2017-2018 University of California - San Diego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Approaching the 6th week..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Approaching the 6th week..
I wonder what's gonna happen when week 6 ends. This thread's been relatively quiet with IIs. I can't imagine a huge hold/rejection wave going out.

does anyone know if they actually stick to their 2-6 week claim? I'm 4 weeks out an haven't heard anything

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if they actually stick to their 2-6 week claim? I'm 4 weeks out an haven't heard anything
I was put on hold last year 10 weeks after my complete date, so I wouldn't rely on the 2-6 week thing.

Reactions: 3 users
but did they say 2-6 weeks on their complete email last year?? just curious cause i'm on approaching my 6th week
Yeah, they did. Try not to freak out too much (easier said than done, I know) because they don't do silent rejections. You're bound to hear something eventually. :)

Yeah, they did. Try not to freak out too much (easier said than done, I know) because they don't do silent rejections. You're bound to hear something eventually. :)
Thanks for letting us know. The 2-6 weeks thing is just too good to be true with the volume of applications that they receive.

hey there everyone,

I feel quite silly asking this (because I wouldn't expect to put myself in this situation), but realistically I've been prioritizing some other secondaries that were more important to me over others .. anyone know if UCSD is very hard and fast about the 2 week deadline on the secondary? Is it a lost cause to submit ASAP?

many thanks and good luck to all!

hey there everyone,

I feel quite silly asking this (because I wouldn't expect to put myself in this situation), but realistically I've been prioritizing some other secondaries that were more important to me over others .. anyone know if UCSD is very hard and fast about the 2 week deadline on the secondary? Is it a lost cause to submit ASAP?

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't prioritize UCSD either and submitted at the 4 week mark. :p

Reactions: 1 user
hey there everyone,

Wait I'm pretty sure UCSD has a 4-week deadline? Am I mistaken?

oh no .. well, I am unfortunately an MSTP applicant :/

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone, looking for some feedback here as I'm sure if i should apply or not...
OOS re-applicant with 3.75 cGPA and 3.68 sGPA, 510 mcat that dropped to 508 :( . last year i submitted my primary very late and somehow got the secondary for UCSF & UCSD... this year, i applied a month earlier (first week of july, still not great) but i havent applied to UCSD yet. The only reason I'm thinking of adding it now is that i got the secondary to UCLA recently, which i didnt get last year. overall, my application was very very research heavy last year, but after getting feedback from adcoms, ive done over 1000+ clincal hours plus interesting non-clincal volunteer that is geared towards my passion for psychiatry. I'm also ORM racially, but i did go through some challenges that helped me mature significantly.

TL;DR: mcat that barely makes the 10th percentile, but last year got secondary to UCSF & UCSD but not UCLA. This year, made a lot of improvement to application, already received and submitted UCLA secondary, now wondering if i should apply to UCSD again.

(sorry for reposting this from UCSF, looking for any feedback as I want to balance being realistic vs hopeful...thank you so much!)
It sounds like you're improved the non-numbers parts of your application and have a clear commitment to medicine. It's $39 for a chance at a UCSD secondary... If you can afford that, I vote that you submit.

hi everyone, looking for some feedback here as I'm sure if i should apply or not...
OOS re-applicant with 3.75 cGPA and 3.68 sGPA, 510 mcat that dropped to 508 :( . last year i submitted my primary very late and somehow got the secondary for UCSF & UCSD... this year, i applied a month earlier (first week of july, still not great) but i havent applied to UCSD yet. The only reason I'm thinking of adding it now is that i got the secondary to UCLA recently, which i didnt get last year. overall, my application was very very research heavy last year, but after getting feedback from adcoms, ive done over 1000+ clincal hours plus interesting non-clincal volunteer that is geared towards my passion for psychiatry. I'm also ORM racially, but i did go through some challenges that helped me mature significantly.

TL;DR: mcat that barely makes the 10th percentile, but last year got secondary to UCSF & UCSD but not UCLA. This year, made a lot of improvement to application, already received and submitted UCLA secondary, now wondering if i should apply to UCSD again.

(sorry for reposting this from UCSF, looking for any feedback as I want to balance being realistic vs hopeful...thank you so much!)

If you were IS then I'd say definitely apply, but as an OOS applicant UCSD would classify as a reach school. I'd say apply if you're okay with paying the app fee, but keep in mind that it is a reach. Also this is my opinion, but receiving a secondary from a UC doesn't necessarily mean you're competitive for an II.

How long did it take you all to finish the UCSD secondary? Haven't started and I have roughly two more weeks to complete it, on top of like 10 other secondaries. Just curious.

For those complete 2-6 weeks ago, has anyone heard anything yet?

I was verified July 6 and I still haven't gotten a secondary! Anyone else?

I was verified July 6 and I still haven't gotten a secondary! Anyone else?
Same here -- I got the "we received your application and are reviewing it before sending you a secondary" email on June 30th and still no word from them.

Is UCSD receptive to in the area e-mails?

Hi all,
I was verified mid-August and I haven't received a single email from UCSD (or UCSF for that matter), like not even a "we received your primary email". Is that unusual or am I just worrying too much?
I just feel like I heard back from UCI pretty fast.

Hi all,
I was verified mid-August and I haven't received a single email from UCSD (or UCSF for that matter), like not even a "we received your primary email". Is that unusual or am I just worrying too much?
I just feel like I heard back from UCI pretty fast.
I don't think it's unusual. I heard back from UCI fast, from UCSD medium (maybe two weeks), and have not heard bupkus from UCSF in more than a month.

Hang in there! Try to think about other things. Like, did you know ten days ago was San Francisco's hottest day in recorded history at 106F, and today was on the hot side too, yet driving home, my windshield was hit with - raindrops?!

Standing by for your fun distracting fact of the day. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Fun fact #2:

Kobe Bryant (LA Lakers) was named after the famous beef of Japan. Allegedly, his parents were inspired after seeing "Kobe" beef on a restaurant menu.

Source: Kobe Bryant - Wikipedia

(If that's the case, I'm naming my future child Filet Mignon. :))

I will name my child San Diego if I get accepted here.

Reactions: 11 users
Anyone know what the wait time is for secondaries? My AMCAS was verified on 8/28 but haven't heard yet. Also, I'm OOS.
P.S. Haven't even received an email saying they got my primary :(

Auto II just for having the Chandler's pic.
Is UCSD being slow this year or I am not very patient? Received secondaries from all UCs I have applied to except for this one. AMCAS Complete 8/22.

Is UCSD being slow this year or I am not very patient? Received secondaries from all UCs I have applied to except for this one. AMCAS Complete 8/22.
They might be slow. I've been complete for almost 8 weeks now and still have silence.

They might be slow. I've been complete for almost 8 weeks now and still have silence.

From what I've seen in past cycles, they send out secondaries rather quickly, but wait quite a while to send out interviews and interview holds. They send them out in batches. You could be complete for 5 weeks and someone else for 2 weeks, and both you you hear back at the same time.

Again, Just what I've noticed.

I would recommend that everyone in this situation call them! I called the admissions office after waiting a little over 8 weeks (I was verified early July). From the way the guy I spoke to sounded on the phone while he was looking at my file, I thought I was going to get a rejection email, but about an hour later they emailed me the secondary. I think there's some disorganization in the process, not just diabolical strategy to make their applicants go crazy.

I would recommend that everyone in this situation call them! I called the admissions office after waiting a little over 8 weeks (I was verified early July). From the way the guy I spoke to sounded on the phone while he was looking at my file, I thought I was going to get a rejection email, but about an hour later they emailed me the secondary. I think there's some disorganization in the process, not just diabolical strategy to make their applicants go crazy.

LOL influx of calls incoming

AMCAS verified 8/28, haven't heard anything yet... Any clue how long the wait is? Thanks!

AMCAS verified 8/28, haven't heard anything yet... Any clue how long the wait is? Thanks!
Lol, did you post on every UC school you applied to?

The short answer is that the wait can take as long as it likes, from almost immediately, a day or even several months. It's still early in the cycle and they're probably all processing applications like mad right now.

Lol, did you post on every UC school you applied to?

The short answer is that the wait can take as long as it likes, from almost immediately, a day or even several months. It's still early in the cycle and they're probably all processing applications like mad right now.

Haha yes. Im OOS and really wanting to move to CA! Thanks for the info. :)

complete early august and no status update - way to hold to "2-6 weeks" LOL

I'm in the same boat. Applied >6 weeks ago, no response yet.

I just got my II!!! My dream school:)

Reactions: 4 users
6 weeks they said LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOL

Reactions: 7 users