2018-2019 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Technically, ACOM is the academic division of SAMC (now known as Southeast Health). ACOM is pretty much working around the clock to get residencies started up there as well as expanding the clinical rotation catalogue. The clinical rotations are why I ended up choosing ACOM over my other acceptances. Two things will get you into a good residency: good board scores and solid clinical experiences during your clinical years. Board scores are 90% dependent on the individual student's effort. Clinical rotations, on the other hand, are mostly dependent on what the school you attend can offer you. ACOM is new, but it's clinical rotations are on another level. We just submitted our ranked list of clinical sites a couple weeks ago. You would think it was a mini-match since we had THIRTY core rotation sites we had to choose from, many of which are in very desirable locations (Birmingham, Huntsville, Mobile, Tallahassee, Panama City, Biloxi, Montgomery, etc.)

A lot of the hate that DO schools get is based around the fact that these schools pop up with makeshift clinical rotations and for not making serious attempts at increasing residency slots available (while simultaneously pumping out 150 graduates every year). Thankfully, ACOM has really taken the bull by the horns and I could tell as much when I interviewed here over two years ago. Bookmark my post and come back to it in 10 years, because I honestly think that ACOM is a sleeper that is going to break out pretty soon. Pretty much all of the gripes that people had when the school first opened are nearly gone (the 60% attendance policy is likely to gone in the next year, and Wolfpack is now optional), while the things the school has been praised for has continued to improve.

I have a few questions. Would you be wiling to answer them? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have an interview appointment in March that they would like to switch with me for an April 5th interview date? Please PM me as soon as you can if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any upper years comment on drug test frequency? Is the one before matriculation the only one or are there more? Are they rotation/site dependent? Does it ever involve a hair test? Have any students tested positive for THC before and if so how did the admin handle them?

Can any upper years comment on drug test frequency? Is the one before matriculation the only one or are there more? Are they rotation/site dependent? Does it ever involve a hair test? Have any students tested positive for THC before and if so how did the admin handle them?

Urine drug test before matriculation and another one before rotations. You migjt have to do specific ones for your audition rotations depending on the programs, but I never had to and was able to use my third year results.

Username checks out

Reactions: 4 users
If you're a stoner do us all a favor and go the business/computer route instead of medicine.

I found the answers to their question useful and informative. Your comment is neither. Keep your presumptions to yourself please!

Reactions: 4 users
The answers were great, my problem lies with the question itself and the poster in question. I wouldn't have responded so harshly if the question was from an established profile.

I have a few questions. Would you be wiling to answer them? Thanks!

Sure, ask here or you can PM me! Studying for boards heavily right now so I'm a little slow with checking SDN more than once a week

Sure, ask here or you can PM me! Studying for boards heavily right now so I'm a little slow with checking SDN more than once a week
I cant pm you. Could you PM me? Thanks!

Same with me, the attendance is the ONLY thing holding me up.
I wouldn't worry about the attendance honestly. I was and it's really not as bad as it sounds. Every school has certain lectures that you're REQUIRED to go to and our "mandatory" attendance minimum for the general lectures actually calculates out to a decent amount that you can skip. I skipped a certain professor just because their teaching style didn't work for my learning style and slept in a few days to skip a couple 8am lectures and I never even had to worry about attendance. This week barely have to be on campus because we just have DSAs (basically, you read through a powerpoint on your own time). We had an exam Monday and we had 2 hours of OPP lab today, ~35 mins of a patient encounter(OSCE) tomorrow, no class Thursday, and two hours of class on Friday. Some weeks are weird like this and you don't even have to go to campus much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the school provide any study aide apps like picmonic, draw it to know it, Lecturio, etc. I know they do Wolfpacc and there is access to the first aide books. Just curious if there were other resources that they provided.
A lot of students will go in on resources with their friends to make it more affordable, like picmonic. Otherwise for like U World, theres a group discount so students can get a group of people together to take advantage of that. I got my copy of First Aid off amazon for like $27. There's ways around spending a ton of money. The school provides a Pathoma book and online access, an online question bank, and First Aid PDF (as far as I know). I honestly wouldn't worry about that. The resources become available once you start studying.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone interviewing March 8th interested in carpooling? I'm trying to plan out where I will fly and how I will get to Dothan, Al. I thought about renting a car.

Hey guys! I have an inside tip for all of you that are finding yourselves on the waitlist. On April 26th, ACOM is having an event called ShaDO day where they have undergrad students visit the school, tour around, watch the students do SIM, and get a hands on OPP session. There is a bit more that goes on but a key thing to note is, last year we had about 4-6 students from the waitlist show up and stay for the event and a member of the ACOM admissions committee came, in-person, and took their names down and, if I'm not mistaken, they all received an acceptance from the waitlist. I don't know if all of them chose to attend but if you are on the waitlist and know you really want to come here, this is an event that is worth the extra trip to ACOM. If you are interviewing on this day, I recommend flying out the next day and attending this event. But I thought I would put the date out there for you guys in case some of you on the waitlist want to make the trip.
Can I PM you?

I'm a current first year...if you have any questions about ACOM, hit me up...but not about USMLE step 1 scores...that's all on you and your preparation, not ACOM lectures!

and if you're interviewing and need a place to stay..I have one guest bed available...no charge

I'm a first year at ACOM and someone asked my advice on studying methods...this was my reply, and I thought others may be interested in my thoughts; also I've attached the 2 year curriculum...the lecture schedules will change a lot, but the course blocks are pretty consistent.

Here's the 2 year outline...it's pretty consistent, lectures will get moved around, but the course blocks are consistent. Not sure how to best answer your question about the curriculum...it's a lot, plan to study a lot, but it's doable. What works, won't necessarily work for you. There are lots of methods. During orientation week, you'll get a couple of talks about study methods, then you just experiment a little and see what works best for you. Different classes require different methods. For biochem/molecular medicine, I just read the slides and listen to the lectures and never cracked the book (if i needed further resources to get a better grasp, I usually went to wikipedia, you tube, khan academy, etc).....For gross embryology, I read the book and watched you tube videos....for anatomy and histology, again, slides, you tube, and a little flashcards, but drawing things out and spending time in the cadaver labs....for pharmacology, i used more flashcards, and never opened the textbook. This is just an example. Last semester I used more flashcards, this semester I'm not using any. For neuroanatomy, I watched a lot of videos from you tube and dr. najeeb, and spent time drawing out neuro pathways. For pathology/pathophysiology, I actually do read the books for the relevant sections, only because path is heavy tested, and understanding the underlying pathology of a disease helps to understand the clinical picture better and sometimes the treatment, rather than just trying to memorize those aspects. Hope this helps...let me know if you other specific questions.

Attachments

• 2_Year_Curriculum_Map_2022.pdf
    126.5 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if there's an accepted students facebook page?

I submitted one as soon as as possible .sorry for the late reply

No prob! I ended up submitting one (which I felt was strong) a few weeks ago. I was happy to see I quickly received a few positive email replies from the admissions dept. Fingers crossed!

Are they still accepting students or did they fill all their seats?

They usually don’t fill all the seats this early. They interview until the end of April or May.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed there last week and they said they have seats to fill. I'm awaiting their decision because I was fairly impressed by the school

Does ACOM have affiliation with any gyms in Dothan? Any discounts for students and/or their families?

Does ACOM have affiliation with any gyms in Dothan? Any discounts for students and/or their families?

Reposting this response from someone who personal messaged me:

“The summerfield gym is tiny but has some basic equipment. The hospital gym (called Living Well Fitness) is bigger with more varied equipment and is 15 a month for us. Dothan Athletic Club is the best in town in my opinion and has a ton of equipment, it’s 30 a month for ACOM students.

If you’re interested in crossfit there are several good ones in town including Artisan, Embrace, and Circle City.”

I was waitlisted, do you know the odds of coming off the waitlist?
as I understood it, they really move through their WL! They accept many more students than they know will attend. hoping the best for you!

Reactions: 1 users
just fyi if anyone is looking for an earlier interview date i just noticed a March 8th spot opened up on the interview portal

Anyone interviewing March 8th interested in carpooling? I'm trying to plan out where I will fly and how I will get to Dothan, Al. I thought about renting a car.
Hey I am interviewing on the same date, did u find a someone to carpool with and where will you be landing?

so i never thought id be in this position but i was accepted to my top choice school and so i wanted to decline my II here but i have no idea how to go about it also given that my interview date is so soon i wanna do it asap so they can get someone else but im just not sure what to say if anyone has ideas

so i never thought id be in this position but i was accepted to my top choice school and so i wanted to decline my II here but i have no idea how to go about it also given that my interview date is so soon i wanna do it asap so they can get someone else but im just not sure what to say if anyone has ideas
What day did you signup for?

I know decisions are typically sent out within 2 weeks of the interview, but does anyone know if we get accepted when we have to submit the deposit? I'm interviewing next week..

You hit My Schedule in upper right corner and then "delete reservation"

I know decisions are typically sent out within 2 weeks of the interview, but does anyone know if we get accepted when we have to submit the deposit? I'm interviewing next week..

7ECFB0C6-F914-44AD-93A0-CAAE8252447A.jpeg

Is there uber in Dothan? My flight is at 7 AM the day after the interview and was wondering what the best way to get a ride from the hotel to Dothan Regional Airport that early..

There is, but its pretty unreliable. There were like 4 drivers in the entire city. I'd just schedule a taxi.

Any good medical/ motivational books to read prior to starting med school?

This may not be the type of book you’re talking about but I highly recommend reading The White Cost Investor! I was recommended by 3 of the physicians I work with to read it before medical school and then again before residency.

Hello all, I am applying here next cycle and wanted to know what is the min mcat for this school.