2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received a hold email. Grateful to still be in the running tbh.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
3rd hold! The wait is excruciating!! I think I held my breath from 5-6pm.
Grateful to still be in play though! I like this school soo much. Omgahhhh, ACCEPT ME PLEASEEE!

Hang in there friends :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3rd hold! The wait is excruciating!! I think I held my breath from 5-6pm.
Grateful to still be in play though! I like this school soo much. Omgahhhh, ACCEPT ME PLEASEEE!

Hang in there friends :)

+1!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just went back and counted the number of hold emails I have received. We are approaching double digits, ladies and gentlemen :whistle:. Thankful to still be in the game, however.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!!! Just got the call and I am beyond grateful for this opportunity :) This school really impressed me on my interview day!

Also, I didn't feel that my performance on the MMI was perfect and was worried that I messed up a few stations. So, for those of you who might be feeling similarly, you just never know what the result might be ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Accepted!!! Just got the call and I am beyond grateful for this opportunity :) This school really impressed me on my interview day!

Also, I didn't feel that my performance on the MMI was perfect and was worried that I messed up a few stations. So, for those of you who might be feeling similarly, you just never know what the result will be ;)

Ahh Congrats!!! :)

Another hold as well. Definitely thankful I’m still in the running, but every week around this time I’m a ball of anxiety good luck to everyone and congrats to those who got an acceptance to an amazing school!

Even with only the small sample size of folks reporting, it seems like a decent amount of people that have been accepted here currently hold multiple acceptances. Does amcas have a deadline date similar to that of TMDSAS when students can no longer hold multiple spots? Also, I am quite interested to hear what factors play into people's (mainly OOS students) decision making while in such a predicament.

Even with only the small sample size of folks reporting, it seems like a decent amount of people that have been accepted here currently hold multiple acceptances. Does amcas have a deadline date similar to that of TMDSAS when students can no longer hold multiple spots? Also, I am quite interested to hear what factors play into people's (mainly OOS students) decision making while in such a predicament.
AMCAS requires you to choose one and only one by April 30. You may stay on WLs after that though.

Reactions: 6 users
Also jumping on board with a hold today! Super thankful to even be in this position. On to next week! I would sing the last verse to my iconic soundtrack right now, buttttttttt just too tired to think, lol. The school week after spring break always feels twice as long! But hey now, it’s still coming, hold your horses everyone. Keep a lookout next week!

Hang in there friends, we’ll end up at the destination that’s best for us soon! Feel free to reach out if u need any encouragement :)

Reactions: 7 users

Also, I didn't feel that my performance on the MMI was perfect and was worried that I messed up a few stations. So, for those of you who might be feeling similarly, you just never know what the result might be ;)

Congratulations!!!! It’s so cool when you see people that post on here regularly get accepted ! ☺️

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to see that so many have been accepted. I'm sure for many this may be their only acceptance!

Is there a summer break after the first year of classes? I'm looking at the 4 year curriculum right now and I don't see it. There's something called EXPLORE AND DISCOVER that is a month long in August. Any idea what this is?

Is there a summer break after the first year of classes? I'm looking at the 4 year curriculum right now and I don't see it. There's something called EXPLORE AND DISCOVER that is a month long in August. Any idea what this is?

There are several breaks during Phase 1 - Thanksgiving Break (1 week), Winter Break (2 weeks), Spring Break (1 week) and Summer Break (1 week), followed by a flexible 4-week Explore and Discover time - can be spent however you desire: global, local, nothing, elective, etc.

Reactions: 7 users
I received an interview invite earlier today.

@SOM Admissions , may you please verify if interviews in April will be for a spot on the waitlist? This will help me make an informed decision on whether I will attend or whether I should give my interview seat to another well-deserving applicant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received an interview invite earlier today.

@SOM Admissions , may you please verify if interviews in April will be for a spot on the waitlist? This will help me make an informed decision on whether I will attend or whether I should give my interview seat to another well-deserving applicant.

Congrats on the interview invite!! This has been answered many times on this thread. They are keeping seats open for interviewees for every interview day, so every person interviewed has a fair shot! Good luck!!

Congrats on the interview invite!! This has been answered many times on this thread. They are keeping seats open for interviewees for every interview day, so every person interviewed has a fair shot! Good luck!!

Thanks for the prompt response and thank you! Sorry about the repeated question.

+1 got an II yesterday. Really grateful for this opportunity.

Reactions: 9 users
I think I was complete back in December? not to long ago after they started accepting apps.

63-64 LizzyM and OOS, so I honestly had given up, but they took me by surprise.

Reactions: 6 users
they were offering 4/1 and 4/8 when i checked on Saturday

Does anyone remember which date TCU assigned for accepted applicants to "commit to enroll?" This means we have to withdraw from all other waitlists right? As opposed to "plan to enroll..."

Does anyone remember which date TCU assigned for accepted applicants to "commit to enroll?" This means we have to withdraw from all other waitlists right? As opposed to "plan to enroll..."
I think on the bottom of the sheet that has the interview dates gives the "commit to enroll" date. I want to say it's around June 17th.

First-year tuition is 57,500, although covered 100% for the charter class. While tuition for subsequent years is set annually and is always subject to change, this should give you a perspective of private tuition.

Dear @SOM Admissions, can you please elaborate further on what type of financial aid or scholarships will be available to students for the remaining 3 years? I think this will be a critical point for students making school selections, especially in Texas, and now more than ever considering it is the first class and setting a precedent for future classes. Additionally, how do you plan on recruiting (and retaining in order to combat Texas' physician shortage as outlined in your mission) Texas' most competitive applicants given that Baylor and UT Southwestern's tuitions are one-half and one-third your tuition? Given Texas' medical school value, isn't this an enormous hurdle to overcome? Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Can you please comment on the high tuition cost, especially when the other private medical school in Texas, Baylor COM, is only $29,000. Can you elaborate more on what type of financial aid and scholarships will be available to students for the remaining 3 years? Thank you very much.
This tuition is in line with any private medical school and lower than some. Even UIWSOM, the private DO school in San Antonio, has a similar price. Texans are lucky to have a more affordable cost of attendance at the state subsidized schools.

This tuition is in line with any private medical school and lower than some. Even UIWSOM, the private DO school in San Antonio, has a similar price. Texans are lucky to have a more affordable cost of attendance at the state subsidized schools.
That didn’t answer any of my questions but thanks.

That didn’t answer any of my questions but thanks.
Baylor is partially subsidized which is why their tuition is lower, but in exchange for that they agree to take a large percentage of Texans. An independent private school is free to select from any state.

Can you please elaborate further on what type of financial aid or scholarships will be available to students for the remaining 3 years? I think this will be a critical point for students making school selections. Thank you very much!

They also said at the MDAVD that they are working very hard to find scholarship opportunities in the future. No specifics yet. So in the mean time, you will most likely need to search for your own scholarships outside the school

They also said at the MDAVD that they are working very hard to find scholarship opportunities in the future. No specifics yet. So in the mean time, you will most likely need to search for your own scholarships outside the school
Guys, thanks, but I attended and know these things. I am hoping to hear from the SOM. See post #1093

Last edited:
I mean it's a private medical school, it has the cost of one. Their tuition is like those private medical schools outside of Texas. And TCU is new. So financial assisstance will be a little thin.

I mean it's a private medical school, it has the cost of one. Their tuition is like those private medical schools outside of Texas. And TCU is new. So financial assisstance will be a little thin.

Again, hoping to hear from the experts at the SOM, thanks. This goes beyond tuition cost, it's about value in a state that has lots of it, especially at the competitive levels. See post 1093.

Dear @SOM Admissions, can you please elaborate further on what type of financial aid or scholarships will be available to students for the remaining 3 years? I think this will be a critical point for students making school selections, especially in Texas, and now more than ever considering it is the first class and setting a precedent for future classes. Additionally, how do you plan on recruiting (and retaining in order to combat Texas' physician shortage as outlined in your mission) Texas' most competitive applicants given that Baylor and UT Southwestern's tuitions are one-half and one-third your tuition? Given Texas' medical school value, isn't this an enormous hurdle to overcome? Thanks very much.

Thank you for asking and if you attended the MDAVD, we discussed our approach and goals of increasing GME capacity in our community, our philanthropy approach for future scholarships, and our recruitment goals that include goodness of fit with our mission, vision and values regardless of residency.

Second Look Weekend will provide additional opportunity to address any questions that a candidate for our program has ahead of making their final selection.

Reactions: 5 users
For people on hold, there's like only 40 people on the FB page. Out of the 40, not everyone is committed to TCU. Extrapolate however you will. I believe they still have to accept a significant number of applicants.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
For people on hold, there's like only 40 people on the FB page. Out of the 40, not everyone is committed to TCU. Extrapolate however you will. I believe they still have to accept a significant amount of applicants.

THANKS FOR THE INFO

Unfortun

Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean anything. I am admitted and didn’t even know there was a FB page.

So I was super fortunate to have been offered an acceptance to TCU and UNTHSC and went ahead and created a TCU and UNTHSC Class of 2023 Facebook group for anyone interested. I initially asked the school to see if they were going to set one up (kind of like how other schools have MS1's running similar groups for upcoming students) and they told me that I could just go ahead and get one started. The group can be found here: Log into Facebook | Facebook

Check back a few pages bro. See page 19.

Check back a few pages bro. See page 19.
Thank you, this is a perfect example and proves my point. Only the people who are reading every post on this thread would know about it, which is definitely not the majority.

Thank you, this is a perfect example and proves my point. Only the people who are reading every post on this thread would know about it, which is definitely not the majority.

fair but everyone in the group isn't set on going to TCU.

fair but everyone in the group isn't set on going to TCU.
Also fair, but again, not relevant. What is relevant is that the last interview day is 4/8 and the last committee meeting is two weeks after that. They have communicated that there will be spots for the last group of interviewees.

Last edited:

I just used the search feature lol

Also fair, but again, not relevant. What is relevant is that the last interview day is 4/8 and the last committee meeting is two weeks after that. They have communicated that there will be spots for the last group of interviewees. Stop worrying about how many spots are left and focus on doing well in the interview. If you have already done the interview, then it is out of your hands and stressing about odds is futile. Use that worrying energy toward doing something that pushes the needle, like reapplying or getting research done to help with residency applications.
Not to be rude but you are a bit aggressive on here don’t you think? People are just trying to help you out and your passive aggressive responses are a bit unnecessary and quite frankly irritating. SDN was made for people to help each other out with whatever information or opinions they may have. If that bothers you then why don’t you just email the admissions directly with your questions and log right off of SDN?

Reactions: 15 users
Also fair, but again, not relevant. What is relevant is that the last interview day is 4/8 and the last committee meeting is two weeks after that. They have communicated that there will be spots for the last group of interviewees. Stop worrying about how many spots are left and focus on doing well in the interview. If you have already done the interview, then it is out of your hands and stressing about odds is futile. Use that worrying energy toward doing something that pushes the needle, like reapplying or getting research done to help with residency applications.

Bro this is an anxious time for everybody- you don’t need to tell people to not worry, that’s what people do- esp people whose first choice is this school. Wesleysnipes was just giving us a data point, appreciate your insight too and all due respect, but nothing you’re saying is anything new to anyone here.

Reactions: 9 users
Bro this is an anxious time for everybody- you don’t need to tell people to not worry, that’s what people do- esp people whose first choice is this school. Wesleysnipes was just giving us a data point, appreciate your insight too and all due respect, but nothing you’re saying is anything new to anyone here.
If this is making you anxious or irritated then I’m sorry, but this forum should be about meaningful and thought provoking discussion, that’s what a forum is for, as compared to wild speculation.

Last edited:
If this is making you anxious or irritated then I’m sorry, but this forum should be about meaningful and thought provoking discussion, that’s what a forum is.

“This” isn’t - I’m just saying that you can chill out and maybe bring some positivity to balance out whatever else you have going on, and I think I’ll find that being a great physician will be anything but a nightmare thanks

If this is making you anxious or irritated then I’m sorry, but this forum should be about meaningful and thought provoking discussion, that’s what a forum is for, as compared to wild speculation or uninformed opinions.

If u don’t want “speculation or uninformed quotes” too, just call or email the school! Yes som admissions is here but you’ll get a quicker response without the hassle of not getting the answers U want, even though like myself and a few others tried to help! Is it really that hard to call and ask rather than making an account just a few days ago? By all means I’m pretty sure we’re all here and want to help you out, we’re mostly a supportive crew :)

If this is making you anxious or irritated then I’m sorry, but this forum should be about meaningful and thought provoking discussion, that’s what a forum is for, as compared to wild speculation or uninformed opinions.
“This” isn’t make me irritated, your comments in response to people trying to give you information from what they heard during their interview (which actually turned out to be very similar to what SOM responded) is what’s irritating. I am all for meaningful and thought provoking discussion and SDN is an appropriate place for that. However, your comments did not appear to be promoting that but instead appeared to be passive aggression towards people who were trying to help. If you have a direct question for SOM you could just email admissions directly as I am sure they would be happy to help you.

Also, people process and deal with situations/stressors differently. I am happy that you are calm during this application process, but for a lot of people calm is the furthest thing from their minds. Perhaps a coping mechanism is to post on here expressing their concerns, hopes, ideas and opinions and in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with that. Yes, this forum should have meaningful and thought provoking content, but it should also be a community where we support and uplift each other through this very stressful time. Telling someone to stop stressing isn’t actually going to help them stop stressing. Instead you can try encouraging words.

Best of luck to you with the rest of this application cycle and in your career.

Reactions: 13 users