2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@SOM Admissions with the school being part of both TCU and UNTHSC, will there be any overlap with the TCOM school that is already at UNTHSC? And do you know when the school will populate in AMCAS for us to send our primary application?

Members don't see this ad.

@SOM Admissions

Hello, and first of, congratulations on becoming official accredited. This is a very exciting school with an impressive mission statement.
I took a look at the requirements for receiving a secondary application, and one of them is the MCAT score. For people taking the MCAT in January who will not have scores until February, is there still a possibility for sending them secondary application (if for example they have a competitive primary application and GPA), or not?
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@SOM Admissions

Hello, and first of, congratulations on becoming official accredited. This is a very exciting school with an impressive mission statement.
I took a look at the requirements for receiving a secondary application, and one of them is the MCAT score. For people taking the MCAT in January who will not have scores until February, is there still a possibility for sending them secondary application (if for example they have a competitive primary application and GPA), or not?
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Thank you for the note and as you have anticipated, applicants for the entering class of 2019 must submit scores from 2016-2018. 2019 scores are beyond the application cycle, but would set the stage nicely for the entering class of 2020 cycle.

Hi @SOM Admissions,

Good afternoon, I just wanted to know does cell biology count as a human/mammalian physiology course? Thanks for your time.

To clarify, if we schedule something like A&P in the spring will we be considered while applying in the fall?

Reactions: 1 user
Do we have an indication of when the school will be available through AMCAS? I have heard November, but wasn't sure if there was any more specificity to that.

^ Is that also why the tuition will be significantly higher than the rest of the TX schools? (besides the first class obviously)

As a private institution, tuition is higher because the funding model does not include state support dollars - different than other TX schools.

Here's an interesting question for SOM Admissions. TCU's undergraduate program featured an institutional academic fresh start, much similar to the public academic fresh start. Will TCU graduates/alums that were granted AFS by TCU as undergraduates have that status carried forward to the medical school? To clarify, TCU's undergraduate institution removed from their system any grades for students that elected the institutional academic fresh start and I was wondering if the SOM was going to honor that?

We roll up all college credit earned (as reflected on an official transcript) to determine the truest "overall" GPA that determines the invitation to receive a secondary. We have modeled several scenarios and have discovered students who may have had a less desired start to college actually fair nicely assuming they have strong scores thereafter.

Members don't see this ad :)
@SOM Admissions Thanks for the information! In regard to your secondary pre-requisites, is it possible that graduate GPA would be considered to qualify, or will it just be undergraduate GPA?

any coursework earned is rolled up into a cumulative - we recently modeled a few scenarios of lower gpa and higher graduate work - it all depends, of course, on the figures, but this is why we are basing it on a true CUM gpa and not just from undergrad or a handful of grad work completed to-date.

Would classes such as neurophysiology or neuroanatomy be able to count as a Mammalian Physiology course? Also, is it acceptable for genetics to be taken at a community college if needed? With only one semester left until graduation, there is a schedule conflict between genetics and one of the major related classes I need to graduate.

Would classes such as neurophysiology or neuroanatomy be able to count as a Mammalian Physiology course? Also, is it acceptable for genetics to be taken at a community college if needed? With only one semester left until graduation, there is a schedule conflict between genetics and one of the major related classes I need to graduate.

We'd have to see your syllabus to determine the equivalency of your neuro courses to fufill mammalian/human-based physiology. Courses can absolutely be completed a community college. It'll also help save you a few dollars!!

@SOM Admissions if I already completed a Human Anatomy & Physiology course over summer that was not included on my AMCAS application, can I just email the grade report to Admissions for it to be added to my file after I apply?

Can we know what the letter of recommendation requirements will be?
"An applicant must submit at least three letters of recommendation, of which a committee letter will be considered one. The remaining letters are encouraged from those who can attest to professional and personal readiness for medicine. Letters from science faculty are not required. Letters must be received in order to advance in the review process." https://mdschool.tcu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/

Reactions: 2 users
"An applicant must submit at least three letters of recommendation, of which a committee letter will be considered one. The remaining letters are encouraged from those who can attest to professional and personal readiness for medicine. Letters from science faculty are not required. Letters must be received in order to advance in the review process." https://mdschool.tcu.edu/admissions/how-to-apply/

Thank you for pointing to our website - we try to include answers to the most commonly asked questions.

@SOM Admissions if I already completed a Human Anatomy & Physiology course over summer that was not included on my AMCAS application, can I just email the grade report to Admissions for it to be added to my file after I apply?

Since you've not applied to our school via AMCAS yet, check out and see if you can add this course/transcript before we receive your application. Contact AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 users
Excited!! They have a countdown in their website!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 5.18.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 5.18.15 PM.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Question - since I haven't applied through AMCAS (just TMDSAS) can I go ahead and submit for an OOS school and then add the TCU/UNTHSC later? More directly, can you make multiple submissions through AMCAS?

There are no dedicated seats reserved for any specific institution or state.

I'm guessing this means there is no in-state preference at all for TX residents? That's the best news I've heard so far!

As a private institution, tuition is higher because the funding model does not include state support dollars - different than other TX schools.

Thanks for the information! Is the tuition covered for the entering class only during the first year of medical school? Also, I understand the general consensus is more high stat applicants will apply this first year. I was wondering if this school, in turn, is planning to recruit mainly high stat applicants (I have average stats, but I believe my extra-curriculars fit this school's mission). Would love to hear your thoughts! Thank you :)

Last edited:
The TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine will appear on AMCAS on Monday, November 12 at 9:00a EST.

The deadline to submit the AMCAS is December 15, 2018 at 11:59pm EST.

Reactions: 2 users
The TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine will appear on AMCAS on Monday, November 12 at 9:00a EST.

The deadline to submit the AMCAS is December 15, 2018 at 11:59pm EST.

Will it be possible to take the genetics/A&P class in the spring or summer, or are they needed to apply/interview/get acceptance?

Will it be possible to take the genetics/A&P class in the spring or summer, or are they needed to apply/interview/get acceptance?
The FAQ says that you can apply but if you are accepted you need to send them your transcript by June 1st. So probably, not enough time to take it over the summer

Is admissions rolling for the time that the application is open?

Based on the website, interviews (“MD Visit Days”) will take place Jan to April. And admissions decisions are on a rolling basis from April to June.

We'd have to see your syllabus to determine the equivalency of your neuro courses to fufill mammalian/human-based physiology. Courses can absolutely be completed a community college. It'll also help save you a few dollars!!

How can I check and see if these courses will be approved? Can I email or call someone to do so?

Based on the website, interviews (“MD Visit Days”) will take place Jan to April. And admissions decisions are on a rolling basis from April to June.

Admission decisions will begin in late-January through mid-April.

Will this school be pre-screening for secondaries?

Their website says that applicants with a minimum 497 MCAT and a minimum overall 3.0 GPA will receive a secondary.

Will the school information be posted on MSAR this year?
Is there an attendance policy laid out?

Thanks for answering all of the previous questions!