You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018-2019 SUNY Upstate Medical University
Started by Lucca
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I called yesterday, she said there’s been waitlist movement this month
Seems pretty likely that there just isn't as much movement this year compared to last 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll call tomorrow and find my position on the wait list.I wish I knew 🙁 Part of me thinks their class is close to full so theres only a little waitlist movement.... Anyone call recently?
I'll call tomorrow and find my position on the wait list.
If you could somehow find out if waitlist movement has actually been a normally low this year too that would be awesome I didn’t ask when I called
The woman I spoke to yesterday said it just started moving, and judgin from SDN thread last year, this one is pretty slowIf you could somehow find out if waitlist movement has actually been a normally low this year too that would be awesome I didn’t ask when I called
Has anyone called and gotten some actual information about the waitlist movement? Is it because of AMCAS' new policy or is this year just slow? The new application cycle is starting and I think we need to know realistic answers.
I definitely think there is less wait-list movement this year because of the new policy. The other schools im waitlisted on have had very little movement based on what they told me. None of friends have heard from the waitlist they're on either.
Last edited:
Currently on 4 MD waitlists with very little movement 🙁🙁Is anybody able to just call and ask if it’s moving far more slowly than usual? I would but I called literally 2 days ago haha
Currently on 4 MD waitlists with very little movement 🙁🙁
yup I'm on 4 other waitlists too with very little movement (3xMD 1xDO) 🙁 I'm glad I have one acceptance to fall back on but upstate was my #1
Does anyone have contact information for Carolyn Couch? I called the admissions office and was told I needed to call her but never got a phone number and I can't find a number on the website
315-378-2764Does anyone have contact information for Carolyn Couch? I called the admissions office and was told I needed to call her but never got a phone number and I can't find a number on the website
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yikes looks like I should start to lose hope for this school
Ooof ouch my hopes and dreams. They told me they reached a "little" past my spot last year so I think I'm SOL
Ooof ouch my hopes and dreams. They told me they reached a "little" past my spot last year so I think I'm SOL
you never know, that just means you won't know until closer to orientation probably. I was hoping I would have heard something by now as they said they usually reach my spot as I've just had to pay a pretty large deposit at the school I got taken off of the waitlist for... sigh
you never know, that just means you won't know until closer to orientation probably. I was hoping I would have heard something by now as they said they usually reach my spot as I've just had to pay a pretty large deposit at the school I got taken off of the waitlist for... sigh
Oof that is rough, it's hard to plan when movement is this late! Gotta stay optimistic though, may June have lots of movement for all of us 🙂 I'm going to see if I can get more info Monday
Oof that is rough, it's hard to plan when movement is this late! Gotta stay optimistic though, may June have lots of movement for all of us 🙂 I'm going to see if I can get more info Monday
Best of luck! Let us know what they say 🙂 I’m going to call again in a couple weeks to see if my likelihood of them reaching me has changed.
Yea I'm on two waitlists, no acceptances yet, and neither seem like they're moving 🙁
Yea I'm on two waitlists, no acceptances yet, and neither seem like they're moving 🙁
I was in the same boat, 4 waitlists no acceptances, I know your pain. You could very well still get a call between now and when classes start. Did you find out your HPA rank?
They said "We have made it past your position in past years," but at this point I don't think that means anythingI was in the same boat, 4 waitlists no acceptances, I know your pain. You could very well still get a call between now and when classes start. Did you find out your HPA rank?
They said "We have made it past your position in past years," but at this point I don't think that means anything
yeah I feel like because it's moving extremely slow, they aren't going to reach where they normally do so who knows
patient_zero
New Member
The wait list has only been moving since the 15th, it'll keep moving for another two months. It doesn't seem likely that suddenly this year they have a drastically higher retention of accepted students. If the admissions office said they have reached a certain spot on the wait list I don't think they're gonna be purposely misleading about saying that to someone. On interview day they told our group that they haven't pulled from the LPA list in a few years, but if that's even a possibility, that means that there is a potential that everyone on the HPA list is accepted. Stay strong people!!
The wait list has only been moving since the 15th, it'll keep moving for another two months. It doesn't seem likely that suddenly this year they have a drastically higher retention of accepted students. If the admissions office said they have reached a certain spot on the wait list I don't think they're gonna be purposely misleading about saying that to someone. On interview day they told our group that they haven't pulled from the LPA list in a few years, but if that's even a possibility, that means that there is a potential that everyone on the HPA list is accepted. Stay strong people!!
yeah I think we're all getting ahead of ourselves here. Its just my impatience speaking lol
I spoke with Ms. Couch and she said that the list was moving very slowly this year. She specifically said that Syracuse has 0 open seats.
I spoke with Ms. Couch and she said that the list was moving very slowly this year. She specifically said that Syracuse has 0 open seats.
Jesus. Well, good to know. Thanks chocolate86!
I spoke with Ms. Couch and she said that the list was moving very slowly this year. She specifically said that Syracuse has 0 open seats.
Wowwwww. I wonder if it's gonna speed up anytime soon... and thank you for checking!
21 days prior to orientationOh, when is the CTE deadline for here?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ms. Couch also mentioned that they’re only counting the CTE students right now as seats filled, which means this app cycle just might be screwed for us HPWL’s since that list of students shouldn’t really change that much 🙁
Ms. Couch also mentioned that they’re only counting the CTE students right now as seats filled, which means this app cycle just might be screwed for us HPWL’s since that list of students shouldn’t really change that much 🙁
Wait really? If she also said there are 0 open seats (as per above post) does that mean everyone is CTE?
Yeah I specifically asked her if they count PTE students as filled seats and she said they only count CTE 🙁Wait really? If she also said there are 0 open seats (as per above post) does that mean everyone is CTE?
Did she say anything about Binghamton spots?
Those are the only ones opening up as the list moves slowly. But as mentioned even Syracuse preferred people will get that option if their name is reached.Did she say anything about Binghamton spots?
I am pretty optimistic about waitlist movement. The reason being that the total number of applicants, accepted applicants, and matriculants overall has hardly changed over the last few years, so I have few reasons to doubt that there is much variation this year. In addition, it seems that waitlist movement is slow across the board, according to the main waitlist thread. Fingers crossed 🙂
I am pretty optimistic about waitlist movement. The reason being that the total number of applicants, accepted applicants, and matriculants overall has hardly changed over the last few years, so I have few reasons to doubt that there is much variation this year. In addition, it seems that waitlist movement is slow across the board, according to the main waitlist thread. Fingers crossed 🙂
Hate to be the partypooper but if all the Syracuse spots are CTE then it's basically over. Sigh guess its time I write my new personal statement.
I don’t think it would be a wild drop actually, 2 years ago it seemed like there was barely any waitlist movement according to SDN. It seems like it alternates every year or soIdk part of me is like give up but I just feel like there wouldn’t be a wildly drastic drop in the number of students accepted off the HPA list
I don’t think it would be a wild drop actually, 2 years ago it seemed like there was barely any waitlist movement according to SDN. It seems like it alternates every year or so
that's true. Well, let's keep hoping lol. Glad I put Binghamton preferred
I keep thinking about this and I don't understand how they have a full class of people that are CTE although that is what they said. There are still lots of people that have PTE that are accepted at Upstate that can decide to go there or elsewhere (pending waitlist movement). It would be odd to have a full class with CTE at this point because they would risk highly over-accepting because of the remaining PTEs. I think we will have to wait until the PTEs decide until we will get more movement.Ms. Couch also mentioned that they’re only counting the CTEd students right now as seats filled, which means this app cycle just might be screwed for us HPWL’s since that list of students shouldn’t really change that much 🙁
Last edited:
I keep thinking about this and I don't think they have a full class of people that are CTE. There are still lots of people that have PTE that are accepted at Upstate that can decide to go there or elsewhere (pending waitlist movement). They wouldn't have a full class with CTE because they would risk highly over-accepting because of the remaining PTEs. I think we will have to wait until the PTEs decide until we will get more movement.
Yeah it does seem a little ridiculous that literally everybody at Upstate has CTE'd by this point but we have no reason to question the posters on this forum.
Yeah so I was the one who confirmed the whole CTE/PTE thing. I wanted to make sure there was no miscommunication so I specified that I was asking if the current number of seats filled for Upstate was both PTE/CTE or solely CTE. She said it was only CTE. Now, I agree with the above comments about how that can’t be accurate if you take in to account all the PTE’s so maybe she misinterpreted what PTE/CTE meant?Yeah it does seem a little ridiculous that literally everybody at Upstate has CTE'd by this point but we have no reason to question the posters on this forum.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah so I was the one who confirmed the whole CTE/PTE thing. I wanted to make sure there was no miscommunication so I specified that I was asking if the current number of seats filled for Upstate was both PTE/CTE or solely CTE. She said it was only CTE. Now, I agree with the above comments about how that can’t be accurate if you take in to account all the PTE’s so maybe she misinterpreted what PTE/CTE meant?
yeah and the CTE date is 21 days prior to matriculation... I personally know 2 people who are accepted there with Syracuse as their rotation site and are still on waitlists at other places
I bet they’re leaving a number of spots open for PTE people but due to the number of CTE people up to this point they’re not pulling anyone from HPA, which would be consistent with the info you gotYeah so I was the one who confirmed the whole CTE/PTE thing. I wanted to make sure there was no miscommunication so I specified that I was asking if the current number of seats filled for Upstate was both PTE/CTE or solely CTE. She said it was only CTE. Now, I agree with the above comments about how that can’t be accurate if you take in to account all the PTE’s so maybe she misinterpreted what PTE/CTE meant?
Did you commit to another school? If so, Congrats!Just withdrew my application, even though i was on HPA hopefully it helps you guys out!