2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First II of the cycle today!! Booked my interview for 11/6 @ KC and my airbnb!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
II scheduled for 11/6. Can't wait!

Reactions: 1 user
can any current (or very informed applicants) help shed some light on the major differences between the campuses? like major focuses/research opportunities? I can't find much through their site

Over in Joplin, one of the professors is actively working to connect us with MSSU (the undergrad in the area) to begin bench research opportunities. As for the focus of the campus, I can say with absolute certainty that the faculty and staff care very deeply about our well being and want us to be physically and mentally healthy enough to focus on school. The environment is so friendly and the school feels like a family! I am sure the KC campus has a similar focus/environment for their students but someone from KC would have to attest to that :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
can any current (or very informed applicants) help shed some light on the major differences between the campuses? like major focuses/research opportunities? I can't find much through their site

Similar environment as described above. Perhaps a little less tight-knit since our campus contains about 100 more students per class (we have a huge student body). Joplin is probably easier to get research at since we have to compete with two other med schools in KC for research, whereas Joplin is the only one in the area. It can be done though, and I went more into detail in one or two other posts on this thread. Feel free to ask if you have more specific questions! When I was interviewing two years ago, it was made out that Joplin was more focused on rural practice due to its location. Not sure if this is still emphasized as much, since we virtually have access to all the same rotation sites now. KC is also home to a higher amount of the clinical faculty, but you can still utilize them from Joplin. Other than that, they keep things as equal as possible, with the main differences being the geographic location.

Reactions: 2 users
Interview on 10/30 and was wondering if anyone could offer any insight on how to prepare for the interview format? since it seems pretty non-traditional

Interview on 10/30 and was wondering if anyone could offer any insight on how to prepare for the interview format? since it seems pretty non-traditional
In all honesty, it's not as scary as it sounds. Personally I don't think you could really prepare for it. They're really trying to get to know you beyond what's on your application and the "typical" interview questions. I actually had a lot of fun during the interviews as it was super conversational and relaxed. That's all I could tell you while abiding by the non-disclosure agreement. Hope this helps though!

Don't stress. KCU screens heavily pre-secondary AND pre-interview. If you got an interview, they want you. Just be yourself, be polite, don't say anything too crazy, and confirm to them that you belong here.

Reactions: 6 users
so if we happen to have scheduled an interview for a thursday in KC, do we get BBQ for lunch?

so if we happen to have scheduled an interview for a thursday in KC, do we get BBQ for lunch?

I'm thinking maybe a prime rib with grilled asparagus

Members don't see this ad :)
We got to vulture Fridays interviewees food. Joplins mac and cheese is amazing.

I want to submit my secondary today, but my answers to the essay questions are all around 250 words. I believe I answered the prompts to the best of my ability, and adding more would just sound redundant. Do you guys think this is bad? Thanks.

I want to submit my secondary today, but my answers to the essay questions are all around 250 words. I believe I answered the prompts to the best of my ability, and adding more would just sound redundant. Do you guys think this is bad? Thanks.

Nope, got an interview and my answers were of similar length or shorter.

I have no idea how to prep for this interview!! Do they ask you traditional questions like the whys? Why DO/Physician/KCU? or is it more ethical/situational/personal? I just want to know what to say without sounding rehearsed (which requires a lot of rehearsal!)

I have no idea how to prep for this interview!! Do they ask you traditional questions like the whys? Why DO/Physician/KCU? or is it more ethical/situational/personal? I just want to know what to say without sounding rehearsed (which requires a lot of rehearsal!)
You really don't have to prep for this and I really mean that. As someone who went through this, I did not feel unprepared at all. It was really not like a traditional interview but I felt that was a good thing. You will be fine as long you are respectful, honest, and professional. I promise it's not bad. You sound very tensed but please try not to be and this is coming from a generally anxious person. Once again, it will be alright. :)

Nobody wants you to go on adding words just to fluff it up. If you answered the question, and said everything you want to say, you're fine.

Same question earlier in the thread answered thoroughly. Scroll back a bit.

I'll be brutally honest with you - there is no useful research going on at the Kansas City campus (you can work with maybe one or two of the professors reliably, and it's not like their letters are going to help at all during the residency match). Moreover, the two academic MD school-affiliated hospital networks nearby (KUMC and UMKC) have not been kind to my classmates in terms of providing research opportunities. If you are looking for serious research, it is best to go to a city with more opportunities nearby the school.

And the situation is probably even worse in Joplin.

Last edited:
What are everyone's thoughts on expressing interest in one campus vs. another after initially having selected no preference in the primary application? Let's say after getting an II and doing more research/discovering that family are moving to one of the campus areas, I strongly feel one place would be a much better fit. Should I express that during the interview? Call beforehand or after and make a case for why I'd like to be at a certain campus? Express this in an email? Just wondering what an effective strategy would be.

What is the time frame in regards to refundable and/or non-refundable deposits here after being accepted?

What is the time frame in regards to refundable and/or non-refundable deposits here after being accepted?
I'm pretty sure deposits for all DO schools are non-refundable. I assume KCU follows AACOMAS traffic guidelines, which would mean that if you are accepted before October 15, then you have till December 14 to put down your deposit

I'm pretty sure deposits for all DO schools are non-refundable. I assume KCU follows AACOMAS traffic guidelines, which would mean that if you are accepted before October 15, then you have till December 14 to put down your deposit

What happens to post-October 15th acceptances? Is there a different deadline? Or at that point it's to each DO's school discretion?

okay cool, and how much is the deposit ?

okay cool, and how much is the deposit ?
They have an acceptance and a matriculation fee. Each are $1000 but I think only the acceptance is due by Dec 14th?

Anyone able to confirm?

Does anyone know what the wait time is approximately for II after secondary submittal?

Last edited:
They have an acceptance and a matriculation fee. Each are $1000 but I think only the acceptance is due by Dec 14th?

Anyone able to confirm?
Yep. The matriculation fee will be due much later, when you've likely made your final decision.

Submitted primary two weeks ago, and received confirmation that it was received. Total silence since then.

Does it usually take a long time to get a secondary from KCU? Do they pre-screen heavily?

Submitted primary two weeks ago, and received confirmation that it was received. Total silence since then.

Does it usually take a long time to get a secondary from KCU? Do they pre-screen heavily?

Yes x2

Anyone staying at Hotel 816 tomorrow for Thursday's interview?

Anyone staying at Hotel 816 tomorrow for Thursday's interview?
A couple of us are up at Hotel Phillips. I was at 816 but Phillips was only a little more and looked like the fanciest hotel I'll ever stay at in my life.

A couple of us are up at Hotel Phillips. I was at 816 but Phillips was only a little more and looked like the fanciest hotel I'll ever stay at in my life.

+1 for that fancy Phillips life :cool:

Hey guys,
For those who have interviewed-- what time did your morning interviews end? I am trying to book a flight and a little nervous about a 3:40 pm flight out of KC.
Thanks!

Interview scheduled in the afternoon session of 11/6. Hope to see you there : - )

Got a scholarship from them today... does anyone know the typical amounts they offer?

How many students are invited to each interview session?

Interviewing in Kansas City 10/24! Anyone else have the same day? Also this is my first time in KC and my flight gets in early the day before, any suggestions on things to do and see besides that bus tour mentioned earlier?

go to union station (which has science city and a giant dinosaur in front it) and from there you can walk to the war memorial and the shopping mall (forgetting what it's called) which is connected to the hallmark visitor center (pretty cool - can see the history of hallmark), sealife, and legoland. u can look up ahead of time the ticket prices, etc (hallmark is free!)

if you're into beers, the power and light district has pretty cool looking bars that you can visit at night

What are everyone's thoughts on expressing interest in one campus vs. another after initially having selected no preference in the primary application? Let's say after getting an II and doing more research/discovering that family are moving to one of the campus areas, I strongly feel one place would be a much better fit. Should I express that during the interview? Call beforehand or after and make a case for why I'd like to be at a certain campus? Express this in an email? Just wondering what an effective strategy would be.

I casually mentioned during my interview that I had developed a preference for the campus I interviewed at. My interviewer made a note of it and that's the campus I was accepted to!

It's always better to make your preference known than to act neutral and be disappointed if accepted to the other campus. I know in the past people have called to update admissions after having marked that they had no preference, but I'm not sure if this was pre- or post-interview. Either way, it can't hurt for them to have it on record that you are enthusiastic about one over the other for a concrete reason. Just be respectful and polite and you'll be fine (good rule in general;))