2018-2019 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (Georgia Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone still waiting on interview invites? When do we expect the next round to go out?

Members don't see this ad.

I also asked about this yesterday, in case you were curious like me, and they said for those who pass the averages are above the national average. I asked about the retakers too and some 2nd years said usually they pass in order to go into third year. Half of the class also takes step, and those averages are also above national. They didn’t give me specific numbers for comlex but for step they said around 230-235

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Also, it nice that they shared that with you but still it’s from students who do not have official numbers and I which the school shared more specific numbers

Reactions: 1 user
Hey does anyone know if there’s any group for those accepted for South GA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still waiting on interview invites? When do we expect the next round to go out?

Seems like their cycle is about two weeks for everything after each II batch is sent out. For example, II batch is sent out (I got mine on a Friday afternoon) and then two weeks (actually more like ten days) later, you show up, and then two weeks later, you are usually notified if accepted. People usually interview on mondays and I think they send out IIs the proceeding Friday. The week in the middle I assume is reserved for deliberating which students get accepted and what not. I’m not 100% sure on this, but judging from mine and everybody else’s experience, this is what I’ve gathered.

If you have an upcoming interview here:
I interviewed yesterday and was less impressed than I have been with other schools. The man who spoke about 3/4th year placements had no specifics and was really condescending-the first person to present to us, so not a strong start at all. The financial aid presentation was helpful and the tour/student Q&A was decent except it was clear they were told to answer certain questions in a specific way (ie mandatory attendance, pass rates, scheduling). The interview was a closed interview which I found disappointing because I spent the whole time explaining things already outlined in my application, but this could be beneficial if you feel your application is weak-remember, you are just as desirable as the person next to you on interview day! The writing assignments you complete upon starting the day are supposed to help direct your interview but that wasn't the case for me. Overall, the whole day seemed poorly organized and I was disappointed with the minimal amount of insight I received regarding questions about the Moultrie campus.
Positives: the community seems tight knit, being close to Atlanta would be cool (if you have free time), the lab and simulation facilities are very nice

Reactions: 4 users
Happy new year everybody! I posted my thoughts last year but figured I'd post again. DONT COME HERE! The schedule they give you is borderline abusive and unrealistic. I haven't heard of a single second-year student say they don't regret coming here. This administration makes sudden changes without warning with HUGE repercussions on student's lives ie. mandatory attendance. This school has abysmally low board scores and originally it was because our professors are horrible but after the 2019 cycle, it'll be because the students have no damn time out of class to study for boards. If you have ANY other opportunities at other institutions TAKE THEM!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Happy new year everybody! I posted my thoughts last year but figured I'd post again. DONT COME HERE! The schedule they give you is borderline abusive and unrealistic. I haven't heard of a single second-year student say they don't regret coming here. This administration makes sudden changes without warning with HUGE repercussions on student's lives ie. mandatory attendance. This school has abysmally low board scores and originally it was because our professors are horrible but after the 2019 cycle, it'll be because the students have no damn time out of class to study for boards. If you have ANY other opportunities at other institutions TAKE THEM!!!!!!

Thanks for your advice! Do you happen to know if this policy is being used by all of PCOM or just the GA-PCOM campus? Also, would you mind sharing the weekly class schedule they expect you to follow?

Happy new year! Have any one of you submitted the technical standard form? How long does it take to get the receipt or confirmation?

Hey does anyone know if there’s any group for those accepted for South GA?
Happy new year! Have you submitted the technical standard form? Do you know how long does it take to get the receipt or confirmation?

Happy new year! Have you submitted the technical standard form? Do you know how long does it take to get the receipt or confirmation?
Hey happy new year to you as well! I haven’t gotten around to submitting the form as I’ve been so busy. But I will submit soon.

Hey! I don’t believe you get an email receipt or anything like that, but it showed up on my banner website a couple of days after with a confirmation that they got it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice! Do you happen to know if this policy is being used by all of PCOM or just the GA-PCOM campus? Also, would you mind sharing the weekly class schedule they expect you to follow?
We're being told that only the GA campus has mandatory attendance. The schedule for this week is as follows:
Monday: 8-4
Tuesday: 8-5
Wednesday: 8-5
Thursday: 8-4
Friday: 8-12
We get an hour for lunch every day as well.

We're being told that only the GA campus has mandatory attendance. The schedule for this week is as follows:

Thank you so much for your insight! I hope things get better for you all.

Any idea if this will be the case for the South GA campus?

Uaw, this is insane!

One was a neurosurgeon and an emergency med doc and the other was a pediatrician
Dr. Penney and Dr. Freed are one of the core staples to this school. I can only imagine how that interview went down but you probably got one of the best interview day experiences the school could offer.

However, when asked the very blunt question “do you like it here”. They all had generally positive answers, mostly due to the faculty/location/boards preparation. Even with the changed mandatory attendance policy (which ambassadors said isn’t exactly clear cut? And they tend to work with you if you have to miss a significant amount) they still said that the pro’s balanced out the cons. They don’t necessarily love the policy, but the gist I got was “it’s not that bad, it’s all about time management”

so yeah welcome to most DO schools haha. Its sketchy. We hate it but we are too busy to worry about it. Even faculty do not know exactly how it works. None of us plan on finding out what a "professional mark" on our deans letter. So we all just go to class. It could be an empty threat but none of us plan on finding out. Just be aware that this policy will probably not change when you start medical school. Current DO representation had a sit down with multiple leaders at the school and they held fast to not clarifying or improving the policy. No clue why they did this but it sounds like 1st years had several improvements compared to the 2nd years so I can only assume it will get better for you guys as incoming students.

Ambassadors do not want to step on toes or rub anyone the wrong way. Thats why we tell you to email us for f/u if you want blunt answers. Mandatory attendance is terrible and every student hates it. But like they put succinctly I agree the pro's outweigh the cons. I'm sure several of my colleges will disagree with me and that is the importance of talking to several students.

2nd years also got their clinical sites today, and all of the ones I talked to got their preferred sites (not sure if the majority of the class did though).
So it looks like most of the class (>60%) got at-least their top 6 (out of 14) choice for rotation. i'm not sure how most people utilized their selections. I got my 1st choice and several of my friends got their top 2. So i can't attest how the rest of the class selected their rotations. I only know of two people that received their b/w 7-9 choice for rotation. I'm sure they are working on trading out of that rotation. There may have been a bottle neck effect at some rotations. We are honestly unsure.

several married people who are doing well, and the school works with them to cater to their needs/lifestyle.
They cater to an extent. Both of the pregnant mothers in my class had to take a leave of absence. Just be aware of this if you plan on being pregnant. or will be having dealing with adapting to having your first child at the beginning of 1st year.

Microbiology/Immunology/Biochemistry/Pharmacology/Genetics/Pathology which I forgot the name of it, but basically it’s a course that has a lecture and a flipped classroom component. The professors design cases for students to solve in small groups and they discuss it with the professors afterwards. They also have board review sessions in this class with the professors to go over boards questions that are relevant.
CMBM is the class. Most of your professors are PHDs and they haven't taken a single COMLEX/USMLE test. So you'll get a lot of facts w/o the concept. You'll finally get the concept when you get to systems. The board questions are very first order because you do not know the concept.

Mostly everything you said was spot on as my experience as a 2nd year.

***I know it’s a lot, but I thought it’d be good to share everything I learned today, because it was definitely a lot of information that isn’t on the website that could be useful!*****
Thanks a lot for taking the time to write that out! Thats one of the reasons I participate on this site and do ambassador activities in order to try to clarify what the school lacks to provide. We need more people like you TBH

Anyone heard back about acceptances? Interviewed 12/14.

Do I scan my completed technical standards form I received in the mail and send them to the designated email? Or is there an online version I can just complete?

Any first or second years using Anki/UFAPS as their primary study resource? I have a few questions about how to study efficiently - given the relatively busy schedule.

@Winafy I almost exclusively UFAPS and there are some 2nd years that do as well so you can DM me if you have any questions

Hey to everybody that interviewed on Jan 11th. Sorry, I had to take a test so I was little late.

I noticed we didn't get a chance to answer a lot of questions to don't hesitate to DM me or any of the 2nd year and 1st years on here.

Hey everyone. I am a 4th year at ga pcom. If you guys have any questions I am happy to help. Send me a DM!

From what I gather past postings - is two weeks about how long it has taken before interview decisions are noticed in the portal?

From what I gather past postings - is two weeks about how long it has taken before interview decisions are noticed in the portal?

We interviewed the Monday before their Christmas break so we've been waiting almost a month. The break obviously has made it longer because they were closed. Yes, it does seem that many people have about 2 weeks before their portals are updated. Good luck to you. When did you interview?

We interviewed the Monday before their Christmas break so we've been waiting almost a month. The break obviously has made it longer because they were closed. Yes, it does seem that many people have about 2 weeks before their portals are updated. Good luck to you. When did you interview?
Thanks! Good luck to you too.

I interviewed yesterday 1/10. Hopefully they’ll be sending out decisions soon.

Interviewed 12/17. My Portal changed with deposit slots for south ga!!!

Reactions: 2 users

That's awesome, congrats! Do you see the link in the application summary table? It's in the web page with the "bannerweb" url, correct?

Congrats! Did you notice it today or earlier? Does this mean those who haven't seen deposit slips should assume we've been waitlisted or rejected?

That's awesome, congrats! Do you see the link in the application summary table? It's in the web page with the "bannerweb" url, correct?
Congrats! Did you notice it today or earlier? Does this mean those who haven't seen deposit slips should assume we've been waitlisted or rejected?

Thank you! I didn’t see anything Friday at 1:30 when I checked but checked today and saw it so I’m not sure when the link was posted.

I haven’t heard anything from this school and I submitted since July

Just got a waitlist mail today (posted January 10th and interviewed January 4th)
Anyone know how often people get moved from waitlist to being accepted? And for those that did move, how long after you got the mail did you end up moving off of the list?

Waitlisted today, interviewed 12/14, kinda sucks cause the school was really nice

II today! however i think its for the new campus in moultrie, but because its under construction they are doing the interview at the suwanee location. anyone have advice, it's in a few days and its my first II!

II today! however i think its for the new campus in moultrie, but because its under construction they are doing the interview at the suwanee location. anyone have advice, it's in a few days and its my first II!
When Did you apply

If you applied for both they will consider you for both campuses at the one interview. There is a 30 minute writing assignment at the beginning that is super easy (no you can't really study or prepare for this). Your interviewers may or may not use the writing assignment in your interview. The interview is at the last part of the day and was very relaxed. I had two interviewers but some people can end up with just one. Practice talking about yourself and be able to talk about your interest in medicine, more specifically osteopathic medicine, and hobbies. If you talk about an experience try and highlight what you learned from it and how it enriched you as a person/ med school applicant. Try and get a feel for how your interviewer is structuring the interview. My interviewers would make a statement and do this weird kind of pause. They were giving me the reigns and I could talk about almost anything I wanted to. They truly just wanted to see if I could talk to someone and listen to people. Be friendly and outgoing to your fellow interviewees and try to relax. Good luck on your interview!

thank you so much this was so helpful! im actually insanely dumb and thought i had applied to the suwanee campus and when i just now checked realized i applied to moultrie. i just sent in the application for suwanee so im not sure if that will apply for this interview but either way i am grateful!