2018-2019 The Commonwealth Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my email as well. Interviewed one month ago. I think it is.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, from deferred to alternate. Pretty much as expected at this point. I've used my updates already so I'll likely pull my application and stick to the school I've been accepted at since I've already started to get everything set up there.

Well, from deferred to alternate. Pretty much as expected at this point. I've used my updates already so I'll likely pull my application and stick to the school I've been accepted at since I've already started to get everything set up there.
Do you mind sharing when you were originally deferred?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted via email, interviewed in early March.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have an idea how much movement occurs on the alternate list? Judging from their response to me asking whether or not the alternate list is essentially a waitlist, I'm doubtful they would give me any information.

Was just notified by email that I have been moved from deffered to alternate.

Accepted today as well! I'm super excited as this is a fantastic school and it is my first acceptance. It has been a long 9 months

Reactions: 8 users
Also moved to alternate list. Deferred back in November. Definitely curious if anyone has stats or insight about waitlist movement. Guessing we won't hear much again until after April 30th.

Alternate list from deferred. The pattern in sending out information has definitely deviated from last year, so I’m not holding my breath about hearing anything until 4/30. Maybe we’ll get some movement from the alternate list before then, but doubtful.

Do all interviewees who are deferred get put on the alternate list or are there rejections?

Do all interviewees who are deferred get put on the alternate list or are there rejections?
I believe I saw deferred individuals receive both acceptances and rejections over the year, but I'm not sure that that would continue through now considering the number of alternates that seem to be coming through.

So is it safe to say the alternate list is the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 defer to alternate list

Lol my alma mater rejected me 2 hours after I got the email from Geisinger. This a great start to the weekend.

Accepted yesterday afternoon!! Interviewed mid January and was deferred early March. OOS. So so excited!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I just withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you all! Best of luck!

Hey everyone, just thought I could share some info with y'all. I reached out to them regarding the whole sending updates and waitlist situation and this is what they told me. They're expecting a ton of waitlist movement this cycle. More students have withdrawn at this point in the cycle compared to previous years and they expect that number to keep moving. However their plan is to hold tight to acceptances until this all settles (basically we're gonna be waiting for a little). In terms of updates, I was told that they want significant updates - publications and a semester of grades (strongly suggested all A's) and to keep them brief - no fluff that goes on for a whole page. I was also told that a letter of interest isn't exactly what they're looking for because since we've all interviewed, they know we're interested and would jump at an acceptance. Same goes for a letter of intent - she actually suggested against this because as others have said on sdn, it's non-binding and doesn't give the substance that an update contains. She actually reassured me at the end of this call about the waitlist movement this cycle and told me to sit tight and this was without knowing my application. Let me know if I can elaborate on anything. I'm in the same boat as you guys and we got this! Also wanted to thank everyone for the info I've found on this thread :)

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone, just thought I could share some info with y'all. I reached out to them regarding the whole sending updates and waitlist situation and this is what they told me. They're expecting a ton of waitlist movement this cycle. More students have withdrawn at this point in the cycle compared to previous years and they expect that number to keep moving. However their plan is to hold tight to acceptances until this all settles (basically we're gonna be waiting for a little). In terms of updates, I was told that they want significant updates - publications and a semester of grades (strongly suggested all A's) and to keep them brief - no fluff that goes on for a whole page. I was also told that a letter of interest isn't exactly what they're looking for because since we've all interviewed, they know we're interested and would jump at an acceptance. Same goes for a letter of intent - she actually suggested against this because as others have said on sdn, it's non-binding and doesn't give the substance that an update contains. She actually reassured me at the end of this call about the waitlist movement this cycle and told me to sit tight and this was without knowing my application. Let me know if I can elaborate on anything. I'm in the same boat as you guys and we got this! Also wanted to thank everyone for the info I've found on this thread :)
Any idea on how long we will be waiting?

Just withdrew today - I hope one of you lovely folks get my spot! Best of luck to all of you

Reactions: 9 users
Will be withdrawing from my acceptance. I hope one of you wonderful people on the waitlist gets my spot!
Does anyone know the procedure for withdrawing here? Is it sufficient to withdraw on the application portal, or do I need to send an email to admissions?

I think withdrawing from the portal should be sufficient, but you can email them just to be 100% sure.

Also for those of you withdrawing your acceptances, do you mind if i ask what made you choose another school over GCSOM? if it's too personal you can dm me too

I think withdrawing from the portal should be sufficient, but you can email them just to be 100% sure.

Also for those of you withdrawing your acceptances, do you mind if i ask what made you choose another school over GCSOM? if it's too personal you can dm me too
I absolutely loved Geisinger, and I would have most likely gone there had I not got accepted to a school that was much closer to home for me. Location was pretty much the only big deciding factor for me

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew. This one really, really hurt because it was my first acceptance and I LOVED Geisinger, the community feel, and the huge patient population/hospital system. Will go to a program closer to home.

Best of luck to those on the WL...I hope you all get into GSOM or an equally awesome program!

Reactions: 6 users
Just withdrew. This one really, really hurt because it was my first acceptance and I LOVED Geisinger, the community feel, and the huge patient population/hospital system. Will go to a program closer to home.

Best of luck to those on the WL...I hope you all get into GSOM or an equally awesome program!
I feel you on this.

did you just withdraw on the portal?

For me personally, Geisinger had never been top of my list. Don't get me wrong, it's filled with great people and has a good mission, and I think I would have been happy there. But the location was not ideal for me, as I'd prefer an urban campus working with an urban population. I would have still gone here if I'd been accepted into the Abigail Geisinger Scholars Program, but alas, I was made an alternate. And that same week I received a very nice scholarship to a school in a more urban environment closer to home so... I guess it was fate?

Just withdrew. Big fan of their rural family medicine focus opportunities at the regional campuses for clinical years. Def liked the rural populations and settings of these campuses but decided to go with a program closer to home where I could have this exposure as well.

Well wishes to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Just withdrew my acceptance for my in-state school. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I haven’t gotten an MBS email. Not sure what to think about that. Checked all possible folders, interestingly found an email for a master program at Rochester LOL.

Edit: received the email 2 seconds after I posted.

I haven’t gotten an MBS email. Not sure what to think about that. Checked all possible folders, interestingly found an email for a master program at Rochester LOL.

Edit: received the email 2 seconds after I posted.

Got mine too for the MBS. Also think schools should stop starting emails with “im pleased to inform you” if it’s not an acceptance lol

Reactions: 9 users
Yeah like why'd they have to put "Your waitlist status" in the subject line for the MBS email? I about passed out at work when I saw it and all for nothing haha

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone gotten an email with instructions for drug testing yet?

Has anyone gotten an email with instructions for drug testing yet?
No. They said it will come randomly and it has to be done within 30 days of receiving the email. With my luck, it will get sent to my spam

So if anyone receives it please post it here just in case it’s in my spam!

Wondering if anyone SDNers have any insight into this...
I have one acceptance at a DO school but the COA is unbelievable and it is very very far from home. Thoughts on withdrawing from that school, enrolling in GCSOM’s MBS program (assuming I don’t get off the waitlist) and reapplying?

I’ve heard reapplying is a no-no if you have an acceptance (although mine is not MD) but just not sure I’d be happy at this other school.

Wondering if anyone SDNers have any insight into this...
I have one acceptance at a DO school but the COA is unbelievable and it is very very far from home. Thoughts on withdrawing from that school, enrolling in GCSOM’s MBS program (assuming I don’t get off the waitlist) and reapplying?

I’ve heard reapplying is a no-no if you have an acceptance (although mine is not MD) but just not sure I’d be happy at this other school.

It’s a decision only you can make but what I can say is doing the MBS program would mean taking on the additional cost of the program on top of whatever it would cost you to attend med school later on.

Hey guys
I had my interview with GCSOM on Jan 23, got deferred then waitlisted on April 5, and received this email about the MBS program
Now for those who received it in previous cycles, did they get accepted later or is it a nice way for rejection, and do OS have a better chance with this school?
PS: And I wish the best of luck for everyone on this thread and hope you get good news this coming week.

Sorry I meant do OS on the waitlist have a better chance?
They invited everyone on the waitlist to the MBS program. So I don’t think the invitation says anything about your chances of getting in. Especially considering the changes this year, more people are expected to come off the waitlist. In terms of OS vs IS, I can only guess. My guess is that IS has a better chance at this school because it’s a state school and they have emphasis on serving the local community. You can probably check msar for those numbers! Good luck with everything and thanks for your good vibes!

They invited everyone on the waitlist to the MBS program. So I don’t think the invitation says anything about your chances of getting in. Especially considering the changes this year, more people are expected to come off the waitlist. In terms of OS vs IS, I can only guess. My guess is that IS has a better chance at this school because it’s a state school and they have emphasis on serving the local community. You can probably check msar for those numbers! Good luck with everything and thanks for your good vibes!

I went through the msar, but it doesn’t tell that much
Now I have a believe that movement is more likely to happen for OS students for two reasons
First of all, most student who withdraw their acceptance are OS students who probably received an acceptance from a better school, or at least let’s say from their IS school because of tuition, I mean if I get accepted to my IS school (also waitlisted ), I won’t even give it a second thought
The second reason is that any med school needs to keep the same student body proportion, which means that if an OS withdraw, an OS is more likely to take his place
But we can never be sure how those in the admission thinks

I went through the msar, but it doesn’t tell that much
Now I have a believe that movement is more likely to happen for OS students for two reasons
First of all, most student who withdraw their acceptance are OS students who probably received an acceptance from a better school, or at least let’s say from their IS school because of tuition, I mean if I get accepted to my IS school (also waitlisted ), I won’t even give it a second thought
The second reason is that any med school needs to keep the same student body proportion, which means that if an OS withdraw, an OS is more likely to take his place
But we can never be sure how those in the admission thinks
Oh yea that all makes sense too! But like you said I have no idea what goes through their heads

I'm withdrawing my name from the waitlist- best of luck to all of you!

Reactions: 7 users
It was a tough choice but just withdrew my acceptance from GCSoM. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear -- another spot just opened up for one of you.

Just withdrew my acceptance, good luck y’all

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my acceptance. First med school that accepted me, so very thankful to Geisinger for the peace of mind throughout all these months. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users