2018-2019 SUNY Upstate Medical University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone please answer this.
  • How's the curriculum

1. Is it P/F
  2. Traditional 2+2
  3. PBL or lecture?
  4. Mandatory classes, recorded lecture, both?

• What's the class size
  • How are clinical rotations?
  • Is the school laid back or more intense?
Trying to compile my pros and cons between schools. Thanks

Here you go:

1. P/F for pre-clinical, clinical years graded on H/HP/P/F
2. Yes, traditional 2+2
3. 1st/2nd year is lecture-based with a separate class that is PBL and some PBLs distributed throughout the year. System-based curriculum, with very basic sciences (biochem, genetics, immunology, microbio) as the first 2 units of MS1
4. Very few lectures are mandatory, 97% of them are recorded

Class size about 165-170 - doesn't feel like a big class especially because we divided into learning communities of around 30-40 people in your class.
Cannot speak on clinical rotations as of yet, however, you can find the tracks scheduled for 2019-2020 on Upstate's website
Pretty laid back, I do not consider it intense at all. You do your work and just focus on passing. It definitely has the community feel

If you have any questions shoot me a DM and we can talk, I'm a MS1

Members don't see this ad.

Here you go:

1. P/F for pre-clinical, clinical years graded on H/HP/P/F
2. Yes, traditional 2+2
3. 1st/2nd year is lecture-based with a separate class that is PBL and some PBLs distributed throughout the year. System-based curriculum, with very basic sciences (biochem, genetics, immunology, microbio) as the first 2 units of MS1
4. Very few lectures are mandatory, 97% of them are recorded

Class size about 165-170 - doesn't feel like a big class especially because we divided into learning communities of around 30-40 people in your class.
Cannot speak on clinical rotations as of yet, however, you can find the tracks scheduled for 2019-2020 on Upstate's website
Pretty laid back, I do not consider it intense at all. You do your work and just focus on passing. It definitely has the community feel

If you have any questions shoot me a DM and we can talk, I'm a MS1

Is it a true pass fail? Do your percentage grades matter for class ranking? How are classes rank and AOA determined?

Is it a true pass fail? Do your percentage grades matter for class ranking? How are classes rank and AOA determined?

This is tricky to answer, for the only thing that grades are utilized are for scholarships that require a certain % rank. Ranking for AOA is mostly based on 3rd-year rotations.

I must add, that no one in my class is actively comparing themselves or not sharing resources because they are aiming for the top of the class.

PM if you want to talk more about this

Members don't see this ad :)
Class rank is maintained by the registrar and is used for purposes of scholarships and AOA. Pre-clerkship grades are not factored in to the class rank reported on the MSPE which will state what quartile you are in.

anyone getting an email telling them they're missing items? I'm on the HPA, checked the portal and noticed its asking for my high school and college transcripts, but I thought I sent these thru AMCAS at the start.

anyone getting an email telling them they're missing items? I'm on the HPA, checked the portal and noticed its asking for my high school and college transcripts, but I thought I sent these thru AMCAS at the start.

No, but many schools ask for transcripts once you get accepted... I would be feeling optimistic if I were you!

Reactions: 1 user
No, but many schools ask for transcripts once you get accepted... I would be feeling optimistic if I were you!
unfortunately, applying has made me very skeptical and I'm just taking this as a possible error, but thank you.

unfortunately, applying has made me very skeptical and I'm just taking this as a possible error, but thank you.

Try checking your AAMC choose your med school tool? I totally get your apprehension, but I think this is a GOOD sign!

Try checking your AAMC choose your med school tool? I totally get your apprehension, but I think this is a GOOD sign!
yeah i checked earlier today thinking it could be an A, but nothing there. They just know how to keep your hopes up :(((

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
yeah i checked earlier today thinking it could be an A, but nothing there. They just know how to keep your hopes up :(((
I too had the spot for transcripts before any notification from the school and it was because I had been accepted. It seems good news is headed your way!

I wish you the best but keep hopes tempered. @ashway had the requirement come up before his result debuted and he got the HPA.

I wish you the best but keep hopes tempered. @ashway had the requirement come up before his result debuted and he got the HPA.
I was placed on HPA a month ago and got the requests 3 days ago, but I’m not really interpreting it in any way other than just a transcript request, gotta stay neutral lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if waitlist movement is starting ~May 1st or ~May 15. I've seen both on the forums in previous years.

Withdrew my acceptance and put my scholarship money back in the pool. I loved Upstate, hope you all do too.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

She! but yes that's true. I contacted them about it and they removed it shortly afterward. They said it was a glitch in their system.

Withdrew my acceptance and put my scholarship money back in the pool. I loved Upstate, hope you all do too.
How did you go about withdrawing? I'm withdrawing as well

Withdrew my acceptance. This was a tough one because Syracuse is my home but I hope my spot goes to one you you folks!

Reactions: 4 users
She! but yes that's true. I contacted them about it and they removed it shortly afterward. They said it was a glitch in their system.
Did you keep getting the annoying emails about missing items? I keep seeing the admissions email thinking its good news but its just to ask for those transcripts lolll

Did you keep getting the annoying emails about missing items? I keep seeing the admissions email thinking its good news but its just to ask for those transcripts lolll

Lol might as well call and ask where you are on the HPA at this point. They're basically begging you to do it.

Hey everyone. If anyone needs housing, I'm looking to sublet my spot at Theory Syracuse. You'll be with 3 3rd year students. PM for details.

nope! They have my most updated transcript with fall grades on though.

Hey. Does anyone know if the anatomy lab is its own block, or is it spread out over multiple blocks for a more wholistic approach to align with the lectures etc?

Hey. Does anyone know if the anatomy lab is its own block, or is it spread out over multiple blocks for a more wholistic approach to align with the lectures etc?
Anatomy spans all of the MS1 year, and coincides with the systems-based units.

Is it too early to inquire about your ranking on the HPA list?

Is it too early to inquire about your ranking on the HPA list?

I’m dying to. Let us know if you do. It looks like last year people got answers in the first week of May.

I’m dying to. Let us know if you do. It looks like last year people got answers in the first week of May.

Me too. It's my top school. I will probably call tomorrow, hopefully I'll get some answers because of the new AMCAS tool

Me too. It's my top school. I will probably call tomorrow, hopefully I'll get some answers because of the new AMCAS tool
If you don’t get a chance to, I’ll call tomorrow. They gave me a number to contact

If you don’t get a chance to, I’ll call tomorrow. They gave me a number to contact

Could you PM me the number? They didn't give me a number or anything. We can both try and call tomorrow and see what they say.

reluctantly withdrew my A yesterday, so many signs pointing here but ultimately decided to stay closer to home. hope it goes to one of you! ❤️

For those who have withdrawn acceptances, or will withdraw from a seat in the future, would you mind including which campus preference you held a seat for? As a HPA, I’m interested to see which campus is likely to see more movement

Que
For those who have withdrawn acceptances, or will withdraw from a seat in the future, would you mind including which campus preference you held a seat for? As a HPA, I’m interested to see which campus is likely to see more movement

Question for y’all. Regardless of your preference, if they reach your name on the list, they’ll reach out to inquire if you’re interested in the other campus right?

Que

Question for y’all. Regardless of your preference, if they reach your name on the list, they’ll reach out to inquire if you’re interested in the other campus right?

My impression is as a seat opens at either campus, they offer that seat to the next person ranked on the HPA list, regardless of that persons preference. Once all seats are full, it is possible to trade, if two people at opposite campuses are unhappy with their placement. But the trade is certainly not guaranteed.

Judging by past year threads the first day of waitlist movement here will be either May 3rd or May 15th

Judging by past year threads the first day of waitlist movement here will be either May 3rd or May 15th

I called today to inquire about my position on the HPA list and they told me my status and that they'll start pulling people off on May 15th!

I called today to inquire about my position on the HPA list and they told me my status and that they'll start pulling people off on May 15th!

Awesome! Thank you for this update. Would you mind giving me the number you called?

Mind if I ask what the status was? I called but they told me send an email. Didn't ask who I was or anything.

Que

Yes

If she says “in the last X years, we’ve gotten past your point on the waitlist” does that mean each of those years or during those years? I’m not sure why this is hard for me, if anyone has any thoughts. Her tone made it sound like EACH of those years, but after I hung up I got confused.

I caved and emailed them! They said they "have typically reached a little beyond" my position and that it's too early to tell anything really. Hopefully waitlist movement is good this year :)

• Love
Y'all convinced me to shoot my shot and email about HPA position :nailbiting:

I just called as well and they said they aren't allowed to tell people where they currently stand on the list...i am confused

• Wow
If she says “in the last X years, we’ve gotten past your point on the waitlist” does that mean each of those years or during those years? I’m not sure why this is hard for me, if anyone has any thoughts. Her tone made it sound like EACH of those years, but after I hung up I got confused.

I'm very confident you'll be getting good news this summer :happy:

I'm very confident you'll be getting good news this summer :happy:

Thanks, but I’m not so certain! I wish I clarified but now it feels too annoying to call back. She was very nice though, I’m not sure why others haven’t been able to get answers. Just take my example that even an answer can still leave you in the dark! Haha

Awesome! Thank you for this update. Would you mind giving me the number you called?
Mind if I ask what the status was? I called but they told me send an email. Didn't ask who I was or anything.

I will message you zombiegirl! and I was told that they usually reach my spot. I am hoping that means I'm going to get that A, especially as I am sat on 4 waitlists and waiting on another decision still, with no acceptances :(