2017-2018 University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my acceptance, good luck to those on the WL!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Happy Easter everyone! Any idea on dress code for the dinner Friday night of second look? I know they said business casual for the day time events, would you say the dinner is slightly dressier or slightly more casual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Easter everyone! Any idea on dress code for the dinner Friday night of second look? I know they said business casual for the day time events, would you say the dinner is slightly dressier or slightly more casual?

I'd imagine it would be the same. Doubt very many people would bother to change clothes for the dinner.

Members don't see this ad :)
So they say to bring comfy shoes for the night.... I’m wearing heels during the day, but would flats be comfy enough or do they mean like... walking shoes. Is everything back to back until the mixer or will there be breaks to go back to where we’re staying?

I’m 100% sure I’m overthinking this but w/e

Yah I'm not planning on changing, just wearing a nice sweater and black pants and flats. Doesn't look like we get a break, but I'm just planning on wearing what I wore for footwear on interview day, which wasn't too painful. Looks like it's supposed to be colder though so a dress is defs out of the question for me.

So they say to bring comfy shoes for the night.... I’m wearing heels during the day, but would flats be comfy enough or do they mean like... walking shoes. Is everything back to back until the mixer or will there be breaks to go back to where we’re staying?

I’m 100% sure I’m overthinking this but w/e

No worries I’m the same way! I think flats would be fine, or your heels still if you’re comfy in those. I’m guessing we will be walking from the dinner location to the after party thing which is why they advise comfier shoes. I’m planning on wearing flats if that’s any help - I can’t walk in heels to save my life

Does anyone have data on the likelihood of an acceptance based on wait list tier?

Does anyone have data on the likelihood of an acceptance based on wait list tier?

I'm also wondering this. Just got put on the 2nd tier. It's probably difficult to tell since 2 years ago nobody got accepted and last year even 3rd tier got acceptances. Do they start from tier 1 and go down or do they pull from each tier as needed just with more from the 1st tier?

Varies every year. We went down into the middle tier last year (I think good ways into it as well). The year before that there was a lot less movement.

I'm also wondering this. Just got put on the 2nd tier. It's probably difficult to tell since 2 years ago nobody got accepted and last year even 3rd tier got acceptances. Do they start from tier 1 and go down or do they pull from each tier as needed just with more from the 1st tier?
Me too, it seems weird because last year’s thread shows one person accepted from tier 2 and a few days later from tier 3.

Does anyone know where accepted students can find a student ID number? I don't remember ever seeing one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know where accepted students can find a student ID number? I don't remember ever seeing one.
There was an instruction somewhere in there that said to use your AMCAS ID.

So, if I'm not completely decided on Cincinnati, is it worth it to spend the $150 to create the castlebranch account? Which items are due early May and do you think it would be possible to get them completed in time if I end up making a final decision close to traffic day?

So, if I'm not completely decided on Cincinnati, is it worth it to spend the $150 to create the castlebranch account? Which items are due early May and do you think it would be possible to get them completed in time if I end up making a final decision close to traffic day?

Have you gotten the Castebranch e-mail yet? I thought they were supposed to go out last week but I haven't gotten anything

Edit: JK IT WAS IN MY JUNK FOLDER

I would definitely wait and potentially save yourself from wasting $150. The earliest things were due May 4th and they were mostly just verifying you read some things online.

Are any of ya'll ordering equipment through AMSA? Is it worth it to get more than just the stethoscope and penlight through them?

I would definitely wait and potentially save yourself from wasting $150. The earliest things were due May 4th and they were mostly just verifying you read some things online.

Perfect thank you!

Also, so is our M#/student ID number just letters? Cuz I followed the link in the CastleBranch to figure it out and it's just the letters I use for my MedOneStop and I'm super overthinking it

For current students: For clinical grades with honors, high pass, pass.... How are those assigned? Is it that everyone who gets over a 95% gets honors (so theoretically a ton of people can get honors) or is it that the top 5% of students get honors (limiting the number of honors given)?

I have a question for any current med students...how much study material is shared from upper classman to underclassman?
We have a file share that includes study materials passed down from previous classes. We also have a class Facebook group, in which students share their Anki decks and miscellaneous helpful resources. Overall my experience has been that UCCOM is a very collaborative place. It's also very easy to get connected with an upperclassman tutor.

Also, so is our M#/student ID number just letters?
No, M# is MXXXXXXXX where the X's are numbers. Your 6+2 (all letters) is what you use to log into MedOneStop/email/LCMS+.

For current students: For clinical grades with honors, high pass, pass.... How are those assigned? Is it that everyone who gets over a 95% gets honors (so theoretically a ton of people can get honors) or is it that the top 5% of students get honors (limiting the number of honors given)?

I would like to know this too. Are clinical grades like curved?

I would like to know this too. Are clinical grades like curved?

H/HP/P/F can be given to anyone, depending on their performance in a particular rotation. It's not like there's a cap on how many people can pass.

Shelf exams are graded and will factor into your quartile ranking.

Hey current students, would a 10.5” iPad fit in the white coat pockets?

Hey current students, would a 10.5” iPad fit in the white coat pockets?
I just checked with my 9.5" iPad, and it fits. TBH most students just use a pad of paper.

Has anyone heard of any movement off the waitlist this year?

Just withdrew as well, best of luck to everyone!

This morning I got pulled off of a waitlist and now I'm looking at a decision Cinci and another school. The two schools are comparable in so many ways (close average step 1 scores, similar tuition, many research opportunities), but I really didn't feel like I clicked anywhere at UC's second look.

What I would like to know is: what do you love about UC? I don't think I'm in love, but lots of people are and it feels like maybe I'm overlooking something really important. Right now I'm wondering if a lot of people are drawn by the peds opportunities, because UC plays that up a lot, but I am super not interested (low-key can't stand kids)

Tbh I didn't really enjoy myself at all the second look day. I just got exhausted by all the mingling and the crowds. I did, however, feel like I resonated with UC during my interview day.
Thanks for your insight!

I should have kept an interview journal and written down all my thoughts immediately post-interview, but I did not. Cinci was my first interview, back in October, and I can't figure out if I was not jiving with Cinci because I don't fit (in my opinion) or because it was the first one and I had no experience to compare it to.

Whether or not you want to enter peds shouldn't really matter that much. I believe like 90% of their last match day didn't go directly into peds...although you may have to check that statistic..
That's pretty accurate - only 11.9% of the M4s went into Peds this year according to our match statistics. Having Cincinnati Children's next door is amazing if you're interested in Peds as a specialty, but we also have UCMC for everything else ;)

What I would like to know is: what do you love about UC?
I love that UCCOM really wants their students to succeed. The faculty care about student well-being, and the students in my class are very collaborative! I agree with @Klondike the Polar Bear that Second Look can be really overwhelming, especially for someone who doesn't like crowds that much.

Reactions: 1 users
That's pretty accurate - only 11.9% of the M4s went into Peds this year according to our match statistics. Having Cincinnati Children's next door is amazing if you're interested in Peds as a specialty, but we also have UCMC for everything else ;)

I love that UCCOM really wants their students to succeed. The faculty care about student well-being, and the students in my class are very collaborative!
I must have just coincidentally run into all the people who were super-interested in peds, haha :)

Thanks for your insight as well, I appreciate it!

Has anyone inquired about waitlist movement?

Are any of ya'll ordering equipment through AMSA? Is it worth it to get more than just the stethoscope and penlight through them?

I just ordered my stethoscope from allheart after talking to the nurses I work with. Got mine personalized and everything from sub 100 with shipping. Also, their selection is amazing!!

Has anyone inquired about waitlist movement?

Bump. Has anyone heard anything yet? Seems there was a lot of movement in early May reported on here last year, but haven't heard anything yet this year.

Declined my acceptance to attend elsewhere. Good luck to those of you still waiting/hoping to hear!

Would love to know the answer to this as well
I don't believe they have started waitlist movement for some reason. I haven't heard from any site and I know that they actually stopped their interview season about 3 months early because they really liked the waitlist and wanted to pull from it.

I don't believe they have started waitlist movement for some reason. I haven't heard from any site and I know that they actually stopped their interview season about 3 months early because they really liked the waitlist and wanted to pull from it.

Not sure about the liking the waitlist thing, but to my knowledge they stopped the interview season early because the applicants who interviewed earlier in the cycle were very strong and the class was full. They only cancelled one date though, so it ended a few weeks ahead of schedule, but not three months.

I reached out to their adcom last week and they said they haven't had much movement yet, but they expect some in the next few weeks. I'm on the first tier, and still have not heard anything yet.

Reactions: 3 users
FYI i spoke with admissions today after my acceptance and i know of at least 2 other students that have been taken from the waitlist so it is moving. Keep hope!

FYI i spoke with admissions today after my acceptance and i know of at least 2 other students that have been taken from the waitlist so it is moving. Keep hope!

How did you hear that you were accepted? Was it an email or a phone call? Thanks and congrats!

For anyone deciding on UC vs another place or anyone who wants advice or info in general, feel free to message me. I'm a m1, soon to be m2 here!

Recently accepted off the 2nd tier waitlist! Was not expecting multiple 2nd tier accepts this cycle. Anybody have any input on how long it would take to get a Kentucky residency? (From MI) Or do I have to go the Ohio resident route after 1 year?