2018-2019 Central Michigan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who is trying to take one for the team and call them to ask about their meeting schedule

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Who is trying to take one for the team and call them to ask about their meeting schedule
Lmao you do it today and I promise I'll do it next time

I’d recommend against that. It won’t do much other than let them know you’re a bit angsty... which may or may not be a trait they are looking for. They may also not release the meeting schedule - and if they do tell you, and you don’t hear back after the meeting... you’ll likely need more of that aforementioned vodka than you would have not knowing the schedule...

Just my two cents.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’d recommend against that. It won’t do much other than let them know you’re a bit angsty... which may or may not be a trait they are looking for. They may also not release the meeting schedule - and if they do tell you, and you don’t hear back after the meeting... you’ll likely need more of that aforementioned vodka than you would have not knowing the schedule...

Just my two cents.

good point. I just wish they would have sent out the hold/waitlist emails already so id know whether my liver will suffer during the gruesome wait until april

Reactions: 1 user
good point. I just wish they would have sent out the hold/waitlist emails already so id know whether my liver will suffer during the gruesome wait until april

I feel your pain, friend - I was complete in August, didn’t get my II until January and wasn’t accepted until the end of March.

I would also agree with star.buck about not calling the school to ask about ADCOM meeting dates. Despite what older folks might tell you about “showing interest” and “knocking on doors” (the fight I got into with my family about why I wasn’t calling every school on my list daily reached some truly epic proportions right around November of my applicant year, LOL), in my three years of interviewing experience, I have yet to see a case where such calls were taken positively. (And yes, I did resist the temptation.)

I know it’s all too easy for folks on the other side of the doors to be sanguine about preaching patience, but really, it’s the best advice we can give you.

That, or buy stock in Diageo.

As always, best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 5 users
upload_2018-12-3_18-28-36.png

Me rn

Reactions: 10 users
Cheer up, pal (palette). You have an acceptance! Celebrate! 60% of our contemporaries will have to go through this again. So no matter what, you’ll be delving your own advice on patience and staying on course next year!

Oh I am grateful for sure. Just sending some good laughter your way :D

Reactions: 1 users
Stressing out here, interviewed 10/12 LM 68 IS what are the chances I'm getting the R?

same boat. I think it's unlikely that we will get an R. usually they put people on either hold or waitlist, and their hold is basically an R.

I feel your pain, friend - I was complete in August, didn’t get my II until January and wasn’t accepted until the end of March.

I would also agree with star.buck about not calling the school to ask about ADCOM meeting dates. Despite what older folks might tell you about “showing interest” and “knocking on doors” (the fight I got into with my family about why I wasn’t calling every school on my list daily reached some truly epic proportions right around November of my applicant year, LOL), in my three years of interviewing experience, I have yet to see a case where such calls were taken positively. (And yes, I did resist the temptation.)

I know it’s all too easy for folks on the other side of the doors to be sanguine about preaching patience, but really, it’s the best advice we can give you.

That, or buy stock in Diageo.

As always, best of luck!

you mentioned you got your II in january and wasn't accepted until march. Were you initially placed on waitlist or did you not hear at all until the acceptance?

EDIT: nvm i think you meant the invite was received in january, not the actual interview date.

Members don't see this ad :)
same boat. I think it's unlikely that we will get an R. usually they put people on either hold or waitlist, and their hold is basically an R.

The hold is not a rejection... if they want to reject you they send an outright rejection. I’ve known people to go from hold to waitlist to acceptance.

I know you’re stressed, I know you want an answer... now would be a great time to work on HOW you handle that stress and the unknown. In my opinion, I think you can do this better and healthier - in a way that helps those around you, rather than spreads the stress and anxiety.

Learning these types of stress management skills will help you in the future too... when you’re waiting for school exam results, or the sometimes 6 weeks for board exam results, or your patient’s test results... or whatever...

Don’t let them see you stress like this, or even sweat a drop. Super easy to say on my side of things - and I’m working on it myself. I don’t want to see you (or anyone!) give themselves GI ulcers over stress. I really don’t like seeing one person’s stress spread and eek into other people either... stress is usually a poison, and will only cause harm.

I do wish you the very best, and recommend a cup of ginger tea . Hope EVERYONE hears back soon!

Stressing out here, interviewed 10/12 LM 68 IS what are the chances I'm getting the R?

Tons of people are still waiting - definitely not just you. It’s unusual for people to have to wait this long - but you’re NOT alone.

My LM was just over a 60 , also in state... they’re just numbers, based on trends - the value falls off when you consider individual applicants and experiences.

you mentioned you got your II in january and wasn't accepted until march. Were you initially placed on waitlist or did you not hear at all until the acceptance?

EDIT: nvm i think you meant the invite was received in january, not the actual interview date.

Actually, both the invitation and the interview happened in January - got the II first week back after New Year, and interviewed end of the month. I was “priority waitlist” (which they explained as “we don’t have a seat for you this moment, but you will get a seat before the 30 April regular waitlist opens”) on 9 February and accepted 23 March.

To the point, though: waiting is misery, but it’s part of the process, and worry does not make the time pass any faster and certainly not more pleasantly. Honestly, I mostly tried to forget I was even in the application process during that waiting period - I read books, took up hobbies, learned a few new things totally outside of medicine. You might consider the same.

Hope this helps!

The hold is not a rejection... if they want to reject you they send an outright rejection. I’ve known people to go from hold to waitlist to acceptance.

I know you’re stressed, I know you want an answer... now would be a great time to work on HOW you handle that stress and the unknown. In my opinion, I think you can do this better and healthier - in a way that helps those around you, rather than spreads the stress and anxiety.

Learning these types of stress management skills will help you in the future too... when you’re waiting for school exam results, or the sometimes 6 weeks for board exam results, or your patient’s test results... or whatever...

Don’t let them see you stress like this, or even sweat a drop. Super easy to say on my side of things - and I’m working on it myself. I don’t want to see you (or anyone!) give themselves GI ulcers over stress. I really don’t like seeing one person’s stress spread and eek into other people either... stress is usually a poison, and will only cause harm.

I do wish you the very best, and recommend a cup of ginger tea . Hope EVERYONE hears back soon!

You’re gonna be a great doc btw. Thank you for that great advice really appreciate it! I’m not really stressed about A/R; I am mostly anticipating a WL/hold at this point, but it’s more of wanting a confirmation of what they decided so that I may get going with my next step. I took the mcat under extremely short time crunch and was very unprepared. 2 schools waitlisted me so far and they both are willing to consider additional MCAT scores if they’re available before April. The only thing holding me back from beginning to prep for it is that I still haven’t heard from CMU so I’m justifying my laziness with that. so a decision would be nice, although I understand that’s life :D

You’re gonna be a great doc btw. Thank you for that great advice really appreciate it! I’m not really stressed about A/R; I am mostly anticipating a WL/hold at this point, but it’s more of wanting a confirmation of what they decided so that I may get going with my next step. I took the mcat under extremely short time crunch and was very unprepared. 2 schools waitlisted me so far and they both are willing to consider additional MCAT scores if they’re available before April. The only thing holding me back from beginning to prep for it is that I still haven’t heard from CMU so I’m justifying my laziness with that. so a decision would be nice, although I understand that’s life :D

I appreciate the compliment! I only have that kind of advice and such because I've delt with my own struggles - and am continually working on improving my own reactions to things in life. I get your anxiousness, believe me I do.

You do have a DO acceptance in your bag... chasing a possible MD acceptance when you have a medical school acceptance may be a waste of precious time - unless you really don't like the DO school where you were accepted or are wanting a highly competitive residency where you may have a little more struggle with a DO degree.

All that said, I did talk to the office of student affairs today regarding the longer than usual wait that many of you have on decisions after an interview. They didn't have any specific insight, but offered that there is likely a backlog (perhaps due to holidays as well as other things they didn't specify). She did offer to pass the anxiousness regarding these waits on to the ADCOM - and I left that up to her. So... the ADCOM will likely now be aware of your and others stresses now - without you having to risk looking antsy and impatient in their eyes directly. (I'm a student already - lol, I can be as twitchy as I want to be now!! haha!!!)

CMU has a limited number of people on the ADCOM, and they look at each application holistically. It'd be easier and faster for them to just compare everyone by numbers, looking at test scores and grades - but that doesn't lend to the well rounded classes with lots of life experiences that CMU strives to achieve. So... the cost of having a holistic approach to your application - is time.

Hang in there.

Reactions: 5 users
or are wanting a highly competitive residency where you may have a little more struggle with a DO degree.

yes! although MSUCOM is a great school, jumping through less hoops and not having to take 2 diff board exams would be nice.

All that said, I did talk to the office of student affairs today regarding the longer than usual wait that many of you have on decisions after an interview. They didn't have any specific insight, but offered that there is likely a backlog (perhaps due to holidays as well as other things they didn't specify). She did offer to pass the anxiousness regarding these waits on to the ADCOM - and I left that up to her. So... the ADCOM will likely now be aware of your and others stresses now - without you having to risk looking antsy and impatient in their eyes directly. (I'm a student already - lol, I can be as twitchy as I want to be now!! haha!!!).

Wonderful, thank you for all your help!

Current Canadian, 4th year CMED student here. Was waitlisted until a month before classes started. Keep ur heads up.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm not here pretty often but has anyone who interviewed on 11/16 hear back at all?

I interviewed on September 28th. Still haven't heard anything from them, no changes on the portal status.

On a side note, I've been engrossed in Red Dead Redemption 2 lately to kill free time off of work... and Dutch's message is so relevant in this thread nowadays: "You have got to keep faith!"

I wonder what led to this change of not releasing statuses. Last year they were so good at it that they emailed applicants with their committee meeting dates

I’m switching to responses of posts with memes... it amuses me.

I wonder what led to this change of not releasing statuses. Last year they were so good at it that they emailed applicants with their committee meeting dates

upload_2018-12-7_18-23-18.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-7_18-23-3.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-7_18-23-3.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 75
@star.buck does CMED close for winter break on the 12th as the university?

Any news?

Looks like the main campus is open until December 21, and then reopens on January 2nd. This doesn't mean that's also the hours of the admissions committee... but I don't have than information. Hope this helps - and that you ALL hear back this week!! Hang in there!

Also... sorry, LOL. I know that my posting something this morning probably gave a bunch of your hearts a momentary arrhythmia - due to the hopes of interview results coming out this week. Hang in there!!

Reactions: 2 users
Last year they got replies on the Wednesday before winter break so the equivalent of tomorrow. Tomorrow might be the day if that means anything

Fingers crossed. I wonder when last interview they had was/if they’re having any other ones before break

No more interviews this year... starting back up in January.
Do you think everybody that has interviewed so far would hear a decision before they start up interviews again? Like, do they compare this first half of applicants within just this group or are some held out without a decision of A, W, or R until the next year too?

Last edited:
Do you think everybody that has interviewed so far would hear a decision before they start up interviews again? Like, do they compare this first half of applicants within just this group or are some held out without a decision of A, W, or R until the next year too?
I interviewed at their last date (11/16) and they said we would know by the end of the semester... it seems possible because they have a month or so to focus solely on reviewing applicants, but doesn't seem realistic given the assumed backlog based on SDN

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

I believe everyone should hear back within a week or so, based on what people have said they were told at their interview days. Some will be waitlist and hold most likely - from past year’s trends. They don’t appear to compare applicants based on first half / second half of the season...

I hope this answers your question!

I believe everyone should hear back within a week or so, based on what people have said they were told at their interview days. Some will be waitlist and hold most likely - from past year’s trends. They don’t appear to compare applicants based on first half / second half of the season...

I hope this answers your question!
Is the adcom meeting today???

Lmao don’t worry I’ve been here since 10/12, I called they said if you haven’t caught an R or W you’re still being considered for an A

Waitlists have been handed out??? this piece of info is a game changer

Interviewed 11/16, got acceptance call about 30 mins ago.

Reactions: 6 users