-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018-2019 Charles R Drew/UCLA
Started by Lawpy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Dang you all are stressing hard— can’t say I blame y’all though. The application process is never transparent enough. Just want to emphasize to you that many (as many as half) came off the waitlist and some of them even became Geffen scholars. My best advice to everyone is to continue any activities you’re apart of and if anything significant changes in your application update them.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Black_Wall_Street
Full Member
Dang you all are stressing hard— can’t say I blame y’all though. The application process is never transparent enough. Just want to emphasize to you that many (as many as half) came off the waitlist and some of them even became Geffen scholars. My best advice to everyone is to continue any activities you’re apart of and if anything significant changes in your application update them.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
The whole process is BS where we are simple tools to fulfill schools missions. Some people have spent their lives getting to this point and it feels as if our efforts are being disregarded.
This why i show no loyalty to schools.The whole process is BS where we are simple tools to fulfill schools missions. Some people have spent their lives getting to this point and it feels as if our efforts are being disregarded.
The whole process is BS where we are simple tools to fulfill schools missions. Some people have spent their lives getting to this point and it feels as if our efforts are being disregarded.
I feel empathy for those that feel this way, for sure. I realize that not having answers and being patient is hard. I also think it’s important to go into an app cycle realizing that obtaining a medical school seat is a privilege. Applying is voluntary and the priority of the schools aren’t the applicants but the patients.
Majority of the people applying felt exactly as you do. That’s why it’s important for us to keep moving forward and moving into positions of power so that we can make the change we want to see. As minorities this process has been hard from beginning and your feelings are valid. I will tell you that BS continues to happen in medical school, but you will get stronger.
Majority of the people applying felt exactly as you do. That’s why it’s important for us to keep moving forward and moving into positions of power so that we can make the change we want to see. As minorities this process has been hard from beginning and your feelings are valid. I will tell you that BS continues to happen in medical school, but you will get stronger.
Can I just say, yes the entire process is insanely unpredictable. However I feel like something is totally off with Drew. First off all, acceptances are sent out last minute and when students call they are given conflicting information that no one knows what to believe. The communication on their end is just totally disorganized.
Is there generally very little WL movement at this school? Seems like things could be different this year with the change in traffic rules.If you were WL id put my energy in other schools
The class is so small .Seems like most people are on the WL. Odds dont look good.Is there generally very little WL movement at this school? Seems like things could be different this year with the change in traffic rules.
Remember Who
Full Member
I haven't received a WL email 🙁
edit: received
edit: received
Last edited:
I'd say there were about 18-20 accepted students presentDid a lot of the accepted people go to second look?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You will still be an excellent Physician at the end of the day [emoji1548][emoji817]Seems like the class is already full. Damn thank God this was not my only hope. I can't imagine waiting on Drew like this and being kept in the dark throughout the process
Black_Wall_Street
Full Member
Seems like the class is already full. Damn thank God this was not my only hope. I can't imagine waiting on Drew like this and being kept in the dark throughout the process
Class was full when they released acceptances.
So i guess that's a wrap folks
Usually, there is waitlist movement in early May.
So i guess that's a wrap folks
Not til the fat lady sings
Based on previous threads, there is always movement after the 30th. I know a handful of students from second look that recently decided to commit elsewhere. It's just waiting for Drew to take next steps to select and offer those seats. Hoping good news for you all!So i guess that's a wrap folks
Remember Who
Full Member
Got off the waitlist!! I'm in guys!!
Remember Who
Full Member
Phone call!A moment ago
Congrats! Did you find out via phone or email?
Black_Wall_Street
Full Member
Got off the waitlist!! I'm in guys!!
Stats. Interview date? Demographics?
Just got the acceptance call! Five days to make a decision. Kind of freaking out over here!
Congrats!! You deserve it!!
Congrats!! You deserve it!!
Thank you! Completely unexpected. I hope you get good news soon as well!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Considering it’s so recent, can we hold this acceptance and the one we pte? Or is it 5 days to choose only 1 school period?Just got the acceptance call! Five days to make a decision. Kind of freaking out over here!
Considering it’s so recent, can we hold this acceptance and the one we pte? Or is it 5 days to choose only 1 school period?
You can hold Drew and the school where you already selected PTE for five days. After 5 days, you'll need to make a decision and go back down to one PTE, either Drew or your current school. This is my understanding anyway. And I imagine it's school specific. Another school that pulls you off the waitlist may give you longer than five days to decide.
Received my financial aid estimate from Geffen, and it was pretty disappointing. Of all my acceptances, including 3 other UCs, it was the least generous in terms of need (or merit)-based aid. I'm not sure if this is due to being accepted off the waitlist, or just that DGSOM funnels most of their money toward Geffen scholarships instead of need-based aid for students with low SES. I love this program, but will be withdrawing. Hopefully my spot goes to one of you waiting!!
Last edited:
Received my financial aid estimate from Geffen, and it was pretty disappointing. Of all my acceptances, including 3 other UCs, it was the least generous in terms of need (or merit)-based aid. I'm not sure if this is due to being accepted off the waitlist, or just that DGSOM funnels most of their money toward Geffen scholarships instead of need-based aid for students with low SES. I love this program, but will be withdrawing. Hopefully my spot goes to one of you waiting!!
The Geffen scholarship is completely separate and was created from a fund of 100 mil and then an additional 200 mil to help students graduate debt free. The Geffen scholarship should not have an effect on any of the other aid is what I'm saying. The UCs are relatively cheap, but free money is always a bonus. May have more to do with being on the WL.
The Geffen scholarship is completely separate and was created from a fund of 100 mil and then an additional 200 mil to help students graduate debt free. The Geffen scholarship should not have an effect on any of the other aid is what I'm saying. The UCs are relatively cheap, but free money is always a bonus. May have more to do with being on the WL.
In terms of Geffen scholarship, that makes sense that it's a separate pot of money. I guess since the UCs are all part of the same public school system, I was expecting similar need-based aid, but there's a 15K difference, which is pretty significant IMO. But either way I'm honored to have been accepted and a bit bummed to turn it down, but it just doesn't makes sense for me. Crossing my fingers for you!
In terms of Geffen scholarship, that makes sense that it's a separate pot of money. I guess since the UCs are all part of the same public school system, I was expecting similar need-based aid, but there's a 15K difference, which is pretty significant IMO. But either way I'm honored to have been accepted and a bit bummed to turn it down, but it just doesn't makes sense for me. Crossing my fingers for you!
Thank you!!
Yes, definitely do what's best for you overall!! I used to think the same thing about the UCs, but their money is mostly separate. I know people who took one UC fin aid offer to another UC and the administration refused to even look at it. Can hurt to ask though I guess.
medlifeis4me
New Member
The Geffen scholarship is completely separate and was created from a fund of 100 mil and then an additional 200 mil to help students graduate debt free. The Geffen scholarship should not have an effect on any of the other aid is what I'm saying. The UCs are relatively cheap, but free money is always a bonus. May have more to do with being on the WL.
Have any accepted Drew students actually been notified/awarded the Geffen scholarship yet this cycle?
Yep, spoke to a couple people at revisit day that had been given geffens and were deciding against other substantial offersHave any accepted Drew students actually been notified/awarded the Geffen scholarship yet this cycle?
Hopefully_Dr._Sam
New Member
Hi everyone! I will be applying to Drew this summer and was wondering if you had any tips for me in applying to this school. I am an OOS URM engineering graduate with 3.5 GPA, and I will be retaking the MCAT this coming July. Should I even bother applying since I'm OOS or would I still have a shot if I submit early in June? I have very strong volunteer and leadership experiences as well.
Hi everyone! I will be applying to Drew this summer and was wondering if you had any tips for me in applying to this school. I am an OOS URM engineering graduate with 3.5 GPA, and I will be retaking the MCAT this coming July. Should I even bother applying since I'm OOS or would I still have a shot if I submit early in June? I have very strong volunteer and leadership experiences as well.
Submitting in June depends on what your old MCAT is as you won't have another score until August.
My old MCAT is a 501. I know that Drew does a pre-secondary screening so I am not sure if I would even receive a secondary with that MCAT score. Big thing is I am from a suburban area in the Midwest and have no connections to the LA area, but I am wanting to work in underserved areas in the future and the Drew/UCLA program really seems like a great fit for me.
The cut off for Drew used to be the 51 percentile MCAT. IF that is still true and IF that is still the 51 percentile then you should make the cut of stats wise, at least.
Accepted today!!
I was thinking of applying to this program I have a 3.2 undergrad gpa and a 4.0 biomedical sciences masters gpa I got a 505 mcat. Would I have a shot? I have been trying to find average mcat scores to see where I fall and have not been able to find anything. Im a Texas resident and would like to go here but Id like to know more about my chances before dropping the money to apply.
Congrats! Mind sharing your stats? Feel free to PM me!Accepted today!!
Just withdrew my acceptance! The financial aid was not sufficient enough! Hope one of you gets my spot 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad