2023-2024 UC Riverside

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 UC Riverside Secondary Essay Prompts (250 words each)

1. The mission of the UCR School of Medicine is to improve the health of the people of California and, especially, to serve Inland Southern California by training a diverse workforce of physicians and by developing innovative research and health care delivery programs that will improve the health of the medically underserved in the region and become models to be emulated throughout the state and nation. What experiences, skills, and abilities will you bring to the class to fulfill this mission?

2. The values of the UCR SOM are integrity, innovation, inclusion, excellence, accountability and respect. Please
choose one of the values and tell us how you have personally experienced it or have seen it emulated in a clinical setting.

3. In what type of healthcare setting do you see yourself practicing medicine?

4. Tell us about a personal challenge you have faced in your life thus far and how you demonstrated resilience and grit to overcome it. [
Please do not write about studying for or taking the MCAT.]

(Optional) If there is anything you would like the committee to consider about your candidacy that is not explained elsewhere in your application, please use this space to tell us.

(only if you are non-california resident) If you answered Yes, please explain your connection to Inland Southern California and the mission of the UC Riverside School of Medicine

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of California, Riverside - School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone having a hard time getting the prereqs accepted

Members don't see this ad :)
IS, from IE secondary received

For the course title, do you guys put the course name or the course number?

Anyone IS not from IE receive anything yet?

if you look at last year's thread, they're usually late to the game - late july/early august

Reactions: 1 user
@wysdoc

1. The mission of the UCR School of Medicine is to improve the health of the people of California and, especially, to serve Inland Southern California by training a diverse workforce of physicians and by developing innovative research and health care delivery programs that will improve the health of the medically underserved in the region and become models to be emulated throughout the state and nation. What experiences, skills, and abilities will you bring to the class to fulfill this mission?

2. The values of the UCR SOM are integrity, innovation, inclusion, excellence, accountability and respect. Please choose one of the values and tell us how you have personally experienced it or have seen it emulated in a clinical setting.

4. Tell us about a personal challenge you have faced in your life thus far and how you demonstrated resilience and grit to overcome it. [Please do not write about studying for or taking the MCAT.]

5. (Optional) If there is anything you would like the committee to consider about your candidacy that is not explained elsewhere in your application, please use this space to tell us.

6. (only if you are non-california resident) If you answered Yes, please explain your connection to Inland Southern California and the mission of the UC Riverside School of Medicine

Reactions: 1 users
@wysdoc

2. The values of the UCR SOM are integrity, innovation, inclusion, excellence, accountability and respect. Please choose one of the values and tell us how you have personally experienced it or have seen it emulated in a clinical setting.

4. Tell us about a personal challenge you have faced in your life thus far and how you demonstrated resilience and grit to overcome it. [Please do not write about studying for or taking the MCAT.]

5. (Optional) If there is anything you would like the committee to consider about your candidacy that is not explained elsewhere in your application, please use this space to tell us.

6. (only if you are non-california resident) If you answered Yes, please explain your connection to Inland Southern California and the mission of the UC Riverside School of Medicine
Is there a character/word limit?

Members don't see this ad :)
IS secondary received today, LA area

their wording is interesting:

"Based on an initial review of your AMCAS application, we believe that you may be a good fit to our program and hope to get to know you better. WE INVITE YOU TO SUBMIT A SECONDARY APPLICATION."

- I thought they dont screen why would they say this?

their wording is interesting:

"Based on an initial review of your AMCAS application, we believe that you may be a good fit to our program and hope to get to know you better. WE INVITE YOU TO SUBMIT A SECONDARY APPLICATION."

- I thought they dont screen why would they say this?
Pretty sure they do based on mission fit? Inland empire residence or prior work maybe?

Pretty sure they do based on mission fit? Inland empire residence or prior work maybe?
From their page:
  • We will begin reviewing applications in mid-July.
    • Each applicant’s complete portfolio will be reviewed carefully in order to select students who are not only academically qualified but who have the breadth of volunteer/community and personal experiences to ensure that they will become physicians well prepared to care for the diverse population in our communities.
    • Applications may not be reviewed in the order they are received.
  • Secondary application invitations will be sent out from July through December 2023.
About 53% of matriculants last year had ties to the Riverside/Inland Empire area, so they do consider applicants from other areas.
The rest of the selectivity is probably mission fit.
Class was 78 CA residents and 3 OOS.

I'm a bit confused on their diversity metric question asking about my native language. It asks, "Do you consider English as your native language?" I grew up speaking a different language in my home with my parents, which was my first language. However, growing up in the U.S., I simultaneously learned English. Not exactly sure what to put.

I'm a bit confused on their diversity metric question asking about my native language. It asks, "Do you consider English as your native language?" I grew up speaking a different language in my home with my parents, which was my first language. However, growing up in the U.S., I simultaneously learned English. Not exactly sure what to put.
"I'm bilingual and I learned these 2 languages together from babyhood"

I would say English is not your native language… does not mean you are not fluent in English it just means your first language was not English… idk tbh

"I'm bilingual and I learned these 2 languages together from babyhood"
Yeah I just ended up clicking "no" since it didn't give a place to explain and was just a "yes" or "no" answer. If it comes up in the future in a potential interview, then I'll definitely explain it like that.

I just got mine right now… my secondary… I submitted the first day possible and was verified 2 days later!

Also I went to UCR, wondering if anyone else did to as we have a certain amount of spots for UCR alumni 🫣

I just got mine right now… my secondary… I submitted the first day possible and was verified 2 days later!

Also I went to UCR, wondering if anyone else did to as we have a certain amount of spots for UCR alumni 🫣
They don't "save" a certain amount of spots as far as I can determine, but having lived & studied in Riverside fits you as someone from the region.

They don't "save" a certain amount of spots as far as I can determine, but having lived & studied in Riverside fits you as someone from the region.
That is true but you must have attended UCR to be part of the Thomas Haider accepted applicants

IS, socal, LM71
Strong ties but no way for them to know until secondary submission. So happy I got it.

I understand that labs do not count towards credits, but do we need to be inputting them in the prereqs page?

Does anyone understand prompt 1? So we basically have to address serving CA, helping underserved, and "developing innovative research and health care delivery programs"? Seems like a lot to address in 250 words.

OOS received secondary 7/22 complete 7/23. My dad's brother lives and is a physician in IE. Does that count as "strong ties"

Haven't expressed ties to the IE yet, wondering if I should mention that my longterm partner grew up in the IE and we are considering settling down there in the optional essay?

Wondering if anyone substituted anything in the Spanish prereq section? You can substitute other courses and I was wondering about substituting the other foreign language I took. Leaning to no, just clicking 'no courses', but wondering what others' thoughts are.

Wondering if anyone substituted anything in the Spanish prereq section? You can substitute other courses and I was wondering about substituting the other foreign language I took. Leaning to no, just clicking 'no courses', but wondering what others' thoughts are.
I did the substitute option because of the same thing

Is it worth submitting a secondary to UCR if you are over their 90th mcat score? I am lowkey getting discouraged because I have no ties to IE and feel like I don't have a strong narrative for their mission, but I really do want to stay in California. Also, is the one-week deadline a strict cut-off?

Is it worth submitting a secondary to UCR if you are over their 90th mcat score? I am lowkey getting discouraged because I have no ties to IE and feel like I don't have a strong narrative for their mission, but I really do want to stay in California. Also, is the one-week deadline a strict cut-off?
If you are from California, they do not require an IE tie essay, so you are good there. No, it is a suggested cut-off, so I would probably stick within or close to that range. I mean, if you are worried about your options, and Cali is where you want to stay, I would just go for it and do your best to relate what you've done to improve their mission

If we are a CA resident with ties to IE that are not stated elsewhere on our app, can we put that in the "is there anything else you want to tell us?" or is it not needed

submitted primary today and received secondary a few hours later, IS Bay Area. Clearly no GPA screen (trust me on this one), and the quickness with which I got my secondary makes me skeptical of any major screen in general