2017-2018 University of Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone give some insight into the MMI process? I don't know much about it. Any tips about how to approach the questions / tackle the interview in general? Thanks everyone :)

MMIs are a lot less stressful than most people think. A question will be posted on the door, and you'll have 2 minutes to think through your answer before they tell you to enter the room. You'll have ~8 minutes to talk (changes from year to year, I think).

Most of the questions relate to your life experiences, rather than ethical situations. Of the 2-3 ethical scenarios, most are usually acting stations, and they're not that hard. Just go with the flow, even if the actor seems to be taking things in a different direction than what the question on the door was. I would not recommend preparing for ethical situations (or for MMIs in general, for that matter). If you're a moral, decent human being, you'll be fine.

The best thing you can do is talk through your thought process. Arriving at a correct answer isn't that important, it just matters that you can justify whatever answer you give.

Do not talk for 8 minutes straight. MMIs are meant to be a conversation between you and the interviewer, not a speech. The interviewer will have follow-up questions, so don't worry about running out of things to say.

Before you go in, they'll walk you through exactly what to expect!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Most of the questions relate to your life experiences, rather than ethical situations. Of the 2-3 ethical scenarios, most are usually acting stations, and they're not that hard.

Acting stations?!?!??!?!?!?!???!?! Dx

Acting stations?!?!??!?!?!?!???!?! Dx

To be clear, it's really the interviewer who is acting, not the interviewee haha. The acting stations were actually my favorite. And I'm super shy, introverted, and a horrible interviewer! I also cried during one of the stations, and still managed to get accepted here. Seriously, don't stress too much haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To be clear, it's really the interviewer who is acting, not the interviewee haha. The acting stations were actually my favorite. And I'm super shy, introverted, and a horrible interviewer! I also cried during one of the stations, and still managed to get accepted here. Seriously, don't stress too much haha.
Can you elaborate on the story of you crying? I am also extremely shy :(

Can you elaborate on the story of you crying? I am also extremely shy :(

Haha yeah, it was so embarrassing, I was sure I'd be rejected for it. I won't get too specific because they often re-use MMI prompts, but there was a station that dealt with illness/death. I rocked that station, but after I left the room the adrenaline kind of wore off and I started to think about my best friend's dad who had passed away recently, and I think I was just so, like, emotionally vulnerable at the moment that I just started crying. Like actual tears rolling down my face crying. I couldn't stop before the next station started, and the interviewer at that station was extremely confused about why I was crying at a station that should not have been that emotional. She was so nice about it though, and luckily it was my last station. Plus they eliminate your worst station so that really helped me.

Edit: WAIT. Re-living this experience got me thinking about that nice interviewer, and I just realized that I think I might actually know who she is, I see her every day! If she is who I think she is...omg. I am even more embarrassed now, I hope she doesn't remember that incident.

Reactions: 1 users
MMIs are a lot less stressful than most people think. A question will be posted on the door, and you'll have 2 minutes to think through your answer before they tell you to enter the room. You'll have ~8 minutes to talk (changes from year to year, I think).

Most of the questions relate to your life experiences, rather than ethical situations. Of the 2-3 ethical scenarios, most are usually acting stations, and they're not that hard. Just go with the flow, even if the actor seems to be taking things in a different direction than what the question on the door was. I would not recommend preparing for ethical situations (or for MMIs in general, for that matter). If you're a moral, decent human being, you'll be fine.

The best thing you can do is talk through your thought process. Arriving at a correct answer isn't that important, it just matters that you can justify whatever answer you give.

Do not talk for 8 minutes straight. MMIs are meant to be a conversation between you and the interviewer, not a speech. The interviewer will have follow-up questions, so don't worry about running out of things to say.

Before you go in, they'll walk you through exactly what to expect!
Thank you so much for the great advice and information :)

Hi Everyone!

I'm sorry for the spammy post in all the school specific threads :( - but I wanted to plug my interview invite tracker! If you haven't seen it, I'm compiling data on the current application cycle to reproduce planeblue's exercise (Planeblue's Interview Invite Tracker)

and get some info on GPA/MCAT, IS/OOS, and URM/ORM for those receiving invites. Maybe we can use it to help future applicants build better school lists!

If you'd like to add info on your interview invite to Cincy and any others and haven't already, fill out the Google Form here - 2017/18 MD Interview Invite Tracker

If you have already - a tremendous thanks to you!

Also, for those who haven't received an II yet - hang in there! It is still incredibly early and there are plenty more invites coming our way!

Haha yeah, it was so embarrassing, I was sure I'd be rejected for it. I won't get too specific because they often re-use MMI prompts, but there was a station that dealt with illness/death. I rocked that station, but after I left the room the adrenaline kind of wore off and I started to think about my best friend's dad who had passed away recently, and I think I was just so, like, emotionally vulnerable at the moment that I just started crying. Like actual tears rolling down my face crying. I couldn't stop before the next station started, and the interviewer at that station was extremely confused about why I was crying at a station that should not have been that emotional. She was so nice about it though, and luckily it was my last station. Plus they eliminate your worst station so that really helped me.

Edit: WAIT. Re-living this experience got me thinking about that nice interviewer, and I just realized that I think I might actually know who she is, I see her every day! If she is who I think she is...omg. I am even more embarrassed now, I hope she doesn't remember that incident.
Thanks! That's good to know. Its so hard to not really be able to prepare at all, I just feel like I would go blank and have nothing to say!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! That's good to know. Its so hard to not really be able to prepare at all, I just feel like I would go blank and have nothing to say!

It happens haha. That's why the interviewers get follow up questions. I've really only had one or two interviews where I felt like both the interviewee and I ran out of things to say (which was extremely awkward lol, I was just as happy to hear the "end station" announcement as the interviewee probably was").

It happens haha. That's why the interviewers get follow up questions. I've really only had one or two interviews where I felt like both the interviewee and I ran out of things to say (which was extremely awkward lol, I was just as happy to hear the "end station" announcement as the interviewee probably was").

I'm pretty sure that's gonna happen to me LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
II a few hours ago! OOS. Complete around 7/15-7/17.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
II this morning! OOS. No ties or whatsoever. Complete 7/25 (? Not quite sure)

Reactions: 6 users
Just now got an II via email!! IS, LizzyM = 74 Complete 7/28 (this is my first one and I am so excited)

Reactions: 6 users
Any idea roughly what the post-interview acceptance rate would be for in state here?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any idea roughly what the post-interview acceptance rate would be for in state here?

I don't remember the actual number but I believe it's a fairly decent acceptance rate (although iirc it's higher for OOS interviewees). On my interview day they told us the post-interview acceptance rates so I'd imagine they still do that.

I don't remember the actual number but I believe it's a fairly decent acceptance rate (although iirc it's higher for OOS interviewees). On my interview day they told us the post-interview acceptance rates so I'd imagine they still do that.

I'm confused. Why would it be higher for OOS?

I'm confused. Why would it be higher for OOS?

Probably because they don't invite many OOS for interview, so the ones they do they know they will accept

Exactly. The interview rate for OOS students is much lower because they're very selective with which OOS students they invite to interview.
This might be changing because I was told that the current M1 class is like 40% OOS!

Probably because they don't invite many OOS for interview, so the ones they do they know they will accept

According to USNWR data.....

OOS: 58% interview acceptance rate
IS: 67% interview acceptance rate

According to USNWR data.....

OOS: 58% interview acceptance rate
IS: 67% interview acceptance rate

Interesting, I was 99.99% sure they told us at my interview that OOS had a higher post-interview acceptance. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe it's changed!

PSA: if you're having trouble accessing your MedOneStop account, it's because this morning, someone drove their car into the server box that powers all of UC's website. So every.single.website has been down since 10AM. :bang:

Reactions: 4 users
PSA: if you're having trouble accessing your MedOneStop account, it's because this morning, someone drove their car into the server box that powers all of UC's website. So every.single.website has been down since 10AM. :bang:

What?? Where is the sever located? I work at Children's across the street, I didn't see that. Just saw lots of people outside for the eclipse lol

What?? Where is the sever located? I work at Children's across the street, I didn't see that. Just saw lots of people outside for the eclipse lol

I'm not sure, I would guess it's probably closer to the undergrad campus since it seems to be affecting every UC website and not just UCCoM. Seems like a weird security flaw that one box controls UC's entire internet presence! LOL.

Hey everyone, rising M2 here. Feel free to ask me any questions you have! Tag me here or PM me.

Do you remember when you got accepted? I got my II yesterday and am hoping that I don't have to wait too long to hear back since this is one of my top schools.

Do you remember when you got accepted? I got my II yesterday and am hoping that I don't have to wait too long to hear back since this is one of my top schools.

I interviewed in like late September I think, and was accepted about a week after the earliest possible date to be accepted (which is October 15th maybe).

Congrats on getting an interview! ^^ When were you complete?

I completed my secondary on 7/12 but letters of Rec weren't in until 8/2

Hoping the first interviewers today had a good experience!

I interviewed yesterday and really loved the school! They have a great atmosphere and treat their students really well it seems. There's also a ton of different study spaces which I love. I was soooo insanely nervous for the MMI that I think I may have ruined a few stations by having like a mini panic attack but I'm just praying they know people will be nervous. I cant believe we have to wait until Oct 16th to hear anything...:scared:

I interviewed yesterday and really loved the school! They have a great atmosphere and treat their students really well it seems. There's also a ton of different study spaces which I love. I was soooo insanely nervous for the MMI that I think I may have ruined a few stations by having like a mini panic attack but I'm just praying they know people will be nervous. I cant believe we have to wait until Oct 16th to hear anything...:scared:

Glad you liked it! And if it makes you feel better, they drop your lowest MMI score!

Hoping the first interviewers today had a good experience!

I ended up LOVING the school more than I thought I would because I really didn't know much about it... just applied to every in-state school. IMO the MMI was rough bc I have no idea how to judge how I did, but I would go here in a heartbeat if I got in both bc I liked it that much and because of the sweet, sweet in-state tuition LOL

What are your thoughts on a follow-up e-mail?

Oct 16th at the earliest but probably at least a week longer ~~kill me~~

I really ended up loving the school too, I think it'd be a great fit. But I also know I bombed at least one MMI station..... if there's a negative score I think I got it on the acting one. OH WELL. Hope my other ones were at least satisfactory lmao :(

II today! Complete 7/28, LizzyM 69. In-state and in-city applicant <3

Reactions: 7 users
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what the point of the post interview question about MCAT studying is about? Like do we think it factors into admissions or more just for their own data collection purpose? The other questions make sense to me because they are issues they would ask in a traditional interview but they don't have space for because it's MMI... I hope they give you some time to confirm the II because answering these questions is going to take me awhile...so excited though! Just want to take my time with good answers!

They are part of the post-interview decision

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what the point of the post interview question about MCAT studying is about? Like do we think it factors into admissions or more just for their own data collection purpose? The other questions make sense to me because they are issues they would ask in a traditional interview but they don't have space for because it's MMI... I hope they give you some time to confirm the II because answering these questions is going to take me awhile...so excited though! Just want to take my time with good answers!

Don't worry too much about the MCAT question. I think in theory it's supposed to separate the people who got a good score by self-studying and the people who got a good score by taking the $10,000 summer MCAT class that Kaplan offers...but tbh I doubt they take that question into serious consideration.

Last edited:
They are part of the post-interview decision

Don't worry too much about the MCAT question. I think in theory it's supposed to separate the people who got a good score by self-studying and the people who got a good score by taking the $10,000 summer MCAT class that Kaplan offers...but tbh I doubt they take that question into serious consideration.

I'm fairly certain the survey is not part of the admissions process....they were very clear with the group of 30 there last week that they would be deciding admissions status the very next day after the interview, and in fact were also making it clear that anything else that needed to be on the table for decisions needed to be out there (so to speak) on the day of the interview...i.e., sending additional stuff (or survey results) 3 days later would not at all serve the student's interest.

I'm fairly certain the survey is not part of the admissions process....they were very clear with the group of 30 there last week that they would be deciding admissions status the very next day after the interview, and in fact were also making it clear that anything else that needed to be on the table for decisions needed to be out there (so to speak) on the day of the interview...i.e., sending additional stuff (or survey results) 3 days later would not at all serve the student's interest.

Oh I worded this incorrectly the 'survey' was just the post interview invite but preinterview questions so they would be factored in to admissions I believe.

Interesting they said that, because I know for a fact that it's incorrect. The first admissions committee meeting is this Monday! So decisions will be made on the 8/31 group then.

Interesting they said that, because I know for a fact that it's incorrect. The first admissions committee meeting is this Monday! So decisions will be made on the 8/31 group then.
Put in a good word for all your fellow SDNers

II this morning as well! Submitted 7/23

Reactions: 5 users

and then we wait until Otober :')

UGUGUGUUGHHHHHHHHHHH

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I agree, I interviewed last week and they said any updates given 3-7 days after interview would be included in the applicants file in time to be part of the decision. So definitely not decided the day after the interview.