2018-2019 University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does CU send out acceptances on Mondays only?
Usually the Monday after an adcom meeting the Friday before. With the holiday not sure how that affected the schedule. Interviews are every other Friday. Interviews seem to be scheduled for 1/11, 1/25, 2,8, and 2/22....so maybe an adcom meeting this past Fri so perhaps decisions today?

Members don't see this ad.

any pre-II rejections yet?
They will most likely send the rejection letters after the last interview date which seems to be 2/22, so if we do not hear by February 1st we are probably not getting an II.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who has already interviewed tell me if it was closed or open file please?
From their website: "At the time of the interview, the AMCAS personal statement, the Colorado Essay, experiences from the application, and legal residence, are available to interviewers."

Reactions: 1 user
Trying to understand this school! Don't want to sound presumptuous but don't understand how I can get interviews at 2 state schools [OOS] and not my IS school? Really frustrating since this school is near the top of my list.

Reactions: 6 users
Trying to understand this school! Don't want to sound presumptuous but don't understand how I can get interviews at 2 state schools [OOS] and not my IS school? Really frustrating since this school is near the top of my list.

I feel the same way. I interviewed here last year when I was considered OOS and this is one of my top 2 schools.

OOS. Received an II on 11/7 and am interviewing this Friday. I am extremely excited and nervous. :bear:

Reactions: 4 users
Complete 7/8. IS. Have worked at an affiliated hospital for the past 4 years. Come on colorado please give me some love

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What percent of IS applicants does Colorado usually interview? I could have sworn I was a fairly competitive IS applicant...

Reactions: 3 users
What percent of IS applicants does Colorado usually interview? I could have sworn I was a fairly competitive IS applicant...
You still are if they have not rejected you :) Here is the screen shot from my MSAR, 2017-2018 cycle:
upload_2019-1-11_9-13-50.png

Hey, I feel you! I'm also IS and currently doing research through their school of pharmacy on campus. GPA and MCAT are both above the previous year's matriculation average and yet I still haven't heard anything from them since Oct. about my application being under review. Losing hope at this point, but thankfully I have acceptances from other schools. Looks like you have quite a few other interview invites, so I would not take it personally, as frustrating as it is. I just interviewed at U of Minnesota with another applicant from Colorado who says she hasn't heard anything back from them either, and she already had acceptances to 2 OOS schools as well. Seems like the IS just might not be as much of an advantage this year. I hope this helped a little, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it too, so you are not alone. Best of luck through this cycle!

Hey, I feel you! I'm also IS and currently doing research through their school of pharmacy on campus. GPA and MCAT are both above the previous year's matriculation average and yet I still haven't heard anything from them since Oct. about my application being under review. Losing hope at this point, but thankfully I have acceptances from other schools. Looks like you have quite a few other interview invites, so I would not take it personally, as frustrating as it is. I just interviewed at U of Minnesota with another applicant from Colorado who says she hasn't heard anything back from them either, and she already had acceptances to 2 OOS schools as well. Seems like the IS just might not be as much of an advantage this year. I hope this helped a little, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it too, so you are not alone. Best of luck through this cycle!

It's not simply frustrating, it is downright unjustified. I am planning to file a class action lawsuit against CU for these practices. In the state of Texas, there are, what, 8 or 9 in-state schools that each have a 90%+ IS student policy. There is only one in-state school for Colorado. They have an obligation to admit more IS students. And it's not like the IS students that have been ignored are unqualified applicants. Many of them are definitely qualified for CU.

Or else, what are our property taxes going to? To them ignoring our applications so they can admit more OOS for the sake of more tuition money?

It's not simply frustrating, it is downright unjustified. I am planning to file a class action lawsuit against CU for these practices. In the state of Texas, there are, what, 8 or 9 in-state schools that each have a 90%+ IS student policy. There is only one in-state school for Colorado. They have an obligation to admit more IS students. And it's not like the IS students that have been ignored are unqualified applicants. Many of them are definitely qualified for CU.

Or else, what are our property taxes going to? To them ignoring our applications so they can admit more OOS for the sake of more tuition money?
Technically, if we consider both allopathic and osteopathic, there is RVU-COM

On my interview day there was a large amount of OOS applicants, way more than I was expecting. A student I stayed with also said they believe that their class was even more OOS this past year compared to previous years. The school seems to truly be looking for a diverse student population and that means becoming more accepting to OOS applicants. I felt like diversity was truly emphasized on the interview day.

The student I stayed with also talked about how unfair it was that IS Colorado students only have CUSOM for an allopathic school while surrounding states had more options to apply to schools in different states as IS. It seems incredibly frustrating to all you qualified IS students. I hope CUSOM will still be showing y'all some love but if they don't, don't lose hope. This process is draining and random, but we all WILL be doctors one day if we just keep at it.

Chief called, he said this ain't it.

I'm not quite sure you understand what property taxes are used for. Plus CUSOM could easily be highly selective for IS pre-II and have a high IS acceptance rate post-II. You're basing your assumptions on a forum and nobody simply knows what exactly CUSOM is doing until data is released. Just chill out, its a stressful process.

Reactions: 3 users

That is not grounds for a lawsuit... if you have an issue you should write representatives in the state legislature. Or just move to texas. Only takes a year to get residency there

Chief called, he said this ain't it.

I'm not quite sure you understand what property taxes are used for. Plus CUSOM could easily be highly selective for IS pre-II and have a high IS acceptance rate post-II. You're basing your assumptions on a forum and nobody simply knows what exactly CUSOM is doing until data is released. Just chill out, its a stressful process.

Public universities rely on subsidies from their state government. In-staters pay taxes to that state, so you bet part of your property taxes go to fund these universities.

And, FYI, data has already been released. Their website (Selection Criteria | School of Medicine | University of Colorado Denver) says that half of their class is OOS. So no, it's not an assumption. CUSOM has already stated the facts.

That is not grounds for a lawsuit... if you have an issue you should write representatives in the state legislature. Or just move to texas. Only takes a year to get residency there

Yea, like the government ever gets anything done quickly.

Yea, like the government ever gets anything done quickly.
Well they're the ones who control state funding to the school and can set oos caps... there's a reason why Texas is so IS friendly and it's not because the adcoms at their schools just love texans. It all starts in the legislature. If you want great IS advantage quickly, move to texas. If you want Colorado to provide better IS advantage, lobby the legislature.

Well they're the ones who control state funding to the school and can set oos caps... there's a reason why Texas is so IS friendly and it's not because the adcoms at their schools just love texans. It all starts in the legislature. If you want great IS advantage quickly, move to texas. If you want Colorado to provide better IS advantage, lobby the legislature.

I get that, but neither of those options are particularly simple to accomplish.

You asked what your property taxes are going to. It is definitely not solely for medical school is the point I was getting at.

You know how selective they have to be for IS applicants versus OOS applicants pre and post-II to achieve 50/50? I get it’s frustrating but if they don’t have any fiscal motivation or mission to accept a higher rate of IS students then why do it? If you want that heavy in-state bias move to Texas like you said. Every state school is different.

I understand what you mean, and yes, you're right, my property taxes are not solely going to the medical school. Part of it is, that's all.

The mission to accept a higher rate of IS students is that Colorado has a shortage of doctors, at least in the rural areas. In-state students are far more likely to stay in state to practice, compared to the departure rate of OOS students.

Gentle reminder that CU received over 8,000 applications this cycle, more than ever (I have a close friend that goes there). They simply don't have enough slots to interview all qualified applicants, let alone accept all of them. The great majority of the student body is CO residents.

Reactions: 2 users
not that I have seen..... The tracker on the website still says Nov 19 but pretty sure that the interview invited have increased to 582... Not sure it that was the case when they last updated the tracker. If 582 have been given out and reported goal is 660 then not many left for us still waiting[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Gentle reminder that CU received over 8,000 applications this cycle, more than ever (I have a close friend that goes there). They simply don't have enough slots to interview all qualified applicants, let alone accept all of them. The great majority of the student body is CO residents.

Roughly half the class is IS and a decent amount of OOS were Colorado residents who (for some reason or another) didn't make the "cut" as an IS resident so they have to pay out the wazoo for an accountable student fee. CU has a pretty large class size for a medical school. About 50% of our class is cut-and-dry IS, which is about 92 students. There are a lot of public schools with class sizes < 125 where there's probably not 92 IS students.

Based on the MSAR data, any IS student has about a 1/3 chance of getting an interview. All things considered those are pretty good odds. I know the cycle is frustrating but you guys are almost there. Keep in mind there's no shame in having to reapply. I did and so did a lot of my classmates.

Roughly half the class is IS and a decent amount of OOS were Colorado residents who (for some reason or another) didn't make the "cut" as an IS resident so they have to pay out the wazoo for an accountable student fee. CU has a pretty large class size for a medical school. About 50% of our class is cut-and-dry IS, which is about 92 students. There are a lot of public schools with class sizes < 125 where there's probably not 92 IS students.

Based on the MSAR data, any IS student has about a 1/3 chance of getting an interview. All things considered, those are pretty good odds. I know the cycle is frustrating but you guys are almost there. Keep in mind there's no shame in having to reapply. I did and so did a lot of my classmates.
Hello! So this is exactly me.... I am born and raised in Colorado and got admitted but they just declared me as out of state since I don't have a job (did not file income tax in Colorado) and I don't have a car registered in Colorado. By chance do you have any suggestions on how I can make sure I get my instate tuition? I am going to file income tax and will probably buy a car and register it in around June.

Hello! So this is exactly me.... I am born and raised in Colorado and got admitted but they just declared me as out of state since I don't have a job (did not file income tax in Colorado) and I don't have a car registered in Colorado. By chance do you have any suggestions on how I can make sure I get my instate tuition? I am going to file income tax and will probably buy a car and register it in around June.

You can appeal the decision. You'll get a form to fill out that asks a few more questions and they get back to you maybe a month later? I don't remember the exact timeline. If the car you're driving is registered under your parents name then (not financial advice) I wouldn't disclose it on the form. It's all retroactive and looking at taxes and how long you've been in the state, though, so I doubt the car situation plays that big of a role.

Was hoping for 12/7 people to get Acceptances next Monday but just realized next Monday is a holiday. What do you guys think? :wtf:

Does anyone know if that "under review" email in October meant anything? Still holding out hope here

Does anyone know if that "under review" email in October meant anything? Still holding out hope here

Doubt there's anyway to know. I got an II like a week after the "under review" email, but lot of people haven't heard anything since.

So I have been complete since early-November but I still have not heard anything yet... Is anyone else in this same situation?
I haven't even received the "under review" email...

So I have been complete since early-November but I still have not heard anything yet... Is anyone else in this same situation?
I haven't even received the "under review" email...
The "still under review" email was sent 10/25.

FINGERS CROSSED ADCOM MEETS TODAY LETS GO BABY NEXT WEEK IS OUR WEEK

FINGERS CROSSED ADCOM MEETS TODAY LETS GO BABY NEXT WEEK IS OUR WEEK

I've been as cool as a cucumber the past 6 weeks since interviewing 12/7. They said it'd be 6-8 weeks to hear from them. So...next week, anxiety strikes.

I've been as cool as a cucumber the past 6 weeks since interviewing 12/7. They said it'd be 6-8 weeks to hear from them. So...next week, anxiety strikes.
I feel you. Hook em horns. But I guess also Sko Buffs

Any IS applicants still waiting on an II since completing in August?

Reactions: 6 users