2017-2018 Wake Forest University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everywhere on the website says to submit 2 individual letters, but does anyone know if you're allowed to submit more?
I called and asked them about this today. I sent all of my letters to them on AMCAS, but they told me I just needed to chose the 2 letters I consider to be the strongest.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary Submitted. :dead:

I called and asked them about this today. I sent all of my letters to them on AMCAS, but they told me I just needed to chose the 2 letters I consider to be the strongest.

Do we just email admissions and tell them which letters to read?

Members don't see this ad :)
How does it work if you have a committee letter packet?

Do we just email admissions and tell them which letters to read?
They said to just put the names and schools/organizations of your top two letter writers into the evaluations section of the secondary application.

They said to just put the names and schools/organizations of your top two letter writers into the evaluations section of the secondary application.

Do you know if they require all of the letters to be on official letterhead?

The creativity essay is an interesting one. Actually giving me a little trouble.

This might actually be the most difficult secondary essay I've had to write so far! I wonder how the adcom would react if I wrote about the creativity prompt for the challenging experience prompt. LOL

Reactions: 3 users
This might actually be the most difficult secondary essay I've had to write so far! I wonder how the adcom would react if I wrote about the creativity prompt for the challenging experience prompt. LOL
LOL! That would definitely catch their attention! I've been wondering how a little humor fares with adcoms (when appropriate, of course).

Reactions: 1 users
Got a file complete email! Super excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a confirmation email from Wake yesterday that all my application materials had been received. The status on the application status site as of this morning now says "You will be receiving notification of your application status by e-mail." Is that the same for anyone else?

When did you submit? Just wondering because I submitted but haven't received a complete email yet!
Honestly, just check the portal. I didn't receive an email but when I checked, I saw I was complete.

Man I'm struggling a bit on the required essay about being creative (was hoping it would be optional like previous years)

On MSAR it says Wake Forest will only accept letters through the AMCAS letter service. Does this include Interfolio?

On MSAR it says Wake Forest will only accept letters through the AMCAS letter service. Does this include Interfolio?
Interfolio can send the letters to amcas. That's how the schools all get the letters

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Man I'm struggling a bit on the required essay about being creative (was hoping it would be optional like previous years)

How did everyone approach this? I've been involved in performance music for like 8 years but I don't really know what angle to come at it from other than stress relief, expression.

How did everyone approach this? I've been involved in performance music for like 8 years but I don't really know what angle to come at it from other than stress relief, expression.
I wrote about bullet journaling. Lol.

I talked about it helped with productivity, helping stress relief, increasing mindfulness, and then giving me confidence to meaningfully engage w/ the community and take charge of the Arts & Crafts section at a community outreach event. Then related it to how creative outlets are underestimated in medicine as therapies, etc.

i just left it blank. who's creative now; bet nobody thought to do that

Reactions: 11 users
400 words is tough for me. Do you guys think that ~200 words would suffice? Or should I at least aim for 75% of the total word count?

400 words is tough for me. Do you guys think that ~200 words would suffice? Or should I at least aim for 75% of the total word count?

If you can say everything you want to say concisely in 200 words, I would think that's better than adding extra fluff to make your essay longer. Just my 2 cents

@Pathdocmd It seems like Wake Forest desires people that have a genuine in the area/school. I do not have many connections with North Carolina but still have a lot of interest in the school. Do you think it is worth putting a few reasons why Wake forest in optional essay 6 "Describe any connection you have to Wake Forest School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, or North Carolina"?

If you can say everything you want to say concisely in 200 words, I would think that's better than adding extra fluff to make your essay longer. Just my 2 cents
Before the word count suggestions I would get some people that wrote 2 or 3 pages on one essay. "Brevity is the essence of a focused mind" as one of my undergrad professors use to say.

@Pathdocmd It seems like Wake Forest desires people that have a genuine in the area/school. I do not have many connections with North Carolina but still have a lot of interest in the school. Do you think it is worth putting a few reasons why Wake forest in optional essay 6 "Describe any connection you have to Wake Forest School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, or North Carolina"?
If you don't have any connections, then don't write anything. Also, it is better than saying that you vacationed in the Outer Banks or Asheville when you were 10 years old. It will not be held against you if don't have any connections, it is just a waste of your and my time.

@Pathdocmd For the optional essay regarding our post-graduation involvement, should we merely state the experiences or go into depth about why we have chosen/what we have learned from these experiences? Some other schools have asked a similar question that asks how these experiences have contributed to personal growth and/or reinforced my decision to pursue medicine. Just want to make sure I am interpreting the question correctly and answering it fully!

Thank you :)

If you don't have any connections, then don't write anything. Also, it is better than saying that you vacationed in the Outer Banks or Asheville when you were 10 years old. It will not be held against you if don't have any connections, it is just a waste of your and my time.

Would living near W-S for a few years qualify as a connection?

@Pathdocmd If we have a significant other who is a current WF medical student, should we include that as a connection? I was unsure of whether or not that would look unfavorable. Thank you.

File complete just now.
OOS 3.2 undergrad gpa/ 3.8 graduate gpa
511 MCAT
we'll see what happens!

I just received a reminder email saying, "This is a reminder that a secondary application from Wake Forest School of Medicine has been sent to your email address on file. The deadline to complete the application is December 15th; however, it is in a applicants best interest to return the application as soon as possible. If your submitted your application yesterday or today please disregard as those applications will not be downloaded into our system until next week. "

I have been checking my email (both inbox and junk) everyday since July 1st waiting for my secondary, and still can't find any email with my secondary.... Is it possible that this was a mistake and that Wake Forest SOM never actually send it to me?

Freaking out, because I have no idea when it was supposedly sent/how long it has been! I do not want this to ruin my chances by looking like I did not submit due to lack of interest........

I just received a reminder email saying, "This is a reminder that a secondary application from Wake Forest School of Medicine has been sent to your email address on file. The deadline to complete the application is December 15th; however, it is in a applicants best interest to return the application as soon as possible. If your submitted your application yesterday or today please disregard as those applications will not be downloaded into our system until next week. "

I have been checking my email (both inbox and junk) everyday since July 1st waiting for my secondary, and still can't find any email with my secondary.... Is it possible that this was a mistake and that Wake Forest SOM never actually send it to me?

Freaking out, because I have no idea when it was supposedly sent/how long it has been! I do not want this to ruin my chances by looking like I did not submit due to lack of interest........
call them or email them lol

Did both, and got the secondary sent to me, but no other explanation etc.

Well, RIP.

No need to worry. Reminders are sent because it is a known problem that many schools block massive email distributions that medical schools use to send information.

I got my secondary on 7/14. I believe that's when a lot of the got sent out. I'd check the few days around that to start.

For the "academic work" question, do you guys think they are asking how we can handle med school's workload or is it more about how the nature of our courses shaped our perspectives on medicine?

For the "academic work" question, do you guys think they are asking how we can handle med school's workload or is it more about how the nature of our courses shaped our perspectives on medicine?
I feel like it's the latter. I'm sure they can make a fair assessment of your ability to handle workload based on GPA/MCAT/Major etc.

II today marked complete beginning of August

Reactions: 7 users