2017-2018 University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m debating whether or not it's time to un-watch this thread; I am super excited about my other offers, but can’t deny the fact that I’m still holding my breath for my alma mater… Good luck to everyone left waiting and congratulations to those who have been accepted!
Congrats on your other offers! Sorry no II yet :(

Would Michigan be your top choice? Could you share a bit of what you love about Michigan Med? I have an offer but OOS from so far away and don't know Michigan all that well, except what I have been able to glean from their marketing materials and my interview day. I like it! But so many seem deeeeeeply passionate about this program and I'd love to learn more why!

Do you think it's the Go Blue school pride thing (which is incredibly off-putting to me, someone who didn't go to Michigan) or is it something specific to this medical program?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your other offers! Sorry no II yet :(

Would Michigan be your top choice? Could you share a bit of what you love about Michigan Med? I have an offer but OOS from so far away and don't know Michigan all that well, except what I have been able to glean from their marketing materials and my interview day. I like it! But so many seem deeeeeeply passionate about this program and I'd love to learn more why!

Do you think it's the Go Blue school pride thing (which is incredibly off-putting to me, someone who didn't go to Michigan) or is it something specific to this medical program?
I didn’t go into this process with a top choice because I know how the admissions process goes lol, but I do have a handful of schools that I would choose over all other places that I applied and Michigan is one of those.

My reasons are largely personal. I essentially grew up in UM’s hospital due to terminal illnesses in my family that occurred early in my life. Those experiences are what made me want to go into medicine and it would be surreal to train in the place that so drastically altered the trajectory of my life. Also, I grew up in Metro Detroit, went to Michigan for my bachelor’s degree, and do research there now. I think Ann Arbor is a great place to live for many reasons - compact and charming, liberal and progressive, great nightlife, great opportunities for outdoor activities, access to the theater and sports culture of Detroit, close to family, etc.

With regards to the program, I can’t really speak to Michigan Med as I am not a student there haha, but Michigan as a whole has a commitment to excellence and innovation that draws me in. You can pretty much find opportunities to explore whatever you’re interested in. All of my professors and PIs have been brilliant, passionate, and committed to educating. The environment as a pre-med was competitive while still being friendly and collaborative, which I found to be unique. It is a great place to be a student! Also, the health system is very committed to patient satisfaction, which I like.

As for the Go Blue school pride, I agree it can be a con. However, on average, it is not as prominent as the marketing makes it seem, except of course on Game Days :)

Good luck to you!

Reactions: 6 users
I didn’t go into this process with a top choice because I know how the admissions process goes lol, but I do have a handful of schools that I would choose over all other places that I applied and Michigan is one of those.

My reasons are largely personal. I essentially grew up in UM’s hospital due to terminal illnesses in my family that occurred early in my life. Those experiences are what made me want to go into medicine and it would be surreal to train in the place that so drastically altered the trajectory of my life. Also, I grew up in Metro Detroit, went to Michigan for my bachelor’s degree, and do research there now. I think Ann Arbor is a great place to live for many reasons - compact and charming, liberal and progressive, great nightlife, great opportunities for outdoor activities, access to the theater and sports culture of Detroit, close to family, etc.

With regards to the program, I can’t really speak to Michigan Med as I am not a student there haha, but Michigan as a whole has a commitment to excellence and innovation that draws me in. You can pretty much find opportunities to explore whatever you’re interested in. All of my professors and PIs have been brilliant, passionate, and committed to educating. The environment as a pre-med was competitive while still being friendly and collaborative, which I found to be unique. It is a great place to be a student! Also, the health system is very committed to patient satisfaction, which I like.

As for the Go Blue school pride, I agree it can be a con. However, on average, it is not as prominent as the marketing makes it seem, except of course on Game Days :)

Good luck to you!

Thank you for sharing these wonderful thoughts! Crossing my fingers for you for the best outcome of this application cycle.

From a distance it's hard for me to differentiate what is my perception of genuine excellence vs genuine excellence being marketed to me. This helps :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for sharing these wonderful thoughts! Crossing my fingers for you for the best outcome of this application cycle.

From a distance it's hard for me to differentiate what is my perception of genuine excellence vs genuine excellence being marketed to me. This helps :)
Is it weird that just after visiting the school it felt like home? I think one should have that feeling in order to choose where to go. UMich definitely exudes that all over.

Reactions: 3 users
One more interview given and only two interview days left as per their Twitter.

Reactions: 1 users
Why haven't they just rejected me already??? Silence since complete 9/6.

Why haven't they just rejected me already??? Silence since complete 9/6.

They did a wave of rejections last month. Is that normal? I assume it was only a few people so there are many who haven’t been rejected yet. Next Monday is their last day to send invites from what I’ve heard

They did a wave of rejections last month. Is that normal? I assume it was only a few people so there are many who haven’t been rejected yet. Next Monday is their last day to send invites from what I’ve heard
Makes sense. Their last interview date is 2/2.

Hey guys for the folks that interviewed Dec.1 any idea when should we hear back? Is it usually a few days before the date they announce at the interview?

Hey guys for the folks that interviewed Dec.1 any idea when should we hear back? Is it usually a few days before the date they announce at the interview?
I think you know you have the answer to your own question.

"Any idea when we should hear back" next to a sentence containing, "the date they announce[d] at the interview".

Relax, friend :) They'll tell you right around when they said they were going to. Maybe a bit early as a fun surprise.

Hey, does anyone who interviewed early December remember when the decisions for us are going to be made and released? I remember Director Teener mentioning the dates but forgot what they are :(

Hey, does anyone who interviewed early December remember when the decisions for us are going to be made and released? I remember Director Teener mentioning the dates but forgot what they are :(
Jan. 15. They often release a day early, but not sure if that'll happen because the 14th is a Sunday

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted earlier this week! Interviewed earlier this month! Go Blueeee!
I thought that they didn't release decisions until around the 15th of the month following your interview. Are you just special.?

I just woke up to an acceptance phone call! Almost didn't answer it lol. This is my number 1 so exciteddddd GO BLUE!!

Reactions: 10 users
Congrats to all those accepted! I had one question- does UMich take ITA?

If you are a U of M student, you get your acceptance in person I think. That happened to my friend a couple years ago

So I have a question. On their website, it says that we should hear back from them by the 20th of the month following our interview. Where did we get the 15th from?

So I have a question. On their website, it says that we should hear back from them by the 20th of the month following our interview. Where did we get the 15th from?

It says the 20th but most of the acceptances have been going out on the 15th as a surprise of sorts. At latest, you would hear back on the 20th.

Admitted students got an email last week saying that they would be admitting a new group of students on Monday! :eek: Good luck y'all :)

And they told us confidently on interview day that the 15th would be the day!

OMG ACCEPTED!!!!! Absolutely loved the school and I'm so beyond grateful!

Reactions: 8 users
Nvm everyone, ACCEPTED today! Absolutely fell in love with this school. And what a way to extend the invite, via video :happy:

@tomatocarrot I was deferred last month, but after speaking to some admissions staff it seems like it's just a prelude to a waitlist that doesn't have any movement :( sorry to hear, I feel your pain

They said there's a very slight chance of being accepted - it's not impossible, but it really isn't likely

Accepted as well :) they really have their hype/showmanship game down!

Reactions: 2 users
6 II sent out today, seems like a change of pace from the 2-3 they have been doing. Unfortunately, I'm not among them this time. Perhaps next.....

Finally rejected! IS, complete like the first day possible. Just added a LOR from a UMich MD too but oh well. Officially RIP to in-state tuition dreams.

Rejected.

Incidentally, blue is no longer my favorite color for some reason.

Reactions: 7 users
In state complete in July and still no rejection... Anyone else?