2018-2019 Stanford University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has any MSTP applicant received their secondary yet? Still waiting here.

I am also still waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 3 users
People need to chill. Stanford doesn't screen secondaries so they'll all get sent out eventually, and last year they didn't even start sending out IIs at all until the end of August as it is. I'm honestly kinda skeptical that submitting your secondary early even has any impact on your chances of getting a II/accept here.... n=1, but I submitted in late Sept last year, received my II in Oct with all interview dates available only at late-Oct/early-Nov, before being accepted mid-Jan.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone else submitted this one but not gotten a completion email due to letters? I submitted the secondary about a week ago, and the "Letter of References" line on the status page still has a red x, but if I click into view "Reference Status" it shows a Received Date for the letter. Wondering if they just take a while to grab the letters and mark applications complete, or if it's worth checking.

Reactions: 1 users
Still waiting for this one, not complaining though with all the ones i still have to submit

@nostradamus2019 @reddyice @modernnarwhal24 @doofenshmirtz it I'm also still waiting on it. Gahhh should we email??? MSAR says they send secondaries to everyone so why haven't we gotten it? Did y'all also submit a little after the application opening?
(also lol love the doofenshmirtz name)
so I got nervous and emailed them and I might have jumped the gun a bit because this is what they sent back to me:
Thank you for the email. If you fulfilled all of the requirements, you will receive a secondary application via email. We are sending them out in batches. No set time/date.
Thank you for your interest in Stanford Medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
wow
so I got nervous and emailed them and I might have jumped the gun a bit because this is what they sent back to me:
Thank you for the email. If you fulfilled all of the requirements, you will receive a secondary application via email. We are sending them out in batches. No set time/date.
wow, you are brave

Reactions: 2 users
wow

wow, you are brave
I was vv worried I had deleted it out of my spam because I was an idiot and emptied my spam folder. NEVER DO THIS. Needless to say, I panicked when I realized that I could have lost my secondary :dead:

Reactions: 1 user

I e-mailed so many dumb questions to admissions offices at the schools I applied to last year I literary got told in person by admissions staff at multiple second looks (including Stanford's!) "you sure sent a lot of e-mails". Stanford's admissions staff in particular are all super nice and this was a reasonable thing to ask - if you have a question about anything, you really shouldn't feel afraid to e-mail them.

Has anyone else gotten an invitation to learn more about the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program? I didn’t originally apply to Stanford, but now I’m considering it since not everyone has received secondaries.

Has anyone else gotten an invitation to learn more about the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program? I didn’t originally apply to Stanford, but now I’m considering it since not everyone has received secondaries.
I got that email too!

I believe it was sent out to all applicants! I haven't gotten a secondary (and am very much NOT Knight-Hennessy material) but got that email too. I suggest applying if you have the time and $, good luck!

I e-mailed so many dumb questions to admissions offices at the schools I applied to last year I literary got told in person by admissions staff at multiple second looks (including Stanford's!) "you sure sent a lot of e-mails". Stanford's admissions staff in particular are all super nice and this was a reasonable thing to ask - if you have a question about anything, you really shouldn't feel afraid to e-mail them.
Damn bro WARS 100, no wonder you got so many interviews you're a beast

Thank you! This made me feel so much better :)

Hey guys it was like this for Case Western, too. If you hit forgot password with your AMCAS ID, it may send you the link to start the app without receiving the email. Looks like they use the same platform as Dartmouth and Case Western.

Hey guys it was like this for Case Western, too. If you hit forgot password with your AMCAS ID, it may send you the link to start the app without receiving the email. Looks like they use the same platform as Dartmouth and Case Western.
is this a kosher thing to do?

Good point. You’d have to talk to their site admins/admissions office. What happened with Case was there was a known issue where emails weren’t being sent out for weeks and weeks, and one of the admins said to use the forgot password feature. A few hours after I tried that, I got the email, and I didn’t submit the app until after receiving the email. For clarification, I didn’t apply to Stanford in the primary app, was debating it after receiving the invite to apply to Knight-Hennessy, and ultimately decided against it. So I have no idea about Stanford’s platform, just that it looks like the same tech as Case Western, and the admins had recommended the forgot password feature in that situation.

Please, someone let us know if this works :) I have a lisghtly different theory. Maybe they are waiting for a good number of KH applicants to start sending out the secondaries.

Please, someone let us know if this works :) I have a lisghtly different theory. Maybe they are waiting for a good number of KH applicants to start sending out the secondaries.

KH is for all areas of graduate study (i.e., not just medical school), so I don't actually think the number of KH applications has any bearing at all over how they send secondaries. More than likely, it is also two entirely different groups of people who coordinate one vs the other. I don't understand why it has to take this long for them to send out secondaries even if it is because they are going out in batches, but I think the KH scholarship is unrelated. I do hope it gets sent soon though because I want to be DONE with secondaries this weekend...haha.

On a related note, I did not get a KH email despite having good stats and being what my school, at least, considers a good candidate for it. Welp -- maybe not as good as my school thinks?! Haha, oh well. I do plan on applying, though.

I did not apply KH (so take the following with a grain of salt), but based on talking to several people who did my understanding (as @looptheloop pointed out) is that KH is a completely independent of the Stanford Medicine process, and essentially:
  • You must apply for KH before Stanford Medicine if you plan on applying to both
  • KH interview invites went out in November last year
  • You may get a Stanford Medicine interview invite prior to the KH interview invite as they're independent processes
  • However, if you get a KH interview invite in Nov, you're basically guaranteed a Stanford Medicine interview invite as well even if you did not receive one by that point
  • The majority of people who interviewed for KH interviewed at Stanford Medicine in December
Its unlikely that the delay with secondaries has anything to do with KH. As a side note, Stanford financial aid is ridiculously good even if you don't get KH or typical needs-based aid due to their MIAP program (if you qualify for $1 of financial aid, they'll match parental contributions up to $21,000 a year) combined with MedScholars and TA funding.

Up until last year, Stanford used their own internally-built system for secondaries that was unique to them. This may or may not have changed this year - if it hasn't, the system is definitely not the same as Case or Dartmouth. If they've instead switched over to AMP or something for this cycle, the complete change in how they're processing secondaries might account for the delay.

There are many likes waiting for whoever calls them.

• You must apply for KH before Stanford Medicine if you plan on applying to both
Ugh, WHY? That is stupid. Not sure if I'll bother applying anymore. I was banking on the fact that KH isn't due until September and I would, therefore, be able to focus on that application after being done with secondaries. So much for that idea...poop :(

Up until last year, Stanford used their own internally-built system for secondaries that was unique to them. This may or may not have changed this year - if it hasn't, the system is definitely not the same as Case or Dartmouth. If they've instead switched over to AMP or something for this cycle, the complete change in how they're processing secondaries might account for the delay.

They're using AMP this year. I think they're just taking their time with sending out these secondaries.

Ugh, WHY? That is stupid. Not sure if I'll bother applying anymore. I was banking on the fact that KH isn't due until September and I would, therefore, be able to focus on that application after being done with secondaries. So much for that idea...poop :(

I believe its because you need to enter a KH ID in your Stanford Medicine secondary when you submit it (with the benefit being that you seem to be guaranteed a Stanford Medicine interview if you get a KH interview). I am unsure if you can go back and add one later... this is something I would definitely contact admissions about directly, although posts in last year's thread seem to indicate that you cannot.

They're using AMP this year. I think they're just taking their time with sending out these secondaries.

If that's the case, transitioning their system over is probably what's causing the delay. Trust me though, this is a good thing. Their old system started having technical issues in Jan that caused the secondary portal to go down for most of the month when the first around of accepts went out (which is probably why they decided to shift to a new system), which caused many of us to have to initially confirm our acceptance verbally over the phone. Its easy to also forget that the last cycle only just ended (multiple acceptance deadline April 30th, waitlist accepts given out through May, maybe even early June), so its been barely over a month since last year's class was officially filled on the old system, and it probably takes some time to fully transition everything.

Can someone explain what the ORCID ID is for? Am I supposed to input my publications on this website?

Edit: Got the secondary this morning.

im torn about the diversity prompts (the first one and the last optional one). most "optional" questions on secondaries ive tried to answer (not with random info, but usually a "why this school" type of thing). this one is tough because its super specific. anyone else feel hesitant to leave it blank?

im torn about the diversity prompts (the first one and the last optional one). most "optional" questions on secondaries ive tried to answer (not with random info, but usually a "why this school" type of thing). this one is tough because its super specific. anyone else feel hesitant to leave it blank?
The first one could also be an adversity essay if your adversity topic is "serious enough", meaning it is a significant part of what makes you, you. Then you could use your diversity essay for the optional one. Personally I will be leaving the optional one blank because my diversity essay is basically just my adversity essay re-worded so splitting them is not an option.

Can someone explain what the ORCID ID is for? Am I supposed to input my publications on this website?

Edit: Got the secondary this morning.

I haven't got a secondary but an ORCID is an identifier to connect all of a researcher's pubs. I had to get one when I submitted my graduate thesis. If you have publications it's a good idea to register, independent of this app!

I believe its because you need to enter a KH ID in your Stanford Medicine secondary when you submit it (with the benefit being that you seem to be guaranteed a Stanford Medicine interview if you get a KH interview). I am unsure if you can go back and add one later... this is something I would definitely contact admissions about directly, although posts in last year's thread seem to indicate that you cannot.

Ah, okay. That is a major logistics misstep, IMO. The KH application is not trivial...essays, short answer questions, and a video prompt, not to mention LOR requirements that are incredibly specific (writing the kind of letter they want is a lot more work for letter writers than the usual LOR kind of deal). So, to have that ready to go and submitted before the MD app is a lot, especially since KH has a September deadline. I plan to call them to inquire tomorrow. Somehow, I feel like there's no way there isn't a workaround for this...but then again, apparently previous applicants could not get around that problem, lol.

On a related note: no MSTP applicants have received a secondary yet, right? I'm almost done with the rest of my secondaries and want to pre-write Stanford's unless it comes before I'm done with my others.

Ah, okay. That is a major logistics misstep, IMO. The KH application is not trivial...essays, short answer questions, and a video prompt, not to mention LOR requirements that are incredibly specific (writing the kind of letter they want is a lot more work for letter writers than the usual LOR kind of deal). So, to have that ready to go and submitted before the MD app is a lot, especially since KH has a September deadline. I plan to call them to inquire tomorrow. Somehow, I feel like there's no way there isn't a workaround for this...but then again, apparently previous applicants could not get around that problem, lol.

On a related note: no MSTP applicants have received a secondary yet, right? I'm almost done with the rest of my secondaries and want to pre-write Stanford's unless it comes before I'm done with my others.

No MSTP secondary yet for me.

I haven't got a secondary but an ORCID is an identifier to connect all of a researcher's pubs. I had to get one when I submitted my graduate thesis. If you have publications it's a good idea to register, independent of this app!

Thanks! The secondary asks for people w/ publications to sign up for an ORCID.

My understanding is that Stanford does not screen for secondaries? Interesting to hear that a lot of people have not received one yet. I certainly do not have super star stats!

Thanks! The secondary asks for people w/ publications to sign up for an ORCID.

My understanding is that Stanford does not screen for secondaries? Interesting to hear that a lot of people have not received one yet. I certainly do not have super star stats!

That's correct, they don't screen. I think the timing of the waves is just strange this cycle! Honestly I'm not too fussed, I have plenty of others to work on and I don't stand a chance here anyway!