Mar 23, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Not looking for anything specific. But can anyone say if the MMI was acting/interactive vs hypothetical/conversationally based or a mix?
In my experience there seems to be two very different kinds of MMI out there. Really hoping for the latter.
I would like to know this as well.

Aug 2, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I would like to know this as well.
All future interviewees, be aware of the fact that all applicants that already interviewed signed a confidentiality agreement regarding all aspects of their MMI format. Just be able to think on your feet and articulate answers in a non-scripted manner. This school has given as much information as they want to divulge about their MMIs on their website and portal.

Mar 23, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
All future interviewees, be aware of the fact that all applicants that already interviewed signed a confidentiality agreement regarding all aspects of their MMI format. Just be able to think on your feet and articulate answers in a non-scripted manner. This school has given as much information as they want to divulge about their MMIs on their website and portal.
Thank you for your reply. My confusion was regarding the style of MMIs as I've never done had this kind of an interview. Fortunately, I found my FAQs answered by the SOM on page 17.

If anyone's interested, here is SOM's reply:

Are all of the stations scenarios based?

MMI stations may be presented as a traditional question (tell me about you), a situation or scenario and/or a role-play (with a Standardized Patient).

How long do we have to respond?

2-minute preparation and 7-minute conversation.

Do the prompt arbitrators answer questions/interact with you?

ANY MMI by design should be a conversation, even those that involve a role-play. MMIs are not a one-way interaction from either you or the interviewer (or Rater). Our Raters are trained to be conversational, welcoming and engaging.

mariposas905

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Anxiously waiting to hear results today. I absolutely loved this school and their approach to medicine! It's one of the most (if not the most) innovative medical school programs I've seen! My interview day was also very welcoming and fun! I probably shouldn't have stressed out about it as much :rolleyes:

No matter what the outcome today, I want to thank @SOM Admissions and the entire TCU/UNTHSC team for creating such a supportive and vibrant community and program! We really need this sort of compassionate and empathetic learning in today's changing medical world, and I especially realized how crucial this is during the compassionate practice portion of the interview (which was my favorite part of the day btw - future interviewees will likely enjoy this too) Excited to see how this school flourishes and all the amazing things that will be achieved in the future! :)

Last edited:

mariposas905

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted!!! Just got the call and I am beyond grateful for this opportunity :) This school really impressed me on my interview day!

Also, I didn't feel that my performance on the MMI was perfect and was worried that I messed up a few stations. So, for those of you who might be feeling similarly, you just never know what the result might be ;)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted!!! Just got the call and I am beyond grateful for this opportunity :) This school really impressed me on my interview day!

Also, I didn't feel that my performance on the MMI was perfect and was worried that I messed up a few stations. So, for those of you who might be feeling similarly, you just never know what the result will be ;)

Ahh Congrats!!! :)

Reactions: mariposas905
Nov 14, 2018
Even with only the small sample size of folks reporting, it seems like a decent amount of people that have been accepted here currently hold multiple acceptances. Does amcas have a deadline date similar to that of TMDSAS when students can no longer hold multiple spots? Also, I am quite interested to hear what factors play into people's (mainly OOS students) decision making while in such a predicament.

OP
wysdoc

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Even with only the small sample size of folks reporting, it seems like a decent amount of people that have been accepted here currently hold multiple acceptances. Does amcas have a deadline date similar to that of TMDSAS when students can no longer hold multiple spots? Also, I am quite interested to hear what factors play into people's (mainly OOS students) decision making while in such a predicament.
AMCAS requires you to choose one and only one by April 30. You may stay on WLs after that though.

Kiwi95

2+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone hear anything post-secondary today?

Aug 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Also jumping on board with a hold today! Super thankful to even be in this position. On to next week! I would sing the last verse to my iconic soundtrack right now, buttttttttt just too tired to think, lol. The school week after spring break always feels twice as long! But hey now, it’s still coming, hold your horses everyone. Keep a lookout next week!

Hang in there friends, we’ll end up at the destination that’s best for us soon! Feel free to reach out if u need any encouragement :)

Jul 19, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)

Also, I didn't feel that my performance on the MMI was perfect and was worried that I messed up a few stations. So, for those of you who might be feeling similarly, you just never know what the result might be ;)
Congratulations!!!! It’s so cool when you see people that post on here regularly get accepted ! ☺

Jan 25, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Glad to see that so many have been accepted. I'm sure for many this may be their only acceptance!

Jul 24, 2018
Is there a summer break after the first year of classes? I'm looking at the 4 year curriculum right now and I don't see it. There's something called EXPLORE AND DISCOVER that is a month long in August. Any idea what this is?

SOM Admissions

Admissions Dean
Oct 18, 2018
Is there a summer break after the first year of classes? I'm looking at the 4 year curriculum right now and I don't see it. There's something called EXPLORE AND DISCOVER that is a month long in August. Any idea what this is?
There are several breaks during Phase 1 - Thanksgiving Break (1 week), Winter Break (2 weeks), Spring Break (1 week) and Summer Break (1 week), followed by a flexible 4-week Explore and Discover time - can be spent however you desire: global, local, nothing, elective, etc.

Apr 23, 2018
Status
I received an interview invite earlier today.

@SOM Admissions , may you please verify if interviews in April will be for a spot on the waitlist? This will help me make an informed decision on whether I will attend or whether I should give my interview seat to another well-deserving applicant.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaramelBrulee
Aug 11, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I received an interview invite earlier today.

@SOM Admissions , may you please verify if interviews in April will be for a spot on the waitlist? This will help me make an informed decision on whether I will attend or whether I should give my interview seat to another well-deserving applicant.

Congrats on the interview invite!! This has been answered many times on this thread. They are keeping seats open for interviewees for every interview day, so every person interviewed has a fair shot! Good luck!!

Reactions: InfectiousOptimism
Apr 23, 2018
Status
Congrats on the interview invite!! This has been answered many times on this thread. They are keeping seats open for interviewees for every interview day, so every person interviewed has a fair shot! Good luck!!
Thanks for the prompt response and thank you! Sorry about the repeated question.

Reactions: tby331

Kiwi95

2+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
+1 got an II yesterday. Really grateful for this opportunity.
I know it’s a dumb question to ask lol, but stats and complete date?

Reactions: xerom

Kiwi95

2+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical

mariposas905

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone remember which date TCU assigned for accepted applicants to "commit to enroll?" This means we have to withdraw from all other waitlists right? As opposed to "plan to enroll..."

Feb 11, 2018
Status
Does anyone remember which date TCU assigned for accepted applicants to "commit to enroll?" This means we have to withdraw from all other waitlists right? As opposed to "plan to enroll..."
I think on the bottom of the sheet that has the interview dates gives the "commit to enroll" date. I want to say it's around June 17th.

Mar 21, 2019
Seattle
Status
Medical Student
First-year tuition is 57,500, although covered 100% for the charter class. While tuition for subsequent years is set annually and is always subject to change, this should give you a perspective of private tuition.
Dear @SOM Admissions, can you please elaborate further on what type of financial aid or scholarships will be available to students for the remaining 3 years? I think this will be a critical point for students making school selections, especially in Texas, and now more than ever considering it is the first class and setting a precedent for future classes. Additionally, how do you plan on recruiting (and retaining in order to combat Texas' physician shortage as outlined in your mission) Texas' most competitive applicants given that Baylor and UT Southwestern's tuitions are one-half and one-third your tuition? Given Texas' medical school value, isn't this an enormous hurdle to overcome? Thanks very much.

Last edited:
OP
wysdoc

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Can you please comment on the high tuition cost, especially when the other private medical school in Texas, Baylor COM, is only $29,000. Can you elaborate more on what type of financial aid and scholarships will be available to students for the remaining 3 years? Thank you very much.
This tuition is in line with any private medical school and lower than some. Even UIWSOM, the private DO school in San Antonio, has a similar price. Texans are lucky to have a more affordable cost of attendance at the state subsidized schools.

Mar 21, 2019
Seattle
Status
Medical Student
This tuition is in line with any private medical school and lower than some. Even UIWSOM, the private DO school in San Antonio, has a similar price. Texans are lucky to have a more affordable cost of attendance at the state subsidized schools.
That didn’t answer any of my questions but thanks.

OP
wysdoc

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
That didn’t answer any of my questions but thanks.
Baylor is partially subsidized which is why their tuition is lower, but in exchange for that they agree to take a large percentage of Texans. An independent private school is free to select from any state.

Aug 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Can you please elaborate further on what type of financial aid or scholarships will be available to students for the remaining 3 years? I think this will be a critical point for students making school selections. Thank you very much!
They also said at the MDAVD that they are working very hard to find scholarship opportunities in the future. No specifics yet. So in the mean time, you will most likely need to search for your own scholarships outside the school

Mar 21, 2019
Seattle
Status
Medical Student
They also said at the MDAVD that they are working very hard to find scholarship opportunities in the future. No specifics yet. So in the mean time, you will most likely need to search for your own scholarships outside the school
Guys, thanks, but I attended and know these things. I am hoping to hear from the SOM. See post #1093

Last edited:
Reactions: zaitoun
Jan 25, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I mean it's a private medical school, it has the cost of one. Their tuition is like those private medical schools outside of Texas. And TCU is new. So financial assisstance will be a little thin.

Mar 21, 2019
Seattle
Status
Medical Student
I mean it's a private medical school, it has the cost of one. Their tuition is like those private medical schools outside of Texas. And TCU is new. So financial assisstance will be a little thin.
Again, hoping to hear from the experts at the SOM, thanks. This goes beyond tuition cost, it's about value in a state that has lots of it, especially at the competitive levels. See post 1093.

SOM Admissions

Admissions Dean
Oct 18, 2018
Dear @SOM Admissions, can you please elaborate further on what type of financial aid or scholarships will be available to students for the remaining 3 years? I think this will be a critical point for students making school selections, especially in Texas, and now more than ever considering it is the first class and setting a precedent for future classes. Additionally, how do you plan on recruiting (and retaining in order to combat Texas' physician shortage as outlined in your mission) Texas' most competitive applicants given that Baylor and UT Southwestern's tuitions are one-half and one-third your tuition? Given Texas' medical school value, isn't this an enormous hurdle to overcome? Thanks very much.
Thank you for asking and if you attended the MDAVD, we discussed our approach and goals of increasing GME capacity in our community, our philanthropy approach for future scholarships, and our recruitment goals that include goodness of fit with our mission, vision and values regardless of residency.

Second Look Weekend will provide additional opportunity to address any questions that a candidate for our program has ahead of making their final selection.

Jul 16, 2017
For people on hold, there's like only 40 people on the FB page. Out of the 40, not everyone is committed to TCU. Extrapolate however you will. I believe they still have to accept a significant number of applicants.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Unfortun

Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean anything. I am admitted and didn’t even know there was a FB page.
So I was super fortunate to have been offered an acceptance to TCU and UNTHSC and went ahead and created a TCU and UNTHSC Class of 2023 Facebook group for anyone interested. I initially asked the school to see if they were going to set one up (kind of like how other schools have MS1's running similar groups for upcoming students) and they told me that I could just go ahead and get one started. The group can be found here: Log into Facebook | Facebook
Check back a few pages bro. See page 19.

Reactions: mountainmed