2018-2019 Tulane University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. “Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine” (150 words)
  2. “List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college” (100 words)
  3. “Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests” (150 words)
  4. “Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but not limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, and economic background” (60 words)-Optional

If you’ve already graduated from college there is another prompt:

1. What have you been pursuing since graduation? (150 words)

Interview Feedback: Tulane University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I like this school! Hope to get some love and I like how they don't mess around when it comes to early invites.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Really hoping I get love from Tulane...top choice by a long-shot!

There is a prompt for listing leadership positions in clubs or organizations you may have held during college. I was wondering if I should include leadership positions I held at my job, such as being a trainer? Or do y'all think they are specifically asking about school-related clubs and orgs?

There is a prompt for listing leadership positions in clubs or organizations you may have held during college. I was wondering if I should include leadership positions I held at my job, such as being a trainer? Or do y'all think they are specifically asking about school-related clubs and orgs?
I think if you held that position during college it’s fair game. Is being a trainer really a leadership position though? Were you a supervisor or something ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you held that position during college it’s fair game. Is being a trainer really a leadership position though? Were you a supervisor or something ?
I was a trainer and a headwaiter at a restaurant. Headwaiters are in charge of checking all of the servers out at the end of the shift before they leave. I never know if I should count this but I don't really have any club or organization positions to talk about. I don't want to leave it blank sooooooo

I was a trainer and a headwaiter at a restaurant. Headwaiters are in charge of checking all of the servers out at the end of the shift before they leave. I never know if I should count this but I don't really have any club or organization positions to talk about. I don't want to leave it blank sooooooo
oh then definetly add that in

SECONDARY RECEIVED!!

Anyone else's app say their letters of rec have not been received? They participate in the AMCAS letter service right? So if the primary has indicated that your letters were received to AMCAS should I be worried/contact Tulane or just wait it out?

Anyone else's app say their letters of rec have not been received? They participate in the AMCAS letter service right? So if the primary has indicated that your letters were received to AMCAS should I be worried/contact Tulane or just wait it out?
@Venusian already called and they are having technical issues apparently. Just wait it out.

Anyone still waiting on the secondary?
Me. Worst part is that in last years thread people were getting II's while others were still waiting on secondaries. I thought they didn't screen for secondaries. How is that fair?

Me. Worst part is that in last years thread people were getting II's while others were still waiting on secondaries. I thought they didn't screen for secondaries. How is that fair?
On the bright side, it gives you more motivation to pre write and perfect

Are the prompts the same as last year? If not, what are they?
The prompts are the same as last year's and can be found in the Tulane 2017-2018 thread!

Edit: For the main prompt that asks applicants to describe their interest in Tulane, would it be appropriate to comment on New Orleans culture? That's part of the reason why I am interested, but that doesn't seem Tulane specific enough.

It would be great if there are any Tulane med students reading this that could comment on what type of person the school is looking for. I remember reading somewhere that they really want an applicant that wants to explore New Orleans culture.

Last edited:
The prompts are the same as last year's and can be found in the Tulane 2017-2018 thread!

Edit: For the main prompt that asks applicants to describe their interest in Tulane, would it be appropriate to comment on New Orleans culture? That's part of the reason why I am interested, but that doesn't seem Tulane specific enough.

It would be great if there are any Tulane med students reading this that could comment on what type of person the school is looking for. I remember reading somewhere that they really want an applicant that wants to explore New Orleans culture.

I would. I mentioned the city and the culture there

Hello people!
For the second and third question, the question asks us to list the activities. did you guys just list it with no explanation or did you guys include explanations? 100 words isn't a lot... Also did you just repeat activities from AMCAS? I feel like im repeating myself

Reactions: 1 users
So, who wants to call admissions about the lack of secondaries :whistle:

Just got mine today! Looks like they are trickling in. (does not matter for me cause my letters are about a week behind...)

Is everyone else just listing the hobbies and leadership positions? or would it be better to write a paragraph for it?

Is everyone else just listing the hobbies and leadership positions? or would it be better to write a paragraph for it?
I did a list for leadership and paragraph for hobbies. I just couldn’t bring myself to make a boring list about things I’m passionate about. My leadership is cut and dry.

My application is marked as complete, but under "document status" it says that no recommendation letters have been submitted- anyone else getting this issue? If that's still there Monday I'll call and ask...

My application is marked as complete, but under "document status" it says that no recommendation letters have been submitted- anyone else getting this issue? If that's still there Monday I'll call and ask...

Same thing for me. I think it might just take a few days to update on their website.