Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 The Commonwealth Medical College

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    1. Given Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine’s unique mission and values, please tell us why you feel you are a good fit for our institution. (1500 char)

2. List the five most important attributes you feel a physician should possess. Please choose one that you feel you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait. (1500 char)

4. Geisinger Commonwealth values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How do you think you can contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion? (1500 char)

5. If you have previously applied to Geisinger Commonwealth’s Doctor of Medicine program, please describe your significant experiences between this year’s application and your previous application. If you are not a previous applicant, please type, “N/A” in the response area. (1500 char)

Interview Feedback: The Commonwealth Medical College

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  2. esentr

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Secondary received and the prompts are similar to last year, but the "five most important traits" question is condensed.
    Also note that this school is now called the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine! @gyngyn

1. Given Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine’s unique mission and values, please tell us why you feel you are a good fit for our institution. (1500 char)

2. List the five most important attributes you feel a physician should possess. Please choose one that you feel you embody and describe a personal experience that demonstrates this trait. (1500 char)

4. Geisinger Commonwealth values diversity and is committed to maintaining an inclusive environment. How do you think you can contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion? (1500 char)

5. If you have previously applied to Geisinger Commonwealth’s Doctor of Medicine program, please describe your significant experiences between this year’s application and your previous application. If you are not a previous applicant, please type, “N/A” in the response area. (1500 char)

gyngyn likes this.
  3. Mr. Peanutbutter

Mr. Peanutbutter SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    Secondary Received!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ayebaebae

ayebaebae Accepted! MD Class of 2023

Pre-Medical
    +1

5. Dr.Lady123

Pre-Medical
    +1

6. Eagleye2

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i see the question says "list 5 attributes" are you guys literally just listing them or stating one and then explaining it in a sentence or two

7. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

Lol it's 1500 characters, that's not enough room to write anything. I would list them all then pick one to semi explain

8. Eagleye2

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yeah I didn’t realize how small 1500 characters was until I started writing lol

9. liutimot

Pre-Medical
    Following

10. maggracers

Anyone else not have all of their letters of recommendation show up on the secondary application website?

11. Eagleye2

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    how did you guys abbreviate the school name. with 1500 characters, i cant be saying the full name two or three times.

12. stairway2seven

yah only 2 of mine have been processed so even though I submitted, my secondary is marked incomplete.

I called them and they said they process LORs every night so just keep checking and they should appear eventually

LeGOATJames23 and maggracers like this.
  13. ayebaebae

ayebaebae Accepted! MD Class of 2023

Pre-Medical
    Question: The question about being a reapplicant to GCSOM, if I have not applied specifically to GCSOM but am a reapplicant overall should I write about the improvements I have made to my application between the application cycles or just leave it blank?

14. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

I think it's school specific. Wouldn't answer it unless you're reapplying to this school

ayebaebae likes this.
  15. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

anyone know the faculty to student ratio here?

16. Kiwi95

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    To those of you that submitted your secondary a while ago, I was finally marked complete at the school today. Also, @gyngyn I would add "Geisinger" in the title as I'm sure a lot of people will search that and might get confused when it doesn't show up

EZPZ and Mariokart101 like this.
  17. Curiousfuturedoc

Medical Student (Accepted)
    This may be really dumb, but can I abbreviate it to GCSOM when referring to it in my secondary essays?

18. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

I did that too so I guess we'll see

19. Kiwi95

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Mine just says my application is complete and ready, but nothing about being under review. When did you submit?

20. NinjasAtMyDoor

Does anyone now how early in August Commonwealth starts sending out IIs?

21. esentr

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    last year it was 8/8!

22. MOrdinary

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know if there's a place to include connections to Pennsylvania/ will they consider it? I lived in rural central PA as a kid but moved away several years ago. Just wondering if it would help to mention it in my secondary.

23. medschoolzombie

2+ Year Member

I didn't see one, but I would throw it in in another essay

MOrdinary and Mariokart101 like this.
  24. Curiousfuturedoc

What would the area be considered? Is it rural or more city like?

25. NinjasAtMyDoor

It's in Scranton (the city from The Office). It's a decent size city: ~500K people.

26. monkeypen

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi! I'm a graduate from here. While Scranton itself is a "city" you will most likely end up rotating in rural areas at some point. You'll spend the 1st 2 years in Scranton, but could end up in Sayre, PA or Danville, PA for rotations (or other places listed on the website like Harrisburg, Wilkes-Barre, Atlantic City, etc.) but those two are pretty rural areas. It gives you a pretty unique perspective with Amish patients and individuals who are definitely healthcare refugees, but it is by no means a big city anywhere in the area, really. Though you are only about a 2 hour drive from from NYC or Philly for a fun weekend trip. Hope that helps! :)

Curiousfuturedoc and Jmh509 like this.
  27. sillymoi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    when does this school start sending out interview invites?

28. esentr

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    last year it was 8/8 but it may be earlier, from what I can tell this cycle is going faster than usual!

29. sillymoi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    did they already send out II?

30. Dr.Lady123

Pre-Medical
    Has anyone gotten a complete/under review email? My status says application ready with a green check but I haven't heard anything since the receipt from my submission.

31. Mouzer

I got a complete email about ten days after I submitted my secondary.

32. FutureMD96

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi all, so I am kind of freaking out...I submitted my secondary on 7/03. I am a FAP recipient and I just went to check my status and there is a red exclamation point next to "submit application" but below it there is a red message saying "Supplemental Application has been successfully submitted." Anyone else have this problem?

Edit: Note this problem is in the "supplemental application" section not the "status" section

33. Jmh509

Yeah I have the same issue. My status says everything is complete but on the supplemental it has the red exclamation point. I’m not a FAP recipient though. I’m not sure if I should worry about it or not

34. scribbles&rambles

Pre-Medical
    I'm also a FAP recipient, submitted secondary 7/26. I just checked and I don't seem to have this issue: I have a green checkmark next to "Submit Application" and the red message about the supplement being successfully submitted. That said, I'm not marked "Complete" because my committee doesn't send out letters until mid-August, so that might be why I'm not getting the error?

There might be some technical issues with the system; maybe call if the problem isn't resolved tomorrow?

35. FutureMD96

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am going to give a call tomorrow, unless there is an Adcom on this thread who might be able to shed light on the situation?

36. Hopefulmedmatriculant

+1

37. Curiousfuturedoc

II today! IS 502 MCAT

esentr and dr.potato like this.
  38. frankie75

Congratulations! When was your app complete?

39. Curiousfuturedoc

I submitted it on 7/17, not sure how to see when it was offically completed/under review by them

40. Orangecat1234

II, IS, 512/ 3.9

41. Jmh509

II today as well!!

42. HockeyGuy2772

Pre-Medical
    Ill add another sample to the group. Received II today (IS)! I don't believe that I ever got a "complete" email but I submitted on 7/6 and all of my information was in at that time so I'm sure it was complete soon there after.

michaelcimba likes this.
  43. Jmh509

I’m OOS, 3.76/517 btw. I never got a complete email but I submitted on 7/4

44. Atheene

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    II this morning!! In state, Lizzy M score of 70 (518 mcat, 3.44 gpa), submitted 7/7

KaioKaizen likes this.
  45. Curiousfuturedoc

Is there a way to switch to early decision? I already am offered an interview (9/7), so I am within the limit of needing stuff in by August 1st- I just didn’t have ED on my amcas app

46. NinjasAtMyDoor

No, for ED you can only apply to one school. At this point, the deadline for that has already past.

esentr likes this.
  47. Curiousfuturedoc

Ok thanks! I didn’t do any ED so wasn’t sure thanks!!

NinjasAtMyDoor likes this.
  48. premed0431

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is there a screening for this application because in their website it says "All AMCAS verified applicants will automatically receive a secondary application." but I havent received one at all.

49. MacBee

I don't think they do. How long ago were you verified? I got mine two days afterwards.

50. premed0431

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I got verified 8/1