2017-2018 University of Oklahoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What would you say is a minimum to get an interview for both MCAT and GPA (or either if you happen to know)

Well they have stated minimums to even be considered, but those are really low. I don't think anyone knows what the threshold for the competency score is, but the lowest I've heard for IS that got an interview is 3.4/508. It could be even lower than this, but if you're at least there then you should get an interview.

The minimum as stated on their website and brochure is 3.0/492. They also stated that this is NOT competitive for an interview. No one knows the minimum score for an interview (for both IS and OOS applicants), and probably no one ever will (excluding the adcoms, of course).

3.4/508 is way too high for IS. OU's average MCAT last year was a 508, and that's with all the crazy high OOS stats pulling it up. The average GPA was around a 3.7, but also keep in mind that that's an "average," so 50% of the class had lower GPA's, and also it's only weighted at 30% of your "score" as compared to your MCAT which is 70%.

Every year, there are about 500 IS applicants that apply. >75% of the matriculating class has to be IS. It often runs closer to 90%. If this proportion is applied to how they extend interviews, then at least 375 applicants are interviewed. That's pretty damn high.

So pretty much, if you have okay stats that are greater than the 10th percentile of the class and you're IS, there is a very high possibility you will be interviewed. This is a state school after all, and it does look after its residents.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Combination. Both are considered after the interview to grant acceptances. Interviews are scored too based on the 7 AAMC Core Competencies. They ask a question addressing each of the competencies.

Can you elaborate a little more on the questions and competencies? I've never heard of those before.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can you elaborate a little more on the questions and competencies? I've never heard of those before.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Google "AAMC Core Competencies". A PDF or page should show up that addresses the seven competencies the AAMC wants in med students. OU structures their questions so that each questions addresses one of those competencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Google "AAMC Core Competencies". A PDF or page should show up that addresses the seven competencies the AAMC wants in med students. OU structures their questions so that each questions addresses one of those competencies.
I'm seeing 15 split up into 4 categories?

Reactions: 1 user
With the MCAT/GPA formula, does anyone know if there is a cap to this? (for OOS) Like yield protection?

Has anyone received an II here for this cycle? Thanks in advance, and good luck everyone!

Has anyone received an II here for this cycle? Thanks in advance, and good luck everyone!

The interview cycle for OU starts in October at the earliest. My guess is that the earliest invites are sent out sometime in September.

The interview cycle for OU starts in October at the earliest. My guess is that the earliest invites are sent out sometime in September.

Yeah in my experience the first batch of invites comes out anywhere from last week of September to first week of October

Do interviews take place every month until February or is it specific months?

OU's average MCAT last year was a 508, and that's with all the crazy high OOS stats pulling it up...Every year, there are about 500 IS applicants that apply. >75% of the matriculating class has to be IS. It often runs closer to 90%. If this proportion is applied to how they extend interviews, then at least 375 applicants are interviewed.
Pretty close in your stats, but it looks like this incoming class crushed the MCAT.
OU 2018 incoming class.JPG

https://hippocrates.ouhsc.edu/comweb/pdf/Class of 2021 Profile.pdf

The 2016 entering class (c/o 2020) was 92% in-state. If the class of 2021 was 90% in-state, a fair expectation, then that would mean that 36% of in-state applicants matriculate to OU Med.
By comparison, the class of 2020 had more in-state applicants (442) but the pool of in-state applicants still matriculated at a similar rate of 34%. So those are not bad odds at all for in-state applicants.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That 510 average feels like an elephant sitting on my chest.

Pretty close in your stats, but it looks like this incoming class crushed the MCAT.
View attachment 222928

https://hippocrates.ouhsc.edu/comweb/pdf/Class of 2021 Profile.pdf

The 2017 entering class (c/o 2020) was 92% in-state. If the class of 2021 was 90% in-state, a fair expectation, then that would mean that 36% of in-state applicants matriculate to OU Med.
By comparison, the class of 2020 had more in-state applicants (442) but the pool of in-state applicants still matriculated at a similar rate of 34%. So those are not bad odds at all for in-state applicants.

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad I was at least somewhat close with my estimates lol. That 510 is really surprising. That's quite a jump from last year's class.

I wish they posted separate stats for IS vs. OOS. These averages can easily be skewed with a few 520+ OOS'ers.

I hear you! Especially when you consider that there was only 10% of the class with "crazy high OOS stats pulling it up" like the one person wrote. Here is one weighted calculation showing the difference. There just isn't much room for the average in-state MCAT to go down and still achieve an average of 510. AVG = 0.1(OOS)*X + 0.9(IS)*X

OOS IS AVG.
522 508 509.4
523 509 510.4

Having said that, the data from my post above states that 510 is the median. So we don't actually know the average. Historically, it has been 507-508, and I couldn't rule that out with this information.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I'm glad I was at least somewhat close with my estimates lol. That 510 is really surprising. That's quite a jump from last year's class.

I wish they posted separate stats for IS vs. OOS. These averages can easily be skewed with a few 520+ OOS'ers.
Point, with only 10% OOS, they can't skew it that much. Therefore the average in-state has got to be pretty close to 510 (if that is indeed the average; we only know it is the median). Run a few scenarios in Excel and see for yourself. That 10% isn't very strong trying to move the 90%.

Would anyone mind reading my secondaries for OU-COM? I feel like I was a bit cheesy in mine and wanted another opinion. (I have it written out on Google docs, but I dunno if you guys would prefer me putting it on a word file and pming you so I don't have to reveal my name haha?)

Anyone else stuck waiting for AMCAS to catch up verifying? My primary was ready for review on 8-22, and as of today 8-31 they have only made it to the ones ready on 8-16! ugh
Edit: they caught up fast! Verified 9-5-17.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Current MS1 here (IS). Looks like there's been a lot of speculation about what a "competitive MCAT/GPA" is. 508 was the average MCAT score they told us at orientation for our class. Average GPA was around 3.8 (can't remember exactly). I made a 505 and have a 3.9 GPA. Hopefully this gives some of you some hope with MCAT scores below the average. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask! Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Weird how they posted that file with 510 median MCAT. @Dogmom93 do you have any info/experience with the financial aid offered at OU? I heard they do give out some scholarships, some partial and some full rides, in addition to some smaller ones, based off merit.

Weird how they posted that file with 510 median MCAT. @Dogmom93 do you have any info/experience with the financial aid offered at OU? I heard they do give out some scholarships, some partial and some full rides, in addition to some smaller ones, based off merit.

They do give out what seems to be a decent number of scholarships. I've never got one so I've never gone to the scholarship ceremony and can't say for sure how many people got them; I know a few really random people who have got one that made me feel like they must be handing them out like candy, but then I know several other people at the top of the class who have never got a penny the whole time so I can't say. Regardless, they do exist, and at least a few people get at least a few thousand bucks a year.

I received two scholarships from the college of medicine. One of them is the Sooner Heritage Scholarship that everyone can and should apply for once you fill out and submit your FAFSA (all you have to do is go to a website and click a button) the other is a tuition waiver. I think both of these are based off of need however. I have some undergrad debt still and am mostly reliant on financial aid now. I know some people in my class who don't have undergrad debt and/or do not have to take out any loans to pay for medical school and they didn't receive either of these scholarships.

Checking in, wondering if anyone has gotten an II or a rejection. How many LOR's did you guys do? I did four, a pre-health committee, another prof, an employer, and a shadow doc. I applied SCM only, did anyone else do that? Hate to limit my chances to 25 spots but can't really relocate, got a short person. Did a lot of you guys go to OU undergrad? I wonder if that helps a little.

Checking in, wondering if anyone has gotten an II or a rejection. How many LOR's did you guys do? I did four, a pre-health committee, another prof, an employer, and a shadow doc. I applied SCM only, did anyone else do that? Hate to limit my chances to 25 spots but can't really relocate, got a short person. Did a lot of you guys go to OU undergrad? I wonder if that helps a little.
It doesn't look like anybody has gotten one yet, at least on this thread. And I did 3, but did opposite – only applied to the program in Oklahoma City!

Does anyone know if OU is/has been receptive to "in the area" interview requests?

last year, seemed like last week or two in september, I got an email for an interview first week in october, they're probably looking at applications right now. LOR obviously need to meet the requirement, but then people add more, not sure if there's a max, I sent in 4 or 5, can't remember. I just realized what short person meant. From east coast and went to school there, live here now. Lot of kids probably went to OU, but schools only limitation is whatever quota they have for instate admissions, thought it was up around 90% must be in-state.

@rabbott1971 I believe the earliest II on last year's thread was Sep 22, so I would guess some will get a notice within 10 days. I did the minimum three, pre health committee + letter from professor. OU's pre-med committee only counts as two letters for some reason. I think the guideline is that if it's a strong letter, no harm in adding it.

@rafterman the law is max 25% OOS. They seem to give interviews to about 40ish, which is the around the max that can enroll. I would guess that anyone who interviews probably gets the offer, but that's just speculation.

So I went to an OU info sesh where they maybe accidentally gave us the average CS for matriculants. I remember the in state one, which was 22.xx. I think I might have found a close formula to OU's for deterring CS...

Method: GPA between 3.0-3.1 is 1 point, 3.1-3.2 is 2 points, and so on until 3.9+ gives a full 10 points. Subtract MCAT score from 492, and that is the points for the MCAT. With a median of 507 MCAT and 3.68ish GPA for in state matriculants, that makes a score of 22 [(507-492)+7 = 22]. The score gives the GPA a weight of 28.5% and the MCAT a weight of 71.5%. I based this off of North Dakota's scoring system as well as the minimum required to apply to OU (which is a 492 MCAT and 3.0 GPA).

What do you guys think?

So I went to an OU info sesh where they maybe accidentally gave us the average CS for matriculants. I remember the in state one, which was 22.xx. I think I might have found a close formula to OU's for deterring CS...

Method: GPA between 3.0-3.1 is 1 point, 3.1-3.2 is 2 points, and so on until 3.9+ gives a full 10 points. Subtract MCAT score from 492, and that is the points for the MCAT. With a median of 507 MCAT and 3.68ish GPA for in state matriculants, that makes a score of 22 [(507-492)+7 = 22]. The score gives the GPA a weight of 28.5% and the MCAT a weight of 71.5%. I based this off of North Dakota's scoring system as well as the minimum required to apply to OU (which is a 492 MCAT and 3.0 GPA).

What do you guys think?
Plausible, if they for sure only use numbers as an II metric. What does CS stand for?

went to OU undergrad and have spoken with adcoms, they said IIs were based solely on CS, derived from 70% MCAT and 30% sGPA

I went to a fair where some admissions office staff told us that.
I see. I'm still a little skeptical because I have known 2 girls with MCAT scores differing by only a single point and GPAs within .1 or .2 of each other, and one was invited for an interview while the other was not. It's very possible they were just barely on opposite sides of the cutoff though.

I see. I'm still a little skeptical because I have known 2 girls with MCAT scores differing by only a single point and GPAs within .1 or .2 of each other, and one was invited for an interview while the other was not. It's very possible they were just barely on opposite sides of the cutoff though.
Yeah, you'll always want to take "insights" into the admissions process with a grain of salt; I'm sure CS is an important aspect (maybe the one criterion) for II's, but things can change, and with a push for holism in admissions, there might be cases where someone who has a relatively good CS doesn't get an II because, say, they're devoid of any volunteering.

Yeah, you'll always want to take "insights" into the admissions process with a grain of salt; I'm sure CS is an important aspect (maybe the one criterion) for II's, but things can change, and with a push for holism in admissions, there might be cases where someone who has a relatively good CS doesn't get an II because, say, they're devoid of any volunteering.
I find this process much more realistic. Even if a CS is THE metric used for II, I am sure there are regular exceptions for IIs or rejections.

@joschar North Dakota's medical school uses their version of a CS for an x number of guaranteed in state interviews, but still holds another x amount of interviews at their own discretion, which could be a similar thing OU uses to grant interviews to people with less than stellar stats but great experiences, maybe relating to why one friend got the invite and other didn't.

@begoood95 I've heard of people getting into OU with no volunteering, but yeah they probably do review the people who have the proper CS before sending invites

I just thought it'd be fun to try it out during this interview season to see if it's accurate or not, would be really useful for future OU applicants

II today! In-state applicant. I'm seeing almost no dates available though, so I'm planning to check back tomorrow.

II today! In-state applicant. I'm seeing almost no dates available though, so I'm planning to check back tomorrow.

Stats? Are you in state or out of state? What was your completion date?

Stats? Are you in state or out of state? What was your completion date?
In state (although I don't attend undergrad in OK) MCAT:515 cGPA:3.5 sGPA:3.3. Complete 7/19. Sorry for not posting stats earlier, forgot that not everyone can see signatures! I ended up scheduling an interview for October 27.

Reactions: 2 users
II today, complete at end of july, IS, 514 mcat, my gpa is some amalgamation of my ug and grad gpa, maybe it's 3.2 - 3.3, I'm sure how they calculated it, but they combined them.

II today! IS 4.0/514. Complete 7/19. I found the email in my junk folder so let that be a reminder to continuously check that!

Congrats to you guys! What kind of dates are they offering so far?

Congrats to you guys! What kind of dates are they offering so far?
I can't see the dates anymore, but I could only see a handful of total dates, all before December and either on Fridays or Sundays.