2017-2018 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know approximately how many people are accepted off the waitlist each year?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know approximately how many people are accepted off the waitlist each year?

I think it has to be at least a third. The US News acceptance rate is ~57% and if USF truly only does accept the bare minimum (1x class size) than we can assume ~180 people are accepted initially. Total interviews is like 530 I think, so 57% of that is ~302 people. 302-180 would mean 120 people still would get accepted at some point based on that US News number. Idk how many people are on the WL tho but thats my math guess haha

A lot of factors can go into play in this so I have no idea thats just an educated guess but I could be completely off.

Someone pls tell me if i'm completely wrong I'm too tired right now haha. And for SELECT vs CORE I have no idea either

Edit: its actually 570 people not 530 :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it has to be at least a third. The US News acceptance rate is ~57% and if USF truly only does accept the bare minimum (1x class size) than we can assume ~180 people are accepted initially. Total interviews is like 530 I think, so 57% of that is ~302 people. 302-180 would mean 120 people still would get accepted at some point based on that US News number. Idk how many people are on the WL tho but thats my math guess haha

A lot of factors can go into play in this so I have no idea thats just an educated guess but I could be completely off.

Someone pls tell me if i'm completely wrong I'm too tired right now haha. And for SELECT vs CORE I have no idea either
haha your numbers seem reasonable. Honestly wish this process would be over already. It's so draining waiting on a waitlist response that may never even come

Lol So I definitely asked. I asked the day before during the student meet and greet and I also asked during my interview. I also discussed the fact that USF has the highest MCAT avg in the state and inquired about how much that weighed on my chances considering that my MCAT wasnt that close to the avg (a little below) and they assured me that they have a holistic review process.

I cant believe I had the guts to do that, but I just went for it lol
And in a five guys of all places!

Lol So I definitely asked. I asked the day before during the student meet and greet and I also asked during my interview. I also discussed the fact that USF has the highest MCAT avg in the state and inquired about how much that weighed on my chances considering that my MCAT wasnt that close to the avg (a little below) and they assured me that they have a holistic review process.

I cant believe I had the guts to do that, but I just went for it lol

H O L I S T H I C C

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys don't let the average MCAT score get you down. I only got a 509 and was accepted off of the waitlist about a week and a half ago so that makes me think it is a holistic review...
I will shortly be withdrawing my application though so good luck!

Hey guys don't let the average MCAT score get you down. I only got a 509 and was accepted off of the waitlist about a week and a half ago so that makes me think it is a holistic review...
Congrats! When did you interview?

Ohmergawd whyyysss

Congrats on being accepted, even if you made another choice :)

But, I'm not sure I would consider USF to be as "holistic" as some other schools. My acceptance definitely lends weight to the MCAT above all else theory, as I had high score and some what iffy extra curriculars.

On the other hand, I just want a school that can turn me into a competent and confident physician, so I don't really care as much about median MCATs.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like core waitlist is moving but idk about select!

Where are you going instead if you don’t mind my asking

Unfortunately, it feels like most of us on here are on the SELECT waitlist :unsure::shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Where are you going instead if you don’t mind my asking
I have decided to attend UCF mostly due to personal reasons. USF is a great option though and it was really hard to turn down especially since it was my undergraduate campus.

I have decided to attend UCF mostly due to personal reasons. USF is a great option though and it was really hard to turn down especially since it was my undergraduate campus.
Best of luck to you! Thanks for posting about your score and keeping our hopes up. I appreciate you.

If any one is at Second Look and reading this, could you do your SDN brethren a solid and ask when they anticipate completing fin aid packages?

If any one is at Second Look and reading this, could you do your SDN brethren a solid and ask when they anticipate completing fin aid packages?

They said they hope start giving need based aid in mid May.

They said they hope start giving need based aid in mid May.
Meaning they'll have the packages complete to be mailed out or the amounts will be posted on oasis? Or will the actual funds be out earlier than July 31

Meaning they'll have the packages complete to be mailed out or the amounts will be posted on oasis? Or will the actual funds be out earlier than July 31
Based on past calendars funds disperse first or second day of classes

I figured if you had a "position" at all on the list that meant it is ranked, why would they withhold the information if it wouldn't affect other applicants?

if i told you i can not perform heart surgery on you, does that imply i am not willing to do so? or that i am not a surgeon and i actually can not perform heart surgery

Lol interesting.....position doesn't necessarily mean ranked. Maybe it's a structured waitlist but they decide who to accept based on who drops out.
I wish they talked more about it on interview day.

Reactions: 1 user
you know what they say when you assume something. instead of speculating we're all better off being patient and doing fun things/planning course of action for a reapplication year. there is always room for improvement to become a more competitive applicant.