-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018-2019 Charles R Drew/UCLA
Started by Lawpy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So exciting!!! CDU/UCLA is my ultimate dream school. You will hear a lot from me on this thread, I promise!
Hey! Have they already sent out the secondaires?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They usually send secondaries around mid-august, so don't stress for now 🙂
They usually send secondaries around mid-august, so don't stress for now 🙂
plzletmeintomedschool
Full Member
Secondary recieved!
me tooSecondary recieved!
can you post the questions please?me too
When were you verified? Thanks 🙂me too
I was verified on the 10th of June, I think. Also, I was going to write in the David Geffen thread, Ive made a post here by an accident🙂When were you verified? Thanks 🙂
Oh, so you received a secondary from Geffin, not DREW?I was verified on the 10th of June, I think. Also, I was going to write in the David Geffen thread, Ive made a post here by an accident🙂
yeah, sorry for my mistakeOh, so you received a secondary from Geffin, not DREW?
premed1808
Full Member
Hello, all! I apologize if this is a stupid question, but how do you apply to this program? Do you do so through their website or through the general UCLA part on AMCAS and select Charles Drew? Thank you in advance!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's its own school on the AMCAS primary called UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program. It is distinct from UCLA Geffen with a separate primary fee, letter assignments, secondary, etc. Select it as one of the programs that you designate your primary to be sent to and pay the $40 fee just like any other schoolHello, all! I apologize if this is a stupid question, but how do you apply to this program? Do you do so through their website or through the general UCLA part on AMCAS and select Charles Drew? Thank you in advance!
So only one person has recieved the secondary so far?
Perhaps people are mistaking Charles Drew UCLA for David Geffen UCLA?
However, if someone has actually received the secondary, it would be great if they could post the essay prompts!!
Only the chosen one. We are not worthySo only one person has recieved the secondary so far?
Anyone receive a secondary yet?
vidiviciveni
Full Member
just spoke to admissions and they said they'll start prescreening primaries at the beginning of next week. so earliest we'll receive secondaries is next week!
Hi everyone!
I am a fourth year, and will be taking time off to pursue my masters. If you have questions, feel free to reach out!
Good luck!
I am a fourth year, and will be taking time off to pursue my masters. If you have questions, feel free to reach out!
Good luck!
are most applicants/matriculants from CA or region...also would u know any stats about the program and how diverse the cohort isHi everyone!
I am a fourth year, and will be taking time off to pursue my masters. If you have questions, feel free to reach out!
Good luck!
What is your master's in? Is it possible to pursue an MPP and graduate in 5 years?Hi everyone!
I am a fourth year, and will be taking time off to pursue my masters. If you have questions, feel free to reach out!
Good luck!
are most applicants/matriculants from CA or region...also would u know any stats about the program and how diverse the cohort is
Actually the geographic make-up of each cohort varies from year to year. For the most part, there are a lot of students who are OOS, but there are a few who have ties to CA and the surrounding community.
I will be pursuing an MPH in Community Health Sciences, but you can definitely get an MPP and graduate in 5 years. A lot of Drewins who've came before me have done just that!What is your master's in? Is it possible to pursue an MPP and graduate in 5 years?
I will be pursuing an MPH in Community Health Sciences, but you can definitely get an MPP and graduate in 5 years. A lot of Drewins who've came before me have done just that!
Very cool, thanks!
Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
I am a bit confused...I applied to both Geffen and Drew but am wondering why UCLA has two med schools? Sorry if someone has already answered this in another thread!
This is what I've read...its a special program of ucla and the cohort is about 30 ppl. U do different clinical rotations at different locations specifically in underserved areas. U take classes with regular UCLA geffen students ur first two years thoI am a bit confused...I applied to both Geffen and Drew but am wondering why UCLA has two med schools? Sorry if someone has already answered this in another thread!
Hi everyone!
I am a fourth year, and will be taking time off to pursue my masters. If you have questions, feel free to reach out!
Good luck!
What is Drew looking for in applicants? how does it determine secondary eligibility? By number screen or holistic screen?
Also, what is the median/range of GPA & MCAT? Drew is not on MSAR, and I am skeptical that the Drew stats are within the UCLA stats. Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nothing, but they gotta be coming soon!any updates on secondaries?
Secondary? Anyone?
are there any qualifications or preferences for DREW applicants? Im OOS and also ORM and I thought I saw this school tends to be more focused towards URMs and serving the underserved communities (which I want to do)
Thank you for keeping us updated. It seems like all the schools that screen in CA this year are slow in sending out secondaries compared to previous years. The UCs, for example, have been mostly quiet this month based on the fewer number of people received secondaries (unless a large number did send out but just didnt get reported)I gave the school a call today, and was told that applications are still being screened. I was told that there is not a current date they could provide as to when secondaries would be sent out, as of now. But I imagine it might be soon, possibly next week.
Thunderdoc
Full Member
Does anyone know what their cutoff gpa/mcat is?
I don't think they have a strict gpa/mcat cutoff since their screen is mostly holistic one, although I would guess 3.0/500 like most other schools.Does anyone know what their cutoff gpa/mcat is?
Thunderdoc
Full Member
Thank you! 🙂I don't think they have a strict gpa/mcat cutoff since their screen is mostly holistic one, although I would guess 3.0/500 like most other schools.
This thread has made my spirit sense the sketchiness of this school..
I will need proper reassurance in the near future
+1 for this feeling
They usually have their first round of interviews around september 20th, but given they haven't sent secondaries yet, I am really wondering what the dates will be for interviews this year. I also hope that acceptance notifications wont be sent later than usual as well...
I plan on applying next cycle and have really been looking at this school. I’m a 1st generation Mexican and haven’t volunteered in a free cllinic that helps the underserved. Are my chances shot? I’m currently working full time as a behavior therapist with autistic children and will probably get an excellent LOR from my boss. I’m trying my best to find a volunteer clinic that I can help at on weekends
I grew up without health insurance and saw how it has impacted my family and really want to help th underserved in the future
I grew up without health insurance and saw how it has impacted my family and really want to help th underserved in the future
Take my 2 cents for a grain of salt. I think with your background your'e likely to get some love from them assuming your stats and other EC/Essays are on par.I plan on applying next cycle and have really been looking at this school. I’m a 1st generation Mexican and haven’t volunteered in a free cllinic that helps the underserved. Are my chances shot? I’m currently working full time as a behavior therapist with autistic children and will probably get an excellent LOR from my boss. I’m trying my best to find a volunteer clinic that I can help at on weekends
I grew up without health insurance and saw how it has impacted my family and really want to help th underserved in the future
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your on the right track but don't limit yourself to clinic work only with underserved. Non-clinical volunteering is just as important.I plan on applying next cycle and have really been looking at this school. I’m a 1st generation Mexican and haven’t volunteered in a free cllinic that helps the underserved. Are my chances shot? I’m currently working full time as a behavior therapist with autistic children and will probably get an excellent LOR from my boss. I’m trying my best to find a volunteer clinic that I can help at on weekends
I grew up without health insurance and saw how it has impacted my family and really want to help th underserved in the future
No news here. Hopefully we hear from them by end of this weekHas anyone received a secondary yet? Crazy that we're into September and still no secondaries.