2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can current students comment on how much time is spent per week on OMM? Does this school have a large emphasis on this as compared to other DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Can current students comment on how much time is spent per week on OMM? Does this school have a large emphasis on this as compared to other DO schools?
Barely any. Lab runs for 2 hours, but we don't have it every week. We rarely have lectures, and they're mostly non-mandatory, so you don't have to go.

Reactions: 5 users
Guess I'm the token 25% not accepted :( Many things to be grateful for but none of them med school acceptances haha

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guess I'm the token 25% not accepted :( Many things to be grateful for but none of them med school acceptances haha
It sucks--I've been there. All I can say is try not to let your acceptance/lack of acceptance define you. Ultimately you are much greater than these ephemeral things. Keep working toward your goal. Best of luck for the rest of the cycle!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 10/18, not accepted ...guess it must be low stats and bc canadian. LizzyM 65

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to everyone accepted!!! Now come join the KCUCOM C/O 2023 fb page. There's only 33 of us there including administrators... it's pretty lonely... and no one has posted anything yet! :whistle:

Reactions: 5 users
It sucks--I've been there. All I can say is try not to let your acceptance/lack of acceptance define you. Ultimately you are much greater than these ephemeral things. Keep working toward your goal. Best of luck for the rest of the cycle!!!
Thanks, pal! Happened to get an acceptance to another school like 10 min after I posted that so it's been quite the day

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks, pal! Happened to get an acceptance to another school like 10 min after I posted that so it's been quite the day

Ha! well, my statement still stands, but I must add congratulations!

Reactions: 2 users
Im 99.99% going with DMU, but i wont hear from KC for like two weeks. Amazing school though KCU is one of the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all who were accepted. Sending positive thoughts to those waiting for positive news. Keep your head up.

frequent thread follower, first time poster. Accepted to Kansas City campus!! Interviewed on 10/18! Thank you to everyone on this forum for all the tips and advice! See you all on campus.

And for those agonizing about hearing back from schools, keep your head up! Putting positive energy out into the universe will reward you with positive results for yourself!

Reactions: 9 users
Barely any. Lab runs for 2 hours, but we don't have it every week. We rarely have lectures, and they're mostly non-mandatory, so you don't have to go.
That is so sad to hear. i thought they were supposed to have 3 hrs every week of OMM?

From what I hear you get out what you put into it.
I mean yeah, I think that is for almost everything in medical school but it's just disappointing that it isn't as integral as they mentioned at interviews

I mean yeah, I think that is for almost everything in medical school but it's just disappointing that it isn't as integral as they mentioned at interviews

I mean, there is a ton of material to learn in two years. You will still have to learn and practice on your own (or with a group). You will still have to test out on all techniques. You now have two board exams to take (most likely), OMM, and still have to learn everything else that all med students have to learn. IMO, this is a very challenging curriculum for two years.

I mean, there is a ton of material to learn in two years. You will still have to learn and practice on your own (or with a group). You will still have to test out on all techniques. You now have two board exams to take (most likely), OMM, and still have to learn everything else that all med students have to learn. IMO, this is a very challenging curriculum for two years.
KCU's in particular or all DO programs overall?

at Joplin they told us it wasn't that emphasized. not by the staff but the students. They seemed to really enjoy how it is only a few hours per week since it allows you to study more for your exams.

Any and all DO programs.

Respectfully, if two hours has worked for the curriculum (that is one of the oldest), I am good. You are going to be wishing you had more time for other things (exams, boards, some time to get back to normal). That is what I hear and that is a common theme with students.

Reactions: 4 users
Any and all DO programs.

Respectfully, if two hours has worked for the curriculum (that is one of the oldest), I am good. You are going to be wishing you had more time for other things (exams, boards, some time to get back to normal). That is what I hear and that is a common theme with students.
True, and I guess with their pass rates it clearly isn't having any negative repercussions on the OMM portion of their boards.

And can someone refresh my memory from interviews. They said that the class structure is similar to a 9 to 5? I can't remember if it was DMU or KCU that said that

For those waitlisted, is it ideal to send a letter of intent once movement starts or as soon as you are waitlisted?

For those waitlisted, is it ideal to send a letter of intent once movement starts or as soon as you are waitlisted?

There are pros and cons to this approach. Search this site for more info and use your best judgement.

Last edited:
That is so sad to hear. i thought they were supposed to have 3 hrs every week of OMM?
From what I hear you get out what you put into it.
Respectfully, wait until you start medical school and then you'll realize the true value of time: it's precious. Yeah, you think you understand before you start-- we all did-- but you don't. We spend more than enough time on OMM, there are just certain weeks where we won't have lab or lecture because its a super busy week. Labs are 2 hours long when we have them, and lectures are at minimum an hour but have been 2 hours. You will definitely never feel like you need more OMM. Most weeks have lab, though. There are just some exceptions.

Reactions: 14 users
Respectfully, wait until you start medical school and then you'll realize the true value of time: it's precious. Yeah, you think you understand before you start-- we all did-- but you don't. We spend more than enough time on OMM, there are just certain weeks where we won't have lab or lecture because its a super busy week. Labs are 2 hours long when we have them, and lectures are at minimum an hour but have been 2 hours. You will definitely never feel like you need more OMM. Most weeks have lab, though. There are just some exceptions.

Say it louder for the people in the back.

Reactions: 10 users
True, and I guess with their pass rates it clearly isn't having any negative repercussions on the OMM portion of their boards.

And can someone refresh my memory from interviews. They said that the class structure is similar to a 9 to 5? I can't remember if it was DMU or KCU that said that

So the general class structure is lecture from 8-12 and labs in the afternoon. A lot of times, we'll have 2 hours of OMM and 2 hours of Anatomy back to back so on those days, we get out at 5. But it honestly just depends on the unit we're in and the day of the week and many days, we just have afternoons off to study.

:)

Look back at this comment after you start school, you’ll give yourself a laugh :)

Really though, time is the limiting factor in med school. There isn’t enough time to learn everything as well as you’d like. If there were any more OMM time, it would directly take away from studying your core class. I’m confident that when you’re in the middle of MSK, the LAST thing you’ll say to yourself is “gee, I wish I had more OMM to study right now”. I see where you’re coming from though and honestly, I had a similar mindset when I was in your position. Now that I’m on the other side... less OMM is nice :)

Reactions: 10 users
Can I get my acceptance rescinded if I get a few C's in my classes?

I don't want to say definitely not, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "definitely not." Usually, if you're still in school when accepted, it's on the condition that you don't fail anything. I think technically they reserve the right to rescind it depending on the language of your acceptance letter, but I was out of school for over a year when I got mine, so I can't speak to it really. I've never heard of that happening to anyone!

I would strongly advise you not to let your grades slip just because you are accepted. While it's unlikely, it could adversely affect you. Consider it your first lesson on professionalism ;)

Its not hard to slide with a B/B+.

No they won't. Don't aim for C's but they won't rescind because of that. They rescind for getting in trouble w/ the law and failing core classes that they require.

For those who got accepted, is the Acceptance and Matriculation fee due before December 14th? Or just the acceptance fee? I appreciate the heads up!

For those who got accepted, is the Acceptance and Matriculation fee due before December 14th? Or just the acceptance fee? I appreciate the heads up!
Just the Acceptance. The Matriculation is due March 1st I believe

Is the fee due on Dec 14th, or BY Dec 14th (so must pay on the 13th?) I may have to wait until the final day to put the deposit down, just want to make sure

Is the fee due on Dec 14th, or BY Dec 14th (so must pay on the 13th?) I may have to wait until the final day to put the deposit down, just want to make sure
December 14th. I held out as long as I could for my other acceptances while I was waiting to hear from KCU. Think I paid at like 9pm on December 14th.

If you want to be safe, just do it on the 13th.

December 14th. I held out as long as I could for my other acceptances while I was waiting to hear from KCU. Think I paid at like 9pm on December 14th.

If you want to be safe, just do it on the 13th.

Lol you love living life on the edge, huh? 9PM the day of.... that’s some courage right there. I’m so scared some glitch might happen I’m just going to pay on the 10th.

Lol you love living life on the edge, huh? 9PM the day of.... that’s some courage right there. I’m so scared some glitch might happen I’m just going to pay on the 10th.
Lol actually I'm normally that super anal person who does things super in advanced. I just knew KCU was going to let me know either the 14th or the 15th and I was praying it would be the 14th so I wouldn't lose money. Of course, it ended up being the 15th!

Lol actually I'm normally that super anal person who does things super in advanced. I just knew KCU was going to let me know either the 14th or the 15th and I was praying it would be the 14th so I wouldn't lose money. Of course, it ended up being the 15th!
Literally what I'm worried about! My fee for ARCOM is due on December 14th, which is ironically the day that KCU should let the 11/15 interviewee's know!

Literally what I'm worried about! My fee for ARCOM is due on December 14th, which is ironically the day that KCU should let the 11/15 interviewee's know!
Wait until like 5:05