2018-2019 Stanford University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I havent gotten mine either, but let us be patient.

Let's camp out in their parking lot and protest until they send out the apps

Then on the secondary we can use it to discuss how we have overcome adversity

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know more information about "Is anyone listed in your application (e.g. supervisors or collaborators, co-authors of publications, employers, instructors, etc.) someone who may have, or be perceived to have, a conflict of interest? This may include the following: spouse, domestic partner, or significant other; a relative or family member; a business associate; a close personal or family friend; or similar potential conflict of interest."

Maybe my CARS brain is malfunctioning, but if a LOR writer is our instructor or research PI that doesn't mean "yes" for this question, right?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know more information about "Is anyone listed in your application (e.g. supervisors or collaborators, co-authors of publications, employers, instructors, etc.) someone who may have, or be perceived to have, a conflict of interest? This may include the following: spouse, domestic partner, or significant other; a relative or family member; a business associate; a close personal or family friend; or similar potential conflict of interest."

Maybe my CARS brain is malfunctioning, but if a LOR writer is our instructor or research PI that doesn't mean "yes" for this question, right?
I'm fairly certain that what they are asking is if somebody listed in the first category of people also belongs to the second then you should answer "yes" to say that they are a conflict of interest.

I would think that they expect you to have your PI be an LOR writer if you did research. My PI wrote a letter as well

Sent from my VS501 using SDN mobile

I am a reapplicant but did not apply to Stanford last time. For Are you a re-applicant to the Stanford Medicine? question, I should say no, right? Just want to make sure...

I am a reapplicant but did not apply to Stanford last time. For Are you a re-applicant to the Stanford Medicine? question, I should say no, right? Just want to make sure...
Yes, your answer should be "no".

also got my secondary tonight. was verified 7/19

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the difference between Academic Medicine (Clinical) and Academic Medicine (Physician Scientist)? My interpretation is that the latter focuses more on basic science but I'd love to get other people's thoughts on this.

Question on this prompt...

A relative/family member is a co-author on my first author publication. I did the work to be first author (developed the research question, did the full statistical analysis, and wrote the majority of the paper) but I am worried that having this family member as a co-author will void all my hard work. Should I just say "X is a family member" or can/should I make a statement affirming what I did for the paper? I realise this may be a rare circumstance, but any thoughts would be appreciated. @LizzyM @Catalystik @gonnif

*Created this account for privacy reasons

On the Health Belief survey, do you guys think the statement "Physicians should make emphatic statements about their patients' illness or problems" should actually have the word "empathic/empathetic?" The word emphatic seems kinda out of place and vague.

Or if it should be emphatic, can someone help better phrase the statement because I'm not sure what the statement is trying to convey. Thanks!

On the Health Belief survey, do you guys think the statement "Physicians should make emphatic statements about their patients' illness or problems" should actually have the word "empathic/empathetic?" The word emphatic seems kinda out of place and vague.

Or if it should be emphatic, can someone help better phrase the statement because I'm not sure what the statement is trying to convey. Thanks!
Pretty sure they did mean emphatic as written, given the context of the other questions

Pretty sure they did mean emphatic as written, given the context of the other questions

If you're talking about context, the neighboring questions are asking about whether physicians should consider patients' feelings and how disease is impacting their lives. This is much more related to empathy than it is to speaking emphatically (i.e., with force).

I think it's just a typo.

If you're talking about context, the neighboring questions are asking about whether physicians should consider patients' feelings and how disease is impacting their lives. This is much more related to empathy than it is to speaking emphatically (i.e., with force).

That's a good point. I was reading it more in the context of should physicians ask for the opinions of their patients in their own diagnosis or be clear and emphatic, saying "this is what you have, this is what we're going to do". Now that you say it, I could see it being either way. Empathetic statements and emphatic statements are both common terms so it's hard to say, but the term empathetic statements is something used more often in analysis of patient-provider interactions, so you may very well be right.

Oh damn, after seeing these posts I went back and realized I read "emphatic" as "empathetic" and hit "strongly agree"...

I would still strongly agree if they meant “emphatic”: I want my physician to make clear statements that “emphasize” the disease and how to deal with it, rather than doubting what he meant. I think this is especially important as a cultural competency because patients from different cultures are likely to misinterpret your words if you were not emphatic enough. Imo.

Reactions: 1 users
That's a good point. I was reading it more in the context of should physicians ask for the opinions of their patients in their own diagnosis or be clear and emphatic, saying "this is what you have, this is what we're going to do". Now that you say it, I could see it being either way. Empathetic statements and emphatic statements are both common terms so it's hard to say, but the term empathetic statements is something used more often in analysis of patient-provider interactions, so you may very well be right.

It's clear they meant emphatic. The word has a negative connotation.

Maybe you both are right -- I could go either way. (Not sure how much this matters in any event). Not sure if I agree that speaking emphatically has a strictly negative connotation though -- a certain amount of force/confidence seems like a good thing imo.

Question on this prompt...

A relative/family member is a co-author on my first author publication. I did the work to be first author (developed the research question, did the full statistical analysis, and wrote the majority of the paper) but I am worried that having this family member as a co-author will void all my hard work. Should I just say "X is a family member" or can/should I make a statement affirming what I did for the paper? I realise this may be a rare circumstance, but any thoughts would be appreciated. @LizzyM @Catalystik @gonnif

*Created this account for privacy reasons

Well, it is clear that someone listed on your application, as co-author of your paper, has a conflict of interest (COI), given that the person is a relative. Just say "yes, [name], a co-author on my paper in [journal name] is my [relationship]" and be done with it. It is likely they are just trying to cull the list of people they might contact for verification to exclude those with whom there is a COI.

I would still strongly agree if they meant “emphatic”: I want my physician to make clear statements that “emphasize” the disease and how to deal with it, rather than doubting what he meant. I think this is especially important as a cultural competency because patients from different cultures are likely to misinterpret your words if you were not emphatic enough. Imo.

I wouldn't, personally- I would have put "moderately agree" or whatever the less strong choice was. You don't want patients to feel like they can't disagree with you or discuss their concerns. If something is presented too strongly there could be an intimidation factor/sense of non-communication.

I wouldn't, personally- I would have put "moderately agree" or whatever the less strong choice was. You don't want patients to feel like they can't disagree with you or discuss their concerns. If something is presented too strongly there could be an intimidation factor/sense of non-communication.

That’s a good point.

Ah, okay. That is a major logistics misstep, IMO. The KH application is not trivial...essays, short answer questions, and a video prompt, not to mention LOR requirements that are incredibly specific (writing the kind of letter they want is a lot more work for letter writers than the usual LOR kind of deal). So, to have that ready to go and submitted before the MD app is a lot, especially since KH has a September deadline. I plan to call them to inquire tomorrow. Somehow, I feel like there's no way there isn't a workaround for this...but then again, apparently previous applicants could not get around that problem, lol.

On a related note: no MSTP applicants have received a secondary yet, right? I'm almost done with the rest of my secondaries and want to pre-write Stanford's unless it comes before I'm done with my others.

Did you end up calling/asking? Curious to hear what their response was because I am in the same boat

Did you end up calling/asking? Curious to hear what their response was because I am in the same boat
Not yet, will contact them soon. I have decided to go ahead and apply after all, so I will definitely be checking about this. I will let update in this thread when I find out!

Addendum: I just logged into the secondary app and it says pretty clearly:
So I don't think there is anything to contact them about :(

So I don't think there is anything to contact them about :(

I guess my question is would this negatively affect us if I take the extra few weeks to prepare a kickass KHSP application and not submit the secondary (which I already have ready). Do you think it's worth asking?

I guess my question is would this negatively affect us if I take the extra few weeks to prepare a kickass KHSP application and not submit the secondary (which I already have ready). Do you think it's worth asking?
I would like to know the answer to this, too, but I'm not sure it's something anyone can answer. That said, it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.

Does anyone know the difference between Academic Medicine (Clinical) and Academic Medicine (Physician Scientist)? My interpretation is that the latter focuses more on basic science but I'd love to get other people's thoughts on this.
I agree with this interpretation, and I'm also wondering if it would look weird to select Academic Medicine (Physician Scientist) if you're not planning on MD/PhD. Thoughts?

I agree with this interpretation, and I'm also wondering if it would look weird to select Academic Medicine (Physician Scientist) if you're not planning on MD/PhD. Thoughts?
I don't think so! lots of MD's conduct basic science research

I don't think it would look weird, per say, since you technically can do research with an MD alone. That said, I imagine this would be a less trivial answer for non-MD/PhD applicants, so I would explain your choice and plan somewhere on the application.

Does anyone know the lowest MCAT score that Stanford accepted in recent years? Trying to figure out if I should submit my secondary.

I don't think so! lots of MD's conduct basic science research

I don't think it would look weird, per say, since you technically can do research with an MD alone. That said, I imagine this would be a less trivial answer for non-MD/PhD applicants, so I would explain your choice and plan somewhere on the application.
Thank you for your input, it's much appreciated!

Does anyone know the lowest MCAT score that Stanford accepted in recent years? Trying to figure out if I should submit my secondary.

The lowest in the past few years likely won't be a useful metric for you, but MSAR's 10th to 90th percentile range is 513 to 525.

"ANYTHING ELSE?

Please include anything else that will help us understand better how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine? (OPTIONAL)"

How are people taking this? Is this an opening for a fit essay?

"ANYTHING ELSE?

Please include anything else that will help us understand better how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine? (OPTIONAL)"

How are people taking this? Is this an opening for a fit essay?

I was planning on using it as a fit essay--a chance to discuss other parts of my personality/experiences that I couldn't squeeze into the other essays.

Where are you all finding the scholarly concentrations that Stanford offers that are discussed in one of the secondary questions?

In regards to the optional question mentioned earlier, do you guys think it would be ok if I briefly talked about a new activity I just began this summer that wasn't on my primary app? This is what I've been doing for some other "Additional Info" questions but Stanford's wording is throwing me off a bit by including "how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford medicine" which makes me think of it more as a diversity essay. Thoughts?

Got invited to do secondary last night

Last edited:
Under peer-reviewed publications, it says not to put unpublished articles... I'm assuming this means I can't cite something that was accepted/in-press? :(

Under peer-reviewed publications, it says not to put unpublished articles... I'm assuming this means I can't cite something that was accepted/in-press? :(

Unfortunately not but it'll make for a good update later. I am in the same situation and I'm gonna wait until it's fully accepted. Revisions are close to being done so will be resubmitting in the next few weeks.

Reactions: 1 users

I would say that if it has been accepted without the need for additional revisions, you should list it. I’d actually confirm with the admissions office though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is in-press, it should be accessible on the journal's website. If i am not mistaken, in-press means it has been published in a non-type-edited form. It is still peer-reviewed and accessible to the reviewer of your application. Don't shoot yourself in the foot.