secondary received 7/12, complete 7/14. LizzyM 68; SoCal resident but no ties to IE whatsoever. Keep the faith, guys!

Reactions: 3 users
I can't find it anymore but somewhere it says that the interviews are "short interviews." Are they referring to MMIs or something else? What is interview day like in general if any current UCR students are reading this

I can't find it anymore but somewhere it says that the interviews are "short interviews." Are they referring to MMIs or something else? What is interview day like in general if any current UCR students are reading this
Per MSAR, it's an MMI interview. Likely with 12 stations as there are 12 interviewees per cohort.

Per MSAR, it's an MMI interview. Likely with 12 stations as there are 12 interviewees per cohort.

I see. 12 per cohort so I am assuming session A and B both combine to 24ish interviewees per day! Maybe 26 if there is a rest station.

Has anyone that submitted their secondary in August heard back yet? Any updates? Sooo eager.

Has anyone that submitted their secondary in August heard back yet? Any updates? Sooo eager.

Submitted mine on 8/5, haven't heard back yet. I'm sure we will hear back next week or so!

Just a question: For the prompt "
Please list any Scholastic Activities that you have been involved with (including honors and awards)"

What exactly constitutes a "Scholastic Activity"?

Seems like all the interview invites now are going to people who submitted mid-late July still. August people won't be hearing back until late September probably.

Ok, just submitted my secondary to here this afternoon. No ties to the IE, so I don't have a lot of faith in getting an II, but here's hoping!

II just now!!!! Complete mid July. Born and raised in the IE. Does anyone know how many people are interviewed and how many are accepted after being interviewed??
Edit: NVM just saw the stats put on this thread.
Any tips on how to prepare for the MMI interview? This will be my first MMI.

Any recent updates from people?
Had my interview at Riverside last week. They sold the school very well. The students seemed really happy and relaxed. MMI was not really all that bad, they did their best to make it as fun as possible (lol, at the actual cowbell they used as a timer). The school's very much aware of its youngish history but seem very driven to expand and improve their program (the Haider foundation definitely gave them a strong head start). It is a very mission driven school, the Dean described it as "the only UC med school without a PRIME program...because the school's mission is PRIME". Obviously there is a strong emphasis on primary care but all of the medical students I spoke to were actually going into other specialties besides primary care and they vouched for the school's support in their endeavors.

Also, they get bonus points for being the only medical school with an interviewee break-room equipped with coloring books, jigsaw puzzles and candy, all great for MMI nerves.

Reactions: 12 users
Do you feel that the primary care centered curriculum would hold anyone back from pursuing specialties outside primary care?
Hi,
Sorry for the incredibly late reply! It has been really hectic and I hadn't checked SDN for a while. To answer your question, I know that our mission is primary care oriented but I don't feel like our curriculum is exactly primary care centered. Just to give you some info, in last year's match, the number of students who matched into surgery was the same as the number of students who went into family med. Also, I think about 85% of students matched in California (Some of the match sites: UCR,UCLA,UCSD,UCI,UC Davis, UCSF-Fresno, Cedars-Sinai, USC, various Kaiser sites.) I absolutely agree with @fly_youfools that most of us (well, at least in my class) are interested in a specialty that's not in primary care. We have plethora of resources (interest groups, physician mentorship programs etc.) to help students figure out the specialty that would be most suitable for their interests. (On a total side note, I think that we have some of the best people working at our student affairs office, who are super supportive and genuinely cares about our careers and well-being. They will connect you with the right people so that you can gain experience that you want/need to strengthen your interests in ANY residency.)

Reactions: 5 users
Does everyone on the portal get the "Interview" with a lock and "Not scheduled yet" just wondering lol

I am getting neurotic. Submitted my secondary 7/18 and today called admission to see whats' up; they said I am still being screened!!!!
I feel like I need to do something to add an update on my application otherwise it will be a silent/ or a very late rejection for me. AHAHAHAH

I am getting neurotic. Submitted my secondary 7/18 and today called admission to see whats' up; they said I am still being screened!!!!
I feel like I need to do something to add an update on my application otherwise it will be a silent/ or a very late rejection for me. AHAHAHAH
i also was complete around same time and complete silence ever since. seems like they haven't sent out too many IIs though as this thread has been fairly quiet overall.

i also was complete around same time and complete silence ever since. seems like they haven't sent out too many IIs though as this thread has been fairly quiet overall.
Ucr does not interview very many people in general as the class size is small. There are less than 300 interview slots

Ucr does not interview very many people in general as the class size is small. There are less than 300 interview slots
Can second this. There are 11 interview days total with 24 invited applicants for a total of 264 slots. They spread out their interview dates to give all applicants a fair chance of being considered.

Can second this. There are 11 interview days total with 24 invited applicants for a total of 264 slots. They spread out their interview dates to give all applicants a fair chance of being considered.
Lol, I initially read that as you meaning UCR only invites 24 applicants over the course of 11 days :eek: Coffee, feel free to kick in soon kthx