2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
“This” isn’t make me irritated, your comments in response to people trying to give you information from what they heard during their interview (which actually turned out to be very similar to what SOM responded) is what’s irritating. I am all for meaningful and thought provoking discussion and SDN is an appropriate place for that. However, your comments did not appear to be promoting that but instead appeared to be passive aggression towards people who were trying to help. If you have a direct question for SOM you could just email admissions directly as I am sure they would be happy to help you.

Also, people process and deal with situations/stressors differently. I am happy that you are calm during this application process, but for a lot of people calm is the furthest thing from their minds. Perhaps a coping mechanism is to post on here expressing their concerns, hopes, ideas and opinions and in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with that. Yes, this forum should have meaningful and thought provoking content, but it should also be a community where we support and uplift each other through this very stressful time. Telling someone to stop stressing isn’t actually going to help them stop stressing. Instead you can try encouraging words.

Best of luck to you with the rest of this application cycle and in your career.

Let’s stay positive, stay away from all the passive aggressiveness, please.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Challenge accepted:

"I hear the Interview a comin'
Its rollin' round the bend
And I aint seen that Rejection email
Since, my app sent in
I'm stuck in Interview Season
And time keeps draggin' on
But those Interviews keep a-rollin'
Adcom, please give me one"

Verse 2: coming soon (after the interview invitation ;) )

And what wouldn't go better with this song than a album solo cover

View attachment 249398

As promised, the highly-anticipated second verse to "Interview Season". Folsom Prison is a tough to work with, like seriously whats something good that rhymes with Reno?? but let's see what I can do here folks. And hey, I know its late, but when does a band actually start on time at a concert, eh?

Since, my app sent in

"When I was at the 'brary,
I got the email "Son,
Congrats here's your interview,
Come over and have some fun"
And I planned my visit pronto
Noooottt that hard to decide
When I hear the adcom likes me
I lift my head with pride"

Coming soon: verse 3. Post-interview!

In case anyone noticed, I thought it was only fitting to enter the Fort Worth Union Pacific railyard with some lovely UP trains, so we switched engines, haha. And yes, we are going towards Fort Worth, not away from it, in that image.
View attachment 250981

Ladies and Gents, I never make a promise that I cannot keep; Therefore, here comes yet our third installation into the highly anticipated "Interview Season" soundtrack (Yes, yes, I know, everyone you can hold your applause). Before I get started, I'd like to give a big shout out to all the awesome interviewers that I met yesterday, y'all were super great and I wish the best for all of you! Also, a enormous shout out to @SOM Admissions. I can speak for all interviewers yesterday that we appreciate the tremendous job you did for us. In addition to my personal thanks at the end of the day, I hope I do not disappoint with this latest verse!

Now, on with what everyone is clearly waiting for, huh (again you can hold your applause). Now, I was just about to submit "epic guitar solo," ha, but just can't let everyone down. So this is the best I could come up with! Hope you like it!

Since, my app sent in

“When I was at the 'brary,
I got the email "Son,
I lift my head with pride”

Iconic guitar solo

"I bet the adcom’s thinkin’
In their fancy meeting hall
They’re probably drinking coffee
And evaluatin’ us all
Well I know my fate, its comin’
I know I’m not home free
But their decisions keep a-movin’
Adcom, please accept me"

The fourth and final verse: coming in 10ish days. No matter what the final decision is, whether an A, H, or R, one will be composed. Yes, I would like an A, but at the same time, to me, an H or R means my final destination is better somewhere else in some other way, and I definitely encourage everyone to look at their situation from that POV. Good luck to everyone in 10 days.

Obiwan: "Anakin, its impossible to dock a UP train at the IREB"
Anakin: "You underestimate my power"
View attachment 253641

Howdy SDN! Every day is a new day, and I hope all of us are enjoying it and making the most of it! So lets start today by getting this thread back on track (hehe pun intended) where it was with a little iconic music. I hate to break the news to ya, but this is the 4th and final verse of “Interview Season”. I know I know, I’m sorry to disappoint. Trust me, I wish Johnny Cash wouldn’t stop singing either. Buuuuuuuuttt I made this finale a special one. The more I thought about it, the more I couldn’t help myself but include 2 versions of the final verse, one about A and one about H/R. Sing and pass one whichever fits you better, or use them both because why not!

Without further ado:

Since, my app sent in

“When I was at the 'brary,
I got the email "Son,
I lift my head with pride”

Iconic guitar solo
I bet the adcom’s thinkin’
In their fancy meeting hall
They’re probably drinking coffee
And evaluatin’ us all
Well I know my fate, its comin’
I know I’m not home free
But their decisions keep a-movin’
Adcom, please accept me

Iconic guitar solo

A Verse

Well if they freed me from this waitin’
If that Acceptance call was mine
I bet I’d take the day off
A little celebration time
Far from Interview Season
That’s where I get to stay
And I’d let my new acceptance
Blow my blues away

H/R Verse

Well if they messaged me Rejection
Or if that Hold email was mine
I bet I’d keep waitin’ on
Or reapply in time
Far from Interview Season
That where I wished to stay
But I won’t let one unsuccessful cycle
Blow my dreams away

In light of another round of admissions review tomorrow, I thought it was also fitting to get this out ASAP. Good luck tomorrow everyone! We’re all in the same boat with the same goal, so lets stay in it together.

Adios to our UP into the dusk. Until next time!
Interview Season 4 cover.png

Edit for format, a few times hehe

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
Another Friday is approaching!! ahhhh!

Also thanks @BBBallIsLife this thread needed a little pick me up! :D

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys quick question, for those of you that received a TCU acceptance or hold email, about what time did you receive them on Friday (Central or EST or PST)?

Hey guys quick question, for those of you that received a TCU acceptance or hold email, about what time did you receive them on Friday. (Central or EST or PST)?
My hold emails have varied from ~5 to ~6 PM Central Time

Hi @SOM Admissions, thanks for taking the time to answer questions. Will accepted student GPA and MCAT statistics be available to other accepted students prior to the deadline for making school decisions on April 30?

Hi @SOM Admissions, thanks for taking the time to answer questions. Will accepted student GPA and MCAT statistics be available to other accepted students prior to the deadline for making school decisions on April 30?

While the MSAR will report this out after the cycle closes, we would hope that other data are important — composition of backgrounds, experiences, diversity — over just individual academic performance.

Reactions: 6 users
Any general advice on the MMI? Planning on "knowing my app" and learning more about the school for now, with a couple of behavioral questions in between

Members don't see this ad :)
Any general advice on the MMI? Planning on "knowing my app" and learning more about the school for now, with a couple of behavioral questions in between

If you want an answer from me, here it is. If you want SOM to answer, you can pass up on it!

Its hard to prep for these things since they can literally ask you anything. We also signed a contract saying we wouldnt share any info, so we won't be able to give you any individualized advice. However, take a look at this: https://students-residents.aamc.org...ts-participate-multiple-mini-interviews-mmis/. They also have a nice little introductory MMI video the day of your MDAVD! Have you ever done an MMI before? Could probably find some good advice on the forums here. Definitely doesn't hurt to know what you submitted in AMCAS as well as you secondary.

Reactions: 1 users
I would also say know yourself and and your app. That way you can have a smoother delivery when you talk about what-would-you-do-in-this-situation type questions, or other kinds.

Maybe read about ethical issues. I didnt, but I know some people who did. Overall, the MMIs are low stress! The TCU staff are very kind. Just do your best.

Reactions: 1 user
While the MSAR will report this out after the cycle closes, we would hope that other data are important — composition of backgrounds, experiences, diversity — over just individual academic performance.
Thanks for the reply. The data you mentioned is absolutely important and will help create a great class, but having as much information as possible is helpful when making such an important decision. I’m looking forward to learning more.

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but what is TCU's policy on deferred enrollment?
For example, here is Albert Einstein College of medicine's remarks on deferred enrollment:

M.D. Admissions
Deferred Enrollment
"Students who would like to defer their enrollment for a period of one year may petition the Committee on Admissions, in writing. Such requests may be considered only if during the deferral year the student will be involved either in completing coursework leading to a degree, a specified research project, or a clinical activity in which he/she will receive a better understanding and appreciation for the delivery of healthcare. No other proposals qualify for deferral."

Just got a hold email, so still in the running.

Reactions: 3 users
Got an R 3 weeks later :( super bummed but best of luck to all still in the running!

I also got an R after being placed on hold for 2 weeks. Sad to be out, but hoping everyone else hears some good news. Good luck!

Emailed this evening, hold round 2 here we go!

Chiming in with my 4th hold! Still excited to be in the running.
3 weeks left and the admissions committee will have reviewed all interviewees! Hopefully more A's go out in the next couple of weeks and I'm included!! Praying literally errrrdayyy! :D

Last edited:
Congrats to those recently accepted!

I wish they were more communicative with those in the pre-interview batch. I understand every application is “active” but I’m sure some are higher priority than others. Just to have some sense of our application status.

Got my 8th hold tonight lol I’m glad I’m still being considered!

Reactions: 7 users
Chiming in with my 4th hold! Still excited to be in the running.
3 weeks left and the admissions committee will have reviewed all interviewees! Hopefully more A's go out in the next couple of weeks and I'm included!! Praying literally errrrdayyy! :D

+`1! fingers crossed for all of us!

Do we have to do clinical rotations starting in first year? I was a bit confused about this at my interview. So we will have a 14 month accelerated curriculum, clinical rotations, and longitudinal research project all at once?

Do we have to do clinical rotations starting in first year? I was a bit confused about this at my interview. So we will have a 14 month accelerated curriculum, clinical rotations, and longitudinal research project all at once?

You’ll spend an afternoon every other week in a clinical setting during Phase 1 (14 months) and you’ll stay with this site during Phase 2 (13 months - Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship). Remember, we are not “accelerating” content, but rather spiraling so that you continue with basic science concepts as they apply to clinical situations as you progress. Or said another way, you’re not expected to learn all basic science in 14 months and then walk away from the content.

Reactions: 9 users
You’ll spend an afternoon every other week in a clinical setting during Phase 1 (14 months) and you’ll stay with this site during Phase 2 (13 months - Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship). Remember, we are not “accelerating” content, but rather spiraling so that you continue with basic science concepts as they apply to clinical situations as you progress. Or said another way, you’re not expected to learn all basic science in 14 months and then walk away from the content.

Thanks! Would you be able to provide which rotation sites will be available? Will they cover most specialties?

EDIT: Found the clinical partners on the website if anyone was wondering:

https://mdschool.tcu.edu/community/clinical-partners/

Last edited:
Thanks! Would you be able to provide which rotation sites will be available? Will they cover most specialties?

EDIT: Found the clinical partners on the website if anyone was wondering:

https://mdschool.tcu.edu/community/clinical-partners/

The Phase 1 activity is dedicated to either internal medicine or family medicine - those will continue in LIC plus the other 5 required disciplines (surgery, ob/gyn, pediatrics, neurology, psychiatry). You will also rotate through emergency medicine and surgical/non-surgical subspecialties throughout the LIC.

Reactions: 8 users
@SOM Admissions I just saw the information for second look and had a question about guests. Besides the baseball game, should we bring our guest to any other events or are those for the prospective students only? Thanks again for all your help on this forum!

@SOM Admissions Are you done sending out interview invitations at this point in the cycle?
I would guess that they probably are done. The last scheduled interview is for next Monday (4/8). If you are local though, I know that have called people when there is a cancellation on short notice!

Is there a date when the "on hold" emails stop going out one way or another, and a traditional "wait list" will begin?

Is there a date when the "on hold" emails stop going out one way or another, and a traditional "wait list" will begin?
On their website under the admissions timeline tab, I think it said that they plan to fill the class in mid-April and then will create a waitlist for any spots that open up after that.

They’re filling the class by their last committee meeting which is on (EDIT: 4/18). We’ll know if we’ve been accepted rejected or waitlisted by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone here weighing multiple offers? Would love to chat and have a conversation. Feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
ICYW: just read in a newsletter that TCU-UNTHSC received 650 apps on the first day. Wowzers! Congrats to everyone making it through H, or A so far! And even for those with an R, still a huge accomplishment to get an MDAVD!

Reactions: 6 users
@SOM Admissions

Do you guys have a sample weekly schedule? I was a bit confused during the interview regarding when is white space, small group meetings, which days are at which campus and which activities are alternated one afternoon a week. This would be very helpful in getting an image of the weeks will look like.

Reactions: 4 users
Welp today is the day :oops: . Just refreshing my email like crazy waiting for an Acceptance or Rejection. Good luck to everyone with interviewed on March 25 and good luck to all the people on hold.

Welp today is the day :oops: . Just refreshing my email like crazy waiting for an Acceptance or Rejection. Good luck to everyone with interviewed on March 25 and good luck to all the people on hold.

To give you somewhat peace of mind, they consistently send their hold/decisions e-mails around 3-5 pm Pacific time. Save the refreshing until then

• Love
Just got the hold email. :shrug: at least it's not a rejection...

Got the hold email at 5:30

5th hold today! :bang: Please just love me bc I already love you!! Lol, but seriously :)

Chants: PATIENCE is a virtue. Patience is a virtue. *Woosahh* patience is a virtue.. :nailbiting:

We are in this together folks and we just have to hold on a little while longer. Best wishes to you all that are waiting along with me and congratulations to those accepted today!!!

Well friends, officially got the R today over email a little after 6. A little disappointed, but still trying to hold my head up high! Congrats to everyone accepted or still under consideration! Looks like yall are gonna have to find yourself a new music composer...

Thank you to everyone in this thread as well as SOM Admissions for the support and quick feedback. An environment with a supportive student and faculty environment, as seen here, will undoubtedly succeed. Best of luck to everyone here!

To everyone still reading this thread, let’s not let the R slow us down! We’ll find our place soon. Hang in there, friends.

Adios to all!

Reactions: 16 users
Well friends, officially got the R today over email a little after 6. A little disappointed, but still trying to hold my head up high! Congrats to everyone accepted or still under consideration! Looks like yall are gonna have to find yourself a new music composer...

Thank you to everyone in this thread as well as SOM Admissions for the support and quick feedback. An environment with a supportive student and faculty environment, as seen here, will undoubtedly succeed. Best of luck to everyone here!

To everyone still reading this thread, let’s not let the R slow us down! We’ll find our place soon. Hang in there, friends.

Adios to all!
Awww, I thought you nailed the spirit of the school. Keep on being creative

On hold once again!

Still so thankful to still be considered, will honestly be grateful to even be on the "official" WL when final decisions are made (but still praying for that acceptance call!)

Adios to all!

Thanks for your contributions to this thread!! we will miss you!! :(