2018-2019 Central Michigan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today. LM 65
IS complete 7/20/18

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@star.buck do you possibly have insider info on when/how often the committee meets?

Historically, the ADCOM has met not less than once a month, excluding CMU-wide holidays... as for the date of those meetings in the present, the frequency of supplemental meetings, or the timing thereof, I fear I’m no help. My apologies...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how often this place sends out IIs?

I was complete in October because the CASPER takes a while to get graded

Does anyone know how often this place sends out IIs?

I was complete in October because the CASPER takes a while to get graded
cmu doesnt require casper is that correct? and also ive been complete since august so it all sucks right now

cmu doesnt require casper is that correct? and also ive been complete since august so it all sucks right now

The CASPer exam is not required and completely voluntary, it is not required in anyway as part of your application process to the CMU College of Medicine. CASPer does not factor into our evaluation process. (source: CASPer | Central Michigan University)

so they are just collecting it for research?

It sounds like they are using it mostly to help students prepare for the MMI interview. Whether they will start requiring it in the future, I am not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Has anyone who was complete in August or later received an II yet? I think the latest I saw someone complete who got an II is late July...?
Nope ...based on the thread, it seems not. I was complete early August and haven't heard anything..

only one person reported an acceptance so far on oct 16th and it was from the 9/21 interview
I can confirm that there are many other people who have received acceptances... I know of others from my interview day (9/21).

SDN isn't a very representative sample

Accepted just now via phone!!
Interviewed on 10/19

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
I can confirm that there are many other people who have received acceptances... I know of others from my interview day (9/21).

SDN isn't a very representative sample

Are they sent via email or phone calls?

already? thats fast! congrats!

Anyone from the first interview date (9/21) still waiting?
Yep

Anybody know if there has been any rejections or placement on the wait list? I've heard nothing at all and I'm kinda anxious.

Last edited:
Just got the acceptance call! Interviewed on 10/12, IS, Lizzy M score of 69!

Reactions: 9 users
II a few hours ago! Complete sometime in July

Reactions: 3 users
have they started handing out waitlists/holds yet?

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!!! Welcome to CMED - we are thrilled to have you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if this school is OOS friendly? I just saw on the website that only 20% of students will be from OOS. Not too optimistic about my chances now.

Also can someone speak about the diversity at this school? Diversity in terms of Specifically Minority students in medicine (black, Hispanic, Native American etc ) on some of the promotion materials I noticed a few South Asians but that was it :whistle:.

Also does anyone have any insight about the religious diversity here ? Jews, Atheists etc.

Thanks so much!!

Lastly if anyone had any feedback about the interview Day, first impressions etc that would be awesome

Do you have any insight about the interview day? I terms of first impressions, organization, etc

Very nicely organized and possibly the most chill and friendly one I’ve had. However it is much longer than the average MMI interview but the nice thing is that they don’t require you to stay inside the room for the entire during of the 8 mins. I was out by 4-5 mins for several of them and they really stressed that it will not be counted against you whatsoever

Very nicely organized and possibly the most chill and friendly one I’ve had. However it is much longer than the average MMI interview but the nice thing is that they don’t require you to stay inside the room for the entire during of the 8 mins. I was out by 4-5 mins for several of them and they really stressed that it will not be counted against you whatsoever

Thank you for your feedback! That’s great to hear! Did they mention how often students were in Saginaw ? It looks like it’s an hour away from Mt Pleasant

Does anyone know if this school is OOS friendly? I just saw on the website that only 20% of students will be from OOS. Not too optimistic about my chances now.
Also can someone speak about the diversity at this school? Diversity in terms of Specifically Minority students in medicine (black, Hispanic, Native American etc ) on some of the promotion materials I noticed a few South Asians but that was it :whistle:.
Also does anyone have any insight about the religious diversity here ? Jews, Atheists etc.
Thanks so much!!
Lastly if anyone had any feedback about the interview Day, first impressions etc that would be awesome

I'll answer your questions here - as they appear the same as the ones you sent me in private message.

Statistically speaking, many of the past classes have been IS heavy - but as the school gains ground and releases amazing match stats those numbers may rise. If you got an interview, there's a seat for you - so come earn it. The school's mission is to provide physicians for the rural areas of Michigan - which is likely why there is such a heavy in state crowd - but there is no bias from everything the admissions committee has told me. This doesn't mean to you have to be a rural family doc if you come here - we've graduated many surgeons, radiologists... etc. Check out the match lists I posted a few weeks ago.

The classes are also becoming more diverse. Promotional materials are usually useless in showing the demographics of the classes - so don't look only at those to get an idea of the school. The classes of 2021 and 2022 seemed quite diverse to me, more so than my own class of 2020, however I don't make a habit of asking everyone where they were born and their ethnicity. If you're worried about being the only black, Hispanic, Indian... so on... don't be. For religion - I know there's a Muslim's in Medicine and a Christians in Medicine student interest group, and I personally know several atheists in my own class. I'd say the diversity is growing, in all areas.

For how often we're in Saginaw - the first two years barely at all. Those are the didactic years, spent almost entirely in Mt Pleasant (which is a rural Michigan town, mostly Caucasian, but diversity with the LARGE CMU student body). The second two years will be about 18 months or so in Saginaw (I'd check out the demographics stats for Saginaw), with most of your core rotations at St Mary's or Covenant - and 6 months at the rural (or urban if you want Saginaw/Detroit/etc). You also have the option of spending your 3rd/4th years in Midland or Detroit. This has been explained elsewhere in this thread - it can be confusing.

As for interview tips - several of us have given some great tips in this thread, I'd recommend checking those out.

Congrats on your interview! Best of luck to you!

Just took an R. Interviewed 9/28 OOS. Kind of bummed as I loved the school and town. C'est la vie no hard feelings good luck to the rest of you I wish the best!

Just took an R. Interviewed 9/28 OOS. Kind of bummed as I loved the school and town. C'est la vie no hard feelings good luck to the rest of you I wish the best!

sorry to hear that i hope you hear good news from other schools! was it an email sent today?

say something I’m giving up on you, central.

Reactions: 7 users
how does the MMI here compare to the one at MSU CHM. I thought the MMI scenarios were pretty difficult at MSU.

how does the MMI here compare to the one at MSU CHM. I thought the MMI scenarios were pretty difficult at MSU.

MSU was definitely tougher. These are very straightforward and the speakers that day will tell you there’s no weird acting MMI kinda things. Just straightforward questions that require no knowledge lol just be yourself

MSU was definitely tougher. These are very straightforward and the speakers that day will tell you there’s no weird acting MMI kinda things. Just straightforward questions that require no knowledge lol just be yourself
Awesome, appreciate the insight. Yeah MSU was brutal in my opinion lol