2018-2019 Charles R Drew/UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So exciting!!! CDU/UCLA is my ultimate dream school. You will hear a lot from me on this thread, I promise!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on my end. This thread has been dead quiet so I'm assuming no

Reactions: 1 users
what are the required letters of recommendation?

They usually send secondaries around mid-august, so don't stress for now :)

Reactions: 2 users
I was verified on the 10th of June, I think. Also, I was going to write in the David Geffen thread, Ive made a post here by an accident:)
Oh, so you received a secondary from Geffin, not DREW?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, all! I apologize if this is a stupid question, but how do you apply to this program? Do you do so through their website or through the general UCLA part on AMCAS and select Charles Drew? Thank you in advance!

Hello, all! I apologize if this is a stupid question, but how do you apply to this program? Do you do so through their website or through the general UCLA part on AMCAS and select Charles Drew? Thank you in advance!
It's its own school on the AMCAS primary called UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program. It is distinct from UCLA Geffen with a separate primary fee, letter assignments, secondary, etc. Select it as one of the programs that you designate your primary to be sent to and pay the $40 fee just like any other school

So only one person has recieved the secondary so far?

So only one person has recieved the secondary so far?

Perhaps people are mistaking Charles Drew UCLA for David Geffen UCLA?

However, if someone has actually received the secondary, it would be great if they could post the essay prompts!!

just spoke to admissions and they said they'll start prescreening primaries at the beginning of next week. so earliest we'll receive secondaries is next week!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone!

I am a fourth year, and will be taking time off to pursue my masters. If you have questions, feel free to reach out!

Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone!

I am a fourth year, and will be taking time off to pursue my masters. If you have questions, feel free to reach out!

Good luck!
are most applicants/matriculants from CA or region...also would u know any stats about the program and how diverse the cohort is

Hi everyone!

Good luck!
What is your master's in? Is it possible to pursue an MPP and graduate in 5 years?

are most applicants/matriculants from CA or region...also would u know any stats about the program and how diverse the cohort is

Actually the geographic make-up of each cohort varies from year to year. For the most part, there are a lot of students who are OOS, but there are a few who have ties to CA and the surrounding community.

What is your master's in? Is it possible to pursue an MPP and graduate in 5 years?
I will be pursuing an MPH in Community Health Sciences, but you can definitely get an MPP and graduate in 5 years. A lot of Drewins who've came before me have done just that!

I will be pursuing an MPH in Community Health Sciences, but you can definitely get an MPP and graduate in 5 years. A lot of Drewins who've came before me have done just that!

Very cool, thanks!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

I am a bit confused...I applied to both Geffen and Drew but am wondering why UCLA has two med schools? Sorry if someone has already answered this in another thread!

I am a bit confused...I applied to both Geffen and Drew but am wondering why UCLA has two med schools? Sorry if someone has already answered this in another thread!
This is what I've read...its a special program of ucla and the cohort is about 30 ppl. U do different clinical rotations at different locations specifically in underserved areas. U take classes with regular UCLA geffen students ur first two years tho

Hi everyone!

Good luck!

What is Drew looking for in applicants? how does it determine secondary eligibility? By number screen or holistic screen?

Also, what is the median/range of GPA & MCAT? Drew is not on MSAR, and I am skeptical that the Drew stats are within the UCLA stats. Thanks!

I called the Admissions office. They said they will begin sending secondaries this week. Here's to hoping

are there any qualifications or preferences for DREW applicants? Im OOS and also ORM and I thought I saw this school tends to be more focused towards URMs and serving the underserved communities (which I want to do)

Any secondary updates ? This is pretty late tbh for any school

I gave the school a call today, and was told that applications are still being screened. I was told that there is not a current date they could provide as to when secondaries would be sent out, as of now. But I imagine it might be soon, possibly next week.

I gave the school a call today, and was told that applications are still being screened. I was told that there is not a current date they could provide as to when secondaries would be sent out, as of now. But I imagine it might be soon, possibly next week.
Thank you for keeping us updated. It seems like all the schools that screen in CA this year are slow in sending out secondaries compared to previous years. The UCs, for example, have been mostly quiet this month based on the fewer number of people received secondaries (unless a large number did send out but just didnt get reported)

Does anyone know what their cutoff gpa/mcat is?
I don't think they have a strict gpa/mcat cutoff since their screen is mostly holistic one, although I would guess 3.0/500 like most other schools.

This thread has made my spirit sense the sketchiness of this school..

I will need proper reassurance in the near future

They usually have their first round of interviews around september 20th, but given they haven't sent secondaries yet, I am really wondering what the dates will be for interviews this year. I also hope that acceptance notifications wont be sent later than usual as well...

I plan on applying next cycle and have really been looking at this school. I’m a 1st generation Mexican and haven’t volunteered in a free cllinic that helps the underserved. Are my chances shot? I’m currently working full time as a behavior therapist with autistic children and will probably get an excellent LOR from my boss. I’m trying my best to find a volunteer clinic that I can help at on weekends

I grew up without health insurance and saw how it has impacted my family and really want to help th underserved in the future

I plan on applying next cycle and have really been looking at this school. I’m a 1st generation Mexican and haven’t volunteered in a free cllinic that helps the underserved. Are my chances shot? I’m currently working full time as a behavior therapist with autistic children and will probably get an excellent LOR from my boss. I’m trying my best to find a volunteer clinic that I can help at on weekends

I grew up without health insurance and saw how it has impacted my family and really want to help th underserved in the future
Take my 2 cents for a grain of salt. I think with your background your'e likely to get some love from them assuming your stats and other EC/Essays are on par.

Your on the right track but don't limit yourself to clinic work only with underserved. Non-clinical volunteering is just as important.

Has anyone received a secondary yet? Crazy that we're into September and still no secondaries.

I called today and they said they started sending out secondaries last week.

Is it worth applying as OOS? I recall noticing some unfavorable statistics of their class profile