2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will trends in GPA be taken into consideration?

Members don't see this ad.

Other than genetics. Are there any other courses that would satisfy this requirement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will trends in GPA be taken into consideration?

Trends - I'll answer this from how we view the data and that is that we see it all, and typically, upward trends are expected and viewed positively. If you declined as you progressed or the courses became more difficult, this would send us a concern.

Will the school not accept the application at all if I haven't taken any type of physiology other than freshman bio? This is the only school for which that is a firm requirement...

Reactions: 1 user
Will the school not accept the application at all if I haven't taken any type of physiology other than freshman bio? This is the only school for which that is a firm requirement...

You can apply without the class, but if accepted, you would need to take the class (in the spring) in order to matriculate.

You could take a physiology class in Spring 2019, but if you don't have a physiology course, you will not meet their expectations for pre-requisite classes. Several people have asked this same question and gotten the same answer. :confused:

The information regarding prerequisite courses says that "All prerequisite courses must be passed with a grade of C or higher" but then in parenthesis, it adds that "(C-courses do not qualify)"

My question is, can a student with a C in a prerequisite course be considered for admission? Or will they be considered but required to re-take the class prior to enrollment, if accepted?

Thanks for your willingness to respond on this platform! :)

The information regarding prerequisite courses says that "All prerequisite courses must be passed with a grade of C or higher" but then in parenthesis, it adds that "(C-courses do not qualify)"

My question is, can a student with a C in a prerequisite course be considered for admission? Or will they be considered but required to re-take the class prior to enrollment, if accepted?

Thanks for your willingness to respond on this platform! :)
"C minus courses do not qualify" meaning C or C+ grade in the course would be fine.

Hello @SOM Admissions

Would a Physiology course taken through a graduate school based SMP (Special Master's Program) satisfy the necessary pre-requisite? Or does the Physiology course have to strictly been taken during my undergraduate years? In general, would the admissions office look at my other graduate science coursework as courses that could potentially satisfy the pre-requisites as stated on the website? Thank you for all the helpful responses!

Hello @SOM Admissions

Would a Physiology course taken through a graduate school based SMP (Special Master's Program) satisfy the necessary pre-requisite? Or does the Physiology course have to strictly been taken during my undergraduate years? In general, would the admissions office look at my other graduate science coursework as courses that could potentially satisfy the pre-requisites as stated on the website? Thank you for all the helpful responses!

Graduate work is certainly acceptable! The physiology course would need to cover the topics listed here to be considered satisfactory - take a look and compare to your course syllabus. https://mdschool.tcu.edu/admissions/how-to-prepare-a-competitive-application/

Reactions: 1 users
Folks, it's about to get real around here in FW! We are so excited to "meet you all" very soon!
3 days.png

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can Calculus 2 be used to replace statistics prerequisite?

Hi @SOM Admissions.

At my university, the topics listed on the website are covered by both A&P I and A&P II. If only A&P I is taken, would that still fulfill the requirements or would be be necessary to go back and take A&P II? Thank you so much for your responses!

Hi @SOM Admissions.

At my university, the topics listed on the website are covered by both A&P I and A&P II. If only A&P I is taken, would that still fulfill the requirements or would be be necessary to go back and take A&P II? Thank you so much for your responses!

Sounds like A&P II would be best given your self-assessment.

Happy Friday! It's a gorgeous fall morning in Fort Worth! I can't wait for Monday to roll around....who says that? Our SOM does!
2 days.png

Reactions: 8 users
We are on the home stretch before counting down the hours to the start of a new chapter in the TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine.
1 day.png

Reactions: 6 users
Is there going to be a secondary application required?

Is there a maximum number of letters? I know that we must send at least 3, but is this all the committee would like to receive or may applicants send more?

More than 5 would be excessive.

I have a question about letters as well. For those of us with health professions committees, all of our letters are submitted as a packet to AMCAS. For each of the 27 schools I've applied to, this counted as fulfilling the LOR requirements (whatever they may have been, 3 or 4, etc). The information session on Saturday, however, made it sound like our letter packet would only fill one letter slot for TCU. Should we resubmit letters that are already in that packet individually or am I misunderstanding the info? Certainly, we won't need to conjure up two additional letter writers this late in the cycle? My packet already contains 7 letters.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for attending Saturday's Applicant Information Day - we enjoyed everyone's engagement and energy!

As shared then, our system cannot separate letters that are compiled into a packet. We suggest you contact AMCAS to see what, if anything, can be done to separate and also take the opportunity to present additional perspectives (from work, volunteer activities, research lab, etc) of you by submitting additional letters.

Can letters be submitted via interfolio or just through AMCAS?

Submitted my application!

When should we hear back for a secondary?

It's official - we are live on AMCAS!

Our office will begin reviewing applications and anticipate, at the earliest, inviting those who meet the minimum thresholds as stated on our website to complete the secondary application later in the week. Even then, we will be conservative in our invitations for the first few days or so to ensure our technology is working to avoid any disruptions for applicants that only cause concern.

Reminders: your secondary application should be approached as if we are sitting across the table from one another. Be genuine, authentic, real and embrace our innovations to identify a future Empathetic Scholar. We are doing something different in Fort Worth, Texas from application through graduation!

Thank you for attending Saturday's Applicant Information Day - we enjoyed everyone's engagement and energy!

As shared then, our system cannot separate letters that are compiled into a packet. We suggest you contact AMCAS to see what, if anything, can be done to separate and also take the opportunity to present additional perspectives (from work, volunteer activities, research lab, etc) of you by submitting additional letters.

Unfortunately, AMCAS doesn't allow the packet to be separated. Would it be acceptable to resubmit letters that were already included in the packet individually? If I'm understanding correctly, it's not that you want more letter per se, but rather that a processing issue prevents your system from recognizing that there are indeed 7 separate and distinct letters included in one electronically delivered package?

I feel like most applicants will have put their best foot forward with letters writers already and requesting letters from new writers that might not be as strong seems like it would do more harm than good (premed 101 is to make sure your letters are strong), not to mention the logistics of giving new letter writers time to compose the letter and AMCAS to process them would delay the application by several weeks.

I appreciate the technical difficulties of implementing a new system but I hope something can be done to bring TCU's system in line with other AMCAS schools with regard to the LOR process. Thanks again for your continued responses.

About the letters of recommendations, I have a packet of 7 (similar to the other poster), but I also have two other letters from that packet that is separate. My question is can I submit the packet, plus the two (separate but also already in the packet) in order to fulfill the three letter requirement? Tried contacting AMCAS, they stated all letters have to be resubmitted by the letter writer otherwise.

Unfortunately, AMCAS doesn't allow the packet to be separated. Would it be acceptable to resubmit letters that were already included in the packet individually? If I'm understanding correctly, it's not that you want more letter per se, but rather that a processing issue prevents your system from recognizing that there are indeed 7 separate and distinct letters included in one electronically delivered package?

I feel like most applicants will have put their best foot forward with letters writers already and requesting letters from new writers that might not be as strong seems like it would do more harm than good (premed 101 is to make sure your letters are strong), not to mention the logistics of giving new letter writers time to compose the letter and AMCAS to process them would delay the application by several weeks.

I appreciate the technical difficulties of implementing a new system but I hope something can be done to bring TCU's system in line with other AMCAS schools with regard to the LOR process. Thanks again for your continued responses.

Very fair and know that we are exploring options to level-set the variance in how committee letters are submitted. Packet of letters are more easily understood to be a grouping of individual letters.

We will be sure to address this when we begin inviting for secondary applications. Until then, it is wise to have a backup plan, which could be a request of your prehealth/career office to submit two of your already-submitted letters individually.

About the letters of recommendations, I have a packet of 7 (similar to the other poster), but I also have two other letters from that packet that is separate. My question is can I submit the packet, plus the two (separate but also already in the packet) in order to fulfill the three letter requirement? Tried contacting AMCAS, they stated all letters have to be resubmitted by the letter writer otherwise.

That was my exact question. Since the problem seems to be technical rather than a fundamental need, are we able to separately submit two letters that are already in the packet in order to allow the system to check off the numerical letter requirements?

Very fair and know that we are exploring options to level-set the variance in how committee letters are submitted. Packet of letters are more easily understood to be a grouping of individual letters.

We will be sure to address this when we begin inviting for secondary applications. Until then, it is wise to have a backup plan, which could be a request of your prehealth/career office to submit two of your already-submitted letters individually.

Great, that should be quite easily attainable. I will speak with them today about it. Thank you!

Thank you for asking - we actually default to the calculations ran and verified through the AMCAS process. Since they receive and calculate grade point averages from any college wherein credit was earned, you might want to explore a few of the AMCAS GPA calculators models out on the web and plug in your coursework to get an estimate of the AMCAS-generated GPA.

I'm curious about curriculum type (traditional, PBL, Block/systems), if attendance/dress code is optional, and if lectures will be available online.

Is there a recommended deadline for receipt of secondary applications? I know the actual deadline is January 15th, but does this school prefer they come within 2 weeks of invitation?

Last edited:
UPDATE TO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION:

A PACKET THAT INCLUDES AT LEAST 3 LETTERS WILL COMPLETE OUR LETTER REQUIREMENT.

A COMMITTEE LETTER, WITH 2 ADDITIONAL INDIVIDUAL LETTERS ATTACHED, WILL COMPLETE OUR LETTER REQUIREMENT. If you committee letter is a true summation of your performance and does not have additional individual letters, you will need to submit 2 additional letters.

Reactions: 3 users
Great, that should be quite easily attainable. I will speak with them today about it. Thank you!

A COMMITTEE LETTER, WITH 2 ADDITIONAL INDIVIDUAL LETTERS ATTACHED, WILL COMPLETE OUR LETTER REQUIREMENT. If you committee letter is a true summation of your performance and does not have additional individual letters, you will need to submit 2 additional letters.

That was my exact question. Since the problem seems to be technical rather than a fundamental need, are we able to separately submit two letters that are already in the packet in order to allow the system to check off the numerical letter requirements?

I plan to take Anatomy and physiology in the spring at a community college(already graduated), will I still be considered for an interview?

Is there a recommended deadline for receipt of secondary applications? I know the actual deadline is January 15th, but does this school prefer they come within 2 weeks of invitation?

We do not have any internal date different than what is posted. No hidden secret to the timing.

We do not have any internal date different than what is posted. No hidden secret to the timing.

Thank you for clarifying! Regarding the letters of recommendation, my school does not send out a committee letter so I am planning to submit all individual letters. Is this something I should email admissions about to inform them why I am not sending in a committee packet?

Thank you for clarifying! Regarding the letters of recommendation, my school does not send out a committee letter so I am planning to submit all individual letters. Is this something I should email admissions about to inform them why I am not sending in a committee packet?

Perfect - there is nothing you need to do more than have the letters sent directly to AMCAS. We do not require a committee letter, but want to be fair to those who do submit this option.

Perfect - there is nothing you need to do more than have the letters sent directly to AMCAS. We do not require a committee letter, but want to be fair to those who do submit this option.

Great, thanks! And just to confirm, submitting a maximum of 5 letters is okay?

Great, thanks! And just to confirm, submitting a maximum of 5 letters is okay?

We require a minimum of three and while we have no maximum, 5 is okay. Be sure they represent different perspectives of you and not just all one side.

We require a minimum of three and while we have no maximum, 5 is okay. Be sure they represent different perspectives of you and not just all one side.

Awesome, thanks! I went ahead and applied here :)