2017-2018 Wayne State University

Started by gyngyn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Does anyone know if Wayne is receptive to updates pre-interview? I've been complete since mid-august and have not heard anything yet. I have started a few meaningful activities, so I was hoping to update them.

Yes! I submitted an update to them pre-II (a bit over one month before receiving it).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! I got an email regarding the new curriculum for Wayne State and thought I'd share it here!

"
To School of Medicine Warriors:

I am pleased to report, on behalf of the entire Wayne State University School of Medicine Year 1 curriculum revision team, our positive momentum toward an enhanced, experiential and exceptional curriculum. Our goal is to provide Warrior M.D.s the best student experience possible – a learning environment informed by extensive research, analysis and review, that will provide them with a unique set of tools, skills, knowledge and experiences that will position them as leaders among their peers, here in Michigan and beyond.

Our target implementation date is July 2018. This is an aggressive time table that will require a committed effort. However, our thoughtful and collaborative group of Warrior Medicine faculty, student and administrative leaders are making substantial progress.

As you can imagine, it is difficult to convey our entire curriculum revision process and progress in one email. That is why we thought we would start by sharing the below with you now.

Curriculum overview
The Year 1 revised curriculum will be enhanced, experiential and exceptional. It will provide students with:

  • An organ systems-based curriculum that blends and reinforces basic sciences and clinical experiences from day one, integrating classroom, self-directed learning and small-group learning with clinical skills, cases, experience and training
  • A focused clinical skills course
  • A deep and authentic understanding of health needs and social determinants among various populations
  • Multiple ways to take advantage of experiential service learning, community engagement and research opportunities via individualized elective tracks and strong academic, health care and community partnerships
  • A longitudinal focus on professionalism that stresses quality and compassionate care, cultural competency and leadership
  • Continuous quality improvement and assessment efforts that help ensure the best student experience possible
Key milestones
  • We held a Year 1 curriculum retreat on Oct. 6. More than 80 School of Medicine representatives gathered to discuss a revised curriculum that might better support and prepare our students.
  • Dean Jack D. Sobel reviewed the curriculum revision construct with School of Medicine department chairs at the Combined Chairs meeting on Nov. 27. It proved to be a landmark meeting that highlighted positive input about and support for the future direction of medical education at Wayne State.
  • The School of Medicine Curriculum Management Committee (CMC) has approved the revised curriculum in concept. CMC approval is a major milestone and quite an accomplishment.
  • A package is being prepared to present to Wayne State University Provost Keith Whitfield by Dec. 20.
Looking forward
Though we already have achieved some major milestones like CMC approval, there remains much to do. For instance, we are in the process of identifying specific additional resources needed for successful curriculum implementation. In addition, we are systematically comparing proposed curricular interventions with established best practices observed in other institutions across the nation. Thanks to Dean Sobel’s advocacy and support of this revised curriculum, we are well on our way.

We pledge to communicate monthly with you as we continue our work toward this revision. In the meantime, please accept my sincere gratitude for all that you have done or will do for this initiative. The efforts made now by our students, faculty, staff and alumni will have an enormous impact on the lives of our students and communities for years to come.

Sincerely,

Richard Baker, M.D.
Vice Dean
Office of Medical Education
Wayne State University School of Medicine

"
 
I hope all that are waiting hear back this week! That'd be a great Christmas present. They said they'd like to get decisions out by Christmas, but that the holiday season can be a bit hectic for them. However, I also assume they wouldn't want a lot of decisions hovering above their heads heading into the New Year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's the proper etiquette for submitting update letters? I just uploaded a letter to the portal. Do I need to email them letting them know of this update?
 
Crap, I submitted my update as a Word document. Do you think I should re-submit it as a PDF? Anyone know if Word docs are accepted or can be read by them when uploaded to the portal?

This is what is shown when you click "Upload additional documents"

Valid file types for MD:Addtl Upload for Committees are:
  • Portable Document Format (PDF)
 
Crap, I submitted my update as a Word document. Do you think I should re-submit it as a PDF? Anyone know if Word docs are accepted or can be read by them when uploaded to the portal?
Im not sure but I did the same thing. I didn’t see it at first but I got paranoid and double checked. I reuploaded it in pdf
 
Im not sure but I did the same thing. I didn’t see it at first but I got paranoid and double checked. I reuploaded it in pdf
I'm going to do that now, thanks! How long before you noticed the mistake and have they responded to you yet? I'm so mad at myself, I submitted this like 3 weeks ago with hopes I'd hear back soon. Positive this is only gonna push me back farther :arghh:🙁
 
I'm going to do that now, thanks! How long before you noticed the mistake and have they responded to you yet? I'm so mad at myself, I submitted this like 3 weeks ago with hopes I'd hear back soon. Positive this is only gonna push me back farther :arghh:🙁
It took me about 2 weeks to notice. I just wish senpai would notice me.
 
Good news, I emailed the office of admissions last night, and they said word docs are acceptable and readable. Even though I completely freaked out and re-submitted the docs as pdfs last night before awaiting their reply lol
Well that's a relief aja, thanks for checking in with them!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad