2017-2018 Wake Forest University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
For the prompt regarding non-traditional academic work, is it speaking strictly on other types of courses you have taken such as humanities, liberal arts, etc.? Would research be included in this non-traditional? Research is the obvious answer for being able to prepare yourself for a career in medicine.

Thank you!

For the prompt regarding non-traditional academic work, is it speaking strictly on other types of courses you have taken such as humanities, liberal arts, etc.? Would research be included in this non-traditional? Research is the obvious answer for being able to prepare yourself for a career in medicine.

Thank you!

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I interpreted it as the former (humanities, arts, etc.). I don't think research is necessarily what that prompt is asking about, as it tends to fall in line with the more scientific courses.

Ok, I'm in a slight pickle. My entire diversity essay stems around my creative design work. My adversity essay is how I creatively overcame a huge obstacle in my life. My response to how my academic work is based on my undergraduate program, which was focused entirely on creativity. Creativity is the major theme in my life. Then I get to the "how has creativity helped you" prompt and I'm afraid I've already answered that in the other essays. I hope this bodes well for my application - and I have more examples of creativity helping me - but I was wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems and if anyone would be willing to read through my responses later today to see if I properly answer the questions? I'm trying to split my diversity essay into two parts (one is about my creative thinking - the other is about how I applied it to my home renovation and my design blog). I will probably be done a little later tonight and wouldn't mind if someone could tell me if I split everything out well.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I'm in a slight pickle. My entire diversity essay stems around my creative design work. My adversity essay is how I creatively overcame a huge obstacle in my life. My response to how my academic work is based on my undergraduate program, which was focused entirely on creativity. Creativity is the major theme in my life. Then I get to the "how has creativity helped you" prompt and I'm afraid I've already answered that in the other essays. I hope this bodes well for my application - and I have more examples of creativity helping me - but I was wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems and if anyone would be willing to read through my responses later today to see if I properly answer the questions? I'm trying to split my diversity essay into two parts (one is about my creative thinking - the other is about how I applied it to my home renovation and my design blog). I will probably be done a little later tonight and wouldn't mind if someone could tell me if I split everything out well.
I think that's ok, and you can even mention how creativity is a natural part of your thought process, using the divesity, adversity and then a new example to reinforce that idea. I'll read yours later if you want

I think that's ok, and you can even mention how creativity is a natural part of your thought process, using the divesity, adversity and then a new example to reinforce that idea. I'll read yours later if you want

Thanks! This is the first time I've felt like a school really knows me. I'll see if I can get a draft done and send it on.

Anyone know how long it takes for the Joint Degree program review applications?

How do you login to the "check status" page? I submitted last week and didn't get the complete email yet but not sure how to log into this as the credentials aren't the same

Edit: NVM it worked now it showed some weird username and password login before

Members don't see this ad :)
Still not complete since Thursday!!! Cmon Wake, wake up!! :D

Current MS1. I found talking with current students to be the most beneficial way to prepare for my interviews, so if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask!
1. How prepped should I be for any tough ethics questions?
2. What is the general atmosphere?
3. Thank you so much for doing this!

Congrats!!! When were you complete and do you mind sharing your stats?
Thanks! Sorry for the late reply.

LizzyM 71.5 (I said 76 in a previous forum, sorry I misread my score)
OOS

I was complete on the 17th of July or so

Reactions: 3 users
1. I dont think that I had any ethical questions at all on interview day. If I did, they were very straight forward and didn't require pre-planning or a detailed response. This can obviously change from year to year and from interviewer to interviewer.

2. The atmosphere of my interviews was extremely relaxed, and by far the least stressful out of all my experiences. Every school I attended claimed that their interviews were "laid back and relaxed", but wake really made sure to make that happen (unlike some others). Last year it was 3 separate 15 minute interviews. You either have them first thing in the morning, or later in the day. You stand outside the first interview room, an intercom system tells you to enter and when to exit, you walk to the next room and do the same. Two other interviewees rotate with you and then afterwards you have a financial aid talk, tour of school from a current student, lunch, and meeting deans of admissions (all awesome people)

3. Seriously, be prepared for "Why Wake". Truly have some reasons why you applied because you will be asked by every interviewer. I understand that it fell within your LizzyM range and that they're OOS friendly, but dig a little deeper into their website and past school specific threads. It's an unbelievable school, with amazing brand new facilities, extremely early patient contact (literally while you're still in LAUNCH - which you should find out about), and in a low COL environment.

The interview format has changed for the upcoming cycle. Please see the following: On-campus Interview for MD Program Applicants

Reactions: 5 users
A couple of these essays required more introspection then I anticipated. I did not get to submit until yesterday. I hope this will not be a significant disadvantage. The opportunities here are great!

Last edited:
A couple of these essays required more introspection then I anticipated. I did not get to submit until yesterday. I hope this will not be a significant disadvantage. The opportunities here are great!
Same. I just submitted right now. I know the rule of thumb is to submit within 2 weeks of receiving the secondary but I lost it in my junk file for the first week and then finished my internship and move back across the nation during my second week, so I submitted a little over 3 weeks after receiving the secondary. I hope this is not seen as a lack of interest in the school because that is not accurate at all.

On the secondary it only had spots to designate the two letters being sent to them from AMCAS. However, MSAR says they will take up to 6 and so when I originally submitted I sent 5. Does anyone know whether they will read more than the two letters or are they going to only read the two they asked for?

Same. I just submitted right now. I know the rule of thumb is to submit within 2 weeks of receiving the secondary but I lost it in my junk file for the first week and then finished my internship and move back across the nation during my second week, so I submitted a little over 3 weeks after receiving the secondary. I hope this is not seen as a lack of interest in the school because that is not accurate at all.

On the secondary it only had spots to designate the two letters being sent to them from AMCAS. However, MSAR says they will take up to 6 and so when I originally submitted I sent 5. Does anyone know whether they will read more than the two letters or are they going to only read the two they asked for?

It says on their website that although MSAR says they take up to 6, they cannot guarantee that the ones other than the two you listed in the secondary will be read. On the other hand, we are nearly identical stats applicants!

It says on their website that although MSAR says they take up to 6, they cannot guarantee that the ones other than the two you listed in the secondary will be read. On the other hand, we are nearly identical stats applicants!
Ahh I see. Lol neat! I hope that means we'll both be successful!

some adcoms on here say the 2 week thing is a myth, so im sure youre fine

Just got the complete application email. Another unnecessary heart attack

Reactions: 9 users
II about 30 minutes ago

Reactions: 4 users
Just got my II in the batch from an hour ago! Super excited!

For those asking about stats, 514 with GPA/s - 3.93/3.80, have decent research and very strong connections to the area (live less than an hour away, worked there for a summer, friends with a PI)

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my II in the batch from an hour ago! Super excited!

For those asking about stats, 514 with GPA/s - 3.93/3.80, have decent research and very strong connections to the area (live less than an hour away, worked there for a summer, friends with a PI)
Date secondary was submitted?

What did your wake portal say beforehand? Mine says I'll be notified by email o_O

Mine said something along the lines of "your file is under review and if granted an interview you will be notified by email"

Submitted WF 7/28, received complete email today. Here we go!

Did you get the email? I really wanted to submit earlier, but I also didn't want a bad grade in m
Submitted WF 7/28, received complete email today. Here we go!

Dang, is that how long it's taking? I'm dying to know when I'll be complete. I guess turning it in at the beginning of this week does not bode well.

Did you get the email? I really wanted to submit earlier, but I also didn't want a bad grade in m

Dang, is that how long it's taking? I'm dying to know when I'll be complete. I guess turning it in at the beginning of this week does not bode well.

That's less than 2 weeks?

That's less than 2 weeks?

Yeah - Not long compared to Johns Hopkins, but long compared to places that mark you as complete when they already have your letters, the fee, and the secondary. I'll hang tight.

Yeah - Not long compared to Johns Hopkins, but long compared to places that mark you as complete when they already have your letters, the fee, and the secondary. I'll hang tight.

They mark you complete and send you the email later from what I see.

They mark you complete and send you the email later from what I see.

Is this in the same website we submitted to? Because I don't see any indication when I sign in that I am complete. I feel like I might be missing something.

I'm having the same problem coming from a design-based master's. I'm trying to focus on the broader skills working in a creative field has taught me, to the extent that I can come up with something I haven't specifically mentioned already... I'm nervous about it since my diversity essay also focuses on it a lot (the non-trad life, haha).

I'm having the same problem coming from a design-based master's. I'm trying to focus on the broader skills working in a creative field has taught me, to the extent that I can come up with something I haven't specifically mentioned already... I'm nervous about it since my diversity essay also focuses on it a lot (the non-trad life, haha).

I kind of gave up and completely embraced it...

Anyone else having trouble scheduling their interview because of the limited days?

II this afternoon. Complete 8/2. LM 76

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users