2018-2019 SUNY Upstate Medical University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called yesterday, she said there’s been waitlist movement this month

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I called yesterday, she said there’s been waitlist movement this month

Seems pretty likely that there just isn't as much movement this year compared to last :(

Reactions: 1 users
Also pleaseeee guys don’t forget sdn represents a very small percent of people

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I knew :( Part of me thinks their class is close to full so theres only a little waitlist movement.... Anyone call recently?
I'll call tomorrow and find my position on the wait list.

I'll call tomorrow and find my position on the wait list.

If you could somehow find out if waitlist movement has actually been a normally low this year too that would be awesome I didn’t ask when I called

If you could somehow find out if waitlist movement has actually been a normally low this year too that would be awesome I didn’t ask when I called
The woman I spoke to yesterday said it just started moving, and judgin from SDN thread last year, this one is pretty slow

Has anyone called and gotten some actual information about the waitlist movement? Is it because of AMCAS' new policy or is this year just slow? The new application cycle is starting and I think we need to know realistic answers.

I definitely think there is less wait-list movement this year because of the new policy. The other schools im waitlisted on have had very little movement based on what they told me. None of friends have heard from the waitlist they're on either.

Last edited:
Is anybody able to just call and ask if it’s moving far more slowly than usual? I would but I called literally 2 days ago haha

Is anybody able to just call and ask if it’s moving far more slowly than usual? I would but I called literally 2 days ago haha
Currently on 4 MD waitlists with very little movement :(:(

Currently on 4 MD waitlists with very little movement :(:(

yup I'm on 4 other waitlists too with very little movement (3xMD 1xDO) :( I'm glad I have one acceptance to fall back on but upstate was my #1

I called and spoke to Carolyn Couch who told me my relative spot on the HPA and that it is moving extremely slowly...she expects for it to continue to be moving into end of June/early July

Does anyone have contact information for Carolyn Couch? I called the admissions office and was told I needed to call her but never got a phone number and I can't find a number on the website

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes looks like I should start to lose hope for this school

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Yikes looks like I should start to lose hope for this school

Ooof ouch my hopes and dreams. They told me they reached a "little" past my spot last year so I think I'm SOL

Ooof ouch my hopes and dreams. They told me they reached a "little" past my spot last year so I think I'm SOL

you never know, that just means you won't know until closer to orientation probably. I was hoping I would have heard something by now as they said they usually reach my spot as I've just had to pay a pretty large deposit at the school I got taken off of the waitlist for... sigh

you never know, that just means you won't know until closer to orientation probably. I was hoping I would have heard something by now as they said they usually reach my spot as I've just had to pay a pretty large deposit at the school I got taken off of the waitlist for... sigh

Oof that is rough, it's hard to plan when movement is this late! Gotta stay optimistic though, may June have lots of movement for all of us :) I'm going to see if I can get more info Monday

Oof that is rough, it's hard to plan when movement is this late! Gotta stay optimistic though, may June have lots of movement for all of us :) I'm going to see if I can get more info Monday

Best of luck! Let us know what they say :) I’m going to call again in a couple weeks to see if my likelihood of them reaching me has changed.

Yea I'm on two waitlists, no acceptances yet, and neither seem like they're moving :(

Reactions: 3 users
Yea I'm on two waitlists, no acceptances yet, and neither seem like they're moving :(

I was in the same boat, 4 waitlists no acceptances, I know your pain. You could very well still get a call between now and when classes start. Did you find out your HPA rank?

I was in the same boat, 4 waitlists no acceptances, I know your pain. You could very well still get a call between now and when classes start. Did you find out your HPA rank?
They said "We have made it past your position in past years," but at this point I don't think that means anything

They said "We have made it past your position in past years," but at this point I don't think that means anything

yeah I feel like because it's moving extremely slow, they aren't going to reach where they normally do so who knows

The wait list has only been moving since the 15th, it'll keep moving for another two months. It doesn't seem likely that suddenly this year they have a drastically higher retention of accepted students. If the admissions office said they have reached a certain spot on the wait list I don't think they're gonna be purposely misleading about saying that to someone. On interview day they told our group that they haven't pulled from the LPA list in a few years, but if that's even a possibility, that means that there is a potential that everyone on the HPA list is accepted. Stay strong people!!

The wait list has only been moving since the 15th, it'll keep moving for another two months. It doesn't seem likely that suddenly this year they have a drastically higher retention of accepted students. If the admissions office said they have reached a certain spot on the wait list I don't think they're gonna be purposely misleading about saying that to someone. On interview day they told our group that they haven't pulled from the LPA list in a few years, but if that's even a possibility, that means that there is a potential that everyone on the HPA list is accepted. Stay strong people!!

yeah I think we're all getting ahead of ourselves here. Its just my impatience speaking lol

I spoke with Ms. Couch and she said that the list was moving very slowly this year. She specifically said that Syracuse has 0 open seats.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 4 users
I spoke with Ms. Couch and she said that the list was moving very slowly this year. She specifically said that Syracuse has 0 open seats.

Jesus. Well, good to know. Thanks chocolate86!

Wowwwww. I wonder if it's gonna speed up anytime soon... and thank you for checking!

Oh, when is the CTE deadline for here?

Withdrawing my waitlist position. Hopefully it bumps some lucky person into a seat next week. Best of luck everyone!

Ms. Couch also mentioned that they’re only counting the CTE students right now as seats filled, which means this app cycle just might be screwed for us HPWL’s since that list of students shouldn’t really change that much :(

Ms. Couch also mentioned that they’re only counting the CTE students right now as seats filled, which means this app cycle just might be screwed for us HPWL’s since that list of students shouldn’t really change that much :(

Wait really? If she also said there are 0 open seats (as per above post) does that mean everyone is CTE?

Wait really? If she also said there are 0 open seats (as per above post) does that mean everyone is CTE?
Yeah I specifically asked her if they count PTE students as filled seats and she said they only count CTE :(

Crap LOL looks like I’m goin D.O

I am pretty optimistic about waitlist movement. The reason being that the total number of applicants, accepted applicants, and matriculants overall has hardly changed over the last few years, so I have few reasons to doubt that there is much variation this year. In addition, it seems that waitlist movement is slow across the board, according to the main waitlist thread. Fingers crossed :)

I am pretty optimistic about waitlist movement. The reason being that the total number of applicants, accepted applicants, and matriculants overall has hardly changed over the last few years, so I have few reasons to doubt that there is much variation this year. In addition, it seems that waitlist movement is slow across the board, according to the main waitlist thread. Fingers crossed :)

Hate to be the partypooper but if all the Syracuse spots are CTE then it's basically over. Sigh guess its time I write my new personal statement.

Idk part of me is like give up but I just feel like there wouldn’t be a wildly drastic drop in the number of students accepted off the HPA list

Last edited:
Idk part of me is like give up but I just feel like there wouldn’t be a wildly drastic drop in the number of students accepted off the HPA list
I don’t think it would be a wild drop actually, 2 years ago it seemed like there was barely any waitlist movement according to SDN. It seems like it alternates every year or so

I don’t think it would be a wild drop actually, 2 years ago it seemed like there was barely any waitlist movement according to SDN. It seems like it alternates every year or so

that's true. Well, let's keep hoping lol. Glad I put Binghamton preferred

Ms. Couch also mentioned that they’re only counting the CTEd students right now as seats filled, which means this app cycle just might be screwed for us HPWL’s since that list of students shouldn’t really change that much :(
I keep thinking about this and I don't understand how they have a full class of people that are CTE although that is what they said. There are still lots of people that have PTE that are accepted at Upstate that can decide to go there or elsewhere (pending waitlist movement). It would be odd to have a full class with CTE at this point because they would risk highly over-accepting because of the remaining PTEs. I think we will have to wait until the PTEs decide until we will get more movement.

Last edited:
I keep thinking about this and I don't think they have a full class of people that are CTE. There are still lots of people that have PTE that are accepted at Upstate that can decide to go there or elsewhere (pending waitlist movement). They wouldn't have a full class with CTE because they would risk highly over-accepting because of the remaining PTEs. I think we will have to wait until the PTEs decide until we will get more movement.

Yeah it does seem a little ridiculous that literally everybody at Upstate has CTE'd by this point but we have no reason to question the posters on this forum.

Yeah it does seem a little ridiculous that literally everybody at Upstate has CTE'd by this point but we have no reason to question the posters on this forum.
Yeah so I was the one who confirmed the whole CTE/PTE thing. I wanted to make sure there was no miscommunication so I specified that I was asking if the current number of seats filled for Upstate was both PTE/CTE or solely CTE. She said it was only CTE. Now, I agree with the above comments about how that can’t be accurate if you take in to account all the PTE’s so maybe she misinterpreted what PTE/CTE meant?

Yeah so I was the one who confirmed the whole CTE/PTE thing. I wanted to make sure there was no miscommunication so I specified that I was asking if the current number of seats filled for Upstate was both PTE/CTE or solely CTE. She said it was only CTE. Now, I agree with the above comments about how that can’t be accurate if you take in to account all the PTE’s so maybe she misinterpreted what PTE/CTE meant?

yeah and the CTE date is 21 days prior to matriculation... I personally know 2 people who are accepted there with Syracuse as their rotation site and are still on waitlists at other places

I bet they’re leaving a number of spots open for PTE people but due to the number of CTE people up to this point they’re not pulling anyone from HPA, which would be consistent with the info you got

Just so people don't have to click back through the forum, I just noticed only one person here has reported getting off of the HPA list so far this year. That's a LOT less than the number of people who had reported getting off the list by now last year.

Just withdrew my application, even though i was on HPA hopefully it helps you guys out!

Reactions: 2 users