2018-2019 University of Central Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have all the interview invitations been handed out @REL ?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@REL how long should our critical analysis of our application be? Will you have access to our application or should we include details? Will you let us know if our evaluation of our application is correct?
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the critical analysis for? That wasn’t part of the original app, was it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the critical analysis for? That wasn’t part of the original app, was it?

Probably an option for people whose cycles didn’t churn up acceptances for them to get feedback. They first assess on their own and then the ucf admissions office gives them comprehensive feedback

I have not received a rejection nor II yet. I wonder if all II have been handed out already.

Has anyone asked when the next waitlist update is going out? The January one went out about 4 weeks ago, but I wasn't sure if they were going to wait until the interview season is complete to send the next one. (I didn't want to bother emailing them in case someone on here already had an answer.) Thanks in advance!

The last monthly update went out January 19. You should get another this week that will include the real Choose Your Medical School info. The two options that applicants can select are OPTIONAL, you do not need select anything until April 30 at the earliest. The Plan to Enroll OPTION is totally worthless, dont even bother with it.

Reactions: 9 users
Heard that I'm in the upper 1/3 portion of the waitlist! Wish this had been a firm acceptance so I could be done with the process but I am still trying to be positive that things will all work in my favor. Time to use some patience and wait until May! Fingers crossed, I loved this place and would go here in a heartbeat.

Heard that I'm in the upper 1/3 portion of the waitlist! Wish this had been a firm acceptance so I could be done with the process but I am still trying to be positive that things will all work in my favor. Time to use some patience and wait until May! Fingers crossed, I loved this place and would go here in a heartbeat.
Was this the first time you heard back since interviewing? Or have you been on the waitlist for a while?

Was this the first time you heard back since interviewing? Or have you been on the waitlist for a while?
First time. I interviewed 2/1

Have hope! I heard back sooner than I thought I would. Your chances of getting off the waitlist are likely if you’re in upper 1/3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have hope! I heard back sooner than I thought I would. Your chances of getting off the waitlist are likely if you’re in upper 1/3.
Agree. I was waitlist for a week or two and then was accepted.

Anyone else still waiting on their February “not yet accepted” list update?

Reactions: 1 users
Have you ever found it stressful when or if one of your grades is a C? The student handbook says that when someone earns a C, they are put under a formal review. There have been past posts on SDN that this does indeed make things more stressful for students struggling here and there

Bump

I suspect that is an older version of our policy. Less than 10% of our students have a "C" average because of the criterion referenced grading system, not the norm reference that you are subjected to. The criterion reference system means that you get the grade you work for and a "C" grade is no longer subjected to any special scrutiny as of ~3 classes ago. I would be interested in the url so that this can be removed. This system is part of why our graduates match into the nine traditionally most competitive residencies several percentage points above any other program in our state over the last two years and why our graduates are in the upper one-half of the upper quartile of the nation in service to others, research presentations/posters/abstracts, and Step I and Step II scores according to the match program outcomes. These data are for the last three year aggregate period.

Last edited:
@REL i know you said you dont like post interview letters of intent because they may not be genuine, but if i have other offers and truly want UCF is there any way i can show that i am genuine?

@REL i know you said you dont like post interview letters of intent because they may not be genuine, but if i have other offers and truly want UCF is there any way i can show that i am genuine?
Yes, my most recent monthly update that was sent to all has a statement that I will entertain LOI's if they are absolutely pledging to drop all other acceptances when we make an offer. An LOI with such a statement would hold some weight. I have found that some did not receive the monthly update sent on Monday or Tuesday. If you did not, please email us to resend.

Anyone else interview 2/8 that is nervous to hear back today??? I'm sweatin' haha

Yes, my most recent monthly update that was sent to all has a statement that I will entertain LOI's if they are absolutely pledging to drop all other acceptances when we make an offer. An LOI with such a statement would hold some weight. I have found that some did not receive the monthly update sent on Monday or Tuesday. If you did not, please email us to resend.

If i interviewed 2/11 and was expecting to hear back on 3/6 should i send my LOI now and it will be viewed by the admissions committee or is it too late?

Update: I just got bumped up from the lower 1/2 of the upper 1/3rd to the upper 1/2 of the upper 1/3rd. Looks like theres already movement!

Reactions: 2 users
Update: I just got bumped up from the lower 1/2 of the upper 1/3rd to the upper 1/2 of the upper 1/3rd. Looks like theres already movement!
How did you find this out? Was an update email sent out?

As they interview more candidates, they'll file in the Not Yet Accepted list, and a group from the top is removed with each group that's accepted-- there's movement all cycle in this way; both in people coming from the top, but also new candidates may file in behind you on the list, making your position higher up in the 1/3s system

Excuse my ignorance, but a quick question for any current students or students that attended interview this cycle. I've heard "whispers" of UCF burning bridges with ORMC and Florida Hospital (Advent Health now, I guess) so their current relationship isn't the best. What would that mean for a new matriculant to the school?

Also, any updated news about the estimated completion time for the Hospital?

Just got the call, waitlisted. Upper half of the middle 1/3. Is this usually and accepted position or a soft rejection ?

Excuse my ignorance, but a quick question for any current students or students that attended interview this cycle. I've heard "whispers" of UCF burning bridges with ORMC and Florida Hospital (Advent Health now, I guess) so their current relationship isn't the best. What would that mean for a new matriculant to the school?

Also, any updated news about the estimated completion time for the Hospital?

There is a long and a short answer. The short answer is that the administrators at ORMC and AH simply could not play together for the good of the population of Orlando. Both wanted to work with the COM, but neither would consent to work with the other. Let me be very plain that the physicians in both systems are sick that their "leaders" have made this decision to not work together for the third year clerkships. The Docs in both systems see great value in our relationship and definitely want to see our students in the 4th year and their residencies. Note that we all knew that this was coming and the COM has been developing relationships with multiple teaching hospitals to support our students during their clerkship years. This includes multiple HCA hospitals as well as our two strong partners here in Lake Nona (Nemours Pediatric Hospital and the very large VA Hospital). ORMC and AH actually maintained their relationship with us until we were fully developed to support our students in the clerkship year before making this decision. Our new UCF Hospital will open here in Lake Nona at the end of 2020 and will also become a hospital to train our students.

There is a long and a short answer. The short answer is that the administrators at ORMC and AH simply could not play together for the good of the population of Orlando. Both wanted to work with the COM, but neither would consent to work with the other. Let me be very plain that the physicians in both systems are sick that their "leaders" have made this decision to not work together for the third year clerkships. The Docs in both systems see great value in our relationship and definitely want to see our students in the 4th year and their residencies. Note that we all knew that this was coming and the COM has been developing relationships with multiple teaching hospitals to support our students during their clerkship years. This includes multiple HCA hospitals as well as our two strong partners here in Lake Nona (Nemours Pediatric Hospital and the very large VA Hospital). ORMC and AH actually maintained their relationship with us until we were fully developed to support our students in the clerkship year before making this decision. Our new UCF Hospital will open here in Lake Nona at the end of 2020 and will also become a hospital to train our students.
@REL will there be a transition period, or will the class of 2023(?) be the first to have clerkships here?

@REL will there be a transition period, or will the class of 2023(?) be the first to have clerkships here?
We have been transitioning over the last couple of years so not much will be new; anything new will be new to us, but will have already been training medical students in the clinicals.

This was also told to our group when we interviewed....

That’s surprising because post II acceptance rates from here in the past haven’t been too low. They did recently take 80 from their WL at one point so I guess they make a lot of use of that. After all, there’s not a single school that would make their acceptance pool bigger than their waitlist pool, and thus immediate post II acceptance rates are all under 40-50%

Got the call this morning, accepted OOS!

Good luck to UCF with match day tomorrow!

REL just out of curiosity, are you one of the people that gets the list on Wednesday before everyone else?

https://med.ucf.edu/media/2019/03/Match-Results-by-Specialty-2019.pdf

For your viewing pleasure.

3 plastics matches, ain't bad. There is less of the other competitive specialties than normal though.

Peds seems a lot more popular now.

Can someone explain the consortium programs and transitional years? Also why doesn't this list show prelim years for internal med and surgery like I believe it did in the past?

Last edited:
REL just out of curiosity, are you one of the people that gets the list on Wednesday before everyone else?
NO, this absolutely only for the COM Deans of Student Affairs and the COM Director of Student Services, the Registrar has to wait like everyone else. I have not had the time to look at the details of this list yet.

When can we expect financial aid packages to be sent out?

Has anyone else from the "Not Yet Accepted" list been invited to Second Look? Just want to see if it is even reasonable to go given i havent gotten an acceptance and dont want to waste the money

When is the latest date we could hear a final decision of an offer off the Not Yet Accepted list? UCF is absolutely my first choice, but I don’t want to sabotage my second choice by not making living arrangements, sending in final forms, etc. becasue of waiting too long for the final word :/