2018-2019 University of Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know anything about waitlist movement? The twitter page hasn’t said anything

Members don't see this ad.

I will try!

1. Would you mind defining 'smaller' for me? Do you mean in terms of size, and if so, size of what (city, class, campus, etc)? Our med school class size is on the larger end in the nation for class size as far as I know (~185 students per entering class) and Birmingham isn't a super small city at least compared to where I've grown up, so I just want to make sure I answer your question correctly since the subject of what you might mean isn't jumping out at me right away. (Sorry, probably my fault!)

2. We take ~8 students each year in the MSTP. Our average graduation time (as I recall) is 7.8 years. This is slightly below the national average for MSTPs, which I believe is currently 8.2 years. :)

3. Good question, and a tough one. I think almost every aspect of this question is going to be different for every student. I personally love Birmingham! I knew when I was looking for schools that I wanted to have access to some bigger city resources, but that I also wanted to be able to drive to/from campus every day (and preferably a short drive without big city traffic). I wanted to be able to afford to rent a small house on my own and not worry about apartment living, etc. I have definitely found all of that in Birmingham, and I love that the city has lots of different neighborhoods with tons of different vibes to it. The culture of the MSTP in particular is also exceptional - it definitely is a family-type vibe and I always feel so accepted and supported by my program. They've helped me through lots of messy personal situations and tough times.

I will also add that Birmingham as a whole is far more progressive than what you may think of when you think of Alabama or our more rural areas (but do note that I really can't speak as much to our branch sites, since I haven't been to them really). In thinking of my medical school class, I can certainly think of people who are both Republicans and Democrats, and I can think of people whose beliefs have changed since they arrived to UAB. Many of our students are pretty fierce advocates for causes they are passionate about, but I also feel like my classmates are respectful of those who have different views than their own. I personally kind of enjoy the mix and the balance that we have. Our Student National Medical Association (the oldest and largest student-run org focused on the needs and concerns of minority students) and our LGBTQ+ student associations are some of our strongest on campus -- our SNMA chapter actually just won multiple national awards, and one of our students was named member of the year nationally.

However, I have only ever lived in pretty small towns (so Birmingham feels kinda big to me!) and have never visited CA. So I would imagine that my perspective from my previous experience is probably VERY different than yours!! I definitely think UAB would have a different 'feel' as opposed to schools in CA or NYC, but since I haven't visited either, I unfortunately can't be too much more specific in making comparisons. Hopefully this still helps a little though? And I hope you have the privilege of interviewing at many schools in different places so you can feel them out for yourself and see what you like!

Do the school's curriculum help a lot with Step 1? How well do their questions match what we will see on the boards?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to say that I withdrew my acceptance on Tuesday. I also had been offered a scholarship.

Reactions: 2 users
On their twitter, they announced that they started offering admission to Alabama residents who are on the first-tier waitlist. Does anyone know if they'll consider offering admission to OOS applicants on the first-tier waitlist?

Has anyone heard of any in-state waitlist movement?

Has anyone called to see if there has been movement or know of anyone that got in from the waitlist??

Is it allowed to call them to ask about the waitlist movement?

I emailed them to ask about reapplying. They didn't say much, but they did tell me that there has been movement. I just don't know how much movement.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard of any movement. Does anyone know if the FB page includes current medical students or just those accepted?

I haven't heard of any movement. Does anyone know if the FB page includes current medical students or just those accepted?

I think the thread is dead. I haven’t heard of anyone getting in off the waitlist yet but I do know they started to reject people off the OOS waitlist

I think the thread is dead. I haven’t heard of anyone getting in off the waitlist yet but I do know they started to reject people off the OOS waitlist
I heard of someone getting in last week through social media. So there is some movement for the in-state waitlist.

By mid-May last year they were already on 2nd tier. Anyone know why that may have been the case last year?
I'm just assuming those accepted made their decisions relatively quick. The year before they didn't hit second tier till end of June. So I guess we just have to play the waiting game.

Is the waitlist this year two tiers or three tiers? There seems to be conflicting information

Is the waitlist this year two tiers or three tiers? There seems to be conflicting information
I'm pretty sure it's 3 tiers but the 3rd tier is not under consideration. I think at the interview they said something about 3rd tier meaning you aren't competitive enough or something like that. So only the first and second tier are under consideration for remaining spots.

I heard someone got rejected off the second tier waitlist but it was OOS. I don’t know if they were the only one or if UAB has started to narrow down the waitlist

I heard someone got rejected off the second tier waitlist but it was OOS. I don’t know if they were the only one or if UAB has started to narrow down the waitlist
They could be doing that. I'm not familiar with the chances of getting in for OOS. If they are doing that then I guess it's a good thing we haven't heard from them because that means we might still have a chance. Who knows though:(

Does anyone have an idea of how many applicants are typically placed in each tier?

Last edited:
It would be nice if they could post some updates on twitter.

Yeah, I'm surprised there haven't been any updates from twitter or on here. Are yall on the first tier??

Sorry about that! Wish you both good luck with other schools!

Apparently all 2nd tier wait-listed students have been sent rejection emails. This is getting pretty scary for 1st tiers when historically they would be pulling from 2nd tiers by now

If any late admits are a looking for an apartment, I'm trying to sublease mine. It's a 2 bedroom located a little over a mile from UAB.

Does UAB have mandatory lecture attendance? I had heard it was. To me it doesn’t matter. If lucky enough be in med school, treat it like a job. But I can see the other side as well, if good learner, just go school for required lectures and labs. Spend rest time watching lectures at home. So I see both sides but I’m curious as to UAB policy