2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine (Fort Worth, Texas) has now been granted preliminary accreditation. This MD school expects to begin accepting applications in November 2018 for EY 2019 inaugural class.

They will be using the AMCAS application system. Read about their goals and mission here, and watch for more info when the application officially opens. https://mdschool.tcu.edu/about-us/the-tcu-and-unthsc-partnership/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Kinda disappointed that they are opening the app this late in the cycle...why open late rather than next cycle? Rushing stuff like this never turns out bueno to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda disappointed that they are opening the app this late in the cycle...why open late rather than next cycle? Rushing stuff like this never turns out bueno to me.
It’s because the LCME publishes their evaluation reports in October. The school seems well prepared to hit the ground running. 3 years ago Dell and UTRGV had the same timeline.

Reactions: 3 users
Now to wait patiently (not really) for the school to be added to AMCAS! :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users

Like you, we wish the accreditation timeline would have aligned to a typical cycle. However, we have watched others (i.e. Washington State) manage a successful recruitment in the time provided and look forward to meeting applicants for the entering class of 2019.

Reactions: 7 users
Like you, we wish the accreditation timeline would have aligned to a typical cycle. However, we have watched others (i.e. Washington State) manage a successful recruitment in the time provided and look forward to meeting applicants for the entering class of 2019.

Will the TCU UNTHSC MD school be reserving any spots per say for TCU students/ graduates?

^and to follow up on that, how does this so-called reservation system work, if there is such a thing? I heard only TCU students were going to receive the app only. Currently not a TCU student but would be interested in checking the place out (in the form of an open house or interview), even if I don't go there. Grew up in Fort Worth so home's got a special place to me! However, if you are putting it in AMCAS, I guess technically anyone could apply.

^and to follow up on that, how does this so-called reservation system work, if there is such a thing? I heard only TCU students were going to receive the app only. Currently not a TCU student but would be interested in checking the place out (in the form of an open house or interview), even if I don't go there. Grew up in Fort Worth so home's got a special place to me! However, if you are putting it in AMCAS, I guess technically anyone could apply.

We are seeking applications from all who find our medical school to be a good fit to their medical education goals.

I hope with the mission of your school to create empathetic physicians, you take the holistic approach to select applicants who are well rounded, emotionally intelligent, and academically qualified with depths of experience and cultural competency. Not just the 90th+ percentile mcat scorers.

I hope with the mission of your school to create empathetic physicians, you take the holistic approach to select applicants who are well rounded, emotionally intelligent, and academically qualified with depths of experience and cultural competency. Not just the 90th+ percentile mcat scorers.

Thank you for this comment and any medical school should be looking at the student who will thrive in their specific educational environment to "live" the mission with balanced readiness in professional and personal attributes; scores are a but a piece of your story and trust me when I say our secondary application and review and selection processes are grounded in identifying those with the qualities of a budding Empathetic ScholarTM.

Reactions: 9 users
Thank you for this comment and any medical school should be looking at the student who will thrive in their specific educational environment to "live" the mission with balanced readiness in professional and personal attributes; scores are a but a piece of your story and trust me when I say our secondary application and review and selection processes are grounded in identifying those with the qualities of a budding Empathetic ScholarTM.

That’s very reassuring and nice to hear. I hope you have a successful cycle this year with getting the right fit students. Can’t wait to apply here as soon as your school shows up on amcas!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really interested in both this school and TCOM but am curious as to what relationship will be like between these two schools be in terms of local 3rd and 4th year clinical rotation sites. Any insight will help!

I'm really interested in both this school and TCOM but am curious as to what relationship will be like between these two schools be in terms of local 3rd and 4th year clinical rotation sites. Any insight will help!

Our curricula is entirely different and not affiliated with any existing program, so there isn’t a relationship beyond collegiality and a shared passion for providing great patient care.

Like any area with multiple medical schools, clinical partners are common and students will become familiar with others in training.

All that we can project is an approximate window of early-November. We’ll keep all updated if an exact date becomes known to us from the AAMC.
This gives everyone a chance to make sure that they're ready to go in AMCAS as soon as you're live.

Is our school's committee letter enough for TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine or do we need more letters in addition to our committee letter?

Is our school's committee letter enough for TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine or do we need more letters in addition to our committee letter?

An applicant must submit at least three letters of recommendation, of which a committee letter will be considered one. The remaining letters are encouraged from those who can attest to professional and personal readiness for medicine. Letters from science faculty are not required. Letters must be received in order to advance in the review process.

What will tuition look like after the first year? Online, I saw that the inaugural class has free tuition for the first year, but I didn't see any tuition for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year.

What will tuition look like after the first year? Online, I saw that the inaugural class has free tuition for the first year, but I didn't see any tuition for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year.

First-year tuition is 57,500, although covered 100% for the charter class. While tuition for subsequent years is set annually and is always subject to change, this should give you a perspective of private tuition.

Last edited:
Since this school does not participate in TMDSAS are they not required to accept 90% of texas resident applicants?

Since this school does not participate in TMDSAS are they not required to accept 90% of texas resident applicants?

As a private institution with a national application, we are able to remain flexible in our entering class composition to identify the best fit for our program regardless of residency classification.

^ Is that also why the tuition will be significantly higher than the rest of the TX schools? (besides the first class obviously)

^ Is that also why the tuition will be significantly higher than the rest of the TX schools? (besides the first class obviously)

TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine does not receive any Texas state appropriations to subsidize the cost of providing medical education, therefore the financial "burden" of educating physicians is placed on the medical school.

Super bummed about not being able to apply here. Gonna be so jealous watching you guys roam around campus interviewing. Best of luck y’all!

Anyone look at the prereqs. Mammalian physiology as a required course is odd. I wonder if they'll take anatomy and physiology and if not how it will impact the applicant pool since that's a rare course. It's only offered once every 2 years at my postbacc place. Excited though this high up on my school list, love the area and have family around.

Anyone look at the prereqs. Mammalian physiology as a required course is odd. I wonder if they'll take anatomy and physiology and if not how it will impact the applicant pool since that's a rare course. It's only offered once every 2 years at my postbacc place. Excited though this high up on my school list, love the area and have family around.

“Mammalian” physiology is not the literal course we seek, rather it is listed to clarify we are looking for coursework within the human (or warm-blooded) content area; otherwise, we receive Spider Phys, Plant Phys, etc.

A & P is the most common course to fulfill this requirement.

Reactions: 2 users
“Mammalian” physiology is not the literal course we seek, rather it is listed to clarify we are looking for coursework within the human (or warm-blooded) content area; otherwise, we receive Spider Phys, Plant Phys, etc.

A & P is the most common course to fulfill this requirement.

Does bio 1&2 satisfy this? Just curious because this is the first program I’ve seen ask for a physiology course.

Does bio 1&2 satisfy this? Just curious because this is the first program I’ve seen ask for a physiology course.

While Bio 1 and 2 are often introductory courses that do cover living systems, a separate physiology-focused course is what we are seeking.

Does Texas need another private school (or any school rather)?

Can anyone comment on what they expect the tuition to be after this first year?

Does Texas need another private school (or any school rather)?

Can anyone comment on what they expect the tuition to be after this first year?

We are fortunate to join the great State of Texas' medical education community and look forward to serving our patients in Fort Worth and beyond.
First-year tuition is 57,500, although covered 100% for the charter class. While tuition for subsequent years is set annually and is always subject to change, this should give you a perspective of private tuition.

@SOM Admissions Thanks for the information! In regard to your secondary pre-requisites, is it possible that graduate GPA would be considered to qualify, or will it just be undergraduate GPA?

Here's an interesting question for SOM Admissions. TCU's undergraduate program featured an institutional academic fresh start, much similar to the public academic fresh start. Will TCU graduates/alums that were granted AFS by TCU as undergraduates have that status carried forward to the medical school? To clarify, TCU's undergraduate institution removed from their system any grades for students that elected the institutional academic fresh start and I was wondering if the SOM was going to honor that?

What do y'all think the stats for the entering class will be?

What do y'all think the stats for the entering class will be?

Considering the location and only 60 seats..... my guess would be high stats for the entering class. Although since the application date is so late maybe there will be less that average applications than other medical schools in texas! It will be interesting to see for sure.

Considering the location and only 60 seats..... my guess would be high stats for the entering class. Although since the application date is so late maybe there will be less that average applications than other medical schools in texas! It will be interesting to see for sure.
We might know more once more financial info comes out in regards to scholarships and deals past the first year.

They say that they will look at e/ applicant "holistically" so hopefully they consider scrubs like me
+1 the curriculum seems interesting but stat wise I hope they arent going to be like other TX schools that seem to love high GPA

Here's an interesting question for SOM Admissions. TCU's undergraduate program featured an institutional academic fresh start, much similar to the public academic fresh start. Will TCU graduates/alums that were granted AFS by TCU as undergraduates have that status carried forward to the medical school? To clarify, TCU's undergraduate institution removed from their system any grades for students that elected the institutional academic fresh start and I was wondering if the SOM was going to honor that?

Thank you for asking - we actually default to the calculations ran and verified through the AMCAS process. Since they receive and calculate grade point averages from any college wherein credit was earned, you might want to explore a few of the AMCAS GPA calculators models out on the web and plug in your coursework to get an estimate of the AMCAS-generated GPA.

Thank you for asking - we actually default to the calculations ran and verified through the AMCAS process. Since they receive and calculate grade point averages from any college wherein credit was earned, you might want to explore a few of the AMCAS GPA calculators models out on the web and plug in your coursework to get an estimate of the AMCAS-generated GPA.

Thank you for the quick response!