2018-2019 University of Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys! I'm an MD/PhD student here at UAB (all MSTP students stay on the Birmingham campus). Feel free to ask me any questions that a current student can potentially answer throughout this process! Please just comment in this thread and tag me directly so that I can see/respond for all to see as my schedule allows. :)

Good luck!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys! I'm an MD/PhD student here at UAB (all MSTP students stay on the Birmingham campus). Feel free to ask me any questions that a current student can potentially answer throughout this process! Please just comment in this thread and tag me directly so that I can see/respond for all to see as my schedule allows. :)

Good luck!!!!
@starfun21
Hi! I'd love to hear about your experiences as an MD/PhD student and just in general at UAB. I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1) UAB seems like a smaller program; how do you feel about the quality of the labs and graduate programs?
2) What's the average class size for MSTP? Do you happen to know the average graduation time?
3) What's the environment of Birmingham like? I'm a person of color and I've lived in pretty costal/progressive areas for my whole life. I don't want to paint the whole state with a single brush, but I've heard some stories of intolerance, racism, etc.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I will try!

1. Would you mind defining 'smaller' for me? Do you mean in terms of size, and if so, size of what (city, class, campus, etc)? Our med school class size is on the larger end in the nation for class size as far as I know (~185 students per entering class) and Birmingham isn't a super small city at least compared to where I've grown up, so I just want to make sure I answer your question correctly since the subject of what you might mean isn't jumping out at me right away. (Sorry, probably my fault!)

2. We take ~8 students each year in the MSTP. Our average graduation time (as I recall) is 7.8 years. This is slightly below the national average for MSTPs, which I believe is currently 8.2 years. :)

3. Good question, and a tough one. I think almost every aspect of this question is going to be different for every student. I personally love Birmingham! I knew when I was looking for schools that I wanted to have access to some bigger city resources, but that I also wanted to be able to drive to/from campus every day (and preferably a short drive without big city traffic). I wanted to be able to afford to rent a small house on my own and not worry about apartment living, etc. I have definitely found all of that in Birmingham, and I love that the city has lots of different neighborhoods with tons of different vibes to it. The culture of the MSTP in particular is also exceptional - it definitely is a family-type vibe and I always feel so accepted and supported by my program. They've helped me through lots of messy personal situations and tough times.

I will also add that Birmingham as a whole is far more progressive than what you may think of when you think of Alabama or our more rural areas (but do note that I really can't speak as much to our branch sites, since I haven't been to them really). In thinking of my medical school class, I can certainly think of people who are both Republicans and Democrats, and I can think of people whose beliefs have changed since they arrived to UAB. Many of our students are pretty fierce advocates for causes they are passionate about, but I also feel like my classmates are respectful of those who have different views than their own. I personally kind of enjoy the mix and the balance that we have. Our Student National Medical Association (the oldest and largest student-run org focused on the needs and concerns of minority students) and our LGBTQ+ student associations are some of our strongest on campus -- our SNMA chapter actually just won multiple national awards, and one of our students was named member of the year nationally.

However, I have only ever lived in pretty small towns (so Birmingham feels kinda big to me!) and have never visited CA. So I would imagine that my perspective from my previous experience is probably VERY different than yours!! I definitely think UAB would have a different 'feel' as opposed to schools in CA or NYC, but since I haven't visited either, I unfortunately can't be too much more specific in making comparisons. Hopefully this still helps a little though? And I hope you have the privilege of interviewing at many schools in different places so you can feel them out for yourself and see what you like!

Last edited:
Secondary Recieved
Essays:
1. Non-Alabama Resident with Ties to Alabama: Describe any ties or meaningful experiences you have had related to the state of Alabama or UAB Medical Center (1500 char)

2. All Applicants: if the area you spent most of your life before college differs from where you currently consider your permanent address, please explain (1500 char)

3. *Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now? (750 char)

4. Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application: (750 char)

5. Briefly indicate how you would add diversity to our medical school class: (750 char)

Slightly weird question if anyone can help me - UAB asks for elementary/middle and high schools and says if you attended more than one to list the one that you attended the longest. I attended 3 middle schools ( a different one each year) and spent 3 years at two of my elementary schools (one with K, 1st, 2nd and the other with 3rd, 4th, 5th) is there a preference for one of them or a reason to list both? Do I list all three middle schools or just choose one at random since I attended each one for a year? Any insight would be very helpful!
Thank you all :)

Slightly weird question if anyone can help me - UAB asks for elementary/middle and high schools and says if you attended more than one to list the one that you attended the longest. I attended 3 middle schools ( a different one each year) and spent 3 years at two of my elementary schools (one with K, 1st, 2nd and the other with 3rd, 4th, 5th) is there a preference for one of them or a reason to list both? Do I list all three middle schools or just choose one at random since I attended each one for a year? Any insight would be very helpful!
Hey, I had the same issue but for elementary school. I listed the school that I graduated from.

Reactions: 1 user
I still haven't received anything... :(

@starfun21 do you know if the Primary Track option requires that students go down the primary care route, TBH, I can't really see myself working in a field outside of primary care, so I'm like 90% that's the are that I want to go into, but I suppose I feel as if I should still keep the door open just in case...

Unfortunately, no, I don't know enough about that track to really speak to it. I think I have a few friends here who may do it (not really sure though?) but it's so new that it wasn't around when I applied. Sorry!!

Anyone know when UAB starts sends out IIs?

Supposedly August 1st, at least in past years. If my understanding is correct though, those early offers are first extended to those who applied early decision.

Edit: Slightly incorrect. Early Decision was notified around Aug. 22nd last year.

Last edited:
FML. I submitted the application fee, but forgot to submit my application. Thank God they sent out an extra email...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have any insight? First rejection of the cycle.

Edit: I'm also in a state that borders Alabama
They are big on ties to AL. Undergrad, family in the state, past resident of AL, and/or wife's family in the state.

If I'm thinking right, you're from my state. Do you have any meaningful ties to AL?

They are big on ties to AL. Undergrad, family in the state, past resident of AL, and/or wife's family in the state.

If I'm thinking right, you're from my state. Do you have any meaningful ties to AL?

No meaningful ones. I’ll move on

LM 71. OOS. Wife’s family from the state. Extensive laboratory and clinical research experience with three publications (1 first author). I have had abstracts presented at 11 national conferences. Employed as a CNA. My MCAT is a few points above the median. Chances?
UAB likes research and they like Alabama connections, so I think you are good to go and should apply!

II today. Complete 8/20. MSTP. LizzyM 71.6. URM.

Edit: I also have Alabama ties

Reactions: 3 users
II just now, third time applicant. Interviewed and rejected during my first round and didn't even get an interview invite during my second round.

65 LizzyM, 1 year full time bench research, currently working clinical research and volunteer at the crisis center, in-state graduated from UAB.

I submitted my secondary on 8/20. How much longer do you chaps reckon it will take to find out about an interview?

I submitted my secondary on 8/20. How much longer do you chaps reckon it will take to find out about an interview?
I was wondering the same thing. I submitted mine on 8/21. I keep checking the status and just says complete. Based on the applicant website, it says it will change to under review, or something similar. Any input from ones that have already received II?

I was wondering the same thing. I submitted mine on 8/21. I keep checking the status and just says complete. Based on the applicant website, it says it will change to under review, or something similar. Any input from ones that have already received II?
It took roughly a month for me to hear back about an II. I was complete as soon as I submitted my secondary, which you can check under the status tab.

It took roughly a month for me to hear back about an II. I was complete as soon as I submitted my secondary, which you can check under the status tab.
Did your status ever change to anything reflecting it being under review by the ACOM?

I submitted my secondary on July 6 for the regular MD program. I have not heard anything back about a II.

Please help!! I submitted my app without including my connections to the state of Alabama (I am OOS, but attended summer camp/was a counselor at the same camp for 13 summers 2 hours north of Birmingham). Would it be worth it for me to submit an "update" document with this info? The summer camp counselor is included in my AMCAS activities, and is one of my most influential ones, but does not include my extended history with the area. GAH I'm so mad I did this, would greatly appreciate any insight!!

Please help!! I submitted my app without including my connections to the state of Alabama (I am OOS, but attended summer camp/was a counselor at the same camp for 13 summers 2 hours north of Birmingham). Would it be worth it for me to submit an "update" document with this info? The summer camp counselor is included in my AMCAS activities, and is one of my most influential ones, but does not include my extended history with the area. GAH I'm so mad I did this, would greatly appreciate any insight!!
Email or call them. Some schools re-open your secondary for editing. Some allow updates. Others can't do anything for you. It varies. Good luck!

Do people carry their resume for Med school interviews?

II, I'm in state and did undergrad at UAB. My secondary was complete on 8/21.

When describing the differences between the two areas you've lived in, do you think it is a good idea to incorporate their contrasts in health and the implications of these differences for the patient population? Would it also be wise to express how the differences have impacted your decision to pursue medicine (if it applies)? Or do you think that is overkill and just describing the two areas will suffice?

I don’t wanna make anyone feel bad or anything but I JUST GOT MY FIRST REJECTION!! From UAB nonetheless. This is such a monumental step forward in my future! I wish everyone luck at this cycle! As always, trust the process.

Reactions: 1 user