2018-2019 Central Michigan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome, appreciate the insight. Yeah MSU was brutal in my opinion lol

Brutal how? I heard that CMU and MSU have pretty comparable interview days.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if this school is OOS friendly? I just saw on the website that only 20% of students will be from OOS. Not too optimistic about my chances now.

Also can someone speak about the diversity at this school? Diversity in terms of Specifically Minority students in medicine (black, Hispanic, Native American etc ) on some of the promotion materials I noticed a few South Asians but that was it :whistle:.

Also does anyone have any insight about the religious diversity here ? Jews, Atheists etc.

Thanks so much!!

Lastly if anyone had any feedback about the interview Day, first impressions etc that would be awesome

My apologies for the late reply (please note that I'm paraphrasing from the questions in your PM). I am currently rotating on inpatient pediatrics and as a result, I don't get to reply to my messages as I usually would...

"Diversity" is rather a nuanced question in medical education generally. One institution may be considered "diverse" for admitting a class of all different skin tones, but all 22-23 year old biochemistry majors from the same elite undergraduate institutions researching in the same labs and presenting at the same conferences. Another might be "diverse" for admitting students from many majors and many walks of life, but a small number of those might be visible minorities. Yet another might call itself "diverse" for being based in an urban area, but no one in the student body has ever seen a farm in person.

With that in mind, both CMED and the areas where we learn and work are rather unique. My class, admittedly, is a little light on visible minorities, but we are extremely diverse in terms of life experiences. Probably about 40% of the class comes from a non-traditional background. Several of us had previous clinical careers in everything from pharmacy to chiropractic; others were businesspeople or teachers, a few were artists. About a quarter of our class comes from a rural background. All mainstream religious faiths are represented, as are none. A handful of students are married, some with children, and there is a visible LGBTQ+ presence. The current M1 and M2 classes offer a little more visible diversity, as well as the previous classes' experiential and educational diversity.

Mt Pleasant, meanwhile, offers some very unique contrasts. The town itself is heavily middle class and modestly diverse (though don't expect to find much in the way of unique ethnic dining or commerce - all colors of the rainbow do their shopping at Meijer's), and the CMU campus is your typical college melting pot of backgrounds. However, the town is mostly surrounded by the Isabella Indian Reservation, which is home to the Saginaw Chippewa tribe, one of the biggest Ojibwe communities still extant. A couple of miles outside "downtown" Mt Pleasant, you're in overwhelmingly white, lower socioeconomic, lower education rural communities. Go thirty minutes east and you're in Midland, which is home to Dow Chemical and all the wealth and education that a global manufacturing and engineering conglomerate can command.

Saginaw is where you'll spend at least half of your M3 year, depending on where you get assigned for your community clinical clerkship (CCC). Very few students commute from Mt Pleasant - in my experience the only commuters have been those who started medical school with school-age children and did not want to uproot their families every year. Most everyone moves to Saginaw, or somewhere reasonably proximal to both it and their CCC sites (see below). It's about a 1h15m drive from Mt P to Saginaw via freeways, assuming favorable weather and road conditions. Saginaw proper is a bit bigger, a bit more diverse, and a bit grittier than the surrounding communities. Saginaw Township and Kochville, in contrast, are decidedly suburban.

For CCC, you will be assigned to work in family practice in a medically underserved community for six months. CCC sites are located all over the state of Michigan, and most sites are very, very rural and very, very culturally homogeneous. There are a few urban and exurban options, but at least for my class those were rather sparse. Future classes should have a bit more diversity of choice, as we partner with new institutions and bring more sites online.

I think both star.buck and I covered the interview process in very clear detail earlier in the thread, so I'll refer you to those posts, unless there was something specific you needed answered.

Wishing you the best of luck, and I hope to see you in next year's M1 class!

Reactions: 1 users
i interviewed oct 12th and still waiting to hear back. Do you know when we should her back by?

Only God knows. They couldn’t even give us an estimate. But good news is they’re giving out rejections too so no news is good news. But I haven’t heard of anyone reporting a hold/waitlist so that leaves me wondering if that’s where we fall..

Interviewed late October, how likely is it I'll get something before December 3rd?

If you’re trying to figure out if you should take another interview date or not, take the other interview bc nothing is guaranteed imo. If it’s for a deposit for an acceptance remember those you can get back if you withdraw before April 30th (most of the time). Otherwise the date is oddly specific for no reason

let's try this again. today is the day

I have a feeling today is not the day. historically, decision waves were sent out once a month (between first and second week of each month), and given that decisions were already out on 11/5, i don't expect anything until early december. with that being said, I am now tossing my laptop in the trash

Reactions: 2 users
Guys i was forwarded to prelim review. Does that mean I meet all the requirements, classes and letters? No decision yet. Complete 08/7

Guys i was forwarded to prelim review. Does that mean I meet all the requirements, classes and letters? No decision yet. Complete 08/7

It would make sense that everyone gets reviewed. Otherwise it would be fraudulent to take our money without looking at our apps

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling today is not the day. historically, decision waves were sent out once a month (between first and second week of each month), and given that decisions were already out on 11/5, i don't expect anything until early december. with that being said, I am now tossing my laptop in the trash

Last edited:
Seems like they're really behind compared to other schools with sending out IIs and reviewing apps; I'm not sure anyone who applied in August or later has heard from Central yet. Maybe their admissions is just slow in general.
Don't they do IS first as well?

I'm in-state and I'm not sure. There were a few OOS people who posted in this thread earlier about getting IIs, so I want to say no, but idk.....
Ohhh I see. Welp, maybe CMU is just really slow ahaha.

Seems like they're really behind compared to other schools with sending out IIs and reviewing apps; I'm not sure anyone who applied in August or later has heard from Central yet. Maybe their admissions is just slow in general.

seems like it. Or, again, this could be a sampling bias this cycle and just so it happens that not many students are reporting on here like other schools. I'm personally waiting on post-interview decision and it seems like last year they were very quick about letting people know what their status is after an interview but not this cycle. so everything about this cycle sucks lol

seems like it. Or, again, this could be a sampling bias this cycle and just so it happens that not many students are reporting on here like other schools. I'm personally waiting on post-interview decision and it seems like last year they were very quick about letting people know what their status is after an interview but not this cycle. so everything about this cycle sucks lol

FWIW during the interview process they made it very clear not to expect a decision anytime soon. They admit exactly 104 students a year (for their small group purposes) and said that it would take some time for decisions to be made post interview.

Hey how did a rent car cost you guys in total ? Thinking of getting one from Lansing to campus

Interviewed on 11/16 and it sounded like there would be a decision made on our application by "the end of the semester". A couple other applicants and I discussed it and came away with a "plausible" feeling about it. The 11/16 interview was the last of interview for the pre-winter break session so perhaps they're looking to catch up on application/interview reviews to know where they are in terms of acceptances.

Interviewed mid October and got an acceptance today!

Just withdrew before my interview in Jan., hope the extra slot gets filled!

I was complete in mid July and didn't hear back till early November. So don't let the silence get to you too much :thumbup:

Last edited:
Just withdrew before my interview in Jan., hope the extra slot gets filled!

I was complete in mid July and didn't hear back till early November. So don't let the silence get to you too much :thumbup:
Im just glad that no news isn’t bad news. I’ve been complete since 7/22 and I haven’t heard anything yet lol.

Are there any Canadians on here applying to CMU and still waiting for a II? I know that in the previous years CMU usually took few Canadians.

The "Admission Offer" tab isn't a binding commitment to matriculate, right? I accepted because it said that we only have 10 days to accept the offer before they rescind the offer, but I have preference to attend elsewhere pending interviews and financial aid offers.

The "Admission Offer" tab isn't a binding commitment to matriculate, right? I accepted because it said that we only have 10 days to accept the offer before they rescind the offer, but I have preference to attend elsewhere pending interviews and financial aid offers.

Nothing is binding until you make your final decision April 30th

Nothing is binding until you make your final decision April 30th

Even if you do make that "final" decision by April 30, if you are pulled off a waitlist for a different school after the April 30 deadline - you can still accept that other school's acceptance, and withdraw from CMU. (i.e. CMU has accepted you now. MSU accepts you on June 1... you can withdraw from CMU, and go to MSU. Just an example, not saying to go so MSU... Fire Up CHIPS!!!).

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone know if there has been waitlist/hold decisions given out yet? or post II-rejections?

does anyone know if there has been waitlist/hold decisions given out yet? or post II-rejections?
Posted earlier in this thread:
Just took an R. Interviewed 9/28 OOS. Kind of bummed as I loved the school and town. C'est la vie no hard feelings good luck to the rest of you I wish the best!
As for waitlists, I have not seen that yet. You might get an answer by calling though.
My thoughts are that if you interviewed early and still have not heard back, you are still be considered, but are being held out a bit for comparison to more applicants. I'm in the same boat as you.

upload_2018-11-30_19-18-45.png

Reactions: 4 users
Are there any Canadians on here applying to CMU and still waiting for a II? I know that in the previous years CMU usually took few Canadians.

CMU definitely accepts Canadians every year, hang in there!

just send me that waitlist email already

Patience is a virtue.

——————————————​

Just to reiterate to those who are new here, I’m a 3rd year CMed student. Just finishing the CCC program. Let me know if you have any questions. Asking on the forum helps everyone - but I’m perfectly fine with DM’s as well.

Best wishes to everyone applying!

Reactions: 3 users
Been complete since mid August and still no II response...anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 9 users