2018-2019 The Commonwealth Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question for all of the current students: do most people exclusively use their GCSOM-leased laptop, or do people also keep a personal laptop around? I'm debating if it makes sense to replace my current set-up now, or if I can plan to just use the school one for the next few years.
Most people use the school laptop for only school-related things and a personal laptop for everything else. Some never use the school laptop except for exams. There's no point in rushing to get a new computer now. Try out having only the school laptop. If you find you do need a second laptop later on, buy one then.

Members don't see this ad.

Most people use the school laptop for only school-related things and a personal laptop for everything else. Some never use the school laptop except for exams. There's no point in rushing to get a new computer now. Try out having only the school laptop. If you find you do need a second laptop later on, buy one then.
What kind of laptop do they give everyone? Just curious since I don't think I saw it written anywhere

Has anyone had any problems being added to the facebook GCSoM class of 2023 group? I applied a week or two ago and still haven't been added.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Long-time SDN lurker here and I've finally decided to chime in. This cycle has been a hectic one but I'm happy to say I've been accepted here off the waitlist! Got the call yesterday morning (5/30) and then an official email during the evening. First acceptance of this cycle :)

Stats:
GPA: 3.67
MCAT: 503
Out-of-state
1 year of research
A bunch of extracurriculars (over 1000 hours), both clinical and non-clinical
Also worked part-time throughout college

To all those still on waitlists, hang in there!! I'm sure this will go on in trickles until July (which sucks). Too early to give up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hi all,

Long-time SDN lurker here and I've finally decided to chime in. This cycle has been a hectic one but I'm happy to say I've been accepted here off the waitlist! Got the call yesterday morning (5/30) and then an official email during the evening. First acceptance of this cycle :)

Stats:
GPA: 3.67
MCAT: 503
Out-of-state
1 year of research
A bunch of extracurriculars (over 1000 hours), both clinical and non-clinical
Also worked part-time throughout college

To all those still on waitlists, hang in there!! I'm sure this will go on in trickles until July (which sucks). Too early to give up.
That’s awesome congrats!

Will be withdrawing from here! Best of luck to everyone still on the waitlist

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted a few hours ago via phone call! In-state, ORM, LM 68.5. I'm graduating from a 5-year undergraduate program later this week so you could consider that taking a gap year.

Interviewed way back in October and loved it here; honestly still in disbelief I got the call. I'll be accepting the offer. Can't wait to meet everyone soon!

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone that completed the CITI training gotten the green check mark on the pre-matriculation checklist? I completed all the courses over a week ago but it hasn't been checked off yet. I'm probably just being paranoid but I wanna make sure they receive it

Has anyone that completed the CITI training gotten the green check mark on the pre-matriculation checklist? I completed all the courses over a week ago but it hasn't been checked off yet. I'm probably just being paranoid but I wanna make sure they receive it
I completed it in March and it’s still not checked off for me. I’m not stressing it though because it’s done and I have the certificates with dates on it as proof.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted a few hours ago via phone call! In-state, ORM, LM 68.5. I'm graduating from a 5-year undergraduate program later this week so you could consider that taking a gap year.

Interviewed way back in October and loved it here; honestly still in disbelief I got the call. I'll be accepting the offer. Can't wait to meet everyone soon!

Drexel undergrad?

Members don't see this ad :)
just withdrew from this school, goodluck to everyone on the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
Lol I keep asking everyone about if they are IS or OS, it lets u know if you have a chance since if an IS withdraw, another IS student on the waitlist will get accepted

Is having a car a requirement for this school since we have to visit our family/patient with that program, or can we request a more local family if we dont have transportation? I can't seem to find any info regarding this online.

Accepted off the waitlist today! Still in shock...

Reactions: 10 users
Hi,

Any applicants from this past cycle willing to provide advice for the interview. This is my first interview invite and want to make sure I do well.

For the faculty interview, know your application really well, mine asked me what I meant by specific syntax.

For the student interview, relax and be personable.

The interview wasn't too high stress. You have 2 interviews, one with a student, the other with a professor. The questions were aimed at understanding who you are and if you would be a good fit at their school. I wouldn't stress too much about it. It starts out with free pastries and coffee, and a few lecture type experiences about their different departments. You then have your interviews, followed by lunch, and then a tour of the campus. You have another lecture or two about financial aid and what not, and then leave around 4 (IIRC). Not a high stress experience, seems like a nice school.