2017-2018 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So is the optional essay actually optional? or is it like the TMDSAS one where it's implied you have to do it...

Members don't see this ad :)
So is the optional essay actually optional? or is it like the TMDSAS one where it's implied you have to do it...

Ah, yes, this is something I'm wondering as well...

The way I always approach an "optional" essay is this: if I've got something to say that could impart some additional information or give me a modicum of a better chance of receiving an II, I answer the question. If not, then I skip it. That being said, I fill out most of those essays unless it truly does not apply to me.

The way I always approach an "optional" essay is this: if I've got something to say that could impart some additional information or give me a modicum of a better chance of receiving an II, I answer the question. If not, then I skip it. That being said, I fill out most of those essays unless it truly does not apply to me.
Yeah, for me it depends. If the application itself includes the diversity statement and has allowed me to say everything I wanted to say, I don't do any optional essays. I already feel like I've given most of the schools more information about me than anyone could possibly want to know.

while I"m not saying you are wrong I am somewhat skeptical considering MSAR says USC starts handing out interviews in August
Pretty sure they mean start giving interviews in August. At least they did last year. I know people who interviewed there in late August.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure they mean start giving interviews in August. At least they did last year. I know people who interviewed there in late August.
it says "interview invitations sent:"

MSAR says Georgetown is July 15th and I don't think they actually interviewed anyone on July 15th, that's when they send them out

while I"m not saying you are wrong I am somewhat skeptical considering MSAR says USC starts handing out interviews in August

The first II from last year's thread was mid-July and last year's cycle started a few weeks before ours, so I believe it.

The first II from last year's thread was mid-July and last year's cycle started a few weeks before ours, so I believe it.
they also sent secondaries out a week or two later this year, though

EDIT: oh nvm.. misunderstood your post

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When did those with a II submit your secondary?

Until I see more reported II's, I remain skeptical

Reactions: 4 users
On the secondary it asks "Are you a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine?"

Is there a strict category of applicants that are considered "under-represented"? Would being a first generation college graduate count or are they looking for race?

On the secondary it asks "Are you a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine?"

Is there a strict category of applicants that are considered "under-represented"? Would being a first generation college graduate count or are they looking for race?

I believe it says something more like, "do you believe you are a member of a group that is under-represented in medicine?"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

does Keck accept updates to activities?

I wish. They specifically are against it, as in it will definitely hurt you. You can add additional activities to the secondary additional info section but after the secondary is in it's best to keep shut.

Should i bother sending my secondary if i have a 512 MCAT? I would really like to go to this school but don't know if its possible

Should i bother sending my secondary if i have a 512 MCAT? I would really like to go to this school but don't know if its possible
a 512? that was their median matriculant last year.. so yes lol

Reactions: 2 users
-

Last edited:
II just now! Completed 7/22, LizzyM 71, IS

Reactions: 5 users
But that's also because he's a URM.

Something about your comment just throws me off.

Edit: @pramsotingz I should also congratulate you on a job well done so far. Someone's ignorant attempt to downplay your qualifications won't hold up against those 5 IIs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

Edit: @pramsotingz I should also congratulate you on a job well done so far. Someone's ignorant attempt to downplay your qualifications won't hold up against those 5 IIs.
This x10000000000.

Congrats to those with interviews! Keck is one of my top schools so I'm hoping for some love too haha :) Quick question, did you guys use the optional essay as a diversity or Why USC essay? Or just leave it blank?

for the record everyone, IS/OOS does not matter for USC (Keck) admissions

It looks like they've jumped around regarding dates of completion. Some people got an II today that were complete 7/11- 7/22, while others got an II last week that were complete 7/16. Just to give y'all and myself a bit of hope.
I was complete 7/19- hoping for good news soon

Thanks maedae! I wasn't expecting these many interviews this early to be honest and would hope they are due to the quality of my application and not just my URM status!

Agreed

Thanks maedae! I wasn't expecting these many interviews this early to be honest and would hope they are due to the quality of my application and not just my URM status!

The thanks goes to @Albanian24! Congratulations on all of your IIs so far!

Congrats! BTW- I love Stromae too.

Got to see him live in concert 2 years ago and had my world rocked. PSA: To whoever is reading this and doesn't know who Stromae is, please do yourself a favor and look up Stromae.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to those with interviews! Keck is one of my top schools so I'm hoping for some love too haha :) Quick question, did you guys use the optional essay as a diversity or Why USC essay? Or just leave it blank?
I left it blank. However, I felt like my personal statement covered a good amount of diversity and didn't think to write a blurb on "why USC." If you feel like there's something you need to say, I'd go for it!

Got to see him live in concert 2 years ago and had my world rocked. PSA: To whoever is reading this and doesn't know who Stromae is, please do yourself a favor and look up Stromae.
What a dream to see him play live!

I was just reading through the messages above regarding your impressive number of II. I hope you don't let other people's insecurities become your own. Highly recommend the book "black man in a white coat" if you haven't read it yet.

Good luck in this cycle- seems like you are gonna rock it!