2023-2024 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Wake Forest Secondary Essay Prompts

1. We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us one experience that enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself and what you learned from it. (200 words or less)

2. Describe a non-academic challenge you have faced and explain how you overcame it. (200 words or less)

3. From your list of "most meaningful experiences" on the AMCAS application, choose one that has been the most formative in terms of your desire for a career in medicine. Why did that experience have such meaning for you in your decision-making process? (200 words or less)

4. Please share an experience that demonstrates how you have collaborated with others. (200 words or less)

5. Describe your future goal(s). Reflect on your past experiences and describe how these experiences will shape your goal(s). (200 words or less)

6. Tell us about any specific reason(s) (personal, educational, etc.) why you see yourself here at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine. (150 words or less)

7. Please tell us an interesting fact about yourself that a casual acquaintance may find surprising or interesting. (50 words or less)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@wysdoc OOS Secondary Received 06/30/2023:

1. We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us one experience that enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself and what you learned from it. (200 words or less)

2. Describe a non-academic challenge you have faced and explain how you overcame it. (200 words or less)

3. From your list of "most meaningful experiences" on the AMCAS application, choose one that has been the most formative in terms of your desire for a career in medicine. Why did that experience have such meaning for you in your decision-making process? (200 words or less)

4. Please share an experience that demonstrates how you have collaborated with others. (200 words or less)

5. Describe your future goal(s). Reflect on your past experiences and describe how these experiences will shape your goal(s). (200 words or less)

6. Tell us about any specific reason(s) (personal, educational, etc.) why you see yourself here at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine. (150 words or less)

7. Please tell us an interesting fact about yourself that a casual acquaintance may find surprising or interesting. (50 words or less)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
+1 OOS
I do have a question though. On the diversity question, I want to write about my experience as a first-gen American but I'm unsure if they're actually asking about a specific activity/occurence that was impactful to us. Can anyone help clarify?

+1 IS. I'm having issues accessing the secondary? I keep getting an "Internal 500" error. Anyone else experiencing the same thing? I'm not sure if it's an issue on my end or if I should reach out.

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding the optional question "If you have received a C+ grade or lower in any coursework, please explain" - I failed a pass/fail class. Being pass/fail it did not affect my GPA. Do you think this is something I should explain here?

Regarding the optional question "If you have received a C+ grade or lower in any coursework, please explain" - I failed a pass/fail class. Being pass/fail it did not affect my GPA. Do you think this is something I should explain here?
yes, you should still explain. Keep it brief and also say whether you repeated it for a passing grade.

Can you please post the optional questions?

Question regarding Institutional Actions (IA):

In my junior year I received a written warning for having a toaster in my apartment. No action was taken beyond tainting my transcript with this written warning.

I already said Yes to the institutional action essay on AMCAS and wrote a whole thing explaining it. Many schools, including Wake Forest, are asking me if I had an IA and to explain if the answer is yes. Can I just copy and paste what I wrote on AMCAS? I pretty much just wrote about not knowing it wasn't allowed and getting rid of it when I was told it was prohibited and learning from my mistake and all that. I don't see a point in writing a whole new essay to answer the same exact question. I hope this doesn't throw my application to the bottom of the pile.

Question regarding Institutional Actions (IA):

In my junior year I received a written warning for having a toaster in my apartment. No action was taken beyond tainting my transcript with this written warning.

I already said Yes to the institutional action essay on AMCAS and wrote a whole thing explaining it. Many schools, including Wake Forest, are asking me if I had an IA and to explain if the answer is yes. Can I just copy and paste what I wrote on AMCAS? I pretty much just wrote about not knowing it wasn't allowed and getting rid of it when I was told it was prohibited and learning from my mistake and all that. I don't see a point in writing a whole new essay to answer the same exact question. I hope this doesn't throw my application to the bottom of the pile.
I would keep it brief like you suggest.
I don't think it will detract from your application - "oh, no, not another toaster scofflaw!"

+1 OOS
I do have a question though. On the diversity question, I want to write about my experience as a first-gen American but I'm unsure if they're actually asking about a specific activity/occurence that was impactful to us. Can anyone help clarify?
I don't think this is a diversity prompt. It's asking about your experience with someone else that opened your eyes, not yourself.

All application materials (including Ca$per) submitted today. Good luck everyone!

question: are the msar "app review begins" dates accurate? Wake Forest apparently begins app review on 7/17 - does that mean I have until then to submit and be in the first wave?
I feel like you should try to be earlier. 7/17 would be more than 2 weeks

Do you think learning another language would be okay for the "Non-academic challenge"? For context, it's about how I continued to independently learn Chinese to stay connected to my heritage, even though my parents do not speak it. My response is not focused on difficult coursework in Chinese, more so just the strategies and mental aspects of the challenge.

Since they dont have access to your primary application when reading the answers to secondaries, are you guys repeating or even copying and pasting some bits from your personal statement/activities section when responding where applicable?

Since they dont have access to your primary application when reading the answers to secondaries, are you guys repeating or even copying and pasting some bits from your personal statement/activities section when responding where applicable?
"Since they dont have access to your primary application when reading the answers to secondaries,"

I think this is your assumption and not necessarily true! I gotta say a few of the schools seem to duplicate the primary questions, perhaps to wedge it into their own portal format and make it easier to read, or sometimes to make less work for their fact-checkers to see if you have met the pre-reqs.
Assume nothing, cheerfully answers the questions as if you haven't answered them before, and if given a choice condense or re-word things a little because they WILL be reading your primary app as well.

Do you want to give them a chance to meet you in an interview? Then play the game.

Reactions: 1 users
"Since they dont have access to your primary application when reading the answers to secondaries,"

I think this is your assumption and not necessarily true! I gotta say a few of the schools seem to duplicate the primary questions, perhaps to wedge it into their own portal format and make it easier to read, or sometimes to make less work for their fact-checkers to see if you have met the pre-reqs.
Assume nothing, cheerfully answers the questions as if you haven't answered them before, and if given a choice condense or re-word things a little because they WILL be reading your primary app as well.

Do you want to give them a chance to meet you in an interview? Then play the game.
Thank you! so on the secondary application page, it says "Do not disclose grades or MCAT scores in any of the responses. Application reviewers do not have access to your full AMCAS application with personal statement and experiences when reviewing your secondary application."

Thank you! so on the secondary application page, it says "Do not disclose grades or MCAT scores in any of the responses. Application reviewers do not have access to your full AMCAS application with personal statement and experiences when reviewing your secondary application."
That is specifically when reviewing your secondary application to avoid bias in their first impression. When they come together to discuss you as an overall applicant for interview invites/acceptance decisions, they will have access to everything.

Does Wake Forest require Casper for your application to be reviewed or do they just require it before interviews?

Bit confused by this question: "Have you ever been an employee, student, or volunteer at Wake Forest Baptist Health or an applicant/student in any Wake Forest University School of Medicine program (MD, Graduate Studies, Academic Nursing, PA Studies)?"

If we are a re-applicant to this school, should I click yes?

Bit confused by this question: "Have you ever been an employee, student, or volunteer at Wake Forest Baptist Health or an applicant/student in any Wake Forest University School of Medicine program (MD, Graduate Studies, Academic Nursing, PA Studies)?"

If we are a re-applicant to this school, should I click yes?
yes, you are a reapplicant to Wake Forest School of Medicine MD

Does Wake Forest require Casper for your application to be reviewed or do they just require it before interviews?
In the secondary email it says:

"All applicants are required to provide a CASPer test score before your application will be reviewed."

For this question:

What do they mean by "will shape your goal"? I apologize English isn't my first language so I am not 100% sure, but should it be "shaped your goal" since it happened in the past? Or are my past experiences supposed to have some future effect on my goals?

The language here is kind of confusing.

For this question:

What do they mean by "will shape your goal"? I apologize English isn't my first language so I am not 100% sure, but should it be "shaped your goal" since it happened in the past? Or are my past experiences supposed to have some future effect on my goals?

The language here is kind of confusing.
I didn't read too deeply into it. I basically described my future goals and used my past experiences as justification for why I've shown I want to be involved in X in the future.

Can I reuse some of the stories I wrote in my primary application? Reworded a little?

Applying for the upcoming cycle (June 2024) and strongly interested in applying to Wake Forest-Charlotte.

However, I feel like the opening year for the school has been delayed every single year. When does the school open and will I be able to apply next cycle?

Applying for the upcoming cycle (June 2024) and strongly interested in applying to Wake Forest-Charlotte.

However, I feel like the opening year for the school has been delayed every single year. When does the school open and will I be able to apply next cycle?
Their web page suggests it will be in 2024, but as we know there can be construction delays

Any movement here? Saw someone on reddit say they were rejected pre-II but i feel like it’s early? Anyone know when they started sending II or rejections last cycle?

Reactions: 2 users
Any movement here? Saw someone on reddit say they were rejected pre-II but i feel like it’s early? Anyone know when they started sending II or rejections last cycle?
Last year they started sending out pre-interview rejections in October, around the time they were offering their first acceptances to people who had already interviewed. #197
It might be hard to hear a rejection, but at least they don't keep you wondering for months if they don't plan to interview you.

Reactions: 2 users