2018-2019 Stanford University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Under peer-reviewed publications, it says not to put unpublished articles... I'm assuming this means I can't cite something that was accepted/in-press? :(

I'm sorry I misunderstood for some reason I thought you meant it was still under review

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to the optional question mentioned earlier, do you guys think it would be ok if I briefly talked about a new activity I just began this summer that wasn't on my primary app? This is what I've been doing for some other "Additional Info" questions but Stanford's wording is throwing me off a bit by including "how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford medicine" which makes me think of it more as a diversity essay. Thoughts?
Unless it's a super significant activity I would leave it blank

In regards to the optional question mentioned earlier, do you guys think it would be ok if I briefly talked about a new activity I just began this summer that wasn't on my primary app? This is what I've been doing for some other "Additional Info" questions but Stanford's wording is throwing me off a bit by including "how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford medicine" which makes me think of it more as a diversity essay. Thoughts?

I personally think this is okay, I plan on talking about new research that I'm doing. I think that as long as it's somewhat meaningful, a new activity should be a good thing to put here imo

Do you think I have a shot with a 505 MCAT,3.89/4.00 Science GPA, 3+ years of lab experience, 1+ year of being Chief Scribe for an ED, currently a consultant with a cancer diagnostic company, 1.5+ years teaching experience, 3+ years of leadership EC and 2+ years of volunteering for cancer youth? I don't know if I should even bother submitting because my MCAT is subpar. Thank you all and good luck!

Do you think I have a shot with a 505 MCAT,3.89/4.00 Science GPA, 3+ years of lab experience, 1+ year of being Chief Scribe for an ED, currently a consultant with a cancer diagnostic company, 1.5+ years teaching experience, 3+ years of leadership EC and 2+ years of volunteering for cancer youth? I don't know if I should even bother submitting because my MCAT is subpar. Thank you all and good luck!

Stanford is very big on research and the median stats are very high. You would have a very difficult time being competitive here with that mcat score. Full disclosure I am applying here.

That MCAT is likely lethal at Stanford. I wouldn't waste your money

Reactions: 1 user
Stanford is very big on research and the median stats are very high. You would have a very difficult time being competitive here with that mcat score. Full disclosure I am applying here.
Thank you for your honesty-that's what I figured. Thank you!

Under peer-reviewed publications, it says not to put unpublished articles... I'm assuming this means I can't cite something that was accepted/in-press? :(
If it’s officially been acccepted and is in press, I think you can (if it’s availabe online)! Because at that point it should have a PMID number. I think they mainly mean that they don’t want to hear about articles that have only just been submitted or are “under preparation”

whats a "safe" MCAT score for stanford? O_O
General rule of thumb is to be above the 25th percentile of accepted which is a 516 for stanford. A "safe" mcat I guess you could say is a 519 which is their median. Their 10th percentile is a 513 so if you fit the mission well and/or are URM you could use it as a reach school if you are 513-516. Anything below a 513 you likely need URM and/or super unique and strong EC's.

General rule of thumb is to be above the 25th percentile of accepted which is a 516 for stanford. A "safe" mcat I guess you could say is a 519 which is their median. Their 10th percentile is a 513 so if you fit the mission well and/or are URM you could use it as a reach school if you are 513-516. Anything below a 513 you likely need URM and/or super unique and strong EC's.
cool thanks!

What are your thoughts on the Short Question about career choice? Is it weird if I put Physician Scientist when I'm not applying MD PHD?

Also confused about public health/community care. I want to work in my community and do research and my background reflects that. What would you guys do?

Members don't see this ad :)
cool thanks!

What are your thoughts on the Short Question about career choice? Is it weird if I put Physician Scientist when I'm not applying MD PHD?

Also confused about public health/community care. I want to work in my community and do research and my background reflects that. What would you guys do?
Many physician scientists don’t have PhDs so that would be fine I think! Pick the one that your background makes the best case for IMO since the question asked you to justify your choice with your experiences

cool thanks!

Many physician scientists don’t have PhDs so that would be fine I think! Pick the one that your background makes the best case for IMO since the question asked you to justify your choice with your experiences
^^^. If there is overlap between 2 choices then it probably doesn't matter much which you choose, just how you back it up

Anyone know if this optional essay is really "optional?" I'm kinda burnout and don't want to write anymore.

Anyone know if this optional essay is really "optional?" I'm kinda burnout and don't want to write anymore.
Yes. When they say optional they actually mean optional. They don't want meaningless dribble

Just submitted. I don't know if this has been asked but how do we update the photo in the upper left corner?

Do any current students here know the difference between doing research through the Scholarly Concentrations program and the MedScholars program? Can't quite tell the difference from what's on the web...

Im so torn about the Health Belief and Attitude Survey section. lol. Lot of "midly ____". making me feel like i have no backbone lol

I have a chronic condition but second guessing the wording.

Like for the first one. I think a doctor should ask their patient how they feel about their illness if just diagnosed. You're not there to be their therapist /psychiatrist (but you could be?), but i think it's still worth asking or considering.

But it could also waste time if it's an illness not related to the reason of your current visit. O_O and what if the patient doesn't want to talk about it when they're not there to see you for it.

Is this section literally a survery or does it factor into our application decision?

Im so torn about the Health Belief and Attitude Survey section. lol.

Like for the first one. I think a doctor should ask their patient how they feel about their illness if just diagnosed. You're not there to be their therapist /psychiatrist (but you could be?), but i think it's still worth asking or considering.

But it could also waste time if it's an illness not related to the reason of your current visit. O_O and what if the patient doesn't want to talk about it when they're not there to see you for it.

Is this section literally a survery or does it factor into our application decision?

I treated it like a survey, don't over think it.

(This is in the MD/PhD secondary) Does anyone have any idea what they are looking for with the prompt "Describe any patient-related, teaching, and service-oriented activities relevant to the MSTP MD-PhD Admissions Committee decision." (800 character)

I'm a little confused because I have addressed all of these things in the primary and at 800 characters, I can't really do more than one sentence per significant activity. Should I take this as an opportunity to pick just one experience and connect it more strongly to why MD/PhD?

If anyone is still waiting on the MD/PhD secondary, let me know and I will post all the questions.

(This is in the MD/PhD secondary) Does anyone have any idea what they are looking for with the prompt "Describe any patient-related, teaching, and service-oriented activities relevant to the MSTP MD-PhD Admissions Committee decision." (800 character)

I'm a little confused because I have addressed all of these things in the primary and at 800 characters, I can't really do more than one sentence per significant activity. Should I take this as an opportunity to pick just one experience and connect it more strongly to why MD/PhD?

If anyone is still waiting on the MD/PhD secondary, let me know and I will post all the questions.
I think they really just want (yet another) breakdown of your shadowing/volunteering/TA/etc. activities. IIRC, they say at the beginning of the MSTP portion of the secondary that it will be the first thing the MSTP AdCom looks at, although they will also have access to your primary and the rest of the secondary. So, with that in mind, it sounds like we simply have to rehash what we've already written...again... :p

Question for you guys - the committee letter from my school does not include quoted/referenced letters in full, but I am still marked "complete" for letters in the portal. Does that mean I am good, or do I still need to send a letter packet? Should I just confirm with admissions?

Question for you guys - the committee letter from my school does not include quoted/referenced letters in full, but I am still marked "complete" for letters in the portal. Does that mean I am good, or do I still need to send a letter packet? Should I just confirm with admissions?

committee letters are typically sufficient to fulfill all letter requirements and an additional packet is not required. Read the admissions site thoroughly and carefully before you e-mail admissions about it

committee letters are typically sufficient to fulfill all letter requirements and an additional packet is not required. Read the admissions site thoroughly and carefully before you e-mail admissions about it

I know that is the case for most schools, but these instructions from the secondary and website gave me pause:

"If the commitee evaluation/letter references or summarizes individual evaluators, each individual evaluation/letter of recommendation must be included with the committee packet."

I know that is the case for most schools, but these instructions from the secondary and website gave me pause:

"If the commitee evaluation/letter references or summarizes individual evaluators, each individual evaluation/letter of recommendation must be included with the committee packet."
It seems like they pretty clearly want the individual letters...lol.

It seems like they pretty clearly want the individual letters...lol.

I know lol, I was just confused because the portal says "complete" for letters. But it may just be an automatic thing saying the letter is received.

I think they really just want (yet another) breakdown of your shadowing/volunteering/TA/etc. activities. IIRC, they say at the beginning of the MSTP portion of the secondary that it will be the first thing the MSTP AdCom looks at, although they will also have access to your primary and the rest of the secondary. So, with that in mind, it sounds like we simply have to rehash what we've already written...again... :p

Thanks for weighing in, that sentence at the beginning really does suggest they want a list so they don't have to dig through the primary.

Unless it's a super significant activity I would leave it blank
Feel like your comments regarding the additional information section are a little strong, although I don't disagree with you in principle. Its definitely fine to leave it blank, but its definitely also fine to include something like your current plans for the year or anything you didn't have time to cover in your primary there too, even if you aren't doing some new groundbreaking EC. I personally included a few sentences about my current research and what I had been up to since my primary, and had no issues.

Keep in mind that the interview will be MMI and Stanford has maybe the strictest policy regarding update letters out of all the US MD schools - they won't accept update letters at all prior to the interview, and will only really accept updates for grades or new publications post-interview (not even posters lol). If you have anything you want to tell them or let them know, you kinda need to do it now since you're going to have very few other opportunities to do so.

Do any current students here know the difference between doing research through the Scholarly Concentrations program and the MedScholars program? Can't quite tell the difference from what's on the web...

Stanford's MD requires you to pick a concentration - you can find the list of options here (Bioengineering, Data informatics, Health policy etc., you either do everything in a single foundation area, of pick a foundation + application). There's mentorship/journal clubs/etc. stuff for this too, but the main thing with the scholarly concentrations is that to graduate, you need to do 12 units worth of courses within whatever concentration you pick on top of the main medical school curriculum, as well as write a thesis/dissertation within it. The courses you do for the concentration are usually outside of the medical school (in some cases pretty far out), so its kinda nice.

MedScholars is the primary means for getting funding for in-quarter/summer/research-year research. Its not tied to anything - you can use it to fund your scholarly concentration research, but you can use it for other things too. The cliff notes summary is that every student gets the equivalent of 5 full quarters of MedScholars funding, with 100% MedScholars funding for 5 full quarters worth $62,500 (5x $12,500) in free money. You can use this to fund full-time research during for example MS1 summer + a full research year (1+4 quarters), or spread it over multiple quarters during MS1-MS4 at something like 25% or 50% time each quarter (so doing 25% MedScholars funding through the entirety of MS1 including summer would eat up just 1 of the 5 full quarters of funding you get). It's something that's very unique to Stanford, and definitely was one of the things that sold me on the school vs. some of my other acceptances.

Reactions: 1 users
Im so torn about the Health Belief and Attitude Survey section. lol. Lot of "midly ____". making me feel like i have no backbone lol

I genuinely believe they are actually discriminating applicants with this survey. I answered the questions how a liberal, research-focused medical school would want me to. Sometimes, you gotta dance with the devil to get to the angel.

I genuinely believe they are actually discriminating applicants with this survey. I answered the questions how a liberal, research-focused medical school would want me to. Sometimes, you gotta dance with the devil to get to the angel.

Its an anonymous survey that's been at the end of the secondary for years and years. You're not going to get discriminated against for your answers.

You do you, but its not a great look when your neuroticism has driven your personal ethics so far into the ground that you feel the need to lie on an anonymous survey in some misguided attempt to improve acceptance chances.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi @skk_

I had a question about the scholarly concentration requirement. So, the website says that you have to pick one of the foundation ares, but it does not say anything about the application areas. Do most people end up doing 1 or do a lot people do 2? And if you do two, how does that work? Thanks!

Hi @skk_

I had a question about the scholarly concentration requirement. So, the website says that you have to pick one of the foundation ares, but it does not say anything about the application areas. Do most people end up doing 1 or do a lot people do 2? And if you do two, how does that work? Thanks!

The website says you can do 12 credits worth in one or 6 in two if thats what you were asking.

Hi @skk_

Like @freedoctor17 mentioned, you either do everything in one foundation area (12 units + research), or do a foundation + application, with things split between both (6+6).

I know people who have done both, but defining what the "typical" student does is a bit hard due to the flexible curriculum causing so much variation outside of everyone finishing the same core curriculum + scholarly concentration reqs. Even those things have many ways they can be approached - you can take Step 1 whenever you want and take as long as you need to study for it, you have the option to take MS2 over 2 years (1.5 days/week) while doing multi-year research etc.

Essentially....

The website says you can do 12 credits worth in one or 6 in two if thats what you were asking.
...the scholarly concentration reqs are more minimums rather than maximums. One of the unique things about Stanford is you're free to register for any course across the university as p/f (so not just auditing but having it on your transcript, but with zero pressure due to no grades). You're given more than enough elective credits to take whatever you want and while you have no obligation to beyond meeting the scholarly concentration reqs, most take advantage of this since its pretty amazing to take stuff you're interested in to learn and explore, especially after years of worrying about As through premed. There's nothing stopping you from taking more courses in your scholarly concentration, courses in other concentrations/offered by the medschool, or even things like the biodesign courses done with business/engineering students (very popular, and have produced many projects that have been funded and brought to market), intro (or advanced!) compsci courses etc. The curriculum is designed to give you time for this and research - you have every Wed off during MS1-2, and no classes after noon on Tue/Thu all of MS2 + MS1 after Q2.

Same deal with scholarly concentration research. You have to do a project that for most corresponds to 1 quarter full-time research over MS1 summer. You're however given five quarters full-time funding through MedScholars and while you could use this to extend your scholarly concentration research, there's nothing preventing you from using it to fund things completely unrelated to it, and many people do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Like @freedoctor17 mentioned, you either do everything in one foundation area (12 units + research), or do a foundation + application, with things split between both (6+6).

I know people who have done both, but defining what the "typical" student does is a bit hard due to the flexible curriculum causing so much variation outside of everyone finishing the same core curriculum + scholarly concentration reqs. Even those things have many ways they can be approached - you can take Step 1 whenever you want and take as long as you need to study for it, you have the option to take MS2 over 2 years (1.5 days/week) while doing multi-year research etc.

Essentially....

The scholarly concentration reqs are more minimums rather than maximums. One of the unique things about Stanford is you're free to register for any course across the university as p/f (so not just auditing but having it on your transcript, but with zero pressure due to no grades). You're given more than enough elective credits to take whatever you want and while you have no obligation to beyond meeting the scholarly concentration reqs, most take advantage of this since its pretty amazing to take stuff you're interested in to learn and explore, especially after years of worrying about As through premed. There's nothing stopping you from taking more courses in your scholarly concentration, courses in other concentrations/offered by the medschool, or even things like the biodesign courses done with business/engineering students (very popular, and have produced many projects that have been funded and brought to market), intro (or advanced!) compsci courses etc. The curriculum is designed to give you time for this and research - you have every Wed off during MS1-2, and no classes after noon on Tue/Thu all of MS2 + MS1 after Q2.

Same deal with scholarly concentration research. You have to do a project that for most corresponds to 1 quarter full-time research over MS1 summer. You're however given five quarters full-time funding through MedScholars and while you could use this to extended your scholarly concentration research, there's nothing preventing you from using it to fund things completely unrelated to it, and many people do so.

wow this sounds amazing and makes me want to go here even more

for the curriculum question did people talk about both curriculum and scholarly concentration? i cant make room for both. is it bad to only talk about scholarly concentration?? will they be annoyed?

for the curriculum question did people talk about both curriculum and scholarly concentration? i cant make room for both. is it bad to only talk about scholarly concentration?? will they be annoyed?

I had the same issue. But considering they said specifically scholarly concentration in the prompt I assumed it was okay since it seems like that's what they want you to focus on anyways.

I feel like there's a typo in that survey. "Physicians should make emphatic statements about their patients' illness or problems." Quite certain it's meant to say "empathetic." Don't want my doctors yelling at me...

I feel like there's a typo in that survey. "Physicians should make emphatic statements about their patients' illness or problems." Quite certain it's meant to say "empathetic." Don't want my doctors yelling at me...

Emphatic isn't necessarily yelling. I took it to mean clear and precise statements sort of thing. I feel like it is usually a negative term though so not sure if that was a good way to interpret it. As far as I know the survey serves know purpose in admissions though so I'm not too worried.

Can you please post all the MSTP questions? Thanks!

Emphatic isn't necessarily yelling. I took it to mean clear and precise statements sort of thing. I feel like it is usually a negative term though so not sure if that was a good way to interpret it. As far as I know the survey serves know purpose in admissions though so I'm not too worried.
Definitely, I just thought I'd look up if the data for the survey has been used before, and in fact Stanford did publish their results several years ago. That's where it shows "empathetic." Either way, you're right, it's not part of admissions.

Definitely, I just thought I'd look up if the data for the survey has been used before, and in fact Stanford did publish their results several years ago. That's where it shows "empathetic." Either way, you're right, it's not part of admissions.

Oh wow nice find, that's weird that it changed now. You'd think theyd just keep putting in the same survey.

Oh wow nice find, that's weird that it changed now. You'd think theyd just keep putting in the same survey.
They changed how they process secondaries to a completely new system a few weeks ago, as there were a bunch of technical issues with the old system last cycle. My best guess is that in the rush to get everything ready for this cycle whoever ported over the survey mistyped it, or incorrectly autocorrected the wording.

Either way, the survey isn't a formal part of the secondary application at all so whatever anyone put down won't have any impact on the application process. I went back to take a quick look at the saved pdf copy of my application from my cycle to see what it said back then, but the survey wasn't even included anymore as part of my secondary after submission. It really is completely anonymous and decoupled from the rest of your application.

For anyone who is applying MSTP: how did you approach the first MSTP supplemental app question?

Describe your most significant research experience. Include the rationale, results, and conclusions, and the role you played in each of these components. Please be very specific, including the dates and amount of time you were engaged. For publications or presentations that resulted or will result from this work, include a complete citation with the names of all authors and the status (e.g., submitted, in preparation). Please limit your answer to 2,500 characters including spaces.

I did literally this in my MD/PhD Research Essay in my primary. As in, I included the very details they are asking for here. Feeling a bit stuck right now as I don't want to simply repeat what I wrote in my primary but, on the other hand, there are only so many ways to spin a research experience.

They do say:

The AMCAS application has required essay responses to MD/PhD program interest. You may use information from these responses in the sections that follow, but you are required to answer every question on the Stanford Supplemental Application, and it is not sufficient to simply refer to the AMCAS essays. Your AMCAS MD/PhD essays will be included also.

So they are clearly aware that some info will be repeated, but the way this is written makes it sound like they also don't want it to be a repeat of what was written in the primary.